Old 09-21-2013, 06:23 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: micheleredit
Stats: 153/148/105
WOE: Ketogenic (high fat,low carb)
Start Date: April 4th, 2014
From Paleo to Atkins?

Hey!!!

Just wondering if anyone went from eating the Paleo way back to Atkins?? I am what I would call metabolically broken LOL.

I have BAD insulin resistance, estrogen dominance symptoms and need to get this weight off badly in order to get healthy and hopefully get pregnant one day.

It has taken me two years to lose 10 measely pounds on the Paleo plan, so here I am back to Atkins induction.

However I struggle on this plan for two reasons. How do you all make this a lifestyle?? On the weekends I usually make pancakes with almond flour and pizza made with gluten free flour or almond flour?? Does anyone know of any good websites with good Atkins Induction recipes for the weekend???

The other reason is this. I seem to find tons of recipes with processed foods in them. It has been drilled into my head not to eat processed food.

I am trying to do a clean Atkins Induction with no processed foods at all. Again how do I do clean baking and make this a lifestyle.

Sorry I needed to vent tonight. Sick of being sick and fat!!!!

I am only 5'0 and currently 145 pounds. I need to get at least 30 pounds off this frame!!!! Would LOVE to go from a size large to a small.

Thanks for all your patience!!!!

micheleredit is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2013, 07:20 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
Have you ever checked out all of the great recipes on Linda Sues site? Jut google her. She has a great deep dish pizza that is really good. The crust is made out of cheese. Carolyn from the blog alldayidreamaboutfood has a ton of great LC, GF recipes. I have a couple of different almond flour cakes I make from her site that are delicious.

I find that a low carb plan is much easier to follow when you eat real food as opposed to a lot of processed junk.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:42 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

OMG that is super helpful!!!!!

Thanks!!!!
Old 09-21-2013, 08:47 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: spareld
Stats: 5'4 cw:142/gw:115
WOE: Keto/low carb
Start Date: August 26, 2013
try coconut flour I believe it's less carbs
spareld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:16 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks!!!! I've been using coconut flour but I think it's time to go down to Induction levels again!!!!!

Was just wondering what non processed Atkins induction recipes are out there???
Old 09-21-2013, 09:18 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
I would say just cut out the carbier things you're eating and maybe add more meats/fats to replace. I eat almost no processed things at all doing low carb. I do use artificial sweetener, but it would be easy (although not necessarily so tasty) to replace with stevia. And I have a weakness for trader joe's mesquite almonds, but otherwise I have no processed foods. I also don't eat any grains.

And while you're in weight loss mode, you may have to just eat your normal foods over the weekend. Or maybe you can find something less carb that feels like a treat to you. My idea of a treat has changed so much over the last couple of years. Lately, an ounce or two of really great cheddar will do it for me, which is amazing. It used to be that I just *needed choc cake*.

Have you thought about trying nutritional ketosis? If you're very resistant to weight loss, it would be worth a shot.

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:31 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks soo much!!!!!

Yeah I'm starting nutritional ketosis is pretty much induction correct?????

I'm starting today!!!!
Old 09-22-2013, 06:32 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

I mean I'm starting Atkins induction today.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:42 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 84k
Stats: 280 > 205.2 > 200
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 7/5/2013
I imagine the switch is easy, keep doing paleo but reduce carbs and up fats. It also sounds like you haven't come to terms with the fact that certain foods are wrong for you as you keep trying to replicate them with substituted ingredients, get your head space right and you should have no problems.
84k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:55 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84k View Post
I imagine the switch is easy, keep doing paleo but reduce carbs and up fats. It also sounds like you haven't come to terms with the fact that certain foods are wrong for you as you keep trying to replicate them with substituted ingredients, get your head space right and you should have no problems.

Sigh your all soo right!!!!!! I'm grieving the loss of sweet potatoes and even Paleo pancakes made with almond flour which runs around 20 grams carbs per serve. Put maple syrup and vegan chocolate chips with that (ALL Paleo approved) and your carb level is through the roof!!!!!

Since my body is soo hormonally off with Insulin resistance, some PCOS issues and infertility I think it's time to give up the carbs. I just didn't know how to make this a lifestyle???

The last thing I want is to regain all of the weight back plus more!!!!

I really do appreciate everyone's help!!!

Old 09-22-2013, 07:28 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
You can make almond flour pancakes for way less than 20 net grams of carbs. there are lots of recipes...once you get past induction that is...it is only 2 weeks so that is not bad.
I use the mim recipe variations for muffins bread and pancakes...for the pancakes I just thin out the batter a lil and fry it up...I will say I use 2tbs almond flour to 1 tbs fllax in the recipes...just google mim recipes. Or look under recipe help section here.
Ouzoid has a good oat fiber muffin that is induction friendly and would probably make great pancakes...look it up and remember you can change up anything, as her muffin was posted as chocolate and I left out the cocoa and decreased the liquid to make blueberry muffins...the RECIPE HELP forum here is a great resource...good luck and you CAN do this.

Being fat is Hard...Dieting is Hard... Pick your hard

Live, Laugh, Love and...LEARN from mistakes

65 pounds lost so far and not looking back
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:29 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 84k
Stats: 280 > 205.2 > 200
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 7/5/2013
It's a challenge. I've been overweight massively for 10+ years, I've not yoyo dieter but gone through periods of increased activity which in turn lost weight, and calorie restrictions which worked. Nothing fully commited but then they stopped. I heard about keto, then read up on Atkins, and almost 5 months later I'm down 50lbs. And I'm not really that determined, I didn't suffer health problems, was fairly physically fit and quite enjoyed my life, but as soon as those lbs came off that was it, stayed on plan ever since. I will admit, when I hit my goal I am planning a carb heavy meal, but I'm not stupid enough to let it all pile back on, I hope
84k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:48 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84k View Post
It's a challenge. I've been overweight massively for 10+ years, I've not yoyo dieter but gone through periods of increased activity which in turn lost weight, and calorie restrictions which worked. Nothing fully commited but then they stopped. I heard about keto, then read up on Atkins, and almost 5 months later I'm down 50lbs. And I'm not really that determined, I didn't suffer health problems, was fairly physically fit and quite enjoyed my life, but as soon as those lbs came off that was it, stayed on plan ever since. I will admit, when I hit my goal I am planning a carb heavy meal, but I'm not stupid enough to let it all pile back on, I hope

WOW!!! Thats awesome!!!! I think up until the Atkins part you just described my life!!!

Day one of Induction here we come weight loss!!!!

Old 09-22-2013, 08:49 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lterry913 View Post
You can make almond flour pancakes for way less than 20 net grams of carbs. there are lots of recipes...once you get past induction that is...it is only 2 weeks so that is not bad.
I use the mim recipe variations for muffins bread and pancakes...for the pancakes I just thin out the batter a lil and fry it up...I will say I use 2tbs almond flour to 1 tbs fllax in the recipes...just google mim recipes. Or look under recipe help section here.
Ouzoid has a good oat fiber muffin that is induction friendly and would probably make great pancakes...look it up and remember you can change up anything, as her muffin was posted as chocolate and I left out the cocoa and decreased the liquid to make blueberry muffins...the RECIPE HELP forum here is a great resource...good luck and you CAN do this.

Thanks!!!!

I'm going to stay at Induction levels until I'm at goal.

Going to try and do this as a lifestyle and then sloowwwly up the carbs once I'm at goal.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:50 AM   #15
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Paleo is a healthy way to live, but not necessarily to lose weight. Especially with chocolate chips and maple syrup.

Mark Sisson is the primal/paleo guy I am most familiar with and in his book (and probably on his site) he talks about the different levels of carbs for different goals. Less than 50 he calls the fat-burning zone (or something like that, it has been a while). Higher than that is healthy living. IIRC, he doesn't advocate more than about 100-150 for anyone, even if they all come from "approved" foods.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:26 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: girondet
Stats: Maintaining 125-128, 5'5"
WOE: Bernstein/paleo
Start Date: May 2009
I like to eat paleo but will always have to keep carbs on the lower side to keep my weight down, and also to keep my blood sugar in a good range. Starches are usually not worth bothering with when I'd have to eat such a low amount. I do eat a little bit of fruit, but it's often just a little accent on my plate....1/4 banana, 1/3 of a peach, 1/4 small apple, etc and only once per day. It has taken me a while to figure out how my body works but it is what it is.

Maybe if I were more athletic and had lots more muscle I could eat sweet potatoes the way some paleos do.

Anyway, eating paleo does not allow me to eat more carbs without gaining.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:27 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AmyP
WOE: Paleo Low Carb
I'm kind of in your same boat. Actually gained some weight from not being careful with carbs while paleo. I did discover that I can't do grains at all and lose weight (I have eaten paleo for a couple years now and did a Whole30 where I lost..wait for it...wait for it...3 pounds).

I am back on Paleo/Low carb. I can't even eat a lot of veg and lose weight. It is very difficult. I don't make any 'substitute' foods like pancakes or muffins...too calorie dense and I can't have a normal portion size so I just don't even go there!

Good luck to us!! It's an uphill climb for sure!
Old 09-23-2013, 02:26 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

I just checked out sugar free Sheila's website. Looks like she has a LOT of great recipes.

First things first is getting through the carb withdrawal. EEeeeek!!!
Old 09-25-2013, 01:31 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
I just in the past 2 days went into my website and tagged all INDUCTION FRIENDLY recipes. Click the link on the right side of the page to get a list of them with pics.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:23 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
I just in the past 2 days went into my website and tagged all INDUCTION FRIENDLY recipes. Click the link on the right side of the page to get a list of them with pics.

OMG i just checked it out!!!!

You are awesome!!!

Thanks!!
Old 09-26-2013, 05:58 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
I think you would do best reading dandr by Atkins. There is little about Atkins that requires you to eat processed foods. As a matter if fact, eating simply with naturally low carb foods is the hallmark of the eating plan. You probably can make the transition easily by cutting out starches
Spanilingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:09 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oliveoyl
Stats: 208/166/165
WOE: Low Carb Primal
Start Date: August 2002
Just doing induction helps cleanse your palate, so to speak. Sweet things taste too sweet after induction and too many carbs make you feel weak and spacey.
oliveoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:25 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Pony47
Stats: Highest 228 27 yrs ago/115 maintaining 5'6"
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: many times over 20 yrs/from size 24 to size 0
I tried Paleo for a while. Didn't lose any weight and may have gained some. As with any diet, even allowed foods can still be eaten in overabundance. I think having honey in Paleo diet was a downfall for me. I was baking and baking and it was really good. I'm back to Atkins. But I stay away from sugar except for Truvia in a pitcher of tea and in my coffee. And I don't bake - period. I've been doing Atkins for 2 weeks and lost 8 pounds. I was busting out of my clothes and sick of being fat. It's not an easy lifestyle, although the Atkins frozen meals are coming in handy. I don't seem to eat very much anymore, but I'm also not hungry anymore. Low carbs, for me, keeps me from being hungry. I have had to make food a non-priority in my life because it WAS my priority and joy.
Pony47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:07 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yvonnem2000
Stats: 148.6/151/135
WOE: Atkins Induction + veggies
Start Date: April 2012
Nutritional ketosis is a subset of Atkins where you limit protein, too, and get majority of calories from fat. Some of us get an insulin response even from protein, so we lose best when we keep it at a certain level.

Good luck on your transition!
Yvonnem2000 is offline   Reply With Quote