Old 09-21-2013, 06:43 PM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by emel View Post
I get behind a mother with her kids, and she has to put food back because she can't afford it.

It breaks my heart.
One time I was in line behind maybe a 11-12 year old kid clearly sent out to buy groceries for the family. He was crestfallen and seemed embarrased when he realized he didn't have enough to pay for everything and started trying to figure out what to put back. I paid the overage - would have been too sad otherwise.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2013, 08:39 AM   #32
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
You are an angel, Mistizoom. I am proud to know you.
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:14 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aleina
Stats: 224/ 172.9 31 Jan /150
WOE: Epi Paleo
Start Date: 15 Nov 2012 various WOES
Misti, what a nice thing to do !
Aleina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:09 PM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sirtain
Stats: 202then/154March/Xnow/140soon
WOE: Paleo+JUDDD
Start Date: March 2013
Sadly, cutting out 'fraud and waste' also affects people just trying to get enough to eat. The budget has gone up, up, up because more people are needing help. If the 'family' is bigger, so is the food bill. That's the last thing I want to cut from people's lives in hard times.
Sirtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:00 PM   #35
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
I have paid for people's groceries a few times when their card get rejected. I hope someone would help me out if I were the one needing help.
suzanneyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:05 PM   #36
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
You are a blessing to them ! So sweet to do that !
shelby'snana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:03 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aleina
Stats: 224/ 172.9 31 Jan /150
WOE: Epi Paleo
Start Date: 15 Nov 2012 various WOES
Suzanneyea, very insightful of you. We are all at different stages of happiness. Live and let live.
Aleina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:30 AM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Darkginger
Stats: 197/147/147
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 2004 (properly)
I went to the Tescos site (am in the UK) and tried to stick to a £25 budget - went just over, but that was mostly the curry powder, which I have in my storecupboard already. Have assumed that most people would have cooking oil, salt and pepper in their kitchens.

I was surprised by the variety of meals I could come up with, and influenced by the way I like to eat - this probably wouldn't suit everyone. In the real world, I would supplement this menu with home grown salad veg (lettuce, mostly).

150ml Sour cream 60p
400g tin Italian chopped tomatoes 45p
250g British Mature Cheddar 1.50
50g Curry powder 85p
250g Grated Mozarella 1.50
1 cauliflower 89p
1 pack fresh greens 75p
350g closed cap mushrooms 75p
1kg onions 63p
1 aubergine 60p
1 head of garlic 40p
15 eggs 1.35
1 pack pork belly slices 3.12
4 thin cut rump steaks 4.00
750g minced beef 2.75
500g minced lamb/mutton 2.50
1 pack lamb's liver 1.33
500g middle bacon 2.00

Total: £25.97

Dinners

Aubergine parmigiana (aubergine, onion, garlic, tinned tomatoes, grated mozarella, 3 eggs, cream)

Liver and bacon (liver, 2 slices bacon, onion) with fried mushrooms

Pork belly strips with cauliflower cheese (pork, half the cauliflower, 100g Cheddar)

2 pan fried steaks with mushrooms and (half a pack of)greens

Keema curry (250g minced lamb/mutton, onions, garlic) with cauliflower (the other half of the cauliflower)

Home made cheeseburgers (250g minced beef, 150g Cheddar, onion)

2 pan fried steaks with 2 eggs and (half a pack of) greens

Breakfasts

10 eggs - 5 x 2 egg omelettes
6 slices bacon - 2 x 3 slices

Lunches (I don't usually eat lunch, but this is what was left over - plus there would be leftovers from the aubergine parmigiana, too)

250g lamb/mutton - flavoured with garlic and curry powder and made into kebabs

500g minced beef - mix with chopped onion and garlic and make meatballs or burgers
WC Fields
Darkginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:44 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: erinmarie
Stats: 137/118/ 110
WOE: Modified Atkins/ vlc/frankenfood free
Start Date: last start 8/11, restart 7/28/13
I have been very fortunate and blessed in the past few years, and my husband and I now live a life that many people would kill for.
However, we were not always so prosperous. There was a time when my husband worked 60 hrs a week and I held down two jobs, working as much as 16 hrs a day and always 7 days a week. We had one car a 1992 astro van with 240000 miles on it, which we had to juggle, three teenagers who's drug addicted mother did nothing to help with and a toddler. We qualified for snap and we had to use it. I was so embarrassed at the market. We receive 627 $ a month. I shopped only specials and at grocery outlets and still had to ration healthy choices to make ends meet. Yep we bought frozen pizzas for a buck each, lots of ramen, cookies and snack cakes. Generic soda was 1 buck a 3 liter. Milk was 5 bucks a gallon so guess what? I bought soda too. I knew produce was a better choice but they could eat 10 bucks of fruit in a sitting. It was embarrassing and disheartening but its sad to think we were being judged as well. It took a lot of effort to make the snap stretch month to month. We didn't stay on them long, and now we are six figure earners who pay our taxes to two different countries and begrudge no one a helping hand. We should help each other more and judge each other less. And if a working mom is running on fumes trying to get her family food in between her day and night job, having had 3 hours sleep the night before and uses food stamps to buy a redbull and snickers, so what? Maybe she had just put every penny of the 2.50 in change she has to her name in gas and needs the caffeine to make it through the day. I don't know. Just my experience but its hard out there.
erinmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:26 AM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimivac
Stats: 160.4/131.4/132 -- body fat % 42.2/31.8/24
WOE: Back to low carb
Start Date: July 1, 2012
Bravo, Erinmarie. Great post.
mimivac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:14 AM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkginger View Post
I went to the Tescos site (am in the UK) and tried to stick to a £25 budget - went just over, but that was mostly the curry powder, which I have in my storecupboard already. Have assumed that most people would have cooking oil, salt and pepper in their kitchens.
I love how varied and yummy your budget plan looks! It is the spices and oils that cost, though. If you're only on a tight budget for a few weeks, you might be able to consider "what's in the cupboard" but that stuff will have to be replaced if you're doing it for any length of time, hopefully not all in the same week. We don't have a terribly low income, but we have two kids in private schools and we aren't rolling in dough, so we have to cut back everywhere else -- almost all of our furniture comes from the salvation army, we share one car, I am very mindful of how we use gas, etc. So, I really notice that when I go grocery shopping it's hard for me to shell out a few bucks for a bottle of curry powder or a spice mix to rub on baked chicken legs or a new bottle of extract. That stuff can make a real difference in one's enjoyment of the food, but it is painful to throw down five bucks or more for something that doesn't fill you up or check off a meal, iykwim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanneyea View Post
Life is a real struggle for many people. I would not judge a person for there food choices or financial status. If they enjoy frozen pizza, let them enjoy. It may be the only positive thing in their day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by erinmarie View Post
I have been very fortunate and blessed in the past few years, and my husband and I now live a life that many people would kill for.
However, we were not always so prosperous. There was a time when my husband worked 60 hrs a week and I held down two jobs, working as much as 16 hrs a day and always 7 days a week. We had one car a 1992 astro van with 240000 miles on it, which we had to juggle, three teenagers who's drug addicted mother did nothing to help with and a toddler. We qualified for snap and we had to use it. I was so embarrassed at the market. We receive 627 $ a month. I shopped only specials and at grocery outlets and still had to ration healthy choices to make ends meet. Yep we bought frozen pizzas for a buck each, lots of ramen, cookies and snack cakes. Generic soda was 1 buck a 3 liter. Milk was 5 bucks a gallon so guess what? I bought soda too. I knew produce was a better choice but they could eat 10 bucks of fruit in a sitting. It was embarrassing and disheartening but its sad to think we were being judged as well. It took a lot of effort to make the snap stretch month to month. We didn't stay on them long, and now we are six figure earners who pay our taxes to two different countries and begrudge no one a helping hand. We should help each other more and judge each other less. And if a working mom is running on fumes trying to get her family food in between her day and night job, having had 3 hours sleep the night before and uses food stamps to buy a redbull and snickers, so what? Maybe she had just put every penny of the 2.50 in change she has to her name in gas and needs the caffeine to make it through the day. I don't know. Just my experience but its hard out there.
Thanks, you guys (and mistizoom, too)! You make the world a better place!

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:28 PM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gabby1
Stats: 220/192/170 5'9" 47yo
WOE: Gentle Low Carb
Start Date: 6/22/2012
This thread has made me a better person! I have often clucked (in my head) when seeing a person with a cart full of crappy (non-nutritious) food being paid for with snap money. Thanks for sharing how it feels to be on the other side. I mean really- who am I to judge? You all remind me that every one of us is just trying to make it to the next day with the resources and education we are fortunate (or unfortunate) enough to have.

Glad that Panera CEO is bringing light on the issue of hunger in our own country- and sparked this conversation!

Gabby
Gabby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:44 PM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Olive
WOE: <20 net carbs/day
Start Date: May 12 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanneyea View Post
Life is a real struggle for many people. I would not judge a person for there food choices or financial status. If they enjoy frozen pizza, let them enjoy. It may be the only positive thing in their day.
I love your posts. If I haven't said so already.
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:08 PM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
£25 = $40 US
That little bit extra would make a big difference.

Thanks, everyone, for the interesting discussion!
Emily-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:43 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Hey 2008 hit all Americans over the head an my education didn't help me much. I'm just grateful to have made it back to be be happy healthy and prosperous in my beautiful home in paradise. A shame perhaps we had to leave the States to get here but I have no regrets.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:50 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Incidentally I just made an incredibly delicious and nutritiouseal for three for less than a buck a serving! Chicken stewed in salsa onion chilies and garlic with powdered cumin and some cilantro, shredded and soaked in the sauce. Served it over salad greens with home made guac, a bit of sour cream and cheese. I squeezed a bit of lime over it and it was awesome. Enough leftovers for two lunches tomorrow as well...
Old 09-23-2013, 06:04 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luckymuma
Stats: 96kg ( 211) start weight GOAL weight 74kg(163)
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 01 Aug 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by emel View Post
I get behind a mother with her kids, and she has to put food back because she can't afford it.

It breaks my heart.
Would it be an option to pay it forward?, obviously not her whole cart, but pass her some money so she doesn't have to put food back?
luckymuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:33 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Yep entirely. The best part of overcoming difficulties is being able to help people who are in a tough spot. Kind of related to my favorite thing... Way overtopping. Little things that don't really affect our lives but can make a huge difference to someone else