Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2013, 12:50 PM   #61
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
Okay, guess I'd better go see if I can find them. Are they on u-tube? I'll check. Deb, just do what Kevin Trudeau suggested. Do what you can. I have been able to eliminate a lot toxic stuff, but I haven't given up my perfumes. Origins is a good brand that is supposed to have better ingredients in it and using bare minerals, it's just that, minerals.

I think people get overwhelmed and really, just do what you can, start small and go from there..
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2013, 08:54 PM   #62
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
I've never paid much attention to the Bulletproof Coffee craze but, after listening to Dave Asprey's talk during the Gluten Summit, I'm planning to spend some time reading up on his thoughts on all sorts of things on his site.

Right from the start I was surprised by how many of his experiences and realizations paralleled mine. I kept saying out loud, "YES!!! EXACTLY!" I love that kind of surprise!
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:11 PM   #63
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowangel9 View Post
Okay, guess I'd better go see if I can find them. Are they on u-tube? I'll check. Deb, just do what Kevin Trudeau suggested. Do what you can. I have been able to eliminate a lot toxic stuff, but I haven't given up my perfumes. Origins is a good brand that is supposed to have better ingredients in it and using bare minerals, it's just that, minerals.

I think people get overwhelmed and really, just do what you can, start small and go from there..
You can find them by Googling "The Gluten Summit." They are only available free for 24 hours.

I did not mean to give the impression that I'm overwhelmed. I just know from working it a bit in the past that it can be tough to determine if all ingredients in a non-food item are non-toxic. Maybe there are better sites with more complete info now but they tend to include products they know are OK and no info about specific products I might want to check. It ends up taking a huge amount of time.

I use good products (bareMinerals is one) now but I know there are a few ingredients that should be eliminated. That will most likely end up being something I work on over the next several months as I use things up that I already have.

My goal is to be as healthy & fit as I can be. I'm getting to the point where I realize "a little" is not OK. Just as a little sugar or wheat is not OK for my health, neither is it OK for my health to have a little bit of toxic ingredients on my skin or in my home. That is like saying it is OK to be a little bit sick all the time.

BTW, I stopped wearing perfumes about 8 years ago. They don't bother me but there are too many people in the world with chemical sensitivities & I do not want to add to anyone's health problems.

I still like scented bath & body products though...
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:10 AM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sarahatl
WOE: No Flour No Sugar
Start Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
I've never paid much attention to the Bulletproof Coffee craze but, after listening to Dave Asprey's talk during the Gluten Summit, I'm planning to spend some time reading up on his thoughts on all sorts of things on his site.

Right from the start I was surprised by how many of his experiences and realizations paralleled mine. I kept saying out loud, "YES!!! EXACTLY!" I love that kind of surprise!
I tried to go to that page but I think you could only access it free from Nov-11 to 17....must have just missed it? What are your thoughts on the bullet proof coffee craze? I never quite understood it. Thank you!
sarahatl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:25 PM   #65
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/158/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
I’ve never been a huge Dr. Oz fan. Sounds like he is changing his tune.

Do Carbs Cause Alzehimer's? Pt 1 - Do Carbs Cause Alzheimer's? | The Dr. Oz Show

Do Carbs Cause Alzehimer's? Pt 2 - Do Carbs Cause Alzheimer's? | The Dr. Oz Show
Erin57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 03:45 PM   #66
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Midlyfechrysalis
Stats: 237/212/something healthy
WOE: Meat, veggies, eggs, limited dairy
Start Date: 9/7/13 (interupted 10/15 by car accident)
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarpluvia View Post
The library finally came through with Grain Brain and I read it yesterday. Good and compelling info that reinforces low carb as a very good lifestyle choice, even if you aren't losing weight. Also, statins BAD!

The first two thirds of the book are the good stuff and contain the actual info, though to me it really looks like a well researched arguement for low carb with some research and anecdotal evidence for gluten free. And a bit too glib in the area of mental illness and how going gluten free can be a magic cure for the crazy. I can tell you right now that it isn't. Hasn't helped mine at all, but my sinuses are happier which does help my mood indirectly.

The final third is a totally worthless and unsustainable poke at a "low carb" diet. The recipes don't have nutrition data, but just by the ingredients it looks like many of them would be too carby for most people on this board. The repeated insistance on grass-fed and organic and exotic is offputting and just too expensive for most people. And for some weird reason he is totally anti-ketchup, even though it is gluten free (the Heinz low sugar is, anyway), but salsa is ok. Also, the "drink lots of extra water if you drink coffee or tea" is generally considered not true. Better to use Atkins or Duke low carb plans, because the one in this book isn't detailed enough and even a bit contradictory.

The advice on supplements is decent and none of the ones he recommends would hurt you and might help. Though I would say r-lipoic acid instead of alpha-lipoic acid, as it is the active form and usually better quality.

Overall, I got the feeling that it was generally tilted toward gluten free and titled Grain Brain in order to cash in on the popularity of Wheat Belly. At least it will help get the rest of the information on blood sugar and cholesterol and brain health out into the world.
Great review. I just finished reading it. Although the "chocolate truffles" from his recipe section are in my fridge, I agree that the last part of the book took a nose dive in terms of scholarly and clinical reality.

I did like his info on inflammation and statins. It was research based and sciencey, but reachable to lay persons.

Although I liked the first 2/3, I did feel it was poorly titled in terms of chapters and disorganized.

I haven't finished Wheat Belly yet. That's next. (I've read How We Get Fat, Good Calories, etc.)
Midlyfechrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #67
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Dr Perlmutter will be on Dr Oz tomorrow. It is a repeat of his show earlier when he was on promoting his book "Grain Brain". I didn't get to watch his first appearance, but will be watching tomorrow.
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:22 PM   #68
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
Dr Perlmutter will be on Dr Oz tomorrow. It is a repeat of his show earlier when he was on promoting his book "Grain Brain". I didn't get to watch his first appearance, but will be watching tomorrow.
Thanks, I thought I DVR'd this the first time, but it never showed up. I will set it up now.
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 02:58 AM   #69
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
You can always go to the site and watch the segments there.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:26 PM   #70
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BumbleStang
Stats: 239/202/165
WOE: Protein Power, switched to Atkins 1/1/14
Start Date: 6/14/13
Dr. Perlmutter is on PBS right now on a program called BrainChange. It repeats in a few hours if you want to set your dvr.
BumbleStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:27 PM   #71
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleStang View Post
Dr. Perlmutter is on PBS right now on a program called BrainChange. It repeats in a few hours if you want to set your dvr.
The program is on at completely different times and dates in different PBS markets. Unfortunately it is not being offered on my PBS station at this time. Dr. Perlmutter's website has a schedule on it for different geographical regions.
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote