Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Blocked nose on low carb? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/812658-blocked-nose-low-carb.html)

Jaycey 09-21-2013 07:03 AM

Blocked nose on low carb?

I just wondered if anyone else suffered from a blocked stuffy nose when starting a low carb diet? I knew about other side-effects such as icky mouth/breath, headachey, etc. - but not this! I'm a sinusitis sufferer anyway, but not all the time - but every day I've woken up since starting the diet, my sinuses are feeling really tender and sore, and my forehead is all throbby - just like a new bout of sinusitis! :sad:

FitMommyNow 09-21-2013 07:08 AM

Could be allergies or increased dairy intake.

llisarray 09-21-2013 07:16 AM

It's allergy season again here in the south....something new is always blooming or sprouting. Probably just coincidence that your sinus issues kicked in the same time you started lc.

Strawberry 09-21-2013 07:17 AM

I know of no specific connection between low carb and a blocked nose.

Sounds like pure coincidence.

I hope you feel better soon!

Jaycey 09-21-2013 07:57 AM

Thanks all! I must say, that 'increased dairy intake' suggestion struck a chord - I've heard of the connection before - hmmm! :sad: (Shall have to keep monitoring this!)

skinni 09-21-2013 08:15 AM

Low carb usually has a helpful effect on allergies and inflammation. Unless you've suddenly started eating something you're sensitive to, of course.

GME 09-21-2013 08:56 AM

Too much dairy does that to me.

webcrystal 09-21-2013 06:57 PM

Sinus

It could be that you've introduced something that you are allergic to. You may want to keep a food diary and elimination diet.

In regards to dairy - my son has a mild dairy allergy (true allergy). he can have small amounts of cheese but no milk and if he has too much he starts feeling the effects (sinus, gastrointestinal distress, the big d. (tmi I know), etc.).

The other culprit could be soy or eggs since they are often eaten more on low carb and are one of the more common food allergens. (along with pnuts and tree nuts.

Jaycey 09-22-2013 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by webcrystal (Post 16614112)
It could be that you've introduced something that you are allergic to. You may want to keep a food diary and elimination diet.

In regards to dairy - my son has a mild dairy allergy (true allergy). he can have small amounts of cheese but no milk and if he has too much he starts feeling the effects (sinus, gastrointestinal distress, the big d. (tmi I know), etc.).

The other culprit could be soy or eggs since they are often eaten more on low carb and are one of the more common food allergens. (along with pnuts and tree nuts.

This is very interesting - thanks! :) As it happens, I am keeping a food diary (using a great little iPad app called MySymptoms, where you record food, symptoms & meds) - the results are inconclusive so far, but I think in time a pattern could well emerge. I'm certainly upping my egg & cheese intake, so I could be looking at the culprits right there! Close monitoring from now on - and I'll report back if an obvious cause rears itself up way beyond others, it might be helpful for other people.

suzanneyea 09-22-2013 04:04 AM

Too much dairy does it for me too

Jaycey 09-22-2013 06:13 AM

Thanks all - I wondering if it might be the cream, it's something I'd never normally eat, & I'm only having it because I feel I've got to?!