Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2013, 09:10 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Stella_g
Stats: 380(day I gave birth)/367 (non preg hw)/325cw/190
WOE: Atkins-- whole foods, minimal AS
Start Date: 5/14/2013
Does LC eating impair carb metabolism? (kinda long)

I've been thinking about something that happened while I was pregnant (my baby is almost 1) and wanted to run it by y'all (but I imagine it has implications for the non-pregnant too...)

I took the 1 hour glucose tolerance test (gtt) but not until I was almost 8 months pregnant because I was planning a home birth and thus receiving care from my midwives and not in a hospital/clinic. I went to the clinic for something else and of course since I am fat they wanted to do the GTT. At 1 hour my blood glucose was 130, which is the cutoff for doing the 3 hour test. I am Latina and apparently this (along w/ high BMI) gives me a higher than 'normal' risk of gestational diabetes (GDM) and the clientele at this clinic is also primarily Latin@ so the doc told me that they have a slightly more restrictive protocol than other places so that they are sure to catch all the cases of GDM.

So they scheduled me for the 3 hour test and I went out and bought a blood glucose meter, did some research, and severely restricted my carb intake (under 50) for the next week leading up to my 3 hour GTT (I had already been eating very well- super high protein, leafy greens, veggies and good fats, I bet I was under 125g Carbs per day for most of my pregnancy). As I monitored my blood sugars on this lower carb diet they were good: fasting under 100, post-prandials under 125.

If you have been 8 months pregnant you will understand that fasting for 12 hours is not comfortable or reflective of the way your system normally operates-- my blood glucose readings at 1, 2, and 3 hours were 220, 120, 70. So it went really high, stabilized, and then crashed. Although the diagnostic criteria for GDM are 2 readings out of the 3 above 130, they diagnosed me with GDM. (And then referred me to a 'dietician/nutritionist' who, no joke, told me to 'eat more tortillas'-- hi racism, AND terrible nutritional advice, but I digress)

So basically the GTT fed me twice as much glucose as I had been eating in an entire day for the previous week or so in one go.
Did my low-carb diet leading up to the test account for that super high reading and thus my diagnosis?
If you eat low-carb long term does it affect your ability to process carbs at all?

p.s. I had a big and healthy but decidedly non-diabetic baby, so I think the GDM diagnosis, despite not meeting diagnostic criteria, was mostly because of my size...
Stella_g is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2013, 09:36 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: skinni
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella_g View Post
Did my low-carb diet leading up to the test account for that super high reading and thus my diagnosis?
Yes. I don't remember any of the science behind it, but you have to eat above a certain number of carbs for at least three days prior to a glucose test for the body to give a reliable reading. I took one once and it showed me as hypoglycemic, which I'm not, and I did the three days - so I'm guessing it should even be longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella_g View Post
If you eat low-carb long term does it affect your ability to process carbs at all?
Probably. Look up "Keto-Adaptation vs. Low Carb Limbo" for a sidewise look at this.

I know that personally, when I started LC, I could really feel a sugar high when I cheated, and now I can't tell any difference at all. My body's used to ketosis and SAD equally, at least due to improved insulin health. There are probably other factors. Enzyme production will change in your body due to dietary changes like giving up dairy or meat, for instance.

Completely on a side note, I'm amazed they do this to pregnant women. You're so careful to eat well and stay away from alcohol and all, and then they dump a load of poison into you, more than even a glutton could possibly eat in one sitting. That's sick. I hope they come up with a better way to test for GD.
skinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:39 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 312/310/ a lot less
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: restart again 10/27/2014
Yes. For an accurate gtt you need to be eating about 150 grams of carbs a day
for at least 3 days prior to the test. While you are doing low carb you are burning
primarly fat for energy this causes a special temporay type of insulin resistance that
goes away right after you go back eating carbs. Here is the first of a list of articles
on this subject. You may even want to tell your Dr. that you were low carbing before
yhat test so he can make a note that the results were probably wrong.

Hyperlipid: Physiological insulin resistance (1)
E.W. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:04 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Stella_g
Stats: 380(day I gave birth)/367 (non preg hw)/325cw/190
WOE: Atkins-- whole foods, minimal AS
Start Date: 5/14/2013
Thanks for the links and info-- I wish they had told me about eating 150 g of carbs leading up to the test, that would have been helpful...

Skinni- you're right, it's totally barbaric! I imagine that they usually do it earlier in pregnancy but it was truly awful at 8 months!
Stella_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:30 PM   #5
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
You should not take that test on a low carb woe. The advice is to up the carbs to more than 100g per day for 3 days prior to testing.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote