Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2013, 03:42 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Changeling
WOE: Low carb & lifting weights & HIIT
Start Date: 23 July 2013
Does anyone here eat 1 meal per day only?

Hi everyone

I understand how the up day and down day thing works, but I've been reading about some people skipping breakfast (and some skipping lunch too) and just eating 1 bigger meal per day, and having success with that.

Have any of you tried that? And what was your experience?

Thanks, I've not quite found my way of eating yet and would really appreciate any feedback to help me make a good choice.
Changeling is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2013, 06:57 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
There are a lot of threads on this. You can search for intermittent fasting.

I sometimes do one meal a day, but usually two. It works great for me- I don't have to be thinking about meals all day long and then get to have a bigger meal when I do eat. You just have to make sure to keep hydrated throughout the day- I drink water and homemade broth.

I started this during weight loss and now maintain this way.
nolcjunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:26 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Skinny Train
I have eaten one meal with a snack off and on for many, many years. Oddly enough, it's the only way I've eaten where I felt almost totally in control of my eating and cravings. I have to be careful not to get so hungry that I obsess over what my meal and/or snack will consist of. My old family physician ate this way. It didn't start out as a way to lose weight for him, as he wasn't overweight, but rather because he simply didn't have time to eat. He concluded that most Americans simply eat way too much. Period. He ate this way for many, many years. He stayed away from simple carbs and ate what was likely a paleo diet. Lower fat, lean proteins, and green veggies. No starchy foods at all.
Skinny Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:42 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/170/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2, 2012
Sometimes I eat this way and quite frankly it does help me lose weight. I have always been a breakfast skipper -- usually coffee with cream and a big glass of water fill me up. On the weekends, we skip breakfast and then exercise. We eat one big meal in the middle of the day (usually around 2:00 PM or so -- by then, we are hungry). It is not a crazy big ass meal - mostly protein (either grilled chicken or steak or a pork chop), a fresh green vegetable (broccoli or asparagus or spinach) and a fresh green salad. I make sure to have some fat at this meal (either olive oil for in the salad dressing or homemade hollandaise or a sprinkle of good quality romano cheese for the veggies) because fat keeps you full and satiated. If we are still hungry, I plan a very light dessert of fresh strawberries and no-sugar whipped cream for us around 5:00 PM. If my fiance is still hungry later at night, he will snack on nuts. I usually just have a cup of decaf or tea.

We feel this gives our bodies a break and we feel better when we wake up the next day.
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:52 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: baileygirl3
Stats: 177/135/135
WOE: Low Carb
I hate to admit this but right now my youngest is in preschool on Mon, Wed, & Fri and on those days only I am only eating one meal a day cause I am running around like crazy..but you know what, over this past month, I was able to break a stall and finally hit my goal this morning. I drink lots of water though in between. Not sure if that helped.
baileygirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:12 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 175.8/162.4/140...47 years old
WOE: JUDDD/low carb
Start Date: Start date: January 1, 2014
I usually skip breakfast, i'm very rarely hungry before 11:00 or so. I did do JUDDD (a type of IF) and lost very very well on it (20lbs in 7 weeks!), it was tough to stick to though and I've put it all back on...plus! I'm toying with the 6 hour eating window plan but doing low carb.
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:48 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: margame
Stats: size 1x/2x ---> 12 and shrinking (5'7")
WOE: lc:>10%c/20-30%p/60-70%f
Start Date: jul 2012
it depends on what you consider a "meal".
i work a splitshift so i find my main meal is middle of the day. the rest of the "meal times" is usually snacks, boiled eggs, cheese, small salads etc.
margame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:50 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: micheleredit
Stats: 153/148/105
WOE: Ketogenic (high fat,low carb)
Start Date: April 4th, 2014
Nope I try not to skip meals. I'm worried about the stalling out your metabolism thing.
micheleredit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:36 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kittycatmom
Stats: 184/159/150
WOE: Low carb, high fat, moderate protein / gluten free
Start Date: August 2013
With the way life has been going the last few days, I've been eating really, only dinner. I have a few cups of tea/half and half during the day, but just the one meal.

I've been paying careful attention to how I feel, and I'm comfortably not hungry, and my mind is clearer. It's interesting. This week, things should get back to normal and I will eat mid afternoon again along with a late dinner. (if)

Last edited by Kittycatmom; 09-22-2013 at 11:38 AM..
Kittycatmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:03 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pickles1010
Stats: 198 /190.5 /160 5'8
WOE: ATKINS 72
Start Date: Jan. 2004/ Restart:Jan 2014
The only meal we eat at a certain time is dinner. Breakfast depends how hungry or busy I am, sometimes I am starving when I get up and sometimes I am losing track of time and don't eat till I remember. I never
eat just because its a mealtime.
pickles1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:16 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Changeling
WOE: Low carb & lifting weights & HIIT
Start Date: 23 July 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileygirl3 View Post
I hate to admit this but right now my youngest is in preschool on Mon, Wed, & Fri and on those days only I am only eating one meal a day cause I am running around like crazy..but you know what, over this past month, I was able to break a stall and finally hit my goal this morning. I drink lots of water though in between. Not sure if that helped.
Congratulations on hitting your goal! Yes, that certainly helped, thanks. I'm going to do this and see how it goes. I plan to skip breakfast and lunch and eat only dinner - a nice bigish dinner, but not a binge! Just a nice generous plate of food. Low Carb. And IF I get so hungry during the day that I really feel that my body needs something, I will have a boiled egg - especially in the beginning while I'm still getting used to it. I'll also have black unsweetened coffee and tea, and water of course.
Changeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:01 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Olive
WOE: Atkins DANDR
Start Date: April 10 2014
There's nothing embarrassing or "hate to admit" about only eating once a day...the health/weight loss benefits are proven at this point I believe?

I am such a dinner person. Ideally, I wish I could discipline myself to do those 18-hour IFs on a regular basis but I just get crankypants if I don't have protein in the afternoon.
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:08 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/154/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by micheleredit View Post
Nope I try not to skip meals. I'm worried about the stalling out your metabolism thing.
This is so odd to hear from a paleo person (aren't you just switching from paleo to low carb?). I thought that paleo and IF went together like peanut butter and jelly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changeling View Post
I'm going to do this and see how it goes. I plan to skip breakfast and lunch and eat only dinner - a nice bigish dinner, but not a binge! Just a nice generous plate of food. Low Carb. And IF I get so hungry during the day that I really feel that my body needs something, I will have a boiled egg - especially in the beginning while I'm still getting used to it. I'll also have black unsweetened coffee and tea, and water of course.
I eat only dinner, at around 7 pm, most days. Lately I've set a goal of 10 meals a week, but it turns out that I never want a second "meal", though some days I do want a snack, like an ounce or two of cheese. If I feel like I *need* to eat earlier in the day, I try to make it a very high fat snack. In my world fat doesn't count. I think you still get a lot of the benefits of IF'ing even if you've eaten some fat. You just don't want to trigger your insulin response (which you will do with protein). And I drink my coffee w heavy whipping cream.

ckd support group thread

gynema thread

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb, intermittent fasting
I have walked 162 miles since April 1.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:38 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Marching in here all mad as heck. At myself of course, as all you people are wonderful. I keep trying to make myself fit some pattern of what one is supposed to do in order to lose weight. I've been trying for a long time, but mainly the past 6 weeks or so to find something that is do-able for me. While I may not lose fast eating one meal a day...dangnabbit...it's the way I'm happiest, and I'm going back to it full force tomorrow.

Any time I try to eat during the daytime, I binge. I may not binge on day one, but it's coming on day two...or three...you get the picture. Eating once a day takes away all that urge to binge. I don't know why, but it does. No, my furnace does not get "stoked," and my metabolism may slow down, but that's why I'm supposed to be active during the day. Activity counteracts the slowdown. Move, Skinny Train...MOVE! NO MORE INSANITY!

Back to one meal per day tomorrow, and taking two strolls with my kids per day. Ahhhh. I feel so much better.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:13 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Evidently getting mad works. Haven't had a single bite yet today (it's after 2 here) and going strong. Stomach growled around 11:30, but passed quickly. Much more quickly than if I'd grabbed a nibble of something along the way.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:18 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

So far, fantastic! I've had more energy the past two days than I've had the past 2 months. This is definitely the way my body is meant to function. I'm probably getting in 1200 or so calories at night. I'm eating one meal and a snack. I wouldn't eat the snack, but I can't sleep if my stomach is growling even a little bit. I would lay awake for hours, ha! A piece of cheese usually does the trick. Feel soooooo much better. I encourage anyone who has tried everything and just can't seem to kill the binge monster...give it a try.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:25 PM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Nickg303
Stats: 188/168/175
WOE: fat fat and more fat! ZERO CARB!!! yummy meats
Start Date: September 2013
New to keto diet here, been on this diet for a little over a week now.

Before i started this diet I would probably eat anywhere from 4000-10000 calories a day, i was never fat (i have hyperthyroidism) and i weighed 185ish pounds.

now after a week of dieting i am down to 168, and for the past 2 days my hunger has dropped by incredible amounts.

I am now only eating 2-3 times a day.. drinking nothing but water but feel great and happy for the most part =]

I remember on day 3-5 i was super hungry with horrible stomach pains but that passed =]

i feel a lot lighter, went on a run around the lake today and felt pretty good!

i am falling in love with this new lifestyle.
Nickg303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:50 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: afcgirl
WOE: Southbeach/Atkins
Start Date: February 22, 2004
I eat within a 5-hour window every day, from 1:00 pm to 6:00 pm.

For me it works great as I am not that hungry in the morning. Then I have a lot of calories to work with in the afternoon/evening and I do not feel like bingeing late night
afcgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:00 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: canadiangirl
Stats: 162/125/125
WOE: Low Carb/ ReducedCalorie
Start Date: June 12, 2012
In ketosis I am rarely hungery but I made such a routine out of meal times that I ate regardless to ensure that I got enough fat and calories to lose weight. I have been stalled since last November! Just recently, with school back in I have allowed myself to only eat when hungry
I have my 2 coffees in the morning and drink alot of water because I am thursty but for food I am saving a nice meal to have at dinner and eat with my family. The thing that has shoked me is the weight that is literally falling off. I didnt expect this at all. I have gone from 137 down to 125 (my goal hit this morning) in three weeks! I weighed 137 on Sept 3 and today I am 125. I never feel hungry but if my sugar falls too low and few grapes will help me feel much better.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:52 AM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/145.6/?
WOE: lc
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiangirl View Post
In ketosis I am rarely hungery but I made such a routine out of meal times that I ate regardless to ensure that I got enough fat and calories to lose weight. I have been stalled since last November! Just recently, with school back in I have allowed myself to only eat when hungry
I have my 2 coffees in the morning and drink alot of water because I am thursty but for food I am saving a nice meal to have at dinner and eat with my family. The thing that has shoked me is the weight that is literally falling off. I didnt expect this at all. I have gone from 137 down to 125 (my goal hit this morning) in three weeks! I weighed 137 on Sept 3 and today I am 125. I never feel hungry but if my sugar falls too low and few grapes will help me feel much better.
That's interesting Vanessa you are the second person I have seen recently that posted they got to goal weight by basically eating one meal after having been stalled for a while. I am going to try to eat this way more often.
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:10 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
Very interesting thread. Thanks, everyone!
Emily-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:52 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: seaofsand
Stats: 236/225/135
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: April 2014
I've been doing a kind of intermittent fasting during the week for the last couple of months. I don't eat between 7:00 p.m. and 11:00 a.m., and some days I don't eat my first meal until much later than 11:00. I tried JUDDD last year, and did it for several weeks before it just became too stringent for me. This kind of fasting seems to work for me, though. Also, the last couple of days, I haven't been feeling well, so I've only been having one meal a day. This morning, I was down two pounds. I could definitely get used to one big meal a day if it means the weight will start coming off faster.

seaofsand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:23 PM   #23
Z
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Z
Stats: 350/250.0/155
WOE: Permanent Induction
Start Date: September 2012
@seaofsand - Mad props for quoting Cantrell.

I've been eating my usual two or three meals a day (below 20g carbohydrate). Just this last week I've started eating only a single meal on Monday (which is effectively my Saturday).

After doing this just once - and being stuck at 266 for more than a month - I've managed to break through the plateaux. I've lost weight every day this week, and as of today I'm down to 261.0.

The reasoning is to keep my metabolism in peak condition and burning a lot of fat, and then remove its supply of dietary fat for one day a week. It is my hope - and it appears to be the case - that this slight dietary modification will be sufficient to keep me losing weight consistently.

Shark Sandwich: One man's epic journey from fat to slightly less fat.

Year-end Mega Challenge!
Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:02 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ocean
Stats: 240/144/ Below 145 5'1.5"
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: June 2010
I don't eat just one meal, but my breakfasts and lunches are usually small. I usually just have an Atkins shake for breakfast. I will bring a small meal to work for lunch. My latest kick is 3 ounces of chicken with low carb bbq sauce. Then I have a good sized dinner. I'm not really trying to control my portions. I am just busy during the day and don't have the time or desire to eat a big meal.
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:39 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susan41
Stats: 243/195/?
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 4th 2013 sugar first, then LC august 25th
I am migrating towards 1 meal a day without planning it, breakfast is always just coffee and then "lunch" is maybe 2oz protein and fat, then dinner is generally the bigger meal that gets me thru til the next day, that's where I have my big dose of protein and fat. Didn't plan that but working nights til 2 am (sleeping late) lends a hand in that.
susan41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:29 PM   #26
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: teri f
Stats: 203/127/125
WOE: High fat VLC
Start Date: Original start: January 3, 2001. Restart 6/18/2007
I pretty much do this during the week. Bullet proof coffee in the morning and I'm on the road all day and never eat lunch. My husband is retired and has dinner ready when I get home. It works for me.
teri f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:18 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/154/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Train View Post
Any time I try to eat during the daytime, I binge. I may not binge on day one, but it's coming on day two...or three...you get the picture. Eating once a day takes away all that urge to binge. I don't know why, but it does. No, my furnace does not get "stoked," and my metabolism may slow down, but that's why I'm supposed to be active during the day. Activity counteracts the slowdown. Move, Skinny Train...MOVE! NO MORE INSANITY!
This has been my experience, too. I feel great all day if I fast and even if I'm hungry at some point, it passes and all is well... as long as I don't actually have anything to eat. If I eat, I just can't seem to stop. It doesn't feel like it's about hunger, but all I can think about is food.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:50 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Still going strong. My weight is at 221.4, but I had gone back up to 224 before getting started last week because the more i tried to control what i ate during the day, the more out of control I was. I can barely believe how much better I feel. The urge to binge is completely gone and I really only want to eat when I'm hungry. Every day it gets easier. I may not end up losing quickly, but I don't care at this point. I just feel good.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:50 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: evas
Stats: 255/215/155
WOE: Mostly Primal + IF
I prefer to skip breakfast, have a very small lunch ("snack size" to most people, it's usually a handful of nuts and a cheese stick) and a large dinner.

I don't think I really lose weight any faster this way but it doesn't slow down my weight loss either. This eating schedule is just a personal choice because food really seems to bog me down, both physically and mentally. It's not as bad now that I've cut out most of the carbs but I do still get some of that sluggishness after a meal. Eating this way keeps my energy levels up throughout the day and I feel more mentally sharp. It's also wonderful not having that afternoon crash that always comes after lunch!

I used to always have BP coffee as my morning "meal" but I think it's tied to my mild bellyache that usually comes a couple hours later so now I've just started drinking my coffee black.

Last edited by evas; 10-01-2013 at 06:57 PM..
evas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:04 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: evas
Stats: 255/215/155
WOE: Mostly Primal + IF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olive View Post
There's nothing embarrassing or "hate to admit" about only eating once a day...the health/weight loss benefits are proven at this point I believe?
There are still a lot of people that think skipping meals is unhealthy, or it will slow their metabolism, or they'll go into "starvation mode." I personally don't believe it because I'm the science nerd that actually went and studied the scientific papers that those theories are based on, lol, and to me the conclusions that were jumped to are utter bull. But I digress... I think the general population still thinks it's a sin to skip a meal. The LCF population is a little more in the know, though

Last edited by evas; 10-01-2013 at 07:06 PM..
evas is offline   Reply With Quote