Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2013, 02:49 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Really double check your facts...

This morning I was researching shiritaki noodles online and found one brand stating that their servings were 5 carbs per cup! I have been counting the brand I buy as 1 carb per cup. That is a big difference, it is possible they have been processed differently but I have found other discrepencies in the nutritional information companies list on their packaging. Including some where they have already subtracted the fibre! This matters when adding up your total carbs.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2013, 06:56 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
I think the tofu shirataki has more carbs. I avoid those because I prefer to avoid soy when possible. I buy only the ones that are pure glucomannan, such as Miracle Noodles or Miracle Rice.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:54 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: adiasmc1
Stats: 5'1" - 193/130
WOE: Weight Watchers
It's true, the tofu ones do have more carbs and they don't always say tofu before them on package, you have to look at them. Most of the ones that are just pure glucomannan have 0 to 1 carb, but you are right, we should always double check, especially if it is a new product for someone. Better to be safe than sorry.
adiasmc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:27 AM   #4
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
I think the tofu shirataki has more carbs. I avoid those because I prefer to avoid soy when possible. I buy only the ones that are pure glucomannan, such as Miracle Noodles or Miracle Rice.
Me too. They are 100% fibre. The ones with tofu have a slightly different mouth feel but not worth it in my opinion.

Products that have already deducted the carbohydrates are likely from Europe where that is the common practice. However, if sold in Canada, they should comply with the Canadian method and either have the info as done here or a label over the original with the information in the proper way. I only come across this nutritional labeling in Europe.

Last edited by clackley; 09-16-2013 at 11:39 AM..
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote