LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2013, 04:27 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ASHLEY2HAWAII
Stats: 196/186/125
WOE: ATKINS 72
Start Date: RESTART 7-8-14
Low Carb on $30 a week

I was laid off from my job and my husband is going to start Atkins 72 induction starting on Monday I loved looking at the other low cost threads, but it was for 2009 and food costs have really increased. The previous challenge was for 20 a week, so I think 30 would be good. I just wish he liked dark meat chicken, it cost much less.
Thanks for the input!!
ASHLEY2HAWAII is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2013, 04:34 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sirtain
Stats: 202then/154March/Xnow/140soon
WOE: Paleo+JUDDD
Start Date: March 2013
Eggs.
Pork butt/shoulder roast in the crockpot.
Frozen spinach cubes.
Dumpster diving at the farmer's market.
Sirtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:25 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/139.4/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
Our local grocery store brings out the meat that they've marked down each morning around 10 am. There's nothing wrong with it, it's usually just 2-3 days before the expiration date, so whatever they mark down is what I grab and plan my meals around that for the week. Just yesterday I picked up 3 packages of chicken legs for under $1 per package. You might talk to your local butcher and see if they do something similar and what time each day they bring it out if they do.
MtherGoos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:31 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtherGoos View Post
Our local grocery store brings out the meat that they've marked down each morning around 10 am. There's nothing wrong with it, it's usually just 2-3 days before the expiration date, so whatever they mark down is what I grab and plan my meals around that for the week. Just yesterday I picked up 3 packages of chicken legs for under $1 per package. You might talk to your local butcher and see if they do something similar and what time each day they bring it out if they do.
What store? I live in Gilbert, Arizona. I do not live any where near a butcher
Old 09-20-2013, 05:35 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

At Basha's. We have Basha's here in Havasu, but I don't know if they have them in Gilbert. I've also found the same kind of deals at WalMart.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:37 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
At Basha's. We have Basha's here in Havasu, but I don't know if they have them in Gilbert. I've also found the same kind of deals at WalMart.
Oh good I am about 3 miles form Basha's, I was there yesterday picking up bone in chicken breast for .99 a lb
Old 09-20-2013, 05:42 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Yes, you can really find some great deals there!
Old 09-20-2013, 06:10 PM   #8

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
be a detective. talk to people about where the bargains are in your particular area.

here, one of the highest cost of living places in the nation, we have Grocery Outlet stores where pretty much everything costs half or less what you would pay at the big grocery stores. you learn that the expiration dates printed on most products are nonsense. even something like cheese, if it's in a manufacturer wrapping and bacteria free for the most part, can easily last six months past the expiration date and be fine. if you shop "opportunistitcally" as they call it, and buy what's cheap rather than some predetermined grocery list, you can do incredibly well.

we also have a grocery store that marks produce down in bags in a cart in the corner of the produce dept. for either 99 cents or $2 you get a LOT of whatever it is. I got 3 lb of perfectly good fancy mushrooms that go for $15.99/lb for $3 last week. yes, $1 a pound! typically we find mixed summer squashes like zucchini, turnips, lemon cucumbers, and other stuff like that. not everything every week, you just eat what's cheap and looks good.

recently we had a 99 Cent store open near us too. THeir produce is incredible and all .9999 cents an item. We get little tubs with 4 small heads of beautiful exotic lettuces including frisee, the occasional indulgence in a tub of raspberries, 2 large portobello mushrooms, the list is almost endless. again, they have what they can get cheap, not the same things every week, so you need to be flexible. they are also good for many other things like pork rinds for .9999.

when you are looking at groceries, start up conversations with the other shoppers about prices. you never know when they have great tips and sources you can use!

good luck.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:35 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Catzmom
Stats: 228/179/145
WOE: THM
Start Date: Half-hearted start 10/12 - Re-start July 25, 2013
Many of the dollar stores also carry fish in the frozen section, including salmon, tilapia and perch. Feel the packages to make sure you are getting the biggest pieces.
Catzmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:51 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UghNowWhat
Since he likes light mean, ground, white turkey tends to be cheap. It's low in fat though but you can just make up the fat elsewhere..doesn't have to come meat.
UghNowWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:53 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UghNowWhat
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHLEY2HAWAII View Post
What store? I live in Gilbert, Arizona. I do not live any where near a butcher
All major grocery stores have a meat department/butcher. The people that actually package the meat and put it out and cut it up. You don't have to go to a special meat place for that.
UghNowWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:00 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wiiiifit
Stats: 20/12/8
WOE: LC/JUDDD
Start Date: Feb 2012
Watch for marked down rotisserie chicken in both the warmers and the refrigerated section. I regularly get these for 2.99 which is cheaper than uncooked. We eat the breast for dinner with a green veggie. Then, pull the rest of the meat off and season for chicken soft tacos or season like buffalo wings for salad or wraps. The carcass and the skin goes into a stock pot for bone broth. That's several meals.

Look for sales on eggs, chicken, ground turkey. Frozen green veggies are cheap, and I get a bag of romaine hearts for $2.
wiiiifit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:23 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: twindaze
You can buy a whole chicken and roast it yourself too. They are often only 89 cents per lb. You can roast it in the oven or in a crockpot. You could also cut it up and cook the pieces separately.
twindaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:07 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mcneilnomore
Stats: 309/305/150
WOE: moderate carbs and calories
Start Date: 3/10/14
Have you looked into the 3000 club? Im in tucson and they move around all over the state. Its 60 pounds of vegetables for $10. No lie, we used to do it every Saturday. They close for the summer but will be back in October.
mcneilnomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:58 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UghNowWhat View Post
All major grocery stores have a meat department/butcher. The people that actually package the meat and put it out and cut it up. You don't have to go to a special meat place for that.
Yes, I know that but they are using the same meat that is in the case, I have my own grinder and knife to do what they do and besides, you can never find one if you need one!
Old 09-21-2013, 07:01 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twindaze View Post
You can buy a whole chicken and roast it yourself too. They are often only 89 cents per lb. You can roast it in the oven or in a crockpot. You could also cut it up and cook the pieces separately.
Thanks, I wish we liked dark meat poultry It would either go to the dogs or be a waste, I just buy chicken when it is on sale 1.99 lb or less.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:57 AM   #17
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
pork butt. half a bottle of Frank's hot sauce. Crockpot on low 8 hrs, then pull to shred.
Good with slaw or cooked cabbage.

Pork Chops with an egg on top. and/or with canned or frozen green beans. Good with a slice of tomato if you've got one.

taco salad--- hamburger or leftover chicken seasoned with chili powder and whatever else is in your spice cabinet. Serve on shredded lettuce with cheese. (my copycat recipe is 1 tbl chili powder, 1 1/2 tsp cumin, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp paprika, and 1/4 tsp EACH of garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, oregano)
Old 09-21-2013, 09:46 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCWizard
Stats: No More Scale
WOE: No Sugar Added & Persistence
I always buy more meat when on a strict budget...keeps you fuller and goes further for leftovers. I always try to have leftovers from dinner for lunch the next day. Sit down and plan out one major meal for each day of the week (dinner). Buy eggs for bfast. Cheese if its on sale.
LCWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:01 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtain View Post
Pork butt/shoulder roast in the crockpot.
I used to do my pork shoulder in the crockpot. Makes it nice and juicy; easy to shred. Soft texture.

But now I rub it with spices (you can find rubs in the store -- make sure they don't have sugar) and then roast it overnight in the oven very low (250). The "crust" that forms adds immeasurably to the taste and gives an amazing depth to the flavor when it's shredded all together.

Sometimes I don't even bother with a sauce. I just eat a bowl of shredded pork reheated with a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:22 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Midlyfechrysalis
Stats: 237/212/something healthy
WOE: Meat, veggies, eggs, limited dairy
Start Date: 9/7/13 (interupted 10/15 by car accident)
I agree with the clearance meat. I'm in metro Houston, and I know when the local stores mark down meat. (Kroger will also mark down prepared and ready produce to a price less than if I purchased it all separately and prepared it myself.)

I "hit" those stores at night, and plan our menus around those purchases.
Midlyfechrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:41 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
I also really dislike dark meat. However, I have found that I can tolerate legs from rotisserie chickens if I bathe them in hot sauce/butter mix and dip them in ranch, like hot wings. The dark meat is also not too bad if I sneak some into chicken veggie soup, it overlooks and gets more dry and less dark meat-ish in quality.

Kroger is one of those stores that marks down their rotisserie chickens to 2.99 after 8pm.

It looks like you are in Arizona... Not sure how avocado prices are there, but in Texas, I could frequently get 3 or 4 avocados for a dollar, especially at Walmart. They are induction friendly and make a great hearty addition to salads or on top of Mexican style soups. They are a great soure of healthy fats and you don't feel the need to eat as much meat with added avocado.
One of my favorite salads is avocado chunks, sprinkled with lemon juice to keep them from going brown, mixed with tomatoes, hard boiled eggs, and bacon.

Last edited by Strawberry; 09-22-2013 at 05:48 PM..
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:50 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aleina
Stats: 224/ 172.9 31 Jan /150
WOE: Epi Paleo
Start Date: 15 Nov 2012 various WOES
This will help no one here as I am at the other end of the world to you, but it is a good exercise for me and hopefully interesting to you.

2.2 lbs chicken quarters $3
rump steak 4.5lbs $10
stewing steak 2.2 lbs $4
chicken filet 2.2 lbs $5
cabbage 2.2 lbs $2
30 eggs $5
6 oz butter $0.80

Total $29.80

It is interesting actually that including more vegetables would have made the whole thing a lot more pricey so a gaucho style diet is still the cheapest here if you know where to shop.Here it is a case of going to the wholesaler outlets which sell small quantities as well. Buying the same things in the supermarket would cost double.

[SIZE="1"CMy journal : http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...626-50-go.html

Everything and nothing is poison. The amount alone decides whether it becomes a poison or not -Paracelsus[/SIZE]

Last edited by Aleina; 09-22-2013 at 05:52 PM..
Aleina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:54 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Forgot to mention.....to keep your meals tasting special, it's nice to have spices to add....check if you have a store with bulk bins for spices so that you can buy 25 cents worth of something and not having to buy a 4 dollar bottle of that spice.
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:09 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tinamanni
Stats: 250/192/150
WOE: 80% fat
I'm a big Aldi fan - they can really help for dairy, cheese and veggies. We buy the marked down meat at our local grocery store. The biggest way to cut down is to plan though, make sure you aren't wasting any.

Also, soups are great. Buy a whole chicken and boil it making your own stock. add veggies to the stock and shred the chicken and put back in.
tinamanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:23 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sirtain
Stats: 202then/154March/Xnow/140soon
WOE: Paleo+JUDDD
Start Date: March 2013
You might like to look at the~ Panera CEO eats for $31.50 per week~ thread. Several people posted what low carb menus they would plan for that amount. Some good ideas.
Sirtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:23 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: erinmarie
Stats: 137/118/ 110
WOE: Modified Atkins/ vlc/frankenfood free
Start Date: last start 8/11, restart 7/28/13
Food prices vary so widely depending on locale. Here, Wednesday is produce day at all the major markets, many items are 1/2 price. A head of lettuce is about 25 cents. A kilo of tomatoes. ( 2.2 lbs) runs less than a buck. A huge head of cabbage is abut fifty cents. Fresh garlic onion and peppers are super cheap and avaocados are about 5 for a buck. I add celery and carrots are also budget friendly and there's the staple cauliflower which is a bit pricey at 2 bucks a head. I add in whatever else is looking good ( fresh green beans herbs broccoli) and make my own salad mixes and slaws. Produce is the cheapest part of our diet, I can load up for the week for five to ten bucks. Fruits are low on weds too.

In the us produce was outrageous.

Meat is a diff story. Leg quarters aren't inter a buck a lb but I can get two very meaty quarters for 1.50. Breasts vary in cost. However pork is low in cost and I can usually get superior cuts of beef for far less than they would be in America.

30 eggs are 5 bucks us

So I would load up on veggies... If dark meat chicken is out, I would do a large pork roast, a couple nice steaks, and some chops. Maybe ground beef if it is on special. I would ( and do) hit the deli for the odds and ends they package and discount. I get ham and turkey ends or chorizo and mix into eggs for dh breakfast every day, and if I have cheese on hand I will sprinkle that on... Salad withboiled eggs and leftover meat for lunch and meat sals veggies and a veggie side for dinner at night. Soup is also a great and satisfying option for using up leftovers and making smaller quantities o meat stretch . Oh, and don't forget real butter for sautéing the eggs meat and veggies. Bouillon cubes are also low carb cheap and versatile for flavor and soup bases.

It can be done !! I'm on a much tighter budget than usual this week, and I'm being creative and rationing the more expensive ingredients and its been fine. In fact, its been pretty tasty and probably cuts out the carb creep and excess calories in the way of extra cheese, butter hwc etc... Just a touch instead of drowning stuff with it
erinmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:35 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Amber_Baby
Stats: 266/266/168, 5'9", 27
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 19th May 2015
Wow, $30 is £18.71 here. I'd shop like this:

Aldi
6 x chicken legs - £3.45
2 x large gammon steaks - £1.99
16 slices bacon - £1.99
18 free range eggs - £3
2 x tins tuna - 2 x 99p = £1.98
2 x iceberg lettuce - 2 x 43p = 86p
2 x cherry tomatoes - 2 x 49p = 98p
broccoli - 49p
1kg onions - 49p
250g cheddar - £1.49
250g butter - 98p
jar of mayo 89p

= £18.60

I've only just discovered - I admit I had low expectations so I didn't give it a chance for a long time... I'm so glad I finally did.

If avoiding dark meat chicken you could switch that out for some pork, turkey or minced beef.

Last edited by Amber_Baby; 09-23-2013 at 06:37 AM..
Amber_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:39 AM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 170.4/170.4/140...48 years old
WOE: JUDDD/low carb
Start Date: Start date: July 16, 2014
Quote:
Our Market Basket does that and they mark down the frozen hamburger, I got 3 1lb packages for $1.50 each the other day, nothing wrong with it except that it was frozen (I freeze all the hamburger I buy anyways so who cares...).
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:38 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
In AZ, we have Market on the Move, which is in different places every week, but you can get a lot of veggies for a little. We also have Bountiful Baskets, which is a Co-op where you can pick up a basket of fresh fruit and veggies for $15 (organic is $25). They also have breads and seasonal items you can add. You usually order on Monday or Tuesday and pick up Saturday at a park near your house. Google both. And the dollar store has fruits and veggies too...just know your prices because sometimes you can get it cheaper in the store on sale, but a dollar for a bag of lettuce or baby spinach is great!

For meat, Bashas and Frys have a lot of manager's specials and buy 1 get 1 deals (Frys had that on chicken burgers and sausages for many weeks awhile ago). Also, does anyone you know get the Sunday paper? Are they willing to pass some meat coupons on to you? Sometimes the dollar store (it's a "99 Cents Only") has papers - the one near me does if you get there early enough. Most of the coupons are useless (if low carb), but they do have meat, sausage, and cheese coupons sometimes. Also, if you coupon, you truly never have to buy toothpaste again...

Oh, and Costco has their rotisserie chickens for $4.99, so I think that's a great deal too. Costco also has the kerrygold butter 3 bars for $6.79...best deal in town. Coscto also has large bags of frozen chicken breasts or thighs for a good deal. I like that you can take out one at a time with those. I buy a lot of my groceries at Trader Joes - they actually have fantastic prices on most things everyday. They have the best deals on cheese hands down.

Last edited by DD80; 09-23-2013 at 09:42 AM..
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:12 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jmc305
Stats: 323/220/205
WOE: Atkins mostly
Start Date: September 2011
You know something that I think is incredibly stupid? At Kroger's yesterday, I was looking at a package of ribs that was in the warmer with the rotisserie chickens and such. Suddenly, a clerk swooped in and picked up the ribs and took them away. i asked what she was doing and she said "they've been out here too long, gotta throw them away." I said why not mark them down a little, and I'll buy them. Nope, that's against store policy. You can either buy them at full price if you want, or I'm throwing them out. HUH? Didn't make a bit of sense to me!! People are starving and those ribs wound up in the trash can. And I'm sure they pass the costs of such waste onto us, the consumers.
jmc305 is offline   Reply With Quote