Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Cholesterol. (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/812520-cholesterol.html)

MichelleM 09-18-2013 02:33 PM

Cholesterol.

Just got my bloodwork done.
I was told my cholesterol is a bit high.

What do these numbers mean please?? Thanx!

Total 239
LDL 148
HDL 53

????

synger 09-19-2013 06:25 AM

Your HDL is good. Anything above a 50 is great for a woman. Above 60 is better, but pretty hard to do.

Your LDL is high. You want it to be under 100. That's probably what's also pushing your total up (total should be below 200).

That being said, if you've been low-carbing a while, much of your LDL may be Pattern A, the "big, fluffy" LDL that doesn't hurt your arteries. If you eat a lot of carbs, your LDL is likely to be more Pattern B, the "small, sticky" LDL that clings to and penetrates cell walls.

They've only recently begun testing to differentiate between the two patterns of LDL.

If my HDL AND my LDL BOTH were bad, I might consider medicating.

But if my HDL were good and my LDL were bad, I'd think it might be an LDL sub-pattern issue, and ask for a VAP test. If, and only if, it came back that my LDL was mostly pattern B, would I consider medication. And if my doc wasn't willing to do a VAP test, then I would not be willing to take the medication.

Cholesterol levels: What numbers should you aim for? - MayoClinic.com
Low-density lipoprotein - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Vertical auto profile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

MichelleM 09-19-2013 06:43 AM

Thanks so much Synger. I was told to 'lower my saturated fats and fried foods'. :)

clackley 09-19-2013 07:02 AM

The 2 numbers in a cholesterol panel that are important are hdl and triglycerides. Your hdl looks fine. What were your triglycerides?

There is a growing body of evidence that lowering ldl with medication is treating a symptom and is not good. I wouldn't worry about it.

Emily-D 09-19-2013 09:43 AM

I agree with clackley.

My HDL was 98 and my triglyceride number was 60, yet I was still told to reduce saturated fat. I have chosen to disregard that advice.

Su11 09-19-2013 09:51 AM

There's a growing body of work in the field of cholesterol and low carbing and what the numbers actually mean. If you look online for recent books on the topic, you can probably find something to help explain the numbers.

astribling 09-19-2013 10:01 AM

Subbing.... After a year and a half on low carb I'm going to get my blood work next week, and I'm really hoping to see improvement! But very interested in this topic.

E.W. 09-19-2013 10:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I just got my chlosterol test back and this time the numbers were not good. I have
not been eating enough saturated fat and my total chlosterol is to darn low. I think
I can take care of that by eating more real butter and coconut oil. Here is a little graph
of one study that subjest a total chlosterol of about 210 is just about perfect. True most
Dr's will find fault with it but ...

clackley 09-19-2013 12:39 PM

Jimmy Moore (in conjunction with Dr. Eric Westman) just published a new book on the subject that I think will be well worth the read. I have heard a number of interviews on the subject and I think for anyone who has concerns, this would be a great investment. The title is 'Cholesterol Clarity'.

Rainypep 09-19-2013 03:00 PM

I just had mine done this week and was pleasantly surprised.

Total 159
LDL 100
HDL 59

they didn't run triglycerides she only did cholesterol cause we were drawing other labs and I'm pushing 35.

E.W. 09-20-2013 05:43 AM

Something is a little strange about your numbers. The total chlosterol
number includes your triglecerides

Total chlosterol = HDL + LDL + 1/5 Triglycerides

Rainypep 09-20-2013 09:33 AM

Hmmm I'll have to ask about it. That is what the report said.
Thanks

Sharon 09-20-2013 07:43 PM

There's a cholestrol board here on LCF that gives all the formulas for baseline #.