LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2013, 02:24 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: seaofsand
Stats: 236/212/135
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: April 2014
Belly fat

I've lost about thirteen pounds over the last three months. It's coming off slowly, but at least the scale is going in the right direction. I have noticed that my belly, though, will just not shrink. My face, neck, and legs look thinner; but my midsection isn't budging, and it is my biggest problem area.

In 2009/2010, I lost 30 pounds and had the same problem. Even with all of that weight gone, getting my waist to slim down was such a problem and very frustrating. I think that gaining back the weight I lost back then has made this fat even tougher to shed this time around.

Does anyone have any tips? Have you found that certain foods help you lose belly fat, or that certain foods make it more stubborn? I hate my gut and look forward to the day when it starts to disappear.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2013, 02:27 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kaillean
Stats: 209.5/200.5/165
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 3, 2013
Our problem areas seems to be the last to go. I too lose weight first in my face. But my problem spot is my hips and thighs. So I lose on my waist, but not there!

Too bad we can't direct where the fat comes off. LOL!
Kaillean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:32 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Just stay consistent and be patient. The fat will come off as it comes off. At thirteen pounds into your weight loss, I would not yet expect to see a noticeable difference in your waistline, really; I'm not saying that to be discouraging but just to let you know it's probably a very common way that people experience their weight loss. You just have to hang in there and know that at least you're making progress. Maybe take pictures of yourself every ten or fifteen pounds and compare them as you go along.
peanutte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Weezy
Unfortunately, it just takes time. For me, it's the last area to go down...I want to lose about another 20 lbs. because it is ALL in my belly--truly a metabolic middle. Even after losing about 100 lbs, I still have a metabolic middle. No more to lose anywhere else, so I'm hoping that it will eventually go away.

On the bright side, over the time I was losing, my middle slowly--oh-so-very-slowly--reduced by almost 12 inches. I still have more to go, but its getting closer.

Bottom line: Belly fat isn't easy to lose, but it will eventually go away.

Are you by any chance still eating grains of any kind? Corn, oats, rye, whatever... If you are, you might want to consider eliminating those to see if it helps.
Weezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:51 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, Kaillean and Weezy. I wish I could tell my body to burn my belly fat off first. Ugh.

Weezy, I haven't had grains of any kind since the middle of June. No grains, sugar, starch, etc.

I have type two diabetes and all the symptoms of metabolic syndrome, so I guess these are just the cards I have been dealt. Maybe if I start exercising more, it will help. I am looking forward to being able to say I've lost twelve inches off my middle. That's a huge loss, Weezy.
seaofsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:05 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Sorry, peanutte, somehow I missed your post. You are probably right about expecting too much too soon. I am just so anxious to see it go, and it will probably be the last thing to go.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:14 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BulldogMom
Stats: 231/ 185.8 / 135
WOE: modified Atkins
Start Date: April 2013
I'm like you in that I look noticeably slimmer everywhere else but my belly. I did measure and I've lost one inch in my belly. I figured at some point I will have no where else to lose but the belly. It can be frustrating though.
BulldogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:43 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Olive
WOE: <20 net carbs/day
Start Date: May 12 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulldogMom View Post
I'm like you in that I look noticeably slimmer everywhere else but my belly. I did measure and I've lost one inch in my belly. I figured at some point I will have no where else to lose but the belly. It can be frustrating though.
Same here. My body has the worst priorities for losing fat ever. It's like boobs-face-arms.

I have that awful "mother's apron" lower belly pouch from my C-section. I lose in the waist but that stupid thing won't budge.

I looked at that "Belly Fat Cure" diet and no offense to anyone who might be on it but sounds like hooey to me...
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:28 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/170/130
Start Date: January 2, 2012
Seaofsand, like everyone said, just be patient and that belly fat will come off. I find the more I stick to the low carb fundamentals like chicken, fish, meat, low carb veggies, salad and healthy fats, the more the belly fat comes off.
GailyGail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:10 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rndiane
Stats: 215/ 175/size8-10
Start Date: Jan 22,2013 3rd time
I read somewhere.....first area to gain fat is the last area to lose fat. It will come off.
rndiane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:27 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I know I'm being impatient and that it hasn't even been that long yet. It's just frustrating for me because my midsection is the source of most of my insecurity over my looks. I'm sick of looking at it. I've managed to go completely binge-free since June because, every time I think about eating bad carbs, I think about my stomach and how much I wish it would shrink. Like Olive mentioned, I have one of those "aprons" and it totally disgusts me every time I look at it. In my case, it's not from having kids. I don't have kids, but I developed this after gaining and losing weight so often during my life. I know that, like others said, eventually there won't be any other place to lose weight but there, and it will start to go. I can't wait.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:55 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kaillean
Stats: 209.5/200.5/165
Start Date: September 3, 2013
I have one of those aprons too - I call it my gut roll. I had one last time, before kids, and I have one this time, after kids.

I did eventually lose mine. When I first started LC last time -- stop if you're easily grossed out -- I used to grab it and measure how far it stuck out. About halfway through my 65 lbs weight loss, it stopped being worthy of measuring and became a bulge instead of an apron. I still have notes about this in my journal from last time.

When I was at goal it was practically gone. By then my waist had gone from 38" to 29.5".

Keep at it. It will eventually come off. And if you're getting skinnier in other parts, maybe alter your fashion for a bit. I always envy bigger girls who can wear those cute short dresses or blousy long tops to hide their tummies with leggings and stuff because they have great legs.

I have cankles. No amount of weight loss changes that.

Mini goal: Onederland by October 1
Kaillean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:15 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: erinmarie
Stats: 137/118/ 110
WOE: Modified Atkins/ vlc/frankenfood free
Start Date: last start 8/11, restart 7/28/13
I lose weight in my boobs and butt first then slowly face thighs legs... The last hold outs are my mom gut and man arms... Wish there were a way to lose in the problem areas and keek the lady lumps but alas!! It is coming off the gut slowly but not without the less than welcome losses in my other spots!
erinmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:35 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaillean View Post
I did eventually lose mine. When I first started LC last time -- stop if you're easily grossed out -- I used to grab it and measure how far it stuck out. About halfway through my 65 lbs weight loss, it stopped being worthy of measuring and became a bulge instead of an apron. I still have notes about this in my journal from last time.

I have cankles. No amount of weight loss changes that.
Thanks, Kaillean, for the laugh. I can relate to you so well. I often grab the dreaded apron and just shake my head. I measure it all the time. It has shrunk just a tiny bit, but there's so much more to go. Thanks for sharing your story about yours.

Maybe this winter I will have the nerve to wear a long sweater with leggings and boots. I have never done that because I'm so self-conscious about my body, but maybe by the time it gets really cold I'll have lost another twenty pounds or so.

Erinmarie, I feel your pain. I have big arms, too. Big arms and a big gut. I so wish that we could target problem areas when losing weight.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:32 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: spareld
Stats: 5'4 cw:142/gw:115
WOE: Keto/low carb
Start Date: August 26, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by erinmarie View Post
I lose weight in my boobs and butt first then slowly face thighs legs... The last hold outs are my mom gut and man arms... Wish there were a way to lose in the problem areas and keek the lady lumps but alas!! It is coming off the gut slowly but not without the less than welcome losses in my other spots!
yes! exactly my boobs are almost gone but not my lower parts
spareld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:49 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: erinmarie
Stats: 137/118/ 110
WOE: Modified Atkins/ vlc/frankenfood free
Start Date: last start 8/11, restart 7/28/13
Haha yeah. I was always naturally busty but when I'm thin they go... It depresses me. Really. But what can you do? I love shrinking out of my clothes but shrinking out of my bras ... Sucks.
erinmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:28 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Just came here to moan about the shrinking chest issue. I finally had to get a new bra today, which is good and bad. I'm glad I'm losing inches, but I wish I'd lose in my midsection and not THERE. I've lost a bit up top and in my legs, but nothing else will budge. I can't wait until I turn that corner.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:42 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kittycatmom
Stats: 184/159/150
WOE: Low carb, high fat, moderate protein / gluten free
Start Date: August 2013
Add me to the list. My tush is looking pretty good, my face has lost that puff-- but my midsection ....ugh. I've had abdominal surgery twice (c section and hysterectomy) and also have the dreaded apron. Hopefully it's the next to shrink. lol
Kittycatmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:31 PM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rndiane View Post
I read somewhere.....first area to gain fat is the last area to lose fat. It will come off.
Well That explains a lot !! My belly is the last thing to go too and the part I want gone the most !
shelby'snana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:40 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BecBelle
Stats: 292.2/261.6/145 5ft4in
WOE: Induction
Start Date: Repeat Offender-Original Start 09/03/10
I hate hate hate my gut. I have PCOS and am insulin resistant so my fat belly is par for the course. It is the last place to see change.
BecBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:48 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
So comforting to learn that we ALL have the same problem...boobs disappearing while stomach remains (and in my case, waist as well). Somehow this makes me feel a lot better.
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:26 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TooSweetForMe
Stats: 178/178/150
WOE: lower carb / type 2 diabetic
Start Date: September 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittycatmom View Post
Add me to the list. My tush is looking pretty good, my face has lost that puff-- but my midsection ....ugh. I've had abdominal surgery twice (c section and hysterectomy) and also have the dreaded apron. Hopefully it's the next to shrink. lol
Kittycatmom, I've had 2 c-sections, gallbladder surgery, and a hysterectomy so I KNOW all about the dreaded apron.
TooSweetForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:32 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tybeeanna
Stats: H286 }232VSG{ C162 G when I get there
WOE: low/carb 8-21-12
Start Date: 8/21/12
another belly hater here insulin resistant , POCS Hysterectomy Everyone keeps telling me I have lost enough I still want/need another 20-25 lbs gone and it truly has to come from my gut Then let the reconstruction begin
tybeeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:37 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dgidaho
Stats: 221/193/160
WOE: Low Carb--began with Atkins
Start Date: March 21, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaGetz View Post
So comforting to learn that we ALL have the same problem...boobs disappearing while stomach remains (and in my case, waist as well). Somehow this makes me feel a lot better.
Perhaps we should invent a "push-up girdle"? We might get rich!
dgidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:14 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tybeeanna
Stats: H286 }232VSG{ C162 G when I get there
WOE: low/carb 8-21-12
Start Date: 8/21/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgidaho View Post
Perhaps we should invent a "push-up girdle"? We might get rich!
Rich with boobs Got my vote
tybeeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:03 PM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ~PaperMoon~
Stats: 100+ Pounds lost!
WOE: Low Carb and general low calorie
The belly was/is the last to go for me, I look thinner everywhere except there. It's gone down a whole lot and I don't think you can tell the belly is there with clothes on, but it is still there and still going down, but it's the last to go for me.
~PaperMoon~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:43 AM   #27
I'm here to help!

Gallery: SugarFreeSheila
Stats: 141 to 110
Start Date: 2001
SeaofSand, you are 14 pounds into your journey, so take heart: you will see shrinkage in your middle. It can be like watching paint dry, I know! Plus if you are an apple shape & tend to carry weight through your torso, it might take just a little longer to really see a visible difference there. P.S: Some examples of apple shapes are Angelina Jolie, Elizabeth Hurley, Reese Witherspoon, Jessica Simpson, Alicia Keys, & Catherine Zeta-Jones. This shape comes in all sizes.
SugarFreeSheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:20 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: makrida
Stats: 142/132/125
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 4th Jan 2011
I have always had a tummy, even as a child, and as a fairly slim person. It just seems to be the way I'm built. even when I got down to 117lb I still had the tummy. I'm currently 138 and still look slimmish, but my stomach is bigger again.
makrida is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:03 PM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ~PaperMoon~
Stats: 100+ Pounds lost!
WOE: Low Carb and general low calorie
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFreeSheila View Post
SeaofSand, you are 14 pounds into your journey, so take heart: you will see shrinkage in your middle. It can be like watching paint dry, I know! Plus if you are an apple shape & tend to carry weight through your torso, it might take just a little longer to really see a visible difference there. P.S: Some examples of apple shapes are Angelina Jolie, Elizabeth Hurley, Reese Witherspoon, Jessica Simpson, Alicia Keys, & Catherine Zeta-Jones. This shape comes in all sizes.
Yeah, I had to lose over 50 pounds before my midsection even thought about shrinking. But it finally had to budge too, sooner or later it has to give up and go. I used to wear a size 5x in tops, now I wear a medium/large, so sooner or later the midsection will go.

Last edited by ~PaperMoon~; 10-03-2013 at 03:06 PM..
~PaperMoon~ is offline   Reply With Quote