Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2013, 07:11 AM   #1
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/?/?
WOE: lc
Whey protein shakes aid in fat loss?

Volek's blog has a couple of articles claiming that whey protein increased fat loss. Anyone found this to be true?

Last edited by jeaniem; 09-14-2013 at 07:18 AM..
jeaniem is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2013, 07:12 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: spoiltmomof2
Stats: 230/180/138
WOE: Lap Band/LC
Can you link the article?
spoiltmomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:18 AM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

It has ads for things but if you google it is easy to find.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:20 AM   #4
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I think I may have found it on a site that sells nutrition products. Here is what I found...

Quote:
Whey protein provides powerful benefits
by Jeff S. Volek, Ph.D., R.D.
Once regarded as a waste product of cheese-making, whey protein is now highly valued. A growing body of work has associated whey protein with improved body composition and a host of other health benefits.
Compared to other proteins, the most notable difference of whey is its higher percentage of essential amino acids (the ones your body does not make). Specifically, whey is the richest source of the amino acid leucine that sparks muscle protein synthesis. Researchers have discovered that when leucine levels in the blood are increased, this is a strong signal to increase the synthesis of muscle proteins. Studies have shown that whey protein consumed before or after exercise rapidly increases the rate of muscle protein synthesis.

Whey is absorbed quickly, and gram for gram contains more leucine than other protein sources. Regular consumption of whey is ideal for maintaining muscle during weight loss and muscle building when paired with exercise.

Whey reduces body fat
For example, researchers at the University of Illinois reported that women who followed diets consisting of 1,400 kcal per day and consumed 25 grams of whey protein twice daily for 6 months lost almost twice as much body weight (-8% versus -4.1%) as a group who consumed 25 grams of carbs (maltodextrin) twice daily.

In order to examine changes in the composition of the thigh area of their legs in greater detail, magnetic resonance imaging showed a greater amount of muscle tissue present and less fat in the whey group.

Should you add simple carbs to whey?
Unless you specifically want to gain weight, the answer is most likely no. The problem with consuming simple carbs with protein is that insulin levels will spike in your blood. Overstimulation of insulin by fast-acting carbs can have a more insidious effect of diverting carbs into fat storage, which is obviously not helpful with promoting favorable changes in body composition. Studies have also shown that spiking insulin levels with fast acting carbs during recovery may diminish the beneficial effects of exercise on insulin sensitivity and other health markers. There is also no good reason to spike insulin for purposes of stimulating muscle protein synthesis.

For example, two recent studies both reported that when adequate protein is provided after exercise, adding insulin-stimulating carbohydrates does not augment the response further. Thus, if you want to preserve or build muscle and gain the most benefit for fat loss and metabolic health, avoid adding simple carbs to whey protein. However, adding simple or complex carbs would be fine if you’re trying to gain weight or replenish glycogen stores after endurance-type activities.

Whey has antioxidant effects
Exercise causes an increase in the generation of reactive oxygen species, also known as free radicals, which can damage cells and even our DNA. But our body has defense systems in place to minimize free radical damage. Whey protein helps build up our natural defense systems.

For example, whey is a rich source of the amino acid cysteine (3-4 times higher than soy). Cysteine is needed to make glutathione (GSH), one of the most important antioxidant defense systems in cells. Low levels of GSH contribute to excessive oxidative stress, which can impair recovery. Supplementation with whey protein is an effective cysteine delivery vehicle. Increased GSH translates into better antioxidant capacity, reduced oxidative stress and increased exercise performance.

Whey supports immune health
Study reviews addressing the immunoregulatory activities of whey in animals and humans have revealed widespread immunotropic functions that could be attributed to a variety of naturally occurring whey fractions such as lactoferrin, glutamine, immunoglobulins, and other peptides (e.g., lysozome, beta-lactoglobulin and alpha-lactalbumin). Lactoferrin is an iron-binding glycoprotein with known immunological functions that has been shown to be absorbed intact in adult humans. Its anti-microbial activity is due to its ability to chelate iron, an essential element for many microorganisms. This same property may contribute to its ability to reduce oxidative stress. In addition, lactoferrin is known to activate natural killer cells and neutrophils.

Futher, whey contains immunoglobulins andis rich in the amino acid glutamine. During intense exercise, immunoglobulin and glutamine stores can be depleted. Therefore, resupplying your body with both using whey protein helps keep your immune system strong.

Blood pressure benefits
Several peptides from whey protein have been shown to possess hypotensive properties. The most likely mechanism for this blood pressure-lowering effect is inhibition of angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) activity because milk has been shown to be a rich source of ACE inhibitory peptides. Inhibition of ACE prevents the conversion of angiotensin I to angiotensin II, a potent vasoconstrictor. Whey derived peptides showing ACE inhibitory effects are released during normal digestion in the gastrointestinal tract by proteases. In one study, supplementation with a hydrolyzed whey (20 grams per day) reduced systolic and diastolic blood pressure in subjects with mild hypertension. In addition, whey reduced LDL cholesterol and C-reactive protein.

Whey concentrate vs. isolate?
The extensive research on whey suggests that its benefits extend beyond its role in building muscle anabolism to other aspects of exercise recovery, performance and health. There are many whey products available. You may see products labeled as whey isolate or whey concentrate. Isolates are more pure than concentrates, meaning the small amounts of other non-protein components (lipids, lactose, etc.) have been removed. For example, whey isolate is about 90% protein and contains virtually no lactose or fat compared to whey concentrate which is 80% protein. This is a really small difference, and it’s important to point out that the high quality proteins and peptides present in whey are similar in both isolates and concentrates.

How much and when to take?
Studies have examined a wide range of doses. More is not necessarily better. It appears about 20-25 grams of protein maximizes the increase in protein synthesis in young healthy people, and older individuals may benefit from up to 40 grams at a time since their response to protein is blunted compared to younger people. Excessive intakes higher than these amounts results in most of the protein being used as fuel. As far as timing, if muscle building is a goal, consume 20-25 grams immediately after exercise. You may also consider consuming a smaller dose before exercise to take advantage of greater blood flow to active muscles, and thus delivery of amino acids to muscle. For weight loss, whey protein can serve as a good base for a meal replacement or a snack between meals.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:26 AM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!

I may try this again I know in the past I have enjoyed the whey shakes but always felt like they were sub par nutritionally. I am very interested in lowering my BP as well. I am thinking that mct oil would blend in well.

Last edited by jeaniem; 09-14-2013 at 07:30 AM..
Old 09-15-2013, 08:06 AM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

I did the one whey serving yesterday, just mixed a scoop in with my after dinner iced coffee. Not sure if I will go for the two servings or not and am concerned about how to fit them in- cut back on other protein foods
Old 09-15-2013, 08:52 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: spoiltmomof2
Stats: 230/180/138
WOE: Lap Band/LC
I think I'll try adding in one serving after exercise everyday. It can't hurt and might help.
spoiltmomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:38 AM   #8
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
It is pretty difficult to claim any one thing makes a difference in fat loss. It is all about doing many things that work together, IMO.

That said, I have never found a good quality whey protein powder to cause any problems with fat loss. I have often incorporated it in my daily diet (specific nutrition plans even call for it to break stalls!) with great fat loss success. But I probably would have done just as well w/o it. It also gives me a sweet treat that I would not otherwise have.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:23 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
In the study quoted they compared adding 50 g whey protein a day vs. adding 50 g carbs in the form of malodextrin to the subjects' diets. That's comparing apples to oranges. It doesn't say whey protein is better than other types of protein for fat loss.

Last edited by Mistizoom; 09-15-2013 at 10:25 AM..
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
In the study quoted they compared adding 50 g whey protein a day vs. adding 50 g carbs in the form of malodextrin to the subjects' diets. That's comparing apples to oranges. It doesn't say whey protein is better than other types of protein for fat loss.
lol... So they are saying adding protein is more likely to lead to faat loss than sugar? Well, tell us something we didn't already know!

There are many studies on the benefits of whey protein & most as better.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:59 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kaillean
Stats: 209.5/199/165
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restart: October 17, 2014
I enjoyed a Designer Whey protein shake nearly everyday on my last go around and lost very well. However I chalked it up more to the half cup of full fat yogurt I also put in it. Calcium, specifically from dairy, has been shown in several studies to promote weight loss.
Kaillean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:36 PM   #12
Big Yapper!!!!

Volek is well respected, but all his articles seem to support the things being sold there.
Not necessarily a bad thing but it does make me wonder if there is some compensation??
Old 09-15-2013, 07:45 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
Volek is well respected, but all his articles seem to support the things being sold there.
Not necessarily a bad thing but it does make me wonder if there is some compensation??
Jeff Volek, PhD, RD, is a professor at the University of Connecticut, see Neag School of Education - Directory. The only thing I see for sale on his and Phinney's website are their books, The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living and The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living Performance. His research is being quoted on other sites that sell nutritional products, but as far as I can tell he does not own these sites. If he did so, he would need to disclose those as conflicts of interest in his research papers.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:52 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MissBeeps
Quote:
I enjoyed a Designer Whey protein shake nearly everyday on my last go around and lost very well. However I chalked it up more to the half cup of full fat yogurt I also put in it. Calcium, specifically from dairy, has been shown in several studies to promote weight loss.
I make kefir from whole milk and some heavy whipping cream and always stir any whey that separates back in, that should cover me! And I'm getting my probiotics in!
MissBeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:37 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jijane21
Stats: 195/169/130
WOE: LC
Start Date: Latest start Jul 2013
From my personal experience with supplemental whey, I would say that it does not promote weight loss. It actually promotes weight gain. I used it to gain muscle mass. but unfortunately I also gained fat mass. Also, I stopped using whey due to heavy metal contamination issues.
jijane21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:26 AM   #16
Big Yapper!!!!

I have never gained using them but my DH did because he used the sweetened versions.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:31 AM   #17
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
My experience with whey protein is that it makes me hungry. I was using it in conjunction with egg and hwc as a shake and thought this was odd. When I did a little reading on whey protein, I learned that is known to be insulinogenic which means it stimulates insulin. In my case, this caused hunger. I have heard others report the same.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:57 AM   #18
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
Jeff Volek, PhD, RD, is a professor at the University of Connecticut, see Neag School of Education - Directory. The only thing I see for sale on his and Phinney's website are their books, The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living and The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living Performance. His research is being quoted on other sites that sell nutritional products, but as far as I can tell he does not own these sites. If he did so, he would need to disclose those as conflicts of interest in his research papers.
Probably a dumb question but do these sites have to have his permission to publish his research papers?
Old 09-16-2013, 10:26 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

ETA: I found a couple of peer-reviewed articles with Jeff Volek as an author published in 2013, and both of them stated there were no conflicts of interest. One was on therapeutic uses of very-low-carbohydrate (ketogenic) diets, and the other was on obesity and growth hormone. Haven't found a recent article where he researched supplement use, if I find something I will update. I work at a university, so I have free access to these articles.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:48 AM   #20
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks Mistizoom. I am now leery of the whey and am now thinking that maybe Volek wouldn't suggest it's use while eating a low carb diet??
Old 09-16-2013, 11:37 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Thanks Mistizoom. I am now leery of the whey and am now thinking that maybe Volek wouldn't suggest it's use while eating a low carb diet??
Well that's the thing. If you read original research articles you will see most of the people are eating a standard high carb diet. So the question is, are the results relevant to those eating a low carb diet or not? I'm not sure if Phinney and Volek have weighed in on that particular question or not.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:52 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shapeup1
WOE: Lots of protein
Quote:
Volek's blog has a couple of articles claiming that whey protein increased fat loss. Anyone found this to be true?
Not true for me, just an easy way to down protein...
shapeup1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:52 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
I lost weight more easily when I had a Jay Robb whey protein shake for lunch. I couldn't have it for breakfast because when I had it on a completely empty stomach it gave me a stomach ache. Having it for my second meal of the day did not result in a stomach ache. Strange, I know.
Emily-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:32 AM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
My experience with whey protein is that it makes me hungry. I was using it in conjunction with egg and hwc as a shake and thought this was odd. When I did a little reading on whey protein, I learned that is known to be insulinogenic which means it stimulates insulin. In my case, this caused hunger. I have heard others report the same.
My experience as well. I read up on it after trying Eades Middle Aged Middle book plan. Ugh!!!!

Whey worked for me in the beginning when I was very heavy. Now it just makes me hungry. I am sure it is better than typical carb eating but it is not better than using unprocessed foods.
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:53 PM   #25
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I've been trying to get more protein lately, so I'm following this thread with interest.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:29 PM   #26

I like it best in the evening. I've never experienced increased hunger after eating protein powder but I always have healthy fats added with it in my shakes or whatever.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:54 PM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Whey protein shakes fill me up for a good 3-4 hours at least. We have them for breakfast sometimes. If I had one in the afternoon, I wouldn't want to eat later, unless it was much later.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:43 AM   #28
Random WIT

Gallery: stews
Stats: 240/181/135
Start Date: restarted 4/5/14 @223.8 lbs.
I have one for breakfast (mixed with almond milk) and a pre made muscle milk light at work at break time. it gets me through my day until after work when I can sit down and enjoy a real meal.
stews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:31 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kaillean
Stats: 209.5/199/165
Start Date: Restart: October 17, 2014
I had a protein shake for bkfst almost every day the last time I did Atkins. I wasn't hungry. But I had mine with 3 strips of bacon and I used full fat yogurt. So that probably helped.
Kaillean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:21 PM   #30
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CurlsNCuffs
Start Date: April 2, 2003
I like Jay Robb. But, it gives me gas.
CurlsNCuffs is offline   Reply With Quote