LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2013, 04:30 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JennyBell
Stats: 269/253.4/165
WOE: High Fat Low Carb
Start Date: 08-26-13
End of Week 3 and NO results. Very frustrated

This week has been very frustrating for me. I am in ketosis, and have been for probably 1.5 weeks.

I feel that this week I have ate better than the first week, and yet the first week I lost 8 pounds and this week I have gained .2. And no, its not inches instead of pounds coming off. I anticipated the weightloss to stall at some point, but I have over 100 pounds to lose and it doesn't make sense that it is happening in week 3.

I am only eating 3 meals now, I am not hungry in between and there is no snacking. Hunger wise, I feel great. Otherwise, I have had to deal with sinus pressure, headache, very tired, lack of motivation, etc.

I don't understand what I am doing wrong, or if this is normal as my body adjusts.

Can anybody relate, and if so, what did you do mentally to get past this?

I don't feel like quitting, but I want to see the numbers on the scale show my effort.

I am going to attempt to try and calculate every single thing I'm eating, although I find it rather difficult when I make things like soup (which I made for lunch today) Does anybody have any suggestions on this too? In past diets, I would measure out the entire pot of soup, and then split it up into serving sizes.

Thank you all for your help.

Very frustrated,
Jenny
JennyBell is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2013, 05:08 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BulldogMom
Stats: 231/ 185.8 / 135
WOE: modified Atkins
Start Date: April 2013
Could you be eating something that is stalling you? For me its cheese and salty foods like pork rinds, pepperoni and hot dogs. I stick to a few foods that I know are safe and just rotate around those when I'm not losing anything. But I know that sometimes my body will gain and lose the same pound for a while before it decides to drop that pound for good. It seems to be a common problem for a lot of people, especially after seeing some really good losses. Have you thought about joining one of the monthly challenges? You can see what others are going through and get daily support. We have a good one going in the Atkins Induction forum. I know you're frustrated, as I have been too at times. Hang in there and you will start losing again.
BulldogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:21 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/170/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2, 2012
Jenny, an eight pound weight loss in one week is huge and your body is probably trying to catch up and get used to it. I don't think you have hit a major stall -- my guess is that this is temporary. I also agree with what Bulldog Mom said -- something things like too much cheese, cream or artificial sweeteners can slow down weight loss a bit. You are doing really well though and you seem to be feeling great so keep that in mind before you quit.

Wishing you the best of luck!
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:39 AM   #4
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Congratulations on your loss. Eight lbs. is fantastic. You talk about feeling headachy and fatigued and this is a sign that you need more salt and maybe potassium. You might want to consider bone broth to allevieate those symptoms of becoming keto adapted.

As for the lack of weight loss - it is quite common (it seems from reading this board of a long period of time) that this happens. It has been called 'post induction stall'. It is not a true stall but rather an adjustment phase.

If you stick to your plan, the weight will begin to come again. Try not to do a bunch of adjustments at this point because it make life more restrictive in the long run than it needs to be. Reread your plan and be sure you are following it and then if in another 3 wks. you have still not lost, then look to making some adjustments.

Btw, I think it is really good to keep a daily record of weight in order to see the long term trends.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:27 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
Can you post a typical day's menu?
suzanneyea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:34 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: January 2010
I'm going to create a macro...

You will not lose every day. You will not even lose every week. To expect anything else is unrealistic.

Your weight loss chart will probably look a bit like the waves on the ocean (up and down) but, over time, will show a downward slant.

8 lbs in 3 weeks (even if you lost them all the first week) is phenomenal progress. Just keep at it.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:48 AM   #7

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
But, I understand the posters concerns. If you have over a hundred pounds to lose, it should come off the first few weeks.
suzanneyea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:53 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanneyea View Post
But, I understand the posters concerns. If you have over a hundred pounds to lose, it should come off the first few weeks.
Not necessarily. There are a number of people in this forum who I've watched over the last few years who struggled with every pound...even when doing everything right and weighing over 100 pounds extra.

If she had finished 3 weeks and hadn't lost anything, then I'd agree...but she's lost 8 lbs. Doesn't matter that it was all in the first week. The reality is that she's lost 8 lbs over a 3 week period.

This isn't a speed race. It's all about endurance.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:23 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Thank you all for your input. It is very helpful.

Yesterday's meals =
2 eggs, 1/2 avocado, leftover chicken chopped and sautéed in butter
Small piece of lc meatloaf and romaine lettuce salad with blue cheese dressing
Sautéed in butter sweet Pea pods, 2 natural nitrate free beef hot dogs and a little yellow mustard
Old 09-14-2013, 09:30 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/163.0/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
Jenny, no worries. I stalled in week 3 too and was ready to quit. But if you wait it out, and continue to work the plan, it WILL work for you. With 150 pounds to lose, I really expected to drop BIG numbers in the first few weeks, but it just didn't happen. Keep your eating clean, and stay on plan and it will work.

Also, we just had a talk about this on another thread, but for a lot of us, whenever we eat hot dogs, we see a gain the next day because they cause us to retain water. They tend to be high in sodium.

Started Induction 2/22/13 at 300.6
Mini Goals ~
250 ~ Weight I need to be under to Zip Line in Vegas with my daughter! Made it! 6/4/13
240 ~ Weight I need to be under to go SkyDiving with my niece! Made It!!
225 ~ Halfway There. 75 Down, 75 To Go! MADE IT! In just under 6 months!
199 ~ Onderland Here I Come! Made It!! 11/7/13
166 ~ No Longer Obese - Made it 3/14/14
MtherGoos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:04 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I agree with previous posters . . . take a deep breath, focus and carry on.
The loss will come.
You might want to rethink the sweet peas, if by that you mean what I would call sugar pod. I think they are excluded from Atkins induction acceptable veggies. Even regular shelled peas are towards to higher carb veggie spectrum. You could swtch to something lower carb like green beans, various greens and cabbages, for example.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:36 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCWizard
Stats: No More Scale
WOE: No Sugar Added & Persistence
I started out at the same weight as you a couple of times and always stalled out after 8 to 10 lb loss. Sometimes I would give up. I've finally gotten rid of my scale. Stick to plan and don't obsess over the numbers, it will come off!
LCWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:42 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Josh1234
FWIW, I find that my pounds came off in distinct steps. For about two weeks I would lose 3-5 pounds total, then stall for two-three weeks. Then another two week period of losing 3-5 pounds. Wash, rinse and repeat. It seems my body needed some time to adapt to the new weight and then continue on. OK, I did cause my own problem one time when I just went on a fat pig-out for a week or two. Even with fewer carbs, eating a bunch more calories of fat than the body needs or wants is not a good idea.

And you women are harder on yourselves than we men are. I no longer talk about my new WOE or how much I have lost with female friends unless they bring it up first.

Last edited by Josh1234; 09-14-2013 at 10:47 AM..
Josh1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:30 AM   #14
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
It is perfectly normal. You lost 8 lbs very quickly - that is considered an excellent loss for four weeks so you are still doing great. Congrats on your success!

As already mentioned, weight loss is not linear & you won't see the scale drop every day or every week. This is regardless of one's starting weight & the amount one needs to lose.

The scale does not measure fat loss and fluctuates a lot by nature. This is normal & it is best for one's emotional health to recognize this fact. Don't let the number on the scale rule your emotions. If you are doing all the right things the fat will come off, you'll lose inches, and the scale will eventually drop.
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint

Last edited by DiamondDeb; 09-14-2013 at 11:32 AM..
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:41 AM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: wncsohn
One additional thing .. I didn't see you mention it or anyone else so here goes ...

Drink lots and lots of water! It truly does help!

A minimum of 8 - 8 oz glasses a day. Personally, I drink my morning coffee then it's pretty much water for the remainder of the day.
wncsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:48 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

I understand what everyone is saying. My sister whom is on one of those diets you pay for medi something, has lost 40 pounds of her 50 in less than 4 months with no stall weeks at all. I know this diet is healthier, but it's definitely hard not to compare.

I have been drinking way more water than I used to and my salt I take is good.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyBell View Post
I understand what everyone is saying. My sister whom is on one of those diets you pay for medi something, has lost 40 pounds of her 50 in less than 4 months with no stall weeks at all. I know this diet is healthier, but it's definitely hard not to compare.

I have been drinking way more water than I used to and my salt I take is good.
Keep doing what you are doing.

Do not ever compare yourself to someone else. Not dieting, not working out, etc. Even following the same nutrition plan we are all different & our results are different. Faster is not better. It is different.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:03 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MissBeeps
When it doubt, track every bite you put in your mouth. While calories do count it isn't just about calories (though too few can stall loss as well as too many.) Tracking makes sure you have your macros at the correct amounts. Too much protein stalls some folks, too much fat for others. Carb creep?

I know it can be a pain for foods you make yourself (I don't eat any processed or packaged food so I truly sympathize,) but if you use an online tracker that allows you to create custom foods you only have to figure it out and enter them once and then can easily add it any time you eat it.

Without solid information to work from anyone's guess is.... a guess... pure speculation. The sooner you're working off of solid accurate information the sooner you can make informed decisions about your eating. Knowing exactly where you stand is a GOOD, POWERFUL thing.
MissBeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:38 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BulldogMom
Stats: 231/ 185.8 / 135
WOE: modified Atkins
Start Date: April 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtherGoos View Post
Also, we just had a talk about this on another thread, but for a lot of us, whenever we eat hot dogs, we see a gain the next day because they cause us to retain water. They tend to be high in sodium.
I was just going to mention the hot dogs. I only ate one and it did affect my weight the next morning.
BulldogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:49 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luckymuma
Stats: 96kg ( 211) start weight GOAL weight 74kg(163)
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 01 Aug 2013
I hear you! Week three for me saw a gain too, and a much slower loss. So I didn't weigh for two weeks, I upped my fat, kept my carbs super low (15-21g/day) and reigned back the protein...2w later total loss ( 5w low carb) was 11lbs . I'm a slow looser I think, nothing spectacular here...but it is happening...just slower than I read about. While weightloss is important for me...the health benefits I FEEL are also awesome. Keep going, give it a while...what have you got to lose?
luckymuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:04 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/206/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Any chance it is around that TOM? If so, that could be a reason the scale isn't moving.
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:23 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nspeedracer
Stats: 149/137.4/115 5'3''0
Are you taking any rx meds?
nspeedracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:38 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dirty Harriet
Stats: 425/200/190 @ 5'7" size 14/16, age 55 (-235#)
WOE: 40Gm carbs/day + WLS
Start Date: 8/11/2005 lap band; maintaining since 7/4/08!!!
TRUE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aomiel View Post
Not necessarily. There are a number of people in this forum who I've watched over the last few years who struggled with every pound...even when doing everything right and weighing over 100 pounds extra.

If she had finished 3 weeks and hadn't lost anything, then I'd agree...but she's lost 8 lbs. Doesn't matter that it was all in the first week. The reality is that she's lost 8 lbs over a 3 week period.

This isn't a speed race. It's all about endurance.
Excellent post, as your body is going to do what it needs to do, to take care of itself. You may wish to keep a food diary for a couple of weeks, to keep track of things; but for most of us, we eat so little, that we can recall every morsel eaten! Also, don't forget about hormonal/salt/eating out/activity levels....
Dirty Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:07 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Anonymousity
Stats: 181.8/178.4/135 5'6" (highest wt. 215)
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: March 28, 2014 (restart)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
Any chance it is around that TOM? If so, that could be a reason the scale isn't moving.
I had no losses for two weeks simply because of the timing. Then today I woke up three pounds lighter than the day before which has never happened to me before, regardless of the time of the month. I should be able to continue losing for the next few weeks until I hit another pause.
Anonymousity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:02 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
The scale is such a bad way to measure. Let me give you an example.

This is my weight for the last 3 Sundays: 147, 147, 147.1.

You would say I've gained 0.1 lbs, right? Okay, yes I have.

But I weigh daily and use a weekly average weight to track my loses. Other people might use rolling averages over a few days, mine is just a straight weekly average.

So my weekly averages were 147.4, 146.7, 146.5.

I'm having lower weights during the week that makes my averages lower, and even though I haven't lost a lot of weight the past few weeks, I have lost a pound, and as long as that number goes down, or some body measurements go down....all is good.

So either chuck the scale or find a way to track that doesn't make you so upset. If you followed the diet, you didn't gain anything, you are just retaining some fluids, there's food in your gut (be serious, there's always food in the gut) and focus on the big picture.

You'll probably be down 3-4 lbs next week, or you will have been, and the loss is being hidden once again by some fluid retention.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:44 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

You all are so helpful. Even though I was frustrated beyond belief yesterday and was just all in all having a hard time emotionally, I did not go off of the plan and stuck with it with no hesitation. To me, that is probably one of the biggest achievements I have had in a long time. "Old me" would have ate the box of my son's popsicles in one sitting.

With all of that being said, I woke up to a 1 pound loss this morning. It is just enough to reassure me and keep me moving forward.

I appreciate everyone's input, as your experience is very helpful.

Thank you!
Old 09-15-2013, 09:27 AM   #27

If you are going to weigh I highly recommend tracking on a graph - there are many free ones online. You'll be able to see the downward trend. The daily fluctuations will always go up & down but the graph will show the loss over time.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:38 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Thanks DiamondDeb. I was just thinking this morning of making an excel spreadsheet and graphing my progress. Sounds like a good project for this evening
Old 09-15-2013, 03:58 PM   #29

Gallery: CurlsNCuffs
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2, 2003
Good luck! You are beautiful, love your picture!
CurlsNCuffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:18 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 84k
Stats: 280 > 205.2 > 200
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 7/5/2013
Great advice from everyone.
Key points, if nothing has changed from week 1 to now which could have caused this, assume your body is adapting and you'll be back on track soon.
In 2 weeks if your weight is the same, then we can look at your diet more closely
84k is offline   Reply With Quote