Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2013, 11:07 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ueguy1985
Stats: 255/225/195
Start Date: 7/15/2013
Alcohol?

This is the biggest problem I tend to have. I can give up carby foods no problem, but I like to drink. I've switched to mostly having hard alcohol with diet drinks or club soda and I've read quite a bit on the subject and wanted opinions from here. I realize from reading that even though the distilled alcohol is zero carb, your body will burn that for energy first. I guess my question is, will you say in ketosis and just switch back to burning fat once the alcohol is used up? If you drink "carb free" alco beverages, can you stay in keto? Thanks.
ueguy1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2013, 11:21 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: erinmarie
Stats: 137/118/ 110
WOE: Modified Atkins/ vlc/frankenfood free
Start Date: last start 8/11, restart 7/28/13
I live on n island drinking is a big part of the social life here... I indulge. A few times weekly and stick to zero carb liquor and zero to very low carb mixers. I think it slows me quite honestly but I am losing consistently. I had three Bacardi drinks last night and am almost positively in ketosis today... I have all the signs but don't use ketostix. I sometimes retain extra water after drinking but that flushes out quickly as well. Now the hangovers are worse and I'm a light weight but it works... If I gave up drinking entirely I'm not sure i would stick with it... My husband is a daily drinker- bourbon on the rocks and when we did use test strips he always turned em purple though mileage may vary on this as well...
erinmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:22 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
I have not gone out of ketosis drinking alcohol. I have been testing my blood ketones. I probably drink a few nights a week, sometimes less, sometimes more.

But it doesn't mean that's how everyone works, plus it depends on how much someone drinks, their size, etc.
AnnetteW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Gracie514
Stats: 214.6/198/194.6 SECOND GOAL!!!
WOE: HCG- highest wt 250 lbs!!!
Start Date: 1/1/2014 LC 2/17/14 Hhcg
When I did Atkins if I drank the next day my ketones were dark purple due to being dehydrated. You need to drink lots of water if you are going to drink. Unfortunately one of the side effects for me was having to nurse my hangover with carbs. Meat and veggies just doesn't do it when I'm hanging And, hangovers are much worse on low-carb plus the alcohol seemed to hit me faster and harder.
Gracie514 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:17 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MissBeeps
As long as I stick to the rule of no more than 9 grams of carbs in an hour I do fine.

(Really spicy Thai soups like Tom Kha and Tom Yum are really good for the morning after!)
MissBeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:13 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lowcarben
Start Date: Sept 2013
low carb beer

Hi. I am wondering about the MUL low carb beer? I drink about 4 or 5 a few times a week. I have only been doing low carb for a week. I have lost 3 pounds but my keto sticks are never dark, mainly they are negative or very might (trace). Wondering is the beer a few times a week is the problem.
Lowcarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:16 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MissBeeps
Quote:
Hi. I am wondering about the MUL low carb beer? I drink about 4 or 5 a few times a week. I have only been doing low carb for a week. I have lost 3 pounds but my keto sticks are never dark, mainly they are negative or very might (trace). Wondering is the beer a few times a week is the problem.
Being is ketosis is like being pregnant- you either are or you aren't, there is no "degree" to either.

If your stix are dark you are showing a higher concentration of ketones in your urine which means that you are most likely dehydrated, if they are light but still positive you are in ketosis. If they are negative it could be that you've fallen out of ketosis or that it's a false negative because the ketones are too dilute to register on the stix.

I don't know how many carbs low carb beer has but the number I have read over and over and over on bodybuilding sites is 9 grams of carbs being all the average body can process in an hours time. YMMV, of course- this doesn't consider being insulin resistant, etc. you could try having fewer in an evening and see if your results improve.

Last edited by MissBeeps; 09-12-2013 at 01:19 PM..
MissBeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:35 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tinamanni
Stats: 250/192/150
WOE: 80% fat
I get drunk so fast now that I don't eat carbs. Part is due to lowering my intake of alcohol (to almost none) but I think part is due to not having carbs to absorb it - thought I could be making that up lol
tinamanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:06 PM   #9
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBeeps View Post
Being is ketosis is like being pregnant- you either are or you aren't, there is no "degree" to either.

If your stix are dark you are showing a higher concentration of ketones in your urine which means that you are most likely dehydrated, if they are light but still positive you are in ketosis. If they are negative it could be that you've fallen out of ketosis or that it's a false negative because the ketones are too dilute to register on the stix.

I don't know how many carbs low carb beer has but the number I have read over and over and over on bodybuilding sites is 9 grams of carbs being all the average body can process in an hours time. YMMV, of course- this doesn't consider being insulin resistant, etc. you could try having fewer in an evening and see if your results improve.
A person can 'float' in and out of ketosis. The ketostix can detect ketones from a few hours before but are not really indicative of what is happening at the moment. The most accurate test is testing via blood ketones. Expensive and likely not necessary.

Drinking alcohol that does not involve any carbs likely means that the body will process that before anything else or at least be a hindrance to burning other fuels (i.e. fat/ketones).

It is my understand that if a person is already in ketosis and continues to eat the appropriate carbs and protein for their own established limits, alcohol will not take them out of ketosis.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:05 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shortcut
WOE: No grains/No starch/No sugar
Start Date: Sept 2010
I switched to low carb beer. Select 55 and Mich Ultra. But I never gave up my 3 or 4 a day. No problem with weight loss.
shortcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:19 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: skinni
If you're male, you can get away with it no problem. Seems to be the case, anyway.
skinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:12 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
I'm sure not talking about overindulging or getting drunk.

There's a difference between that and "some" alcohol.
AnnetteW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 01:53 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lighterbeing
Stats: 2much /...I rarely weigh.../160
WOE: Atkins most of the time
Start Date: June 2009
I love a couple of mich ultra's a couple of days a week!
lighterbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:47 PM   #14
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Emerald
Stats: Nothing to see here folks....move along.
I like a glass, or two, of wine but I'm going to stop for a while. Although it has never taken me out of ketosis it gives me headaches.
Emerald is offline   Reply With Quote