Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2013, 08:17 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jseymour1591
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: August 16, 2013
Nervous about how ill eat on my trip!!!

In October I am going to Maryland to visit my sister, and I am so nervous about not being able to eat low carb!! I have done so good and haven't cheated since I started 5 weeks ago.... but I want to be able to try new things and not be the party pooper! Any suggestions for how I should handle this situation?

jseymour1591 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2013, 08:21 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/205/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Choosing to eat healthfully is not being a party pooper. Make special times about the people you are with and the events you are experiencing rather than the food. You can try new things, just make sure they are low carb.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:29 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
Choosing to eat healthfully is not being a party pooper. Make special times about the people you are with and the events you are experiencing rather than the food. You can try new things, just make sure they are low carb.
Thanks. I am still pretty new on low carb and I havent been out to eat much since I started so I am getting kind of nervous! But like you said it's not about the food its about who I am with
Old 09-16-2013, 08:30 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MissBeeps
Does your sister know you're eating low carb and does she understand what that really means? If not, you have a few weeks to have some good conversations with her about what you CAN eat. It'll make it a lot easier for her as a hostess and well as for you if it's not a surprise. Also, pack your own snacks or go to a grocery store when you get there and get some so you always have "legal" foods. If you don't make a big deal of it, it won't be a big deal but there's no reason you can't take care of yourself properly on a vacation- I'm sure your family members want you to be healthy and happy!

If there are restaurants she's going to want to take you to, ask her what they are ahead of time. Most restaurants have menus online so you can figure out what works for you ahead of time- it makes eating out much easier.
MissBeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:37 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Missbeeps, yes she knows I am doing low carb and is proud of me for doing it and sticking with it! She has done it off and on so she knows what I can and cannot eat! I will have to tell her that she needs to stock her fridge low carb lol
Old 09-16-2013, 08:38 AM   #6
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Almost 4 yrs now of eating low carb and every time there is a new situation, a bit of planning is what makes it successful.

I would be frank with your sister and tell her you are not able to eat sugar, flour, rice, beans, etc and because you have special dietary needs, you would like to contribute to the menus with some of your foods. You have then opened the door to a conversation and this is a good start.

I was at a party the other night and had someone who was very anxious for me to try their sugary fruit dish and I said I may try some later but the person urged me to have it right away because it was soooo good that there may be none left. A person that happens to know that I do low carb piped in and said I was diabetic and that resoved that issue. Funny cause one of the reasons I eat the way I do so I won`t become diabetic!!!

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:39 AM   #7
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I see you can talk with your sister and that should make it really easy. Just make sure she knows that your aim is to stay low carb during your visit.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:44 AM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CurlsNCuffs
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2, 2003
eh, I don't worry about those kinds of things.

It is the way I eat. Meat, fish, seafood and veggies.

I don't stress about my food, just like I don't stress about brushing my teeth when I go to visit someone.

PS: I'm in MD, we have low carb food - enjoy the seafood!
CurlsNCuffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:45 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
And no matter how much you 'think' people understand low carb...many times they don't...or their idea of low carb is actually high. Soooo, what to do? Don't make your WOE someone else's responsibility...which means planning ahead.

When we go to visit my son and his family, I usually make sure they have something I can make for the first breakfast (since we usually get in late at night) such as eggs and cheese, and then after breakfast I head out to the grocery store for the other things I need. When we eat out, it's at places where I can find low carb fare (in Florida...easy...seafood!). If someone else is cooking, I'm not shy about asking what's on the menu and then either eating beforehand or just eating what I can. I've been known to have BPC before going to someone's home, knowing there wouldn't be enough fat and/or the type of food I could eat and the BPC staves off hunger for me.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:51 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
I pack a litlle duffle of my food essentials and it doesn't seem to offend anyone. Sometime I consider it a challange to myself to try and lose a few pounds while on vaca because I don't eat all the stuff that is available...I will however allow for trying things I have never experienced...life is to short to not experience a bite of local cuisine. Usually this means trying a bite of someone elses treat so I don't have a whole portion in my hands. good luck and have fun with the family.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:29 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LAGril
Stats: 235/163/130
WOE: strict old school Atkins
Start Date: May 17, 2009
One Maryland-related tip. Crabcakes are made with bread or cracker crumbs. Enjoy the whole, fresh seafood, but steer clear of the crabcakes. Mostly, have a great trip and enjoy spending time with your sister.
LAGril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:39 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Thanks everyone! I am really excited to go she just moved there with her husband about a year ago and I have not got to visit yet! I talked to her yesterday and she said when I am there she will eat low carb with me so nothing will tempt me lol!
Old 09-17-2013, 03:22 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: trishthedish
Stats: 26/18/14
WOE: LC
Start Date: February 28, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jseymour1591 View Post
Thanks everyone! I am really excited to go she just moved there with her husband about a year ago and I have not got to visit yet! I talked to her yesterday and she said when I am there she will eat low carb with me so nothing will tempt me lol!
Sounds like you have a lovely sister.
trishthedish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:25 PM   #14
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LowCarbRachel
Stats: size 10/size 6-8/size 6
WOE: Gluten Free/Grain Free
Start Date: January 2013
What a wonderful sister!
LowCarbRachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:51 PM   #15
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jseymour1591 View Post
In October I am going to Maryland to visit my sister, and I am so nervous about not being able to eat low carb!! I have done so good and haven't cheated since I started 5 weeks ago.... but I want to be able to try new things and not be the party pooper! Any suggestions for how I should handle this situation?

Medical conditions trump all else. Let her know in advance that you have a crazy-long list of food allergies and intolerances and will have to bring some food along so you don't inconvenience her. Also ask if it's okay if you prepare food while there, since you'd be using her kitchen if you're staying with her. Apologize and tell her you want to see her, but you also have to be super careful or you're going to be super sick on the trip.

She'll totally understand!
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote