Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Breaking News: Atkins Hopes To Ride Paleo, Low-Carb Craze To A Comeback (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/812392-breaking-news-atkins-hopes-ride-paleo-low-carb-craze-comeback.html)

ravenrose 09-16-2013 03:50 PM

Breaking News: Atkins Hopes To Ride Paleo, Low-Carb Craze To A Comeback

I was just reading a news story about how the Atkins Nutritionals company is trying again to win customers, piggybacking on the success of Paleo and low carb diets.

Of course their shtick is selling people things: bars and shakes and supplements and such. Not to be confused with "Atkins" as the term is used on this board, meaning the way of eating refined over the decades by Dr. Atkins before his death about 10 years ago.

What do you think?

I wish they would just go away, which isn't going to happen any time soon, as long as the brand name has some value in the market. But it makes me sad that people who hear about successes such as people here have achieved end up thinking that the junk that company is selling is essential to the process.

I guess it just reminds me to make it clear when I tell people that I have lost so much weight "doing Atkins," that this is the more or less natural food version of low carbing and NOT the packaged food stuff the company of that name is selling.

Would be interested in other thoughts.

P.S. Of course they had to include this sentence! "This still doesn't mean you should load up on bacon, which is what many misguided Atkins followers did in the past." *sigh*

jmc305 09-16-2013 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravenrose (Post 16607088)
I was just reading a news story about how the Atkins Nutritionals company is trying again to win customers, piggybacking on the success of Paleo and low carb diets.

Of course their shtick is selling people things: bars and shakes and supplements and such. Not to be confused with "Atkins" as the term is used on this board, meaning the way of eating refined over the decades by Dr. Atkins before his death about 10 years ago.

What do you think?

I wish they would just go away, which isn't going to happen any time soon, as long as the brand name has some value in the market. But it makes me sad that people who hear about successes such as people here have achieved end up thinking that the junk that company is selling is essential to the process.

I guess it just reminds me to make it clear when I tell people that I have lost so much weight "doing Atkins," that this is the more or less natural food version of low carbing and NOT the packaged food stuff the company of that name is selling.

P.S. Of course they had to include this sentence! "This still doesn't mean you should load up on bacon, which is what many misguided Atkins followers did in the past." *sigh*

Except for the nitrates and sodium, I eat bacon with a clear conscience. Butter and bacon get SUCH a bad rap on this diet when it's actually the WHEAT and SUGAR that usually accompany them that's the real problem. Will the masses ever figure it out? If they do, will they care enough to change? :dunno:

As for the Atkins company, they care only about the money at this point. I couldn't tell you the last time I bought a shake or a bar of theirs. Their cookbooks are even worse. Everything calls for a product, a bake mix, or something weird that shouldn't be there. Dr. Atkins probably liked money as much as the next guy, but if he knew what they turned his diet into for the sake of profits, he'd be spinning in his grave, IMHO.

BABSY 09-17-2013 05:11 AM

To be honest, I would be very upset if they didn't have the products. I use the bars as a snack between breakfast and lunch when I need to keep my blood sugar from going to low while I am at work. I also love the frozen dinners. They help me with portion control and my blood sugar in check while at work.

girondet 09-17-2013 05:44 AM

Convenience foods are here to stay. There are packaged paleo foods available now too. I haven't personally seen or ordered them, heard about them though. What a contradiction!

clackley 09-17-2013 06:32 AM

I agree with you RR. It seems that selling books is not enough. The things they say are almost certainly a ploy for future repeat customers. I am getting to the point that I no longer want to associate myself with them. It is too bad. Atkins got me started but I have never used the `products`aside from the book. The program was good for getting me on the right path but the rungs and reintroducing some foods is counter to what I think is healthy. I would much rather identify myself as primal than Atkins at this point.

princessmommy 09-17-2013 06:43 AM

That's the majority of the reason I say Low Carb and Not Atkins! I've had so many people associate Atkins with me eatting the bars, shakes etc. I got irritated reading the back of the DRLCR book because almost Every recipe includes Atkins baking mix or some other product. The Only Atkins product I buy and it's pretty rarely is the Bars.

Mistizoom 09-17-2013 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BABSY (Post 16607687)
To be honest, I would be very upset if they didn't have the products. I use the bars as a snack between breakfast and lunch when I need to keep my blood sugar from going to low while I am at work. I also love the frozen dinners. They help me with portion control and my blood sugar in check while at work.

I agree. I'm not "doing Atkins" but I eat their products daily. I have a shake for breakfast and often an Atkins frozen dinner for lunch at work. I occasionally have an Atkins bar as well. I don't think we should judge one another - it's working for me and if someone else doesn't want to eat the Atkins products, fine. Don't eat them. But don't act like they are the devil when there are so many other sugar-filled convenience foods out there.

Mistizoom 09-17-2013 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmc305 (Post 16607585)
Except for the nitrates and sodium, I eat bacon with a clear conscience. Butter and bacon get SUCH a bad rap on this diet when it's actually the WHEAT and SUGAR that usually accompany them that's the real problem. Will the masses ever figure it out? If they do, will they care enough to change? :dunno:

What's wrong with nitrates and sodium?

Here's a quote from Chris Kresser's website (google: Chris Kresser The Nitrate and Nitrite Myth: Another Reason not to Fear Bacon):

Quote:

When it comes to food, vegetables are the primary source of nitrites. On average, about 93% of nitrites we get from food come from vegetables. It may shock you to learn that one serving of arugula, two servings of butter lettuce, and four servings of celery or beets all have more nitrite than 467 hot dogs. (2) And your own saliva has more nitrites than all of them! So before you eliminate cured meats from your diet, you might want to address your celery intake. And try not to swallow so frequently.
And we all know the sodium is bad thing is a myth, I hope.

GME 09-17-2013 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistizoom (Post 16607786)

Here's a quote from Chris Kresser's website (google: Chris Kresser The Nitrate and Nitrite Myth: Another Reason not to Fear Bacon):

I :heart: Chris Kresser.

clackley 09-17-2013 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistizoom (Post 16607782)
I agree. I'm not "doing Atkins" but I eat their products daily. I have a shake for breakfast and often an Atkins frozen dinner for lunch at work. I occasionally have an Atkins bar as well. I don't think we should judge one another - it's working for me and if someone else doesn't want to eat the Atkins products, fine. Don't eat them. But don't act like they are the devil when there are so many other sugar-filled convenience foods out there.

You are right about people using the products as it suits them and we should not judge based on that. If it works, then by all means use their products.

I think that some people experience undesirable side effects from some of those products due to the sugar alcohols. It can be highly problematic. It is good to know that some of these products are not good for some people in the same way that some of the advice will not work for some people. And they are certainly better than from where most of us came from.

Mistizoom 09-17-2013 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clackley (Post 16607817)
You are right about people using the products as it suits them and we should not judge based on that. If it works, then by all means use their products.

I think that some people experience undesirable side effects from some of those products due to the sugar alcohols. It can be highly problematic. It is good to know that some of these products are not good for some people in the same way that some of the advice will not work for some people. And they are certainly better than from where most of us came from.

Right. However, the only products that contain sugar alcohols are the Atkins bars. The Atkins shakes and Atkins frozen meals do not.

clackley 09-17-2013 08:15 AM

Good to know.

LJB 09-17-2013 08:20 AM

Paleo/Primal are big news these days due to their encouragement of eating whole natural foods and staying away from the shock schlock of Atkins Nutritionals. Even WW is on the bandwagon with it. I went to a meeting last Thursday and a lot of people were not using the points the way they used too in the past. Simply Filling method is becoming popular.

At least one good thing will come out of the Paleo/Primal. More women lifting free weights and less time on cardio. Cardio makes me eat and eat. Weightlifting balances me out.

skinni 09-17-2013 08:28 AM

Paleo/primal just sounds like Atkins to me... but, no one ever asks me my opinion, so no harm done. :)

I suppose if people do ask me what I eat, I can tell them it's a low sugar diet invented by a cardiologist, who was proven by NIH to have the healthiest diet out there....

Dottie 09-17-2013 08:50 AM

Quote:

But...
Is there is a difference between naturally occurring nitrates in food and those artificially added?
Comparing it to sugar that naturally occurs in fruits and veggies versus sugar being added to them in the canning process (or whatever, you get the idea).

Anonymousity 09-17-2013 08:57 AM

Quote:

Well to each their own. I can eat ALL of those foods and not get a migraine from the nitrates. A little cured meat and BAM, a migraine. Imho Kessler isn't making accurate comparisons coupled with overgeneralizations. A dangerous combination!

Portia 09-17-2013 08:58 AM

Well, this is a timely article for me, because I have recently come back to low carb and for the first time, I am not "calling" it Atkins, because I don't want to associate with any "brand" or corporation. I have used the Atkins book and it's great, but my "plan" now more closely follows Primal than anything else, but again, with the "brand" names - I'm staying away and calling it "low carb."

Thanks for the post!

Mistizoom 09-17-2013 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 16607975)
But...
Is there is a difference between naturally occurring nitrates in food and those artificially added?
Comparing it to sugar that naturally occurs in fruits and veggies versus sugar being added to them in the canning process (or whatever, you get the idea).

I don't know about the nitrates, but to my body sugar in fruits and sugar in a cookie looks and acts the same.

skinni 09-17-2013 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anonymousity (Post 16607989)
I can eat ALL of those foods and not get a migraine from the nitrates. A little cured meat and BAM, a migraine.

Wow! Are there any other preservatives in cured meat?

cleochatra 09-17-2013 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravenrose (Post 16607088)

What do you think?

I'm with you. I don't have time for the chemical soups repackaged and sold with a smile. I'm too busy enjoying my vegetables and fatty meats.

I think paleo (along with many, many other ways of eating) benefited a little bit from Atkins, too, so I guess all is fair in love and pork products.

I don't buy convenience foods, so I guess Atkins Corp. has to make a buck off of someone these days, just as paleo has to make a buck.

It's definitely not the company it used to be, but it's the same parent group who now owns Cinnabon, so that's about par for the course.

LJB 09-17-2013 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skinni (Post 16607941)
Paleo/primal just sounds like Atkins to me... but, no one ever asks me my opinion, so no harm done. :)

I suppose if people do ask me what I eat, I can tell them it's a low sugar diet invented by a cardiologist, who was proven by NIH to have the healthiest diet out there....

According to Robb Wolf and like-minded athletes, there is a big difference and that is called, "performance".

Dottie 09-17-2013 09:25 AM

It's banter though.
You can make any plan paleo/primal, or you can use the pre-made foods. Really it's individual choice.
The authors have to come up with a hook though, to make their plan seem different, or else they'd not sell books ;)

ravenrose 09-17-2013 09:37 AM

OK, I guess I should have been a little less harsh on the packaged foods. I'm sure they have a place in some people's WOEs...

but STILL, the way their brand name trades on the success of low carbing which in the majority of cases does not involve such things is misleading and potentially unfortunate for people drawn to try low carb.

pocahontas 09-17-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleochatra (Post 16608022)
I'm with you. I don't have time for the chemical soups repackaged and sold with a smile. I'm too busy enjoying my vegetables and fatty meats.

I think paleo (along with many, many other ways of eating) benefited a little bit from Atkins, too, so I guess all is fair in love and pork products.

I don't buy convenience foods, so I guess Atkins Corp. has to make a buck off of someone these days, just as paleo has to make a buck.

It's definitely not the company it used to be, but it's the same parent group who now owns Cinnabon, so that's about par for the course.

:goodpost: I think all of these plans have their convenience foods, it's up to the individual as to whether they will consume them or not. I choose not to but I still follow Atkin's principles from his 1972 book and always will.

cleochatra 09-17-2013 11:08 AM

I guess what I was kind of alluding to (and I didn't word it well) is that some (note I didn't say all, because at LCF we're pretty chill) paleo proponents make a big deal out of claiming Atkins (and other LC) fans eat a lot of packaged foods (which is intellectually dishonest). Truth is, people do what they do, and to act better than others based on what people use or don't use isn't anyone else's business. It's essentially useless to tear other folks down for living their lives and finding what works for them.

I am a fan of separation of church and plate, so to speak--and to me it feels sometimes that ways of eating become a little religious. I always tell people to do the best with what they have. If it's bacon, great. If it's processed foods, why not. It's what works for them.

That said, I am not a fan of processed foods sold to make a quick buck, because people assume those foods ARE the plan, and when they fail, they blame Dr. Atkins or the way of eating and not their own lack of education in the matter.

Processed foods should be something people use as needed, but they're not the entire diet. So, that said, as with Atkins over the years, I predict that a lot of folks will use the foods, will fail, and then will say how unhealthy and awful "those paleo/low-carb foods are" rather than picking up a book, reading a few lines, and knowing what the heck the plan is actually supposed to be.

Knowledge is power, and, unlike a lot of the products out there being pushed by companies like Atkins, it's free.

Dottie 09-17-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleochatra (Post 16608263)
I am a fan of separation of church and plate

:hyst:

Strawberry 09-17-2013 11:16 PM

Paleo and primal eating plans really emphasize unprocessed natural foods, with a huge emphasis on grass fed meat, wild fish, organic produce, eggs from organic free range chickens etc. I don't see how Atkins Nutritional's über-processed bars and shakes fits in with that philosophy at all!

Now the real Dr Atkins books about low carb are certainly closer in concept. However he did allow artificial sweeteners, jello, diet soda, etc since he was more focused on the metabolic effects of total carbs eaten rather than strictly how wholesome/organic/grassfed the source of the carbs was.

luckymuma 09-17-2013 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 16607975)
But...

Yes there most definitely is a difference! Although there are some companies that use naturally derived nitrates and nitrites in their cured meats, which are less processed. Any time you process something out of something it changes it, sometimes for the better ( think butter and cream!) and sometimes for the worse. I think of it like fruit juice...the juice is in the fruit and it's how it's meant to be consumed by those who can tolerate fruits...but once you juice it, it becomes bad for pretty much everyone except occasionally. I think the fact that people react to added nitrates and nitrites and not the vegetables they come from shows they are different.

Dottie 09-18-2013 04:52 AM

I can eat foods that naturally have MSG (tomatoes, chicken, beef, eggs, etc), but if I consume a product with added MSG, I get a headache, ankles and fingers swell, things like that.
So yeah, I think there has to be a difference in chemicals that occur naturally in foods, and the ones that are added to them in processing.

Punkin 09-18-2013 07:27 AM

In a way I don't mind the hype. Where I live we have "gluten free" all over the place. It is a bit crazy but because of the strong movement I am able to get other products I need to build a proper low carb diet, because I can't eat wheat either. It has helped me a lot. However I am only concerned that we might move so far towards packaged foods that it will become harder and harder to get "whole" foods. As supply and demand changes. I am already making trips to an actual dairy to buy raw cheese directly from them. I don't have a rapini farmer anywhere near me. Our produce section in our local grocery store is completely overrun with Kale. It crowds out the few heads of rapini which stresses me out because they are often out of it. It is one of the few "no carb" veggies, so very friendly for LCers.