Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2013, 02:58 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
Has anyone ever had a problematic reaction to coconut oil?

Yesterday I purchased Nutiva coconut oil from whole Foods and added 1tsp to the curried beef soup I ate for dinner last night. I also rubbed some on my lips and on my hands. This morning I had another teaspoon to my coffee. Later in the morning I noticed the skin on my face was quite red and felt tight and rather dry. It feels almost like a sunburn. I wasn't in the sun yesterday and I can't identify anything different or new in my environment or diet other than the coconut oil. I plan to not use it again until this dermatological problem recedes but meanwhile I'm curious about whether anyone else may have experienced a similar issue.
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2013, 03:53 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: spareld
Stats: 5'4 cw:142/gw:115
WOE: Keto/low carb
Start Date: August 26, 2013
are you sure its from the coconut oil? have you changed anything else in your diet and or skin regimen?
spareld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:11 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

It is definitely coconut oil...Nutiva organic extra virgin, cold-pressed, unrefined. I haven't changed anything else in diet or skin regimen that I can think of. Fortunately the discomfort seems to have lessened a little at this point although my skin is still quite pink. If I focused on the silver lining I might say I have a healthy glow. I guess I'll refrain from ingesting more until Monday and if my face is back to normal by then I may try 1/2 tsp and see what happens.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:34 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
I can't eat CO. It makes me very anxious feeling. I do use it on my skin with no problems though.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:45 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nspeedracer
Stats: 149/137.4/115 5'3''0
Coconut oil can cause a Herx if you have Lyme or probably upset Candida. It is antimicrobial and can cause die off.
nspeedracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:30 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Girlieschmoo
Stats: 142/124/121
WOE: Maria Emmerich and "No S"
Did you have any internal allergic reaction (swollen tongue or throat, hives, etc) or just from the external application?
Girlieschmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:30 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: muffles
Stats: 112.2/106.7/65kg
WOE: leptin reset , OA
Start Date: 11/11/13
Yes! I tried putting coconut oil on my face. Within 30 minutes my skin felt hot and went red like sunburn . It faded the next day. However , when I eat coconut oil, I fell fine and have no symptons of a reaction.
muffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:35 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Girlieschmoo, I'm assuming the reaction is internal and related to the CO I ingested. I suppose it is something like hives, although it doesn't itch. My face is red, tight feeling, and I have a burning sensation on the face. I never applied the CO topically to my face although I did rub it into my hands and lips.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:44 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Thank you Muffles. My reaction seems exactly like the one you describe although I never rubbed the oil on my face. I am still experiencing the effects but hope they will diminish in a reasonable amount of time.

And thank you nspeesracer. I had never before heard of Herx but your comment led
me to do some reading which reassured me. Apparently I'm not alone in having a sensitivity to CO.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:37 PM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: in Twoterville :)
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
Lola,

Coconut oil gives me not only upset stomach, but also rashes when I apply it topically. And it's not the alleged candida die-off, either. It comes to me in the form of hives which take a while to disappear. I now stay away from it completely.

I used to use it liberally as a moisturizer and one day I guess my body rebelled and I started getting the rashes. If you google "rash from coconut oil" you will see that allergic skin reactions to CO are not as rare as we think.
Eliza_Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:13 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Thank you Eliza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza_Jazz View Post
Lola,

Coconut oil gives me not only upset stomach, but also rashes when I apply it topically. And it's not the alleged candida die-off, either. It comes to me in the form of hives which take a while to disappear. I now stay away from it completely.

I used to use it liberally as a moisturizer and one day I guess my body rebelled and I started getting the rashes. If you google "rash from coconut oil" you will see that allergic skin reactions to CO are not as rare as we think.
I appreciate this info. My 'sunburn' lasted almost a week and somewhat unnerved me. More recently I've begun to re-introduce CO into my diet but I've done it very cautiously, adding less than 1/4 tsp to other fats when sautéing
meats for soup. So far no ill effects from that. I'm afraid to apply it topically though and your experience seems to validate my fear. Thanks for responding.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:20 PM   #12
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: in Twoterville :)
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaGetz View Post
I appreciate this info. My 'sunburn' lasted almost a week and somewhat unnerved me. More recently I've begun to re-introduce CO into my diet but I've done it very cautiously, adding less than 1/4 tsp to other fats when sautéing
meats for soup. So far no ill effects from that. I'm afraid to apply it topically though and your experience seems to validate my fear. Thanks for responding.
I would watch taking it internally as well and any skin reactions from that. I recently, without paying attention, ate something that had CO in it and got me a nice set of hives all over again. For me personally both topical application and ingestion of CO cause problems.
Eliza_Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:25 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza_Jazz View Post
I would watch taking it internally as well and any skin reactions from that. I recently, without paying attention, ate something that had CO in it and got me a nice set of hives all over again. For me personally both topical application and ingestion of CO cause problems.
Thanks for the heads up, Eliza.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:36 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: evas
Stats: 255/215/155
WOE: Mostly Primal + IF
Coconut oil has never bothered my skin but I have heard some people say that it gives them terrible breakouts.
evas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:24 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UghNowWhat
Other than hitting my gag reflex, no.

That is weird though considering Nutiva is supposed to be one of the best brands.
UghNowWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:45 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Skinny Train
Please...Please...Caution!!!

If you have any sort of reaction, possibly resembling an allergic reaction, DO NOT continue to use the product that caused the reaction in the first place. A mild reaction this time does not guarantee that the next reaction will be mild. If in doubt, speak to your physician...but in the meantime, please don't use the coconut oil, or anything else that elicits a reaction.
Skinny Train is offline   Reply With Quote