Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Reaching Out to Those Who Lost and Many Years Later the Problems Come Back (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/812393-reaching-out-those-who-lost-many-years-later-problems-come-back.html)

Fitterly 09-16-2013 02:55 PM

Reaching Out to Those Who Lost and Many Years Later the Problems Come Back

Hello,

I'm a very old poster who successfully kept the weight off for years. For years I was on this forum obsessively, and then for some time I got away from the board, mainly because my work life was fulfilling and I was just so busy.

My new job is unsatisfying and the weight has crept to a new high. Now to many people I am not overweight, but for me it's the--the threshold. I have hit it. IT!

That number, that place I SWORE I'd never return to. And the scary part is, I'm healthy for the most part: breakfast, lunch, dinner...good. I get up at 4:30 am to work out, sometimes go twice a day... but the kicker is that my wine habit leads to more wine and more snacks. I'm piling my mouth at night because I'm not totally happy or mentally satisfied or maybe it's just a habit. I don't even know what...

And here I am.... and I'm really, really scared to be here. I'm scared to get more obsessive than I was before on this forum. I'm scared that with all of the heart rate monitors, calorie trackers, this that and the other that-- the bottle of wine is still a better answer because it chills me out. And on top of all that I've accomplished in my life, all the crap I've been through, I just put weight on very easily.

I relate to everyone here with hypothyroid. Many years ago I was dx'd with borderline, which is worse because they can't medicate you so you just gotta be OCD about it. I'm the person who has resigned to dressingless salads lately because WHAT GIVES.

And three days ago I just had surgery on my mouth, so you'd think I wouldn't eat. Nope I ate more. I have only taken three days off of working out but it's like a million years to me and three pounds I put on fast.

How does someone like me (I know others are out there) keep on trucking? I am so dedicated... but it's that the wine helped me... at first it helped me not obsessively snack... but now I have to fight the night time snackies without something to chill me out. And I know it's time to cut the sugar... but these are my vices that help me cover up the fact that... well... I'm not sure about my job or my life... and will I ever love my body? No.

Anyhow I am here because I'm looking for support from people who have been down this road. Are you like me? We: we were successful and we lost the weight and kept it off but somewhere or other we are gaining it back and we are afraid of diet because diet means our brains get sucked into this world that says stuff is bad... and I just don't want to diet... but we know ... it's time.

I would really, really appreciate someone to reach out and partner with me. I just want a buddy who is like me an will take a shrewd stance and will make good choices but nothing obsessive... about balance.

And if you're a creepy internet person/catfish/stalker, best be assured I am definitely wise enough to see through those antics. I have a solid educational background that gives me those extra "spidey senses" to know good people from ... well... you know :)

thanks for reading. :)

Erin57 09-16-2013 03:15 PM

Thanks for posting Fitter. Just want you to know that I think that I understand and can relate.:console:

I will take me awhile to give it some thought in order for me to respond.

emel 09-16-2013 03:40 PM

Right off the bat, I'd say the one thing that helped me the most is to pre-plan and pre-plate my allowed snack. I'd think about when I wanted to eat it, and when it was eaten, I was done with snacking.

Also, you might want to drink a water in between glasses of wine. Make it festive by serving it in stemware----sparkling water with a lemon wedge, or plain water chilled in the frig with a couple cucumber slices.

I know that for myself, it is a little difficult to beat the munchie cravings if I'm too relaxed from my bourbon, so I rotate my beverages with water.

Good luck and welcome back.

Nancy E. 09-16-2013 03:44 PM

Best place for advice you will ever get. A lot of us have been on the board for years, my advice to you, don't even try to give advice, just listen and learn. Totally in humor.

momov2boys 09-16-2013 03:45 PM

From one wine lover to another, :welcome: back Fitterly!

I started back here at LCFs earlier this year...

Back in 2006 I was completely obsessive and went from 122 to 97. It was unhealthy! I took LC + low-cal too far... I ended up with very disordered eating, terrible bingeing & then way up to 138 pounds. :eek:

This time around, I'm eating mostly LC & focusing on good choices, most of the time!

I refuse to get obsessive this time around.
And I'll never give up my wine. ;)

Fitterly 09-16-2013 04:59 PM

wow!

Honestly, I was hopin' and prayin' that someone would be out there like me. This site has been around far too long to not have people in our situation. I love the pre-planning and pre-plating, but it reminds me of being "diet-y" and I know I have a fear of this for a reason: I'm just so so scared that this forum will become my life. And yet, driving back from the doctor's appt I couldn't help but think "did people write back?, do they relate? what did they say?"

Any how! I feel so blessed that I have a neat group of people who have gone on LCF, been successful and many years later are wandering back but with that shrewdness I'm talking about.

Mom of 2 ... the commonalities we have! I'd love to be your support buddy as we venture through this journey.

Over the past year the weight loss battle got crazy hard! I think it's my age, oh that metabolism went from a jog to a walk shuffle. And I took up some awesome new activities. I am definitely not one who hates exercise. I've learned this about myself and as I've gotten older, I wish I had more time to do it. But I seem to be able to put in about 7 hours a week. And the crazy part is that I still have gained.

You know what they say, 70% of weight loss is diet. So of course, the hedonistic part of me is mad that I can't use my love of the endorphin rush to my benefit. Sure I'm fit, underneath these newly emergent fat rolls on my tummy.

So I need to wrestle with the night snackies and I'm not fond of water...:o is there any new research suggesting that things like crystal light are no-no's? I'm just wondering what the newest rules are here... and by rules I mean good research about the formation of insulin etc.

Also, if there is a support group for the "I conquered, I saw, and I'm back" type deal that would be awesome. I perused and haven't seen anything that fits this bill.

Thank you so much ladies, you rock! :sing:

Fitterly 09-16-2013 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin57 (Post 16607112)
Thanks for posting Fitter. Just want you to know that I think that I understand and can relate.:console:

I will take me awhile to give it some thought in order for me to respond.

no worries, understood and appreciated!

all of the responses are appreciated. i think i just bottled up something for about a year and posted today.

just admitting this feels very centering :)

SpunkiMama 09-16-2013 05:35 PM

i have been down your road!! i went from 240 to 130's took me 4yrs.... here i am again, at "my" limit back into the 170's but i dont see 170's, i see omg its almost 200 again!!

its almost crippling to crawl back to a time & place mentally that at one time we fought so hard to escape from!! i get it, i really do.... I am with ya on this...

however, chin up! we caught ourselves, we placed our tails between our legs...and we are seeking support!! you have support here, we did this once...we will do this again!!

(I love my wine too!)

Big_Al 09-16-2013 06:08 PM

I have a similar challenge but rather than wine it is beer. :o

And during the summer after doing yard work in the hot, humid Houston sun, I gotta have my beer ... and since I am so dehydrated from the sweating, I'll drink a lot more than I should too fast. And then like you I get the munchies ... salty snacks especially (probably due to all the sweating). Anyway ... a 10 pound weight gain happened again this summer that I had to lose.

For me, I found having lots of diet Powerades and club soda ice cold helped my through the issues. So I got in the habit of making sure some were in the fridge before I worked in the yard. Really helped me a lot.

The key for me was to tackle the problem immediately rather than throwing up my hands and going off the wagon for the summer.

itsmeshelly01 09-16-2013 07:04 PM

Omg. This is totally me too. I used to be obsessed with this board, constant tracking everything. I went from over 260 to 135 at my lowest. Everyone telling me I looked anorexic. And I was for me at that weight. Not eating, binging and purging, using laxatives. I finally saw it and started lifting weights and eating. I put om
n weight fast. Too fast. Now Im lost and I dont know how to lose it. Im up to about 165 and feel like its 200 or more. Im with you and I dont know what to do or where to begin.i have gone back to very strict low carb and still cant seem to lose and gain at the drop of a hat. I run, lift weights, kickbox. Your post really got me. I totally understand. Maybe we can help each other.

Fitterly 09-16-2013 08:06 PM

Wow! I'm so thrilled to see this boat filling with like minded conquerers who have legitimately lost the weight (and in some cases too much) and now we are back! The voyage is never over and now we can't feel it daunting as we have eachother. :)

I think I'm going to start a thread in the challenges area... I will post a link to it tomorrow. The very longevity of this board makes our situation real and perhaps common. My hiatus has been since 2008 when I started a new and awesome job (that I miss now). I maintained the entire time and even lost more... all in healthy ways but now.... not so much. Its been about a year of battling the wine and snacks wagon.

Thank you to everyone here for making it ok to just say what I needed to. By admitting my true feelings and behaviors I'm already doing so much better tonight and night snacking dropped to zilch!!!

Fitterly 09-16-2013 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpunkiMama (Post 16607325)
i have been down your road!! i went from 240 to 130's took me 4yrs.... here i am again, at "my" limit back into the 170's but i dont see 170's, i see omg its almost 200 again!!

its almost crippling to crawl back to a time & place mentally that at one time we fought so hard to escape from!! i get it, i really do.... I am with ya on this...

however, chin up! we caught ourselves, we placed our tails between our legs...and we are seeking support!! you have support here, we did this once...we will do this again!!

(I love my wine too!)

I don't thinky pride wanted me to admit the crippling feeling. This post resonates with me a zillion percent!

momov2boys 09-16-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitterly (Post 16607268)
Mom of 2 ... the commonalities we have! I'd love to be your support buddy as we venture through this journey.

I'm here! :hugs:
PM me, anytime!

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpunkiMama (Post 16607325)
...we did this once...we will do this again!!

(I love my wine too!)

:high5:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big_Al (Post 16607380)
The key for me was to tackle the problem immediately rather than throwing up my hands and going off the wagon for the summer.

:up:

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsmeshelly01 (Post 16607453)
... Maybe we can help each other.

:clap:

Fitterly 09-16-2013 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big_Al (Post 16607380)
I have a similar challenge but rather than wine it is beer. :o

And during the summer after doing yard work in the hot, humid Houston sun, I gotta have my beer ... and since I am so dehydrated from the sweating, I'll drink a lot more than I should too fast. And then like you I get the munchies ... salty snacks especially (probably due to all the sweating). Anyway ... a 10 pound weight gain happened again this summer that I had to lose.

For me, I found having lots of diet Powerades and club soda ice cold helped my through the issues. So I got in the habit of making sure some were in the fridge before I worked in the yard. Really helped me a lot.

Ok love craft beer too. Pranqster is crazy good. But that stuff is like liqud bread err wait it is! Anyhow I too love diet powerade... and I love gardening. My problem is around 3 or 4 pm on a Saturday the beer or wine bells are chiming. The harder my workout and the longer I garden the louder the chimes....

E.W. 09-17-2013 02:42 AM

I have lost and gained it back so many times. But once I lost 100lbs and kept it
off for a couple of years. I realy felt I had my weight problem cured ! I think I
finaly identified the magor trigers to my overeating and worked through some emotional issues I had about my weight. Starting back again this time seems a
lot easier.

itsmeshelly01 09-17-2013 05:11 AM

I'm so glad to see so many have the same issues and feel the same as i do. Thank you Fitterly for posting what i have wanted to but have felt humiliated i guess.
To have lost so much and to have been on these boards at one time giving advise and helping others for so long and now to be here after 8 yrs of maintaining. Its really hard.
I dont want to get any bigger. I cant let myself get any bigger.
i think the challenge is a great idea. We need to help each be accountable for real. Share menus and try to figure out how to eat again. I think i have lost how to eat or what works or something. I dont know. Maybe we need to get back to basics and do induction.
I'll be checking the board later for the challenge thread. I really look forward to all of us helping each other through this.
Thank you all!!!

Fitterly 09-17-2013 06:07 AM

Good morning, here is a link to the new challenge.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ni-thread.html

Would love to see you all there!

Shelly--"To have lost so much and to have been on these boards at one time giving advise and helping others for so long and now to be here after 8 yrs of maintaining. Its really hard.
I dont want to get any bigger. I cant let myself get any bigger." And how! Fighting the same demons of let down. Let's stop the let down and rebuild confidence. As they say, %##$ happens, but let's not turn it into a mountain of it, just keep it being a little pile. :)

E.W.--" I think I
finaly identified the magor trigers to my overeating and worked through some emotional issues I had about my weight. Starting back again this time seems a lot easier. " I agree I finally started owning up to triggers... but some of this is me doing some pride blocking here. And pride is a big ole pain in the you know what when it comes to wrestling demons.

ok I'm off to the other post-- the challenge area.