LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2013, 08:27 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
Panera CEO tries eating for $4.50 per day

Ron Shaich, the CEO of Panera Bread, is trying to raise awareness about hunger by eating for one week with a budget of $31.50 for the week. He is blogging about the experience.

Here are a few excerpts that relate to high carb vs. low carb eating.

Day 1:
I ultimately tried to go heavy on the grains, under the belief that I can eat cereal in the morning, lentils and chickpeas for lunch, and then cap each day with a pasta dinner.

One of the comments:
...Load up on carbs, forget the expensive protein. You'll get fat like most of the poor are, but for a true experience, you need to do this for six months and tell us your weight and blood sugar levels at the start and end of the test period....

Day 3:
I made the mistake of creating a meal plan for the week that was heavy on carbohydrates and, as a result, I am feeling bloated and weak.

Day 4:
Each night, when I go to bed, I’m engulfed by a sick feeling that comes from eating too many carbs. The cereal and pasta that have made up the bulk of my diet (mixed with the water that I’m consuming to try to mask the hunger) leave me feeling bloated…yet not really full.

I think tomorrow is his last day. I'll be interested if he posts about his weight or waist measurement.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2013, 08:30 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: miboje
Stats: 147/134.1/133
WOE: Whole foods with an eye on carbs
Start Date: Feb. 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily-D View Post
Ron Shaich, the CEO of Panera Bread, is trying to raise awareness about hunger by eating for one week with a budget of $31.50 for the week. He is blogging about the experience.

Here are a few excerpts that relate to high carb vs. low carb eating.

Day 1:
I ultimately tried to go heavy on the grains, under the belief that I can eat cereal in the morning, lentils and chickpeas for lunch, and then cap each day with a pasta dinner.

One of the comments:
...Load up on carbs, forget the expensive protein. You'll get fat like most of the poor are, but for a true experience, you need to do this for six months and tell us your weight and blood sugar levels at the start and end of the test period....

Day 3:
I made the mistake of creating a meal plan for the week that was heavy on carbohydrates and, as a result, I am feeling bloated and weak.

Day 4:
Each night, when I go to bed, I’m engulfed by a sick feeling that comes from eating too many carbs. The cereal and pasta that have made up the bulk of my diet (mixed with the water that I’m consuming to try to mask the hunger) leave me feeling bloated…yet not really full.

I think tomorrow is his last day. I'll be interested if he posts about his weight or waist measurement.
Wow...thanks for posting this!
miboje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:57 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/bouncing again/? 5'2"
WOE: who knows ?
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011~ Moderation 3/15/14
wonder if it will make the news ?? I'm glad you posted this !
shelby'snana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:05 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Thanks for this.
I want to recommit to donating to local food banks more often.

The one in my town only accepts a few higher protein items, but I can give peanut butter, higher protein soups, tuna, and beans, as well as lower carb canned veggies. They do distribute frozen meats which they purchase, but I figure I can put some more protein into the larder with the cans/jars, too.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:34 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

I've been thinking about what I would buy with that limited budget.

I just looked up prices at the local supermarket. Here's what I came up with:
1 lb butter $3.85
2 dozen large eggs $5.18
chicken tenderloins (on sale) 4lbs $11.98
ground beef 2lbs at 3.99/lb $7.98

My total comes to $28.99. It would be a monotonous, but very low carb week. And I still have $2.51 left to spend!
Emily-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:35 AM   #6
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
We've been pretty broke just starting out and it's true that a dozen eggs will carry you farther (and for less money) than a loaf of bread. Low-carb seems so right for anyone on a budget because fats and proteins are self-limiting.
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:28 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
Thanks for posting this. Sounds like the guy has a wheat allergy to me. You gotta give it Panera though, they do try & use good ingredients, & I understand what doesn't sell gets donated... At least they try. Does he say why he's doing this?
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:35 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/154/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
I think that its insanely cheaper to eat high carb. My big weakness is cakey things, muffins, cookies, danish, etc. I could buy a 12 pack of costco muffins (each one meal sized) for ten bucks and then have plenty of money left to buy two loaves of pretty good wheat bread (forget the brand, but it's not like wonder bread wheat) for $5 and some peanut butter and jelly and milk. And I wouldn't feel like I was eating only non-seasoned chicken and eggs with no cheese (I either need toast to dunk or cheese and bacon or something, plain eggs, ugh). Of course, I wouldn't want to move all week... But if I was really poor, I doubt I could get myself (let alone my family) to live on what you could buy low carb.

As it is, to make low carb work for me, and I don't have a lot of extra money to spend, at all, I buy all sorts of extras to get me through, like Mio and Truvia. Once in a while I treat myself to a $10 meal at wings n things, because if I don't have something really satisfying, I know I'll face dive into carbs.

One thing that does save money though... INTERMITTENT FASTING!!! But I don't think we should tell poor people they can't eat. And I think it only works well if your eating LCHF.

ETA: Its kinda interesting, too, that the Panera guy is down on carbs. Have you all seen the "secret menu" w the diet plates? They're mostly very low carb. I think one has hummus or something, but the rest of them, iirc, are protein and veg.

ckd support group thread

gynema thread

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb, intermittent fasting
I have walked 162 miles since April 1.

Last edited by rubidoux; 09-19-2013 at 12:37 PM..
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:03 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

I know, plain eggs and chicken is kind of boring, but maybe I could buy some cheese, too.

It's interesting to see how you can eat for a week on that amount of money.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:11 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
I could eat insanely cheap on eggs, sardines, butter, and whatever meat was on special. Then round out with cheapest vegetables. Or, soup/stew and eat that for days. I don't use a lot of dairy and sauces now so I wouldn''t mind eating plain protein. You just need to season and cook it right.

Sometimes when I have no groceries and no time I just eat eggs all day long with whatever I have left- amazingly cheap and I could eat for a week for way less than 30.

Low carb junk is expensive and if you want to eat all grass fed/wild, but just regular low carb staples, without all of the overpriced products like bars, sweeteners, special pastas, are cheap.

Last edited by nolcjunk; 09-19-2013 at 01:21 PM..
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:48 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rainypep
Stats: 228(242-highest)/154/172.8 post 2 babies/125
WOE: my plan
Start Date: 3/9/06
not to mention you can get bone in chicken for about 1.00 /lb and the bones make filling and satisfying broth instead of just water. And if you really were in survival mode a handful of rice in the broth probably wouldn't kill you, diabetics non-withstanding and assuming you were a person not trying to stay on a low carb diet per-se. I find the more limited the budget the more creative you get! Around our house we use every piece of the chicken.
Eggs are cheep cheep and super good for you. We get about 24 for less than $3 most shopping trips.
Rainypep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:31 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MistyLoo
Stats: 148.6/121/125
WOE: hhcg 7/12/10
Start Date: Aug. 2002
I could seriously live on beans and rice. Sometimes if DH is working away from home, I put on a big pot of pinto beans then cook a pot of rice. I eat that twice a day until it is gone~ usually a week or so. Sometimes I get wild and add a bit of cheese and chopped onion to my bowl.

I don't do this to save money especially, it is just what I like to eat. I don't like any vegetable and I don't care whether I have meat or not. I even make chicken and rice soup without the chicken (guess that would just be rice soup; LOL)

Not the healthiest WOE. But I'm a cheap date.
MistyLoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:25 PM   #13

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
Pork ribs tend to be very cheap in my area and are almost all fat, so you do not eat a lot to be full. If I wanted to cut back, I would probably eat them more. I could easily spend less and stay low carb.
suzanneyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:38 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily-D View Post
I've been thinking about what I would buy with that limited budget.

I just looked up prices at the local supermarket. Here's what I came up with:
1 lb butter $3.85
2 dozen large eggs $5.18
chicken tenderloins (on sale) 4lbs $11.98
ground beef 2lbs at 3.99/lb $7.98

My total comes to $28.99. It would be a monotonous, but very low carb week. And I still have $2.51 left to spend!
chicken hindquarters are much cheaper and far more tasty. i buy 10lb bags of huge hindquarters at walmart for $7.60.
dazygyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:55 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
3 lbs gr beef $10.47
10lbs chicken hindquarters $7.60
4 dozen fresh from the farm eggs $6
2 bricks cream cheese (to eat with eggs and or gr beef) $2
a bag of frozen green beans $.99
bag of frozen carrots $.99
1 or 2 zucchini $2
(veggies for making big pot of chicken veggie soup)

$30.05
dazygyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:21 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Dazygyrl,

You're a good shopper! I don't know exactly what chicken hindquarters are, and I've never seen them for sale.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:24 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
legs and thighs, i.e. leg quarters.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:24 AM   #18
KOO

Gallery: KOO
Stats: Starting 183(2/06)now below....
WOE: Hcg 9/12/12...142.5/134/130
I thought the article was going to be about him eating his Panera Bread foods for 4.50 a day. I knew that wouldn't go far.
KOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:35 AM   #19

The thing I found interesting about my meal planning exercise is that I started out thinking I'd get a pork butt to crockpot because they are inexpensive when on sale. But I'd have to buy a big butt to get the good price on it, and I think I'd get tired of eating shredded pork. So i decided to get chicken leg quarters instead, for meals and to use as a base for soup.

5 lb chicken leg quarters, 5.00 on sale
1.5 lb chuck roast = 4.95 (reduced bin or on sale)
2 doz eggs from farmer, 8 servings = $4.00
reduced bin veggies
(1 cabbage 1.59, ,2 zucchini $.79, 1 lb green beans 1.29, and $1.50 for whatever else looked the best in the reduced bin)
smallest olive oil = 3.00
onion = 1.00
cucumber = .79
small can storebrand decaf = 3.89
half and half = 1.89
29.69 + tax = $31.03

7 breakfasts-- 3 eggs w/a little olive oil, decaf
suppers:
thigh w/cabbage and onion
thigh w/green beans
2 legs w/cucumber and olive oil
thigh, squash and onion
thigh, cucumber w/olive oil
pot roast (onion, green beans and cabbage)
3 eggs with sliced beef and broth

Lunches:
chicken soup (3 legs, 1 thigh, onion, cabbage, green beans, zucchini, and my find from the reduced veg bin)
beef soup (roast, onion, cabbage, green beans, and my find from the reduced veg bin)
or decaf
all could have a little half and half stirred in for satiation.

Last edited by emel; 09-20-2013 at 05:42 AM..
Old 09-20-2013, 06:38 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mamasooze
Stats: 225/170's/150
WOE: Low carb, wheat-free, mostly paleo
Start Date: AUG 2011
Actually did this a few years ago...
Low Carb on the cheap

Just glancing back at it, it was feeding the 2 of us for $50 for two weeks. It actually looks better than it was if I recall I do remember not being able to eat chicken in any form for about three months after that. It was during the summer so at least we had lots of cheap veggies. My husband is more South Beach, I'm 30 carbs or less so I do see the waffles and beans in there. I did put a few tablespoons in my taco salad. But in the end, somewhere along the line, we just weren't eating enough. My protein/calorie ratio should have been higher. I had miscalculated when I did the menus. At any rate, we were hungry, we snapped at each other, had headaches on many days and coffee and cheese still took up too much of that meager budget. I was suprised we stuck it out the whole time. We won't be doing that again, but I do know that we won't perish on a reduced "emergency" budget. We do a Lenten challenge every year and fare much better on $75 a week for both of us.

Having said all that, at least this guy isn't eating cat food, ramen noodles or buying a $1 HB egg in the company cafeteria
mamasooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:46 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasooze View Post
or buying a $1 HB egg in the company cafeteria
Can there be a bigger waste of money???
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:03 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolcjunk View Post
Can there be a bigger waste of money???
$4.50 for a "small" diet soda at the movies.

synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:49 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sirtain
Stats: 202then/154now/final goal TBD
WOE: Paleo+JUDDD Maintenance
Start Date: March 2013
I salute him for doing this. I am disappointed in Congress cutting from the SNAP program, and this is an excellent way to get some people thinking about how important those benefits are. It's not like people living on food stamps are living high on the hog.

I think I will challenge myself to do this, too. Low-carb, of course, and since I JUDDD, that will help. Still, a week of minimal portions would be a good exercise for me, to raise compassion for people HAVING to live like this. I am so grateful I can (mostly) eat whatever I like and not worry where the grocery money is coming from.

I'm looking at your posts and trying to figure out what I'll be getting. Seems like sticking with just a few things will be key. Bye-bye variety. I'm already glad it will just be a week.

Anyone else tempted to try this? It would be neat to hear how it goes.
Sirtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:09 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mamasooze
Stats: 225/170's/150
WOE: Low carb, wheat-free, mostly paleo
Start Date: AUG 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtain View Post
I salute him for doing this. I am disappointed in Congress cutting from the SNAP program, and this is an excellent way to get some people thinking about how important those benefits are. It's not like people living on food stamps are living high on the hog.

I think I will challenge myself to do this, too. Low-carb, of course, and since I JUDDD, that will help. Still, a week of minimal portions would be a good exercise for me, to raise compassion for people HAVING to live like this. I am so grateful I can (mostly) eat whatever I like and not worry where the grocery money is coming from.

I'm looking at your posts and trying to figure out what I'll be getting. Seems like sticking with just a few things will be key. Bye-bye variety. I'm already glad it will just be a week.

Anyone else tempted to try this? It would be neat to hear how it goes.
The changes in the SNAP was to cut down on fraud and waste and also to bring back in line for the Clinton work requirements of 1996 welfare reforms that had been stripped out in the last few years. The law gives back the states some rights for oversight. The bill had nothing to do with taking food away from children. Find info here on exploding budget item for SNAP. No, the budget has only gone up, up, up. There needs to be some reigning in on it. The SNAP card has been used at casinos, tat parlors, liquor stores, etc. http://www.cbo.gov/publication/44080

Last edited by mamasooze; 09-20-2013 at 07:16 PM.. Reason: Added link.
mamasooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:51 PM   #25
Blabbermouth!!!

I get behind people all the time with nothing but junk and sodas in their carts and its all paid for with food stamps. And the convenience foods are expensive !!

Then,.......they get out their cash and pay for their cigarettes ! One of my pet peeves ;/
Old 09-20-2013, 08:13 PM   #26
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I think if I was faced with feeding myself on $4.50 a day the first thing I would do is IF. I can do pretty well on one meal per day and don't eat much more than I do if I have had breakfast and lunch.

One of my budget-friendly faves is a meaty pot of chili beans. A lb of ground beef ($2), a can of tomatoes ($1), a can of beans ($1- even less on sale or if you cook from dry), a couple stalks of celery and some onion and spices ($1) and you have more a person could eat in a day.

Or you could go to fast food and have 4 $1 burgers (not healthy, but $4).
Old 09-21-2013, 04:04 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby'snana View Post
I get behind people all the time with nothing but junk and sodas in their carts and its all paid for with food stamps. And the convenience foods are expensive !!

Then,.......they get out their cash and pay for their cigarettes ! One of my pet peeves ;/
I get behind a mother with her kids, and she has to put food back because she can't afford it.

It breaks my heart.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:43 AM   #28
Blabbermouth!!!

that would break my heart too... I hate to see anyone suffer !

I have complete sympathy for those that really need help, I just disapprove of all the people who abuse the system ;/
Old 09-21-2013, 10:59 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby'snana View Post
that would break my heart too... I hate to see anyone suffer !

I have complete sympathy for those that really need help, I just disapprove of all the people who abuse the system ;/
Old 09-21-2013, 04:30 PM   #30

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
Life is a real struggle for many people. I would not judge a person for there food choices or financial status. If they enjoy frozen pizza, let them enjoy. It may be the only positive thing in their day.
suzanneyea is offline   Reply With Quote