Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2013, 08:55 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Girlieschmoo
Stats: 142/124/121
WOE: Maria Emmerich and "No S"
Ok, what is the deal with Poly-D???

I have read so many old threads on here and done research on the internet but I do not understand PolyD. There was one very informative thread from 2007 but I wonder if the research has revealed new information?

Is it fiber? If so, from what? Is it a sweetener (dextrose makes me think so)? Is it low carb? Is it a chemical?

Why the heck can't I wrap my head around it?
Girlieschmoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2013, 09:26 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jmc305
Stats: 323/220/205
WOE: Atkins mostly
Start Date: September 2011
I don't know. I see it mentioned in some old threads, but I have never used it and honestly, it seems to have "gone out of style" for lack of a better term. No matter what it is, I'm sure the human body is better off without it. I haven't seen a new thread bring it up in a long time. And I've been lurking for years before I made my account. Sorry I don't have any answers for ya.
jmc305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:22 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: solarpluvia
Stats: 220/169/140 5'5" 37yo
WOE: HFLC
Start Date: 3 July 2011
It is an indigestable powder made from dextrose, sorbitol, and citric acid. It is generally considered a soluble fiber and is slightly sweet tasting.

I've used it in baked goods to enhance texture and add bulk. It isn't very popular anymore because lots of people here seem to have digestive problems when they use it, or it doesn't make enough of a difference to bother with.
solarpluvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:55 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Hmmm..ok, so it's just nothing, really? Maybe that's why no one posts about it anymore, jmc....I wondered if maybe new research had produced info that it wasn't good for a LC lifestyle. But maybe because it causes gastro issues, solarpluvia, and doesn't seem to be a benefit necessarily (seems like it is just neutral),then why bother?

Well, now what do I do with the 10 unopened bags of it that is in my freezer I bought several months ago when I thought I was going to use it

Thanks for the info...
Old 09-20-2013, 10:44 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jmc305
Stats: 323/220/205
WOE: Atkins mostly
Start Date: September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlieschmoo View Post
Hmmm..ok, so it's just nothing, really? Maybe that's why no one posts about it anymore, jmc....I wondered if maybe new research had produced info that it wasn't good for a LC lifestyle. But maybe because it causes gastro issues, solarpluvia, and doesn't seem to be a benefit necessarily (seems like it is just neutral),then why bother?

Well, now what do I do with the 10 unopened bags of it that is in my freezer I bought several months ago when I thought I was going to use it

Thanks for the info...
Uh oh....That's a lot of Poly D. LOL. A few years ago, there was KevinPa and some other guy who I can't remember. They were borderline food chemists (if not full fledged) and they had some really elaborate recipes with some exotic ingredients, including PolyD. I never tried them, but they had a good rep for tasting good.
jmc305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:53 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: solarpluvia
Stats: 220/169/140 5'5" 37yo
WOE: HFLC
Start Date: 3 July 2011
If it is unopened, I wouldn't bother storing it in the freezer. It sucks up moisture like there's no tomorrow, so room temp and airtight even when open it the best bet. There's nothing to go stale or rancid. It is just bare fiber.

My mother likes adding some to protein shakes to give a smoother mouthfeel.
solarpluvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:00 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc305 View Post
Uh oh....That's a lot of Poly D. LOL. A few years ago, there was KevinPa and some other guy who I can't remember. They were borderline food chemists (if not full fledged) and they had some really elaborate recipes with some exotic ingredients, including PolyD. I never tried them, but they had a good rep for tasting good.
I think is was kevinpa's recipes that first got me interested in poly d! But then I didn't know what to do with it when I couldn't actually figure out what it was

Thanks for that info on storage, solarpluvia! It is taking up valuable freezer space so I am really glad I can pull it out.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:21 PM   #8
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
I still use PolyD in many of my baked goods. It give a moist and gooey texture to LC baked items that would otherwise be missing. I have never had a problem with it causing stomach issue.

One of the best recipes I have for LC brownies is the one that uses PolyD.

I always say don't knock a product until you have tried it!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:21 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
I still use PolyD in many of my baked goods. It give a moist and gooey texture to LC baked items that would otherwise be missing. I have never had a problem with it causing stomach issue.

One of the best recipes I have for LC brownies is the one that uses PolyD.

I always say don't knock a product until you have tried it!
Beeb, I did make a LC brownie recipe with polyd this week (the post for the recipe was what renewed my interest in PolyD actually) and I must say, they were excellent! Very fudgy and moist with great dark chocolate flavor. But if it messes with the low carb aspect, I would rather just pass. However, if it is indeed low carb and fiber, I would like to use it for the additional fiber and because, like I said, the brownies were delicious.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:35 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
I'm so curious as to why you bought ten bags of it!
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:38 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
I'm so curious as to why you bought ten bags of it!
Well, I recounted the bags and there are actually only 6. But still, 6 is a lot So, the dealio was when I order from Netrition, I always save up til I have $200 so I get the 5% discount. I had no idea how little PolyD each recipe requires so I already had several in my cart. Adding the extras brought me up to $200. And this is why I have very limited space in my freezer (although I have pulled them out, thanks to solarpluvia

Last edited by Girlieschmoo; 09-22-2013 at 08:41 AM..
Old 09-22-2013, 05:40 PM   #12
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlieschmoo View Post
Beeb, I did make a LC brownie recipe with polyd this week (the post for the recipe was what renewed my interest in PolyD actually) and I must say, they were excellent! Very fudgy and moist with great dark chocolate flavor. But if it messes with the low carb aspect, I would rather just pass. However, if it is indeed low carb and fiber, I would like to use it for the additional fiber and because, like I said, the brownies were delicious.
Never caused me any problems when I was LCing but everyone is different. It was the go to item back in the day for LC goodies, and like I said I still use it. I know the brownies you are talking about and I STILL use that recipe.....so !!

Here is the Nutritional Facts:

PolyD Fiber
1 lb. (454g)
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 2 Tbsp (26 grams)
Servings Per Container: 17
Amount
Per Serving % Daily
Value*
Total Calories 25
Calories From Fat 0
Total Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 0 mg
Total Carbohydrates 26 g
Dietary Fiber 23 g
Sugars 1 g

Net Carbs: 3 g

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”

Last edited by Beeb; 09-22-2013 at 05:42 PM..
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:17 PM   #13
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Yes, everyone is different with the PolyD..My tummy can't take it, but it does make a nice gooey product..

If it doesn't bother you, then great!! Go for it..
CarolynF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:36 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
Could you post the link to this wonderful brownie recipe? Pretty please?
Emily-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:48 PM   #15
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Go to our own Recipes Help forum and search for polydextrose, or poly-d, and you'll find a lot of recipes.

I love what it does for the texture of baked goods but I cannot tolerate it at ALL - even the tiniest amounts render me unfit for human companionship. And in fact, the cats vacate the room following the aftermath of a poly-d ingestion for me!

I still have a couple bags of it. I'll probably just ditch it one of these days.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote