Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   What can be done for this condition? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/812468-what-can-done-condition.html)

dmburk 09-18-2013 04:56 AM

What can be done for this condition?

Loose or sagging skin under the chin? There have been recent threads about loose skin on the rest of the body, but my problem area is my neck. I have been on this journey for 2 1/2 years, lost 75 lbs, and am happy with this WOE. I love watching many others on this site achieving their goals, and many post pics showing amazing results. And I wonder what you all do to shrink the extra skin. I know it probably will tighten a little, but each time I go down another couple pounds, I see more sag.

rubidoux 09-18-2013 10:05 AM

I always felt like I had saggy underchin skin even before I got heavy. :( And of course I worry about it even more now. I wish I had a fix. I'll be watching this thread.

KeirasMom 09-18-2013 10:29 AM

I have it too. It's quite noticeable, and I haven't figured out a way to combat it. When I win the lottery, I'll have it surgically fixed. :D

lterry913 09-18-2013 10:32 AM

I lost over sixty pounds and the skin did shrink back...however for some it does not...there are some exercises for the face and chin that might help if you Google them...what could it hurt its free...otherwise I think the only option would be surgery...I do hear that some dermatologists are getting good results with lasers and radio waves...that could be something to check out also...good luck and if it's any consolation, I do not see the loose skin you speak of in your picture. So maybe it is not as bad as you imagine. Good luck and great job losing so far.

skinni 09-18-2013 10:34 AM

1. Loose skin tightens eventually from weight loss. It might take a year, though. There's a theory that this is what's happening during stalls.

2. Exercise - look up "turkey wattle" and "flexeffect" for examples.

3. Surgery - there's some minor "work" out there now with lasers, injections, etc. I don't know much about it, but I know it has gotten cheaper and less invasive.

dmburk 09-18-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lterry913 (Post 16609645)
if it's any consolation, I do not see the loose skin you speak of in your picture. So maybe it is not as bad as you imagine. Good luck and great job losing so far.

I have lost 16 lbs since that picture. I think it's gotten very noticeable! My boss called my face 'svelte', not commenting on the loose skin, of course!

I guess I'll start a special savings account. :dunno:

peanutte 09-18-2013 01:55 PM

Quote:

Loose skin tightens eventually from weight loss. It might take a year, though. There's a theory that this is what's happening during stalls.
No, there is no guarantee that anyone's loose skin is ever going to regain its tautness. For some it will, for others it won't. Exercise might help, sunscreen might help, good nutrition might help...or, it might be that none of that will make much of a difference if your age and genetics are just not going to cooperate. That's the reality.

I know of one person in her late 30s (I think; maybe very early 40s)) who had liposuction on her neck and jawline, and it really did make a difference. But the recovery is weeks-long and there was a lot of bruising and discomfort.

CTH 09-18-2013 07:59 PM

There is little that can be done for loose skin other than surgery. The older we get the less likely we are to snap back.

Skinny Train 09-18-2013 08:28 PM

No facelift facelift...facial exercises on youtube. Just search face exercise and you will find a plethora. Work pretty well. No, they are not plastic surgery, but absolutely do help.

miboje 09-19-2013 08:18 AM

You may or may not be able to get rid of it. I am hoping to get rid of a bit of sag under/behind my chin. It's shameful that I gained enough weight that it started to collect there! I do suggest trying facial exercise and massage. You have nothing to lose by trying, and it will at least help fight the effects of aging if nothing else.

lterry913 09-20-2013 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmburk (Post 16609702)
I have lost 16 lbs since that picture. I think it's gotten very noticeable! My boss called my face 'svelte', not commenting on the loose skin, of course!

I guess I'll start a special savings account. :dunno:

Well congrats on the extra 16 pounds since pic...give it some time and maybe som excercises till you build up tha account...haha.

Kaillean 09-22-2013 01:58 PM

When I got to goal last time, I was disappointed I had spots with loose skin still. But it continued to tighten up over the next several months and I was really very happy with things overall. I remember really worrying about my "wattle" last time and it ended up being just fine. I'm counting on that being true again as I just noticed it's happening already with my recent losses.

I don't care. I'd rather have a wattle than have to waddle.

baileygirl3 09-22-2013 04:08 PM

I am at goal and still not happy with my middle. Not sure if I will ever be though. I started out origianlly at 204 and have had 3 kids and now at 135. Wish I had the answer for you

Aleina 09-22-2013 04:14 PM

Zeltiq? No personal experience just offering an avenue of exploration.