Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Mayo question (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/812471-mayo-question.html)

spoiltmomof2 09-18-2013 05:42 AM

Mayo question

What brand do you use?
Even before Atkins I preferred Mayo to Miracle Whip. Lately though I've bought Duke's brand and my HEB store brand and they taste sort of sweet to me.
I like my mayo rich and savory, not sweet.

Any brand recs?

Mistizoom 09-18-2013 06:19 AM

I love Hellman's (Best Foods west of the Rockies) but it has soybean oil and is very bad because of that. I should make my own but I haven't gotten the motivation to do so yet.

spoiltmomof2 09-18-2013 06:49 AM

I should try that also but I'm so busy I barely have time to cook meals much less extra stuff.

clackley 09-18-2013 07:27 AM

I make my own using organic avocado oil. In a pinch, I will use Hellmans' olive oil mayo. Too bad it is not 100% olive oil. I would buy more frequently if it were.

emel 09-18-2013 08:14 AM

If I don't use homemade, I use Dukes. Interesting that you find it too sweet. It has no sugar, which is why I like it. You got the yellow label kind of Duke's, right? The blue label is a reduced fat kind. That kind has corn syrup in it.

Key Tones 09-18-2013 08:36 AM

I haven't made mayo, but this would be the best option. I have gotten used to using butter for everything.

Soybean oil and other industrial oils are very bad for you - be sure to look into this! The paleo diet gurus explain why - the processing, the oxidation, the resulting inflammation interferes with satiety.

Ntombi 09-18-2013 12:39 PM

If I haven't made my own, I use Hellman's/Best Foods.

Making your own is much MUCH easier than I ever thought if you use a stick blender. I'm still working on perfecting it to taste like Hellman's, but I'm getting closer.

rose1 09-18-2013 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emel (Post 16609453)
If I don't use homemade, I use Dukes. Interesting that you find it too sweet. It has no sugar, which is why I like it. You got the yellow label kind of Duke's, right? The blue label is a reduced fat kind. That kind has corn syrup in it.

This.

Mistizoom 09-18-2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntombi (Post 16609848)
If I haven't made my own, I use Hellman's/Best Foods.

Making your own is much MUCH easier than I ever thought if you use a stick blender. I'm still working on perfecting it to taste like Hellman's, but I'm getting closer.

Please be sure to post the recipe when you find the magic formula!

llisarray 09-18-2013 07:51 PM

Only Kraft :) and on this same line...mayo has gotten so expensive in my area. Hurts my feelings. Oh and my wallet !

Skinny Train 09-18-2013 10:03 PM

Duke's doesn't taste sweet to me either, but rather vinegar-y. I buy Blue Plate sometimes, but Duke's has more flavor, imo. I'm finding I don't care for mayo as much as I used to. Hard to imagine as it's been something I've enjoyed for a long time.

synger 09-19-2013 05:12 AM

Hellman's all the way. Miracle Whip is much too sweet for me.

I've tried making my own, but it makes too much at a time. I like mayo, but I don't use a cup a day, and homemade doesn't keep very well.

So I just suck it up and buy it. I figure I avoid almost all other uses of soy oil, so a little in my mayo won't kill me.

Amber_Baby 09-19-2013 05:15 AM

Hellman's usually, supermarket own brand when on a budget. We don't have Miracle Whip here but we do have light mayo, extra light mayo and salad cream - all of which are vile. Low carb or not I have always been one for full fat mayo, butter and full fat milk - I hate low fat mayo, margarine and skimmed milk!

Spanilingo 09-19-2013 05:34 AM

I use store bought in a pinch or when I need a bit of mayo but love homemade! I pasturize the yolk regardless of the type of egg if I will be eating it "raw". If cooking with the mayo I don't worry about it.