LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2013, 09:35 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: coffeeandcream
Stats: 218/212/160
WOE: LC
Start Date: New Start Dec 2014
Disappointed that I have only gone down 2 sizes

I have lost almost 45 pounds, but only gone from a size 20 to a 16. I always thought the rule of thumb was 10 pounds per size. So that would be a 12...or at least a 14.

Anyone else experience the same thing?
coffeeandcream is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2013, 09:59 PM   #2
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
I'm sorry you're unhappy. Why not turn it around and celebrate the fact that you've gone down in size and are continuing to lose? Focus on all the good habits you're forming.

There is no rule of thumb for pounds per size. Someone once lost a size when they lost 10 lbs. and every dieter in the world latched on to it but it is not necessarily true. You can lose a lot of weight and not change size. You can also drop a size - or three - without ever seeing the scale go down.

I thought I'd never get out of that highest size I was wearing. lol... I finally admitted to myself that I was wearing clothes at least one size too small so that was part of the reason. Those clothes sure changed in how they fit over time and eventually they were too big. Looking back, it is funny but it was very frustrating at the time.

We tend to want everything NOW. Patience is hard to learn. I do my best to look only for the positives. Why look for something to make all my efforts seem worthless? My body knows what it is doing & it will change at a speed that is right for it.

Celebrate the good things! You are doing great!
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:07 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
At the larger sizes, it takes more to go down a size. Think of a roll of paper towels. When it's full, it takes more than a few sheets to make an appreciable difference. When it's smaller, one sheet can make a bigger difference. Sizes are the same. When our total circumference is larger, ten pounds has to spread all around. When we're smaller, it can take fewer than ten pounds to get down a size.

You'll get there. Keep doing what you're doing.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:45 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Anonymousity
Stats: 193.4/183.8/125
WOE: Stillmans.Yeah, its a D-I-E-T!
I'm down 22 pounds and still in the same size clothes or one size smaller clothes. It frustrated me at first as I had a goal size in mind, but I know I look a lot better. I'm not so hung up on my ultimate goal size anymore.
Anonymousity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:10 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LAGril
Stats: 235/163/130
WOE: strict old school Atkins
Start Date: May 17, 2009
And, size is just a number. . . . often an inaccurate one. I was trying on jeans last night while packing for a trip. The sizes ranged from 8 - 14. They all more or less fit. Now, that should not be possible, as its a fairly large size range. The 8s were looser than the 10s. Shrug. I am packing other articles of clothing that go from small to large and they all fit.

The lesson I learned is that clothing size is not a very good way to measure weight-loss success. You have lost a lot of weight and are, no doubt, healthier. Those should be the metrics you measure, not some number placed in a garment by a deluded manufacturer.
LAGril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:54 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 3fatcats
Stats: 184/163.5/160? , 5'7" learn to maintain!
WOE: NK-Stillmans-Atkins
I lost 50 lbs years ago and went from a little loose 16 to a 12. That it's it and the lowest size I can get. Maybe you have a bigger frame. i know I do.
3fatcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:53 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BulldogMom
Stats: 231/ 185.8 / 135
WOE: modified Atkins
Start Date: April 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeeandcream View Post
I have lost almost 45 pounds, but only gone from a size 20 to a 16. I always thought the rule of thumb was 10 pounds per size. So that would be a 12...or at least a 14.

Anyone else experience the same thing?
I'm the same way and its frustrating as far as clothing goes. I've lost almost 35 lbs and I've only gone from a 20/18 to a 16. Clothing sizes vary so much that some 16s are tight. I'm not losing in my belly as quickly as I thought I would. But as frustrating as it is, there's nothing to do but keep doing what I'm doing and hope that I'll eventually see the smaller sizes. What Ntombi says makes a lot of sense.
BulldogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:37 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/170/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2, 2012
Coffee and cream, going from a 20 to a 16 and losing 45 pounds is fantastic. I concur with what Ntombi and Bulldog Mom said too. Just keep up the good work and you will continue to lose and feel even better.
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:40 AM   #9
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
At the larger sizes, it takes more to go down a size. Think of a roll of paper towels. When it's full, it takes more than a few sheets to make an appreciable difference. When it's smaller, one sheet can make a bigger difference. Sizes are the same. When our total circumference is larger, ten pounds has to spread all around. When we're smaller, it can take fewer than ten pounds to get down a size.

clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:43 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
I lost 60 pounds and went from a 16w to a 12...sometimes a 10...there is no rule and I thought it woulld make a bigger difference too. I think my size 16 may have been stretched from refusinf to buy a bigger size so may be I have gone down more in size...maybe this is the case for you as well. I used a new belt to gauge my loss...after poking hole in that belt I finally got back into my old belt...maybe you should try something like that.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:01 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: coffeeandcream
Stats: 218/212/160
Start Date: New Start Dec 2014
Thanks all!

I am thrilled with my success! I have lost 7" inches in my waist....woohooo...... that is why the size thing is so weird to me....LOL

Last edited by coffeeandcream; 09-17-2013 at 08:06 AM..
coffeeandcream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:28 AM   #12
LJB
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LJB
Stats: Size 8 at Present
WOE: Real food.
Quote:

LJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:33 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: trishthedish
Stats: 26/22/14
Start Date: One day at a time
I agree it is hard to judge sizes. When I last tried on clothes, some 16’s were loose and some 16’s were too tight to zip. Some 18’s were swimming on me and some 18’s fit nicely.

I think the best way to compare is to put on something that was fitted (or in my case snug) at my highest weight and see how it fits now. I also monitor how the clothing I currently wear changes in how it fits. In these cases I am judging by the actual clothing item and not the size written on the tag.

Congrats on your fantastic success!
Old 09-17-2013, 11:58 AM   #14
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: pocahontas
Yep, no rule on sizes. I lost 50 lbs and only went down 1 size. That was years ago and I was starting in a size 24. The bigger sizes require a lot more weight loss to go down a size comfortably. Once you get closer to goal, I have noticed that you tend to drop sizes a little faster.
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:23 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/238/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Like so many things, the answer is, it depends. Weight distribution is a big one.

I went from size 26/28 pants to size 14/16 pants - so far! This is where most of the weight is on me.
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:59 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: astribling
Stats: 212/165/169(165 for wiggle room)
WOE: Moderate carbs/no sugar,no wheat
Start Date: June 26, 2012
Quote:

Love that analogy!
astribling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:33 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishthedish View Post
I think the best way to compare is to put on something that was fitted (or in my case snug) at my highest weight and see how it fits now. I also monitor how the clothing I currently wear changes in how it fits. In these cases I am judging by the actual clothing item and not the size written on the tag.
I was thinking this, too. I haven't gone down many sizes (18 to tight 12/14/61 pounds), but when I put on clothes that fit me at my high weight, it's pretty shocking.

I understand the frustration, though. I really wanna be at a lower size. I know it's all just a head game, but I'm short, so even a size 12 sounds too big. I feel like a size 8 would be what a more normal-weighted person would wear. But I have no idea what I'll look like as an 8. I usually think I look pretty good now, but then I think I must still be pretty big to be a 12. I know that's kinda wrong-headed. Gah!

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Skinny Train
It will help you to look at the sizing charts of clothing to understand why you have worked so hard and "only" shed two sizes. There is a tremendous difference between a 20 and a 16, while only a bit of difference between a 6 and a 2, relatively speaking. A good place to view size charts is nordstrom or qvc. At Nordstrom, you will likely have to look in two places, while the items at qvc generally link to one chart with both missy and plus sizing. It helps keep things in perspective for me.

And WAY TO GO on your loss!!! 45 pounds is AWESOME!!!!!
Skinny Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:24 PM   #19
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Honestly, you can't really go by clothing sizes. There is no consistency.

I've lost track of how many different sizes I wear that all fit right now. Checked...four different jean/pant sizes. Four different top sizes. And I am sure there are more out there.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote