Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2013, 08:39 AM   #31
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Cancer as a metabolic disease written by Thomas N Seyfried examines this. I have not read it but there is a great blog on the book that is quite worthwhile.

What Causes Cancer? Part I » Diagnosis: Diet
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2013, 08:42 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tttmom
Stats: 6/30/14...164.4/161.9/125
WOE: LC paleo/primal
Been waiting a long time for this book. Putting it on my wish list
tttmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:25 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aquarius
Stats: 190/135/125
WOE: Atkins-ish
Start Date: 3/3/2012
Cathy, thanks for the link to the Diagnosis: Diet blog. I read her posts about Cancer as a Metabolic Disease, as well as some others on vegetables. Very enlightening and well written.
Aquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:51 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lynnport
Very interesting book, I enjoyed the perspective of a neurologist vs a cardiologist. I've been wheat free for a year and a half and have never felt better. I'm ready to up the game and start helping the brain more too!
lynnport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:50 AM   #35
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius View Post
Cathy, thanks for the link to the Diagnosis: Diet blog. I read her posts about Cancer as a Metabolic Disease, as well as some others on vegetables. Very enlightening and well written.
Someone here on lcf pointed me towards that and I found it really well written and interesting. I would like to think I will read the book at some point but it is expensive.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:16 AM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius View Post
Got to read more last night. He explains A1C (something I was not familiar with) and how sugar binds to proteins in the body and makes them unable to fold properly. Which happens to LDL (in and of itself not bad, but when sugar binds to it becomes a problem). So sugar/starch effects way, way more than just the pancreas and insulin. I went low carb because of insulin but the more I learn, the more confident I am in my choice.

I would love to know the connection and science behind cancer and sugar. Perlmutter is focused on brain function, but he keeps mentioning cancer in his list of chronic illnesses that gluten effects. Does anyone know a book that addresses this?
The various paleo diet books talk about modern western diet causing modern western diseases. It isn't just sugar and flour. There is a real, palpable fear of omega-6 oils. Frankly, I am more fearful of vegetable oils especially when heated to high temperatures, than anything now, because of oxidation. Soy is considered problematic as are legumes as well.

Flour + sugar + omega-6 oils = modern diseases

Modern hunter gatherers don't suffer from heart disease, diabetes, alzheimers, cancer....

What the paleo dieters don't bring up much is that it seems the Okinawans don't either. I read that the eldest of the elders make it to old age without ever even having known anyone with cancer. Lustig does lightly touch on this - what does the Japanese Diet and the Atkins Diet have in common? They both eliminate fructose.

In my mind, it is processed food that is the problem. Inflammation is the beginning of disease. Processed foods cause inflammation.

Anyway, Chris Kresser has a good summary about diet vs. modern diseases. If you google the words below you will find it

Chris Kresser 9 steps to perfect health - #1 don't eat toxins

Here is the start of the article. It does address cancer later in the article under sugar and omega-6 vegetable oils (inflammation).

Imagine a world where:

■diabetes, heart diseases, autoimmunity and other modern diseases are rare or don’t exist at all
■we are naturally lean and fit
■we are fertile throughout our childbearing years
■we sleep peacefully and deeply
■we age gracefully without degenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s and osteoporosis

While this might sound like pure fantasy today, anthropological evidence suggests that this is exactly how human beings lived for the vast majority of our evolutionary history.

Today, most people accept diseases like obesity, diabetes, infertility and Alzheimer’s as “normal”. But while these diseases may now be common, they’re anything but normal. Humans evolved roughly 2.5 million years ago, and for roughly 84,000 generations we were naturally free of the modern diseases which kill millions of people each year and make countless others miserable. In fact, the world I asked you to imagine above – which may seem preposterous and unattainable today – was the natural human state for our entire history on this planet up until a couple hundred years ago.

What was responsible for the change? What transformed us from naturally healthy and vital people free of degenerative disease into a world of sick, fat, infertile and unhappy people?

In a word? The modern lifestyle. And though there are several aspects of our current lifestyle that contribute to disease, the widespread consumption of food toxins is by far the greatest offender. Specifically, the following four dietary toxins are to blame:

■Cereal grains (especially refined flour)
■Omega-6 industrial seed oils (corn, cottonseed, safflower, soybean, etc.)
■Sugar (especially high-fructose corn syrup)
■Processed soy (soy milk, soy protein, soy flour, etc.)

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html

Last edited by Key Tones; 11-06-2013 at 08:21 AM..
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:24 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Yes, Key Tones, Perlmutter also talks about the modern oils. I can't remember which but a few of them are 100% omega-6 and they are very common. It makes me very happy I decided to start making my own 100% olive oil mayonnaise; that was probably my biggest percentage of soybean oil consumption.

I love what you say about the connection between Atkins and the Okinawan diets. Also, throw the Inuit diet in there too, same thing. What has always bothered me about the conclusions of by the various diet studies is the way they always seem to just throw out things that don't match the conclusion. Like, someone wants to claim that a plant-based diet eliminates cancer risk. So they look at the Okinawan diet. Someone wants to claim that a meat-based diet eliminates cancer risk and they use the Inuit diet. Both studies ignore the fact that the other, seemingly contradictory evidence exists. True science would seek to explain the seeming discrepancy instead of ignoring it because it was inconvenient to their case.

That is what I like a lot in Perlmutter's book. He addresses these seeming inconsistencies and makes a case over and over that the ignored common denominator is grain/gluten and other inflammatory modern ingredients. When you plug that into the equation, the results no longer contradict. They make perfect sense.

I ponder this, and wonder - will this ever catch on in the medical community? Will this knowledge ever become mainstream? Or are we so entrenched in the false knowledge of what is "good" for us and what is "bad" that we will just keep medicating those pesky side effects of the modern diet instead of understanding the causes and solutions?

I am serious. These thoughts keep me up at night. Crazy, I know, but there it is.

Last edited by Aquarius; 11-06-2013 at 09:34 AM..
Old 11-06-2013, 09:30 AM   #38
Chatty Cathy

Excellent post K.T.. People need to realize that these seed oils are a big problem and they are so prevalent. Even some supplements!
Old 11-06-2013, 09:44 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sarahatl
WOE: No Flour No Sugar
Start Date: May 2013
This is such an interesting discussion! I really do not understand why more Doctors do not preach this to their patients.
sarahatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:20 AM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
I get apoplexic when I hear The Okinawan diet in particular referred to as "starch-based". I grew up there, and they eat ate plenty of meat, seafood, and natural fats. Yet people like McDougall would have you think that the Okinawan diet contributes to longevity because it is vegan--it is not. It is a diet high in vegetables and certainly includes starch in the form of rice, noodles, and sweet potato, but meat, eggs, fish, and seafood cooked in their natural fats are also prominent.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:24 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Yet people like McDougall would have you think that the Okinawan diet contributes to longevity because it is vegan--it is not.
That sort of thing drives me crazy, too.

Like when I read articles comparing diets, and Atkins comes out ahead in all aspects (weight loss, health indicators, dieter satisfaction). But they invariably tag on the end how it is considered unhealthy because it allows for saturated fats. Based on what? Old wives' tales about what causes heart disease? Most people are shocked when I tell them that Atkins was a cardiologist and he developed the diet to help people with heart disease.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:17 PM   #42
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
Great thread! Just reinforces what I all ready believe. My Dad died from/with dementia, Alzheimer's. I know, that's not how he would have wanted to live. It's so sad. So, it just makes me that much more determined to eat right and get healthy..
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:45 PM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
My grandmother and my mother both had Alzheimers. I don't know if this WOE will really prevent it, but it's the only hope I have. Worth a try, rather than letting myself eat horrible stuff, get diabetic, and doing nothing.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Janknitz, at least according to Perlmutter and he seems to have a lot of evidence on his side, it is probably the best thing you can do.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:56 PM   #45
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowangel9 View Post
Great thread! Just reinforces what I all ready believe. My Dad died from/with dementia, Alzheimer's. I know, that's not how he would have wanted to live. It's so sad. So, it just makes me that much more determined to eat right and get healthy..
I could have written this.......
shelby'snana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:27 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby'snana View Post
I could have written this.......
Oh my...me too....but it was my mother. I am trying so give up sugar and wheat in my diet.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:57 PM   #47
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: teri f
Stats: 203/127/125
WOE: High fat VLC
Start Date: Original start: January 3, 2001. Restart 6/18/2007
I have grain brain and wheat belly in audio books and have listened to both several times. Lots of great info.
teri f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:35 AM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: solarpluvia
Stats: 220/169/140 5'5" 37yo
WOE: HFLC
Start Date: 3 July 2011
The library finally came through with Grain Brain and I read it yesterday. Good and compelling info that reinforces low carb as a very good lifestyle choice, even if you aren't losing weight. Also, statins BAD!

The first two thirds of the book are the good stuff and contain the actual info, though to me it really looks like a well researched arguement for low carb with some research and anecdotal evidence for gluten free. And a bit too glib in the area of mental illness and how going gluten free can be a magic cure for the crazy. I can tell you right now that it isn't. Hasn't helped mine at all, but my sinuses are happier which does help my mood indirectly.

The final third is a totally worthless and unsustainable poke at a "low carb" diet. The recipes don't have nutrition data, but just by the ingredients it looks like many of them would be too carby for most people on this board. The repeated insistance on grass-fed and organic and exotic is offputting and just too expensive for most people. And for some weird reason he is totally anti-ketchup, even though it is gluten free (the Heinz low sugar is, anyway), but salsa is ok. Also, the "drink lots of extra water if you drink coffee or tea" is generally considered not true. Better to use Atkins or Duke low carb plans, because the one in this book isn't detailed enough and even a bit contradictory.

The advice on supplements is decent and none of the ones he recommends would hurt you and might help. Though I would say r-lipoic acid instead of alpha-lipoic acid, as it is the active form and usually better quality.

Overall, I got the feeling that it was generally tilted toward gluten free and titled Grain Brain in order to cash in on the popularity of Wheat Belly. At least it will help get the rest of the information on blood sugar and cholesterol and brain health out into the world.
solarpluvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:58 AM   #49
Senior LCF Member

I saw his list of foods to eat and not eat . You can eat cheese..but do you think that includes cream cheese?
Old 11-08-2013, 12:38 PM   #50
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahatl View Post
I saw his list of foods to eat and not eat . You can eat cheese..but do you think that includes cream cheese?
Yes. Cream cheese is just an unripened cheese. It would be fine.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:51 AM   #51
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: momov2boys
Saw this book at Costco!
momov2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:42 AM   #52
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I just got it in the mail but haven't read it because I have a book about an allergy elimination diet and a new cookbook in front of it. My book table is getting backed up.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:00 PM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FitMommyNow
Stats: 280/235/160
WOE: No Sugar, No Grains, No Dairy, No Nuts
I think Dr. Perlmutter is supposed to be on Fox and Friends in the morning. Have my DVR set to record it.
FitMommyNow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:09 PM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: buttonwillow
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: RE-start date Feb. 2, 2008
Dr. Perlmutter was a guest on Robb Wolf's podcast #200 on Sept. 17. Great interview, well worth looking for it on Robb's website.
buttonwillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:02 PM   #55
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Is anyone else following The Gluten Summit? It is free online with many well-known speakers, including Dr. P.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:07 AM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Barbie83
Stats: 266/251.6/180
WOE: Low Carb/Intermittent Fasting
Start Date: 2/19/2014
off to find it!!
Barbie83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:25 AM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: girondet
Stats: Maintaining 125-128, 5'5"
WOE: Bernstein/paleo
Start Date: May 2009
Yes, I have been following The Gluten Summit closely and have learned lots when I thought I'd already heard it all It's definitely worthwhile!
girondet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:56 AM   #58

I'm enjoying the talks, too, but I have missed some of them. I wish they kept them available online rather than for only 24 hrs.

I've been taking a few notes and picked up a few quotes that will probably come in handy over the holidays when my lack of indulging in junk is noticed.

It makes me feel really good to hear them recommending eating close to the way I've come to eat over time.

Last edited by DiamondDeb; 11-16-2013 at 10:58 AM..
Old 11-16-2013, 11:05 AM   #59
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Star73
Stats: 238/220/140
WOE: LC
Start Date: 10/01/2012
I want to read this book. I've read Wheat Belly and numerous other books, but this one hits close to home. My grandmother has Alzheimer's right now. She doesn't even know us anymore. It's a sad disease, to look in the mirror and not know who is looking back.

I know gluten affects my thinking. I feel foggy headed and have poor memory. I'm more strict about avoiding it now. I don't even want to eat outside my home anymore.
Star73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:04 AM   #60

The talks at the Gluten Summit are so good! I caught all of the ones yesterday.

The more I learn the more scary our world seems. It seems like there must be a plot to destroy our health. One of the talks from yesterday clarified some things about non-food products.

I keep finding more things I should eliminate from my life. I've gotten to the point where I realize it is not deprivation to remove toxic things even if everyone else eats/uses them. But eliminating all personal products containing toxic ingredients is not going to be difficult. Not to mention the time involved researching those things. I check ingredients but I know I use things with a few bad ingredients. Like my favorite shower gel...
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint