Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Grain Brain (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/812425-grain-brain.html)

GailyGail 09-17-2013 08:45 AM

Grain Brain

Hi Folks, a new book came out today called "Grain Brain" by Dr. David Perlmutter which advocates for low carb WOE. The book states that people can lower their risk of getting Alzheimers disease and dementia by 65% by following a low carb eating plan. He believes that eating foods high in sugar and carbohydrates dumb us down while speeding up the aging process.

Viva Low Carb!:clap:

Mistizoom 09-17-2013 08:46 AM

Thanks! I downloaded a sample to my Kindle.

Emily-D 09-17-2013 10:32 AM

Interesting!

shelby'snana 09-17-2013 10:43 AM

that's one of my main reasons to LC .....My Dad died a horrible death last year from Alz/ Dem and I am going to do everything I can to not end up the same way !!

Just say NO to sugar and flour !

ravenrose 09-17-2013 11:12 AM

as an aside here, for people experiencing some of those problems, I think it's worth trying a LOT of coconut oil. I'm not sure the science is conclusive yet, but there are reasons to think this allows a brain that can no longer process glucose properly to use a secondary energy source and keep working. (of course you could get those ketones from being in ketosis as well, but that is asking a lot of someone who is suffering severe dementia... coconut oil is easier and faster.)

GailyGail 09-17-2013 11:16 AM

Laura, I am so sorry for your loss. And good for you for sticking to low carb.

alex_in_wonderland 09-17-2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravenrose (Post 16608356)
as an aside here, for people experiencing some of those problems, I think it's worth trying a LOT of coconut oil. I'm not sure the science is conclusive yet, but there are reasons to think this allows a brain that can no longer process glucose properly to use a secondary energy source and keep working. (of course you could get those ketones from being in ketosis as well, but that is asking a lot of someone who is suffering severe dementia... coconut oil is easier and faster.)

That's really interesting. Do you have a source/article to peruse by chance?

shelby'snana 09-17-2013 03:16 PM

I put co in my coffee every day too........

DiamondDeb 09-17-2013 07:46 PM

Thanks for mentioning it. I also just downloaded a sample to my Kindle.

It sounds like he might be against all grains rather than just wheat...?

I, for one, would be much happier if these authors would spend a little more time coming up with good titles instead of the cutsie ones that scream fad diet. /pet peeve vent

Janknitz 09-17-2013 07:51 PM

If you google, you can find some good podcast interviews. He's very passionate about his position and therefore very inspiring.

shelby'snana 09-20-2013 10:26 AM

I just ordered mine from Amazon too........

nspeedracer 09-20-2013 06:29 PM

They are finding Lyme disease in brains of Alzheimer patients. Carbs n sugar feed Lyme bacteria.

Girlieschmoo 09-21-2013 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alex_in_wonderland (Post 16608534)

Do a google search for Bruce Fife or get ahold of any of his books. He has all the research. Weston Price Foundation might have some as well.

clackley 09-21-2013 05:52 PM

Here is a link to dr. Mary Newports' work.
http://www.coconutoil.com/Alzheimers...aryNewport.pdf

shunsweets 09-22-2013 04:19 AM

Just downloaded this to my kindle. Thanks for the suggestion.

jokath 09-22-2013 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alex_in_wonderland (Post 16608534)

There's a very interesting book on the subject also the title is Alzheimer's Disease: What if There Was a Cure by Mary T Newport.

clackley 09-22-2013 07:26 AM

I can tell you it is a hit according to my library availability. 22 holds with 47 copies, 4 holds / 6 copies of large print and cd version, 8 holds on something they don't yet have. I do hope they get the e/audio.

DiamondDeb 10-07-2013 02:28 PM

I was impressed by the Grain Brain sample I read & then, coincidentally, read an article by Mercola that contained quotes by & much praise for Dr. P.

From what I have read, it sounds like Grain Brain is an even more important book than Wheat Belly.

My library does not have Grain Brain so I think I might order it from Amazon. I don't want this on Kindle because I expect I'll be referring back to different things & also might want to share the info with some who don't have a Kindle.

shelby'snana 10-07-2013 03:17 PM

I got mine from Amazon . It wasn't expensive. I'm still reading it . Need to sit down and finish it !!

cfine 10-07-2013 03:33 PM

I'm in the process of reading right now.

Mistizoom 10-07-2013 04:34 PM

I'm reading it too!

dawnyama 10-07-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistizoom (Post 16634431)
I'm reading it too!

Just the sample, or did you like it so much you bought the book?

Mistizoom 10-07-2013 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawnyama (Post 16634452)
Just the sample, or did you like it so much you bought the book?

I liked the sample so much that I bought the book for my Kindle.

dawnyama 10-07-2013 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistizoom (Post 16634457)
I liked the sample so much that I bought the book for my Kindle.

:up: I just picked up the sample, that was why I was asking.

bettycooker 10-08-2013 03:48 AM

Just finished the book Grain Brain. I loved it as much as the Wheat Belly book. The Grain Brain book is filled with important information on health and the dangers of wheat. This is another book I won't part with since I have highlighted and taken notes. I'm sure I will read it time and time again.

Aquarius 11-04-2013 02:19 PM

I am about 1/2 way through Grain Brain now. I haven't had time over the last few weeks to really sit down and read; it's been frustrating.

But wow - the part on statins was absolutely horrifying! Not only do they interfere with liver function, they interfere with the brain manufacturing cholesterol. I am more resolute than ever to not take them. I have never been convinced that high blood lipids in and of themselves are worth medicating; it sounds like for all the medicating going into lowering the numbers, the risk for heart attack is roughly the same based on actual heart attack numbers and not someone's interpretation of risk factors.

High cholesterol runs in my family. Of course, my entire family eats carbs like they are going out of style, so that might factor into it. But I don't think I'll be getting tested anytime soon, just in case. I won't take statins no matter what the numbers. Is there any other reason to bother with it?

sarahatl 11-04-2013 03:00 PM

I have the book and heard a podcast with him regarding the book. Interesting he said the higher the A1C the higher the rate of dementia. So interesting...I will do whatever it takes to keep my brain healthy.

Annabel Lee 11-05-2013 06:00 AM

This is on my wish list.
Can't wait to read it!

Mimosa23 11-05-2013 06:09 AM

I found it a great read! Definitely one of my new favourites!

Both my grandmothers had a form of Alzheimer's and dementia, so this book was particularly interesting for me.

Aquarius 11-05-2013 06:32 AM

Got to read more last night. He explains A1C (something I was not familiar with) and how sugar binds to proteins in the body and makes them unable to fold properly. Which happens to LDL (in and of itself not bad, but when sugar binds to it becomes a problem). So sugar/starch effects way, way more than just the pancreas and insulin. I went low carb because of insulin but the more I learn, the more confident I am in my choice.

I would love to know the connection and science behind cancer and sugar. Perlmutter is focused on brain function, but he keeps mentioning cancer in his list of chronic illnesses that gluten effects. Does anyone know a book that addresses this?