Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Belly fat (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/812526-belly-fat.html)

seaofsand 09-18-2013 03:24 PM

Belly fat
 
I've lost about thirteen pounds over the last three months. It's coming off slowly, but at least the scale is going in the right direction. I have noticed that my belly, though, will just not shrink. My face, neck, and legs look thinner; but my midsection isn't budging, and it is my biggest problem area.

In 2009/2010, I lost 30 pounds and had the same problem. Even with all of that weight gone, getting my waist to slim down was such a problem and very frustrating. I think that gaining back the weight I lost back then has made this fat even tougher to shed this time around.

Does anyone have any tips? Have you found that certain foods help you lose belly fat, or that certain foods make it more stubborn? I hate my gut and look forward to the day when it starts to disappear.

Kaillean 09-18-2013 03:27 PM

Our problem areas seems to be the last to go. I too lose weight first in my face. But my problem spot is my hips and thighs. So I lose on my waist, but not there!

Too bad we can't direct where the fat comes off. LOL!

peanutte 09-18-2013 03:32 PM

Just stay consistent and be patient. The fat will come off as it comes off. At thirteen pounds into your weight loss, I would not yet expect to see a noticeable difference in your waistline, really; I'm not saying that to be discouraging but just to let you know it's probably a very common way that people experience their weight loss. You just have to hang in there and know that at least you're making progress. Maybe take pictures of yourself every ten or fifteen pounds and compare them as you go along.

Weezy 09-18-2013 03:39 PM

Unfortunately, it just takes time. For me, it's the last area to go down...I want to lose about another 20 lbs. because it is ALL in my belly--truly a metabolic middle. Even after losing about 100 lbs, I still have a metabolic middle. No more to lose anywhere else, so I'm hoping that it will eventually go away.

On the bright side, over the time I was losing, my middle slowly--oh-so-very-slowly--reduced by almost 12 inches. I still have more to go, but its getting closer.

Bottom line: Belly fat isn't easy to lose, but it will eventually go away.

Are you by any chance still eating grains of any kind? Corn, oats, rye, whatever... If you are, you might want to consider eliminating those to see if it helps.

seaofsand 09-18-2013 03:51 PM

Thanks, Kaillean and Weezy. I wish I could tell my body to burn my belly fat off first. Ugh.

Weezy, I haven't had grains of any kind since the middle of June. No grains, sugar, starch, etc.

I have type two diabetes and all the symptoms of metabolic syndrome, so I guess these are just the cards I have been dealt. Maybe if I start exercising more, it will help. I am looking forward to being able to say I've lost twelve inches off my middle. That's a huge loss, Weezy.

seaofsand 09-18-2013 04:05 PM

Sorry, peanutte, somehow I missed your post. You are probably right about expecting too much too soon. I am just so anxious to see it go, and it will probably be the last thing to go.

BulldogMom 09-18-2013 04:14 PM

I'm like you in that I look noticeably slimmer everywhere else but my belly. I did measure and I've lost one inch in my belly. I figured at some point I will have no where else to lose but the belly. It can be frustrating though.

Olive 09-18-2013 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BulldogMom (Post 16610048)
I'm like you in that I look noticeably slimmer everywhere else but my belly. I did measure and I've lost one inch in my belly. I figured at some point I will have no where else to lose but the belly. It can be frustrating though.

Same here. My body has the worst priorities for losing fat ever. It's like boobs-face-arms. :rofl:

I have that awful "mother's apron" lower belly pouch from my C-section. I lose in the waist but that stupid thing won't budge.

I looked at that "Belly Fat Cure" diet and no offense to anyone who might be on it but sounds like hooey to me...

GailyGail 09-18-2013 05:28 PM

Seaofsand, like everyone said, just be patient and that belly fat will come off. I find the more I stick to the low carb fundamentals like chicken, fish, meat, low carb veggies, salad and healthy fats, the more the belly fat comes off.

rndiane 09-18-2013 07:10 PM

I read somewhere.....first area to gain fat is the last area to lose fat. It will come off.

seaofsand 09-19-2013 04:27 PM

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I know I'm being impatient and that it hasn't even been that long yet. It's just frustrating for me because my midsection is the source of most of my insecurity over my looks. I'm sick of looking at it. I've managed to go completely binge-free since June because, every time I think about eating bad carbs, I think about my stomach and how much I wish it would shrink. Like Olive mentioned, I have one of those "aprons" and it totally disgusts me every time I look at it. In my case, it's not from having kids. I don't have kids, but I developed this after gaining and losing weight so often during my life. :annoyed: I know that, like others said, eventually there won't be any other place to lose weight but there, and it will start to go. I can't wait.

Kaillean 09-20-2013 10:55 AM

I have one of those aprons too - I call it my gut roll. I had one last time, before kids, and I have one this time, after kids.

I did eventually lose mine. When I first started LC last time -- stop if you're easily grossed out -- I used to grab it and measure how far it stuck out. :laugh: About halfway through my 65 lbs weight loss, it stopped being worthy of measuring and became a bulge instead of an apron. I still have notes about this in my journal from last time. :laugh:

When I was at goal it was practically gone. By then my waist had gone from 38" to 29.5".

Keep at it. It will eventually come off. And if you're getting skinnier in other parts, maybe alter your fashion for a bit. I always envy bigger girls who can wear those cute short dresses or blousy long tops to hide their tummies with leggings and stuff because they have great legs.

I have cankles. No amount of weight loss changes that. :laugh:

erinmarie 09-20-2013 04:15 PM

I lose weight in my boobs and butt first :( then slowly face thighs legs... The last hold outs are my mom gut and man arms... Wish there were a way to lose in the problem areas and keek the lady lumps but alas!! It is coming off the gut slowly but not without the less than welcome losses in my other spots!

seaofsand 09-20-2013 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaillean (Post 16612514)
I did eventually lose mine. When I first started LC last time -- stop if you're easily grossed out -- I used to grab it and measure how far it stuck out. :laugh: About halfway through my 65 lbs weight loss, it stopped being worthy of measuring and became a bulge instead of an apron. I still have notes about this in my journal from last time. :laugh:

I have cankles. No amount of weight loss changes that. :laugh:

Thanks, Kaillean, for the laugh. :) I can relate to you so well. I often grab the dreaded apron and just shake my head. I measure it all the time. It has shrunk just a tiny bit, but there's so much more to go. Thanks for sharing your story about yours.

Maybe this winter I will have the nerve to wear a long sweater with leggings and boots. I have never done that because I'm so self-conscious about my body, but maybe by the time it gets really cold I'll have lost another twenty pounds or so.

Erinmarie, I feel your pain. I have big arms, too. Big arms and a big gut. I so wish that we could target problem areas when losing weight. :hugs:

spareld 09-20-2013 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erinmarie (Post 16612897)
I lose weight in my boobs and butt first :( then slowly face thighs legs... The last hold outs are my mom gut and man arms... Wish there were a way to lose in the problem areas and keek the lady lumps but alas!! It is coming off the gut slowly but not without the less than welcome losses in my other spots!

yes! exactly my boobs are almost gone but not my lower parts:dunno:

erinmarie 09-22-2013 10:49 AM

Haha yeah. I was always naturally busty but when I'm thin they go... It depresses me. Really. But what can you do? I love shrinking out of my clothes but shrinking out of my bras ... Sucks. :(

seaofsand 10-02-2013 04:28 PM

Just came here to moan about the shrinking chest issue. I finally had to get a new bra today, which is good and bad. I'm glad I'm losing inches, but I wish I'd lose in my midsection and not THERE. I've lost a bit up top and in my legs, but nothing else will budge. I can't wait until I turn that corner.

Kittycatmom 10-02-2013 04:42 PM

Add me to the list:). My tush is looking pretty good, my face has lost that puff-- but my midsection ....ugh. I've had abdominal surgery twice (c section and hysterectomy) and also have the dreaded apron. Hopefully it's the next to shrink. lol

shelby'snana 10-02-2013 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rndiane (Post 16610291)
I read somewhere.....first area to gain fat is the last area to lose fat. It will come off.

Well :stars: That explains a lot !! My belly is the last thing to go too and the part I want gone the most ! :annoyed:

BecBelle 10-02-2013 05:40 PM

I hate hate hate my gut. I have PCOS and am insulin resistant so my fat belly is par for the course. It is the last place to see change. :console:

LolaGetz 10-02-2013 05:48 PM

So comforting to learn that we ALL have the same problem...boobs disappearing while stomach remains (and in my case, waist as well). Somehow this makes me feel a lot better.

TooSweetForMe 10-02-2013 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kittycatmom (Post 16627762)
Add me to the list:). My tush is looking pretty good, my face has lost that puff-- but my midsection ....ugh. I've had abdominal surgery twice (c section and hysterectomy) and also have the dreaded apron. Hopefully it's the next to shrink. lol

Kittycatmom, I've had 2 c-sections, gallbladder surgery, and a hysterectomy so I KNOW all about the dreaded apron.

tybeeanna 10-02-2013 06:32 PM

another belly hater here :stars: insulin resistant , POCS Hysterectomy Everyone keeps telling me I have lost enough I still want/need another 20-25 lbs gone and it truly has to come from my gut Then let the :eek: reconstruction begin :D

dgidaho 10-02-2013 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LolaGetz (Post 16627841)
So comforting to learn that we ALL have the same problem...boobs disappearing while stomach remains (and in my case, waist as well). Somehow this makes me feel a lot better.

Perhaps we should invent a "push-up girdle"? We might get rich! :hyst:

tybeeanna 10-02-2013 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgidaho (Post 16627953)
Perhaps we should invent a "push-up girdle"? We might get rich! :hyst:

:jumpjoy: Rich with boobs Got my vote :D

~PaperMoon~ 10-02-2013 11:03 PM

The belly was/is the last to go for me, I look thinner everywhere except there. It's gone down a whole lot and I don't think you can tell the belly is there with clothes on, but it is still there and still going down, but it's the last to go for me.

SugarFreeSheila 10-03-2013 07:43 AM

SeaofSand, you are 14 pounds into your journey, so take heart: you will see shrinkage in your middle. It can be like watching paint dry, I know! Plus if you are an apple shape & tend to carry weight through your torso, it might take just a little longer to really see a visible difference there. P.S: Some examples of apple shapes are Angelina Jolie, Elizabeth Hurley, Reese Witherspoon, Jessica Simpson, Alicia Keys, & Catherine Zeta-Jones. This shape comes in all sizes. :)

makrida 10-03-2013 08:20 AM

I have always had a tummy, even as a child, and as a fairly slim person. It just seems to be the way I'm built. even when I got down to 117lb I still had the tummy. I'm currently 138 and still look slimmish, but my stomach is bigger again.

~PaperMoon~ 10-03-2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SugarFreeSheila (Post 16628409)
SeaofSand, you are 14 pounds into your journey, so take heart: you will see shrinkage in your middle. It can be like watching paint dry, I know! Plus if you are an apple shape & tend to carry weight through your torso, it might take just a little longer to really see a visible difference there. P.S: Some examples of apple shapes are Angelina Jolie, Elizabeth Hurley, Reese Witherspoon, Jessica Simpson, Alicia Keys, & Catherine Zeta-Jones. This shape comes in all sizes. :)

Yeah, I had to lose over 50 pounds before my midsection even thought about shrinking. But it finally had to budge too, sooner or later it has to give up and go. :) I used to wear a size 5x in tops, now I wear a medium/large, so sooner or later the midsection will go. :)


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:25 AM.