Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2013, 04:49 PM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: silkandsand
Stats: 167/160/130
WOE: PB&J
Stalled while in ketosis?

I'm low-carbing and was losing very well my first week with a 5 lb loss. Its been 2 weeks now and I am just staying where I am, maybe even gaining a few ounces. I'm still in ketosis. Any ideas? Has this happened to you? I always thought that if I was in deep ketosis, especially while drinking lots of water, that meant I am losing weight.
silkandsand is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2013, 05:19 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UghNowWhat
Quote:
Originally Posted by silkandsand View Post
I'm low-carbing and was losing very well my first week with a 5 lb loss. Its been 2 weeks now and I am just staying where I am, maybe even gaining a few ounces. I'm still in ketosis. Any ideas? Has this happened to you? I always thought that if I was in deep ketosis, especially while drinking lots of water, that meant I am losing weight.
It happens to many people. Ketosis just means you're burning fat for energy..which can be the fat you're eating. The first 5lbs come off so easy because it is water weight from carbs.

People stall for different reasons.. I don't lose weight if my calories are too high. Low carb bars and products stall many people.
UghNowWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:33 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: slowknight
Stats: 285/181/180
Start Date: March 25, 2013
That second week stall after losing a ton the first week is very common. By week 3 or 4 it will come off again.
slowknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:56 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ivyjewels
Be patient it will happen.

Weight/fat loss takes time.

Your doing great!
ivyjewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowknight View Post
That second week stall after losing a ton the first week is very common. By week 3 or 4 it will come off again.
Thanks! That's encouraging to know. I'm sticking with it...just looking at my menu and trying to eat cleaner. I have low-carbed extremely successfully in the past. It's just not as easy now!

I think I may cut cheese and dairy out altogether...I really haven't had much but maybe that will help get things moving again.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivyjewels View Post
Be patient it will happen.

Weight/fat loss takes time.

Your doing great!
Thanks for the reminder! I know I wasn't packing the pounds on this anxiously so I really shouldn't be trying to lose them that quickly...besides maybe the weight will stay OFF better if I lose slower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UghNowWhat View Post
It happens to many people. Ketosis just means you're burning fat for energy..which can be the fat you're eating. The first 5lbs come off so easy because it is water weight from carbs.

People stall for different reasons.. I don't lose weight if my calories are too high. Low carb bars and products stall many people.
Thankfully, I haven't been sucked in yet by all the wonderful LC dessert recipes on here...but I do have a bunch of them printed out! I'm also staying far away from any Frankenfoods except I would like to get protein powder...maybe that's not a Frankenfood but when I did Atkins before I didn't even have that.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:30 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UghNowWhat
Quote:
Originally Posted by silkandsand View Post
Thankfully, I haven't been sucked in yet by all the wonderful LC dessert recipes on here...but I do have a bunch of them printed out! I'm also staying far away from any Frankenfoods except I would like to get protein powder...maybe that's not a Frankenfood but when I did Atkins before I didn't even have that.
Some of the recipes here aren't so bad..they can be pretty simple but if you haven't developed a taste for them yet I'd stay away until you get bored. They can be too tempting and addicting. lol

Protein powder is fine depending on the kind. Better and cheaper than prepackaged LC shakes.
Huge thread here - Need help picking a good protein powder

Also..,yeah, cheese and dairy can be stallers for some. I had a problem with half&half despite being in ketosis but not heavy cream.
UghNowWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by UghNowWhat View Post
Some of the recipes here aren't so bad..they can be pretty simple but if you haven't developed a taste for them yet I'd stay away until you get bored. They can be too tempting and addicting. lol

Protein powder is fine depending on the kind. Better and cheaper than prepackaged LC shakes.
Huge thread here - Need help picking a good protein powder

Also..,yeah, cheese and dairy can be stallers for some. I had a problem with half&half despite being in ketosis but not heavy cream.
Thank you!
Old 09-18-2013, 05:38 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JennyBell
Stats: 269/253.4/165
WOE: High Fat Low Carb
Start Date: 08-26-13
I was in the same place as you last week.

End of Week 3 and NO results. Very frustrated

Also, if you check out my blog, you will see that I was very frustrated and it ended with great results, mental and physical.

It turned out to be positive, so like everyone told me, stick with it. You will see results.

ps. I had the same misconception that ketosis meant fat burning, which it does, but it doesn't always equate weight loss.

www.lowcarbhighfatapprentice.blogspot.com

Last edited by JennyBell; 09-18-2013 at 05:40 AM.. Reason: Added blog address
JennyBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyBell View Post
I was in the same place as you last week.

End of Week 3 and NO results. Very frustrated

Also, if you check out my blog, you will see that I was very frustrated and it ended with great results, mental and physical.

It turned out to be positive, so like everyone told me, stick with it. You will see results.

ps. I had the same misconception that ketosis meant fat burning, which it does, but it doesn't always equate weight loss.

Low Carb High Fat Apprentice
Thank you! I have been craving fat and protein all day. This is, thankfully, something I can eat but I doubt I will show a loss tomorrow because of the sheer quantity of food I've eaten.

It is good to know that I wasn't the only one frustrated and puzzled by this. I may never view my ketostix the same way again.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:47 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nspeedracer
Stats: 149/124/115 5'3''
this happened while i was on a medication, i couldnt lose weight even in ketosis.
nspeedracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:57 PM   #12

Hmmm...I wonder if vitamins/supplements are ever suspect in stalls?
Old 09-19-2013, 07:06 AM   #13
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Ketosis does not equal weight loss (as you are learning). It is very typical to have the initial losses in the first week and then to have a pause. It is known as the post induction stall. It is best to resist making a bunch of changes and just stick to your program as it is written. If in a few more weeks you are still stuck, then start to make changes. This may prevent you from making your woe more restrictive than it needs to be.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:25 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Ketosis does not equal weight loss (as you are learning). It is very typical to have the initial losses in the first week and then to have a pause. It is known as the post induction stall. It is best to resist making a bunch of changes and just stick to your program as it is written. If in a few more weeks you are still stuck, then start to make changes. This may prevent you from making your woe more restrictive than it needs to be.
That's good advice. It's funny how the scale at a standstill can be so discouraging. If I focus on the fact that I AM lighter now than I was, even if it was only water, and my clothes look and fit better, I have been sleeping better because I don't seem to snore when I LC then I should just be happy to stay right on track and not let a few lbs trip up everything else!
Old 09-20-2013, 08:36 AM   #15

Gallery: CurlsNCuffs
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2, 2003
Sometimes the scale does not move for me but, my clothes fit better. Sometimes even lose. Don't just go by the scale.
CurlsNCuffs is offline   Reply With Quote