Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Stalled while in ketosis? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/812443-stalled-while-ketosis.html)

silkandsand 09-17-2013 04:49 PM

Stalled while in ketosis?

I'm low-carbing and was losing very well my first week with a 5 lb loss. Its been 2 weeks now and I am just staying where I am, maybe even gaining a few ounces. I'm still in ketosis. Any ideas? Has this happened to you? I always thought that if I was in deep ketosis, especially while drinking lots of water, that meant I am losing weight. :confused:

UghNowWhat 09-17-2013 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silkandsand (Post 16608639)
I'm low-carbing and was losing very well my first week with a 5 lb loss. Its been 2 weeks now and I am just staying where I am, maybe even gaining a few ounces. I'm still in ketosis. Any ideas? Has this happened to you? I always thought that if I was in deep ketosis, especially while drinking lots of water, that meant I am losing weight. :confused:

It happens to many people. Ketosis just means you're burning fat for energy..which can be the fat you're eating. The first 5lbs come off so easy because it is water weight from carbs.

People stall for different reasons.. I don't lose weight if my calories are too high. Low carb bars and products stall many people.

slowknight 09-17-2013 05:33 PM

That second week stall after losing a ton the first week is very common. By week 3 or 4 it will come off again.

ivyjewels 09-17-2013 05:56 PM

Be patient it will happen.

Weight/fat loss takes time.

Your doing great!

silkandsand 09-17-2013 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowknight (Post 16608679)
That second week stall after losing a ton the first week is very common. By week 3 or 4 it will come off again.

Thanks! That's encouraging to know. I'm sticking with it...just looking at my menu and trying to eat cleaner. I have low-carbed extremely successfully in the past. It's just not as easy now!

I think I may cut cheese and dairy out altogether...I really haven't had much but maybe that will help get things moving again.

silkandsand 09-17-2013 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivyjewels (Post 16608696)
Be patient it will happen.

Weight/fat loss takes time.

Your doing great!

Thanks for the reminder! :laugh: I know I wasn't packing the pounds on this anxiously so I really shouldn't be trying to lose them that quickly...besides maybe the weight will stay OFF better if I lose slower.

Quote:

Originally Posted by UghNowWhat (Post 16608667)
It happens to many people. Ketosis just means you're burning fat for energy..which can be the fat you're eating. The first 5lbs come off so easy because it is water weight from carbs.

People stall for different reasons.. I don't lose weight if my calories are too high. Low carb bars and products stall many people.

Thankfully, I haven't been sucked in yet by all the wonderful LC dessert recipes on here...but I do have a bunch of them printed out! I'm also staying far away from any Frankenfoods except I would like to get protein powder...maybe that's not a Frankenfood but when I did Atkins before I didn't even have that.

UghNowWhat 09-17-2013 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silkandsand (Post 16608707)
Thankfully, I haven't been sucked in yet by all the wonderful LC dessert recipes on here...but I do have a bunch of them printed out! I'm also staying far away from any Frankenfoods except I would like to get protein powder...maybe that's not a Frankenfood but when I did Atkins before I didn't even have that.

Some of the recipes here aren't so bad..they can be pretty simple but if you haven't developed a taste for them yet I'd stay away until you get bored. They can be too tempting and addicting. lol

Protein powder is fine depending on the kind. Better and cheaper than prepackaged LC shakes.
Huge thread here - http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ma...in-powder.html

Also..,yeah, cheese and dairy can be stallers for some. I had a problem with half&half despite being in ketosis but not heavy cream.

silkandsand 09-17-2013 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UghNowWhat (Post 16608722)
Some of the recipes here aren't so bad..they can be pretty simple but if you haven't developed a taste for them yet I'd stay away until you get bored. They can be too tempting and addicting. lol

Protein powder is fine depending on the kind. Better and cheaper than prepackaged LC shakes.
Huge thread here - http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ma...in-powder.html

Also..,yeah, cheese and dairy can be stallers for some. I had a problem with half&half despite being in ketosis but not heavy cream.

Thank you! :hugs:

JennyBell 09-18-2013 05:38 AM

I was in the same place as you last week.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ma...rustrated.html

Also, if you check out my blog, you will see that I was very frustrated and it ended with great results, mental and physical.

It turned out to be positive, so like everyone told me, stick with it. You will see results.

ps. I had the same misconception that ketosis meant fat burning, which it does, but it doesn't always equate weight loss.

www.lowcarbhighfatapprentice.blogspot.com

silkandsand 09-18-2013 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JennyBell (Post 16609115)
I was in the same place as you last week.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ma...rustrated.html

Also, if you check out my blog, you will see that I was very frustrated and it ended with great results, mental and physical.

It turned out to be positive, so like everyone told me, stick with it. You will see results.

ps. I had the same misconception that ketosis meant fat burning, which it does, but it doesn't always equate weight loss.

Low Carb High Fat Apprentice

Thank you! I have been craving fat and protein all day. This is, thankfully, something I can eat but I doubt I will show a loss tomorrow because of the sheer quantity of food I've eaten.

It is good to know that I wasn't the only one frustrated and puzzled by this. I may never view my ketostix the same way again.

nspeedracer 09-18-2013 07:47 PM

this happened while i was on a medication, i couldnt lose weight even in ketosis.

silkandsand 09-18-2013 07:57 PM

Hmmm...I wonder if vitamins/supplements are ever suspect in stalls?

clackley 09-19-2013 07:06 AM

Ketosis does not equal weight loss (as you are learning). It is very typical to have the initial losses in the first week and then to have a pause. It is known as the post induction stall. It is best to resist making a bunch of changes and just stick to your program as it is written. If in a few more weeks you are still stuck, then start to make changes. This may prevent you from making your woe more restrictive than it needs to be.

silkandsand 09-19-2013 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clackley (Post 16610762)
Ketosis does not equal weight loss (as you are learning). It is very typical to have the initial losses in the first week and then to have a pause. It is known as the post induction stall. It is best to resist making a bunch of changes and just stick to your program as it is written. If in a few more weeks you are still stuck, then start to make changes. This may prevent you from making your woe more restrictive than it needs to be.

That's good advice. It's funny how the scale at a standstill can be so discouraging. If I focus on the fact that I AM lighter now than I was, even if it was only water, and my clothes look and fit better, I have been sleeping better because I don't seem to snore when I LC then I should just be happy to stay right on track and not let a few lbs trip up everything else!

CurlsNCuffs 09-20-2013 08:36 AM

Sometimes the scale does not move for me but, my clothes fit better. Sometimes even lose. Don't just go by the scale.