Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2013, 10:29 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rob71
Low carb - Want to change out possibly

Hello,

I started low carb (very low carb) about 3 months ago at 247 lbs. Lost ~27 lbs in 2.5 months. This was tough for me as I love pasta, breads, beer/wine and pizza but I rejected it all. I make wine and have allot of it sitting in my basement that I have not touched. It is almost impossible not to have carbs when dining out or eating at friends houses. I did my best and lost some weight. Up until 2 weeks ago I may have had 6 beers (not in one day) in the last month. I switched my drinking to Vodka and crystal light and this is OK but I miss beer and pasta. We had spaghetti squash instead and that is ok as well. Made allot of new low carb dishes that are OK as well and will continue eating them. But eating lunch out at restaurants low carb - close to impossible or bland and why eat out then.

Anyways we went on a cruise last week and I ate whatever. Tasted pasta dishes, had sandwiches, pizza and allot of beer and wine. Gained 8 lbs in a week.

Now my questions are is that I do not mind low carb most of the time but I want to go to a more balanced diet plan so I can have a few beers when I go out or have a sandwich/sauce at dinner if dining out. I know I need to add exercise but that is another story all together.

What can I do to get a happy medium? I want to get my weight down to at least 190. I am afraid that if I change things up I will gain all the weight and more back fast. I am wondering if I should have even started low carb now and do I have to stay or gain 30+ pounds back. Allot of what I read the weight will come back if I eat carbs. I am trying to get back into ketosis and 4 days so far and I am starving all the time. This is not going to last.

Thanks
rob71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2013, 10:34 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/205/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
It sounds like you should look into a standard lower calorie plan if you are not wanting to stick with low carb.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:35 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/139.4/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
Any plan that you start, and then go back to what you were eating, is going to allow you to gain the weight back. The most important thing about the whole process is to pick a plan that you can live with long term. What will you be able to do for the rest of your life? It's not just a "diet" it's a way of eating for life, otherwise you'll gain all the weight back, regardless of which plan you're on.

I would look into some different plans, maybe WW or something like that, that will allow you to eat the foods that you really feel like you can't live without. Then switch over to that plan and be strict with it. You may gain some weight back, but I doubt if you'll gain the whole 30 pounds back as long as you're strictly following the new plan. Throwing caution to the wind and just eating everything you want though would definitely cause you to gain it all back.

Good luck with finding the plan that works for you! In the end, it's all about what works for YOU.
250 ~ Weight I need to be under to Zip Line in Vegas with my daughter! Made it! 6/4/13
240 ~ Weight I need to be under to go SkyDiving with my niece! Made It
225 ~ Halfway There. 75 Down, 75 To Go! MADE IT! In just under 6 months!
199 ~ Onderland Here I Come! Made It!! 11/7/13
166 ~ No Longer Obese - Made it 3/14/14
150 ~ Ultimate Goal, Half my body weight gone Made it! 5/23/14
MtherGoos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:38 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Gaining back weight isn't specific to low carb diets. Any time you go off a diet and eat what you want, you're likely going to gain weight back. That's reality.

Look into another plan that allows you to eat what you'd prefer, if you need to. There are plans that work that aren't low carb.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shortcut
WOE: No grains/No starch/No sugar
Start Date: Sept 2010
Yup. Do what you used to do and you'll be what you used to be.
shortcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:46 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

I have no problem staying low carb most of the time. I want the ability to have a few beers once in a while or a slice of pizza on occasion without knocking myself out of ketosis. I know I can not go back to eating whatever/whenever but I want to be able to splurge say once a week or so.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:47 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/205/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob71 View Post
I have no problem staying low carb most of the time. I want the ability to have a few beers once in a while or a slice of pizza on occasion without knocking myself out of ketosis. I know I can not go back to eating whatever/whenever but I want to be able to splurge say once a week or so.
That won't happen. I can't imagine anyone being able to eat pizza and beer once a week and staying in ketosis. You certainly would lose any benefit from being keto-adapted. But if you can eat pizza and beer once a week, not get cravings the rest of the week, and lose weight doing so, more power to you.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:50 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Skinny Train
Weight watchers, zone, or maybe protein power. Carb cycling can be used to. If its done right its really effective. Takes discipline.
Skinny Train is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:52 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
That won't happen. I can't imagine anyone being able to eat pizza and beer once a week and staying in ketosis. You certainly would lose any benefit from being keto-adapted. But if you can eat pizza and beer once a week, not get cravings the rest of the week, and lose weight doing so, more power to you.
I do not know if I can - just want to know if its possible some how. I know ketosis is out the window but will that stop all weight loss and promote weight gain?
Old 09-12-2013, 11:16 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: abby!
Stats: 168/134/125
WOE: LC
I lost weight eating lower carb but not all the way in ketosis. Many eat 50 carbs and such and have higher days sometimes and still lose. If you choose to do that, you'll need to keep a closer eye on your calories as well. There is no reason to gain all the weight back. You can do a less strict low carb such as South Beach and still continue to lose while still having the foods you like SOME of the time and in much smaller quantities. It may be a slower pace if you don't watch the calories though. The key is to always be mindful of what you are putting in your body and the costs of such things.
abby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:18 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
You can eat anyway you like. Just set your boundaries. If you lose weight, great, if you don't lose, then you have to change something.

If you want to allow one "free" meal a week (I wouldn't recommend more) then give it a try. But only that one meal, with a couple slices of pizza, 2 beers, and then you are done. You probably won't put on 8 lbs, but you might see 4 or 5.

If you find you can't get back on track with low carb, it might not work for you.

If after one month you aren't losing, reconsider your options. We do each have to find our happy medium, what works for us, and what we are willing to do to lose weight.

I'm not willing to give up what others here have given up, someone else might think what I eat is insane. Eat now as you lose weight what you will be able to sustain later.

Last Friday (6 days ago) I ate a dessert at a restaurant and some other carbs, though nothing insane like that dessert. That was my first real splurge in 4 months. I showed a 2 lb weight increase (oh well) but it took 6 days for it to finally go away. If tomorrow night I chose to do that same meal again, and my weight went up by 2 lbs, I would never show a loss.

Yet maybe in another month I might choose to enjoy another splurge, or I might choose not too. I have no plan on being so strict when I maintain that I can't enjoy something now and then, but I know it has to be a rare occasion.

I've known people who diet during the week and take the weekend off, but I do think it's a better maintenance technique than weight loss technique.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:35 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
I do not know if I can - just want to know if its possible some how. I know ketosis is out the window but will that stop all weight loss and promote weight gain?
Rob,

Low carb works *because* it's low carb. If you throw in a meal or carby drink even once a week, my guess is (depending on how many calories you're eating while low carb and how many carbs you ingest on that off time) you'll probably stall at the very least and may even gain.

I've not found low carb to be particularly flexible with high carb cheats. Perhaps another WOE like South Beach or one of the others that someone previously suggested might be a better option.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:45 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gabby1
Stats: 220/192/170 5'9" 47yo
WOE: Gentle Low Carb
Start Date: 6/22/2012
Have you checked out the JUDD program? It allows high calorie days and low calorie days, with a lot more carb leniency, from what I've read. There is a support group here on LCF and seem like a friendly bunch- find them among the specific diet forums.

Good luck,
Gabby
Gabby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:57 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
You may want to look at one of the alternet day fasting plans Fast5, 2:5, one meal a day or what may be the most popular one JUDDD. On JUDDD you can easily work a beer and pizza night in and still lose weight fine.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:57 AM   #15
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: pocahontas
Quote:
It's not possible. Have you read any of the LC books? They go into the science as to why LC works and why a meal of carbs will set you back and the effects it will have on your body. Perhaps if you understood it would be easier to stick to plan? Or perhaps LC just inst for you and that is OK too!
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:10 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Check out the carbohydrate addicts diet...it may be a better fit as it allows a higher carb meal per day...although I say if something works it is probably how you should be eating...I ate what ever I wanted for 40 years...after that I gained 65 pounds in 5 years trying to taylor my life so I could eat what I wanted...and not what my body obviuosly needed...carbs are addictive and I believe the carb monster has sucked you back in to his domain. Good luck with whatever you chose, but any plan is ony good if you can stick with it...the beauty of my plan,Atkins, is that once I am to goal I can enjoy all the things you speak of in moderation...that means an occassional meal out that includes pasta or dessert or breads, or whatever. Until then I enjoy low carb sugar free versions so the carb monster will not drag me back to his lair.(muwahahah)
I think carbs are addictive, and don't play well with other foods we like to have with them, making our bodies hold on to excess fat and eventually causing metabolic disorders as well as diabetes and a miriad of other medical issues.

Good luck.

Being fat is Hard...Dieting is Hard... Pick your hard

Live, Laugh, Love and...LEARN from mistakes

65 pounds lost so far and not looking back
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:33 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kaillean
Stats: 209.5/200.5/165
Start Date: September 3, 2013
You are making it doubly hard on yourself if you allow cheat days or meals. You will be in and out of ketosis and having cravings for all of your favorite high carb foods. The only way to break your addiction to these things is to go without.

For me, thinking of alcohol and treats as special -- and rare -- occasions is much easier.

The best thing about low carb is that you can eat REALLY well and eat quite a bit and not be hungry or have to battle daily cravings. This only works if you keep carbs low.

It's not called a medium carb diet.

Why not just choose a plan, stick to it religiously for two weeks, and then reevaluate how you are feeling.

Low carb can be a very satisfying way to eat and lose weight at the same time. But you must work your plan for your plan to work.

Mini goal: Onederland by October 1
Kaillean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:59 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/178/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
I went on a trip, was careful but not perfect, had several carb treats, came home and the scale said I'd gained 8 pounds too. Got back on plan, drank lots of water, and lost the 8 pounds, which is mostly bloat, in a week. Had a good time on vacation, enjoyed my treats, got back on plan and all is well.

Some give themselves one treat meal a week, and it works for them. Some up their carbs a bit and go along with losing slower. As for restaurants and eating out, these days I find a lot of low carb choices I like. There's all kinds of ways to swing this thing, but no matter what woe you're doing, there's going to be some uncomfortable moments and sacrifices. And yeah, if you keep eating the way you were pre LC, you will gain it all back. I know, been there.

And then of course, no diet loves beer and pizza. Good luck to you.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:08 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimivac
Stats: 160.4/131.4/132 -- body fat % 42.2/31.8/24
WOE: Back to low carb
Start Date: July 1, 2012
I've actually found eating low carb at restaurants to be one of the most easy and enjoyable parts of the WOE. For instance for lunch today I had a steak salad with tomatoes, cucumber, eggplant, onions, red cabbage slaw, and a bunch of other vegetables. Added a hot sauce and feta cheese and feel immensely satisfied. Last night went out for a fancy dinner and had escargot and foie gras. The varieties are endless! Maybe try a little less restricted carb-wise. For instance if you were only eating meat, cheese, and eggs, try some veggies, etc. It doesn't have to be all or nothing.
144 by October 28 -- reached October 31
140 by November 25 -- reached December 6
136 by December 30 -- reached January 12
132 by January 27
mimivac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:54 PM   #20
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Hello,

I started low carb (very low carb) about 3 months ago at 247 lbs. Lost ~27 lbs in 2.5 months. This was tough for me as I love pasta, breads, beer/wine and pizza but I rejected it all. I make wine and have allot of it sitting in my basement that I have not touched. It is almost impossible not to have carbs when dining out or eating at friends houses. I did my best and lost some weight. Up until 2 weeks ago I may have had 6 beers (not in one day) in the last month. I switched my drinking to Vodka and crystal light and this is OK but I miss beer and pasta. We had spaghetti squash instead and that is ok as well. Made allot of new low carb dishes that are OK as well and will continue eating them. But eating lunch out at restaurants low carb - close to impossible or bland and why eat out then.

Anyways we went on a cruise last week and I ate whatever. Tasted pasta dishes, had sandwiches, pizza and allot of beer and wine. Gained 8 lbs in a week.

Now my questions are is that I do not mind low carb most of the time but I want to go to a more balanced diet plan so I can have a few beers when I go out or have a sandwich/sauce at dinner if dining out. I know I need to add exercise but that is another story all together.

What can I do to get a happy medium? I want to get my weight down to at least 190. I am afraid that if I change things up I will gain all the weight and more back fast. I am wondering if I should have even started low carb now and do I have to stay or gain 30+ pounds back. Allot of what I read the weight will come back if I eat carbs. I am trying to get back into ketosis and 4 days so far and I am starving all the time. This is not going to last.

Thanks
In order to be successful on a vlc woe, you must understand why and buy in. Have you read 'Why We Get Fat' by Gary Taubes? It is very imformative and may change your thinking about food you love. Another is Wheat Belly by Dr. W. Davis.

Living a life that includes socializing and eating out can present challenges - no doubt. There are good and effective strategies but it requires planning ahead and feeling that it is something that you want to do.

Without knowing your reasons for choosing a low carb diet, I would think that if it seems too much of an obstacle, there are other plans. But know, that you will have to pick one that you can sustain for the foreseeable future. Any one does not forgive weight loss if you stray too far and too often.

I wish you luck on your weight loss and future diet. It is important to overall health and well being.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:59 PM   #21
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Welcome, Rob!

There are lots of diet plans that are lower carb but that don't require you to be in ketosis. Ketosis is not necessary for fat loss.

There are also plans that allow for a free meal per day or per week. There are even some that allow for a complete free day.

You just need to do some research to find one that works for you and for your lifestyle.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:08 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
In order to be successful on a vlc woe, you must understand why and buy in. Have you read 'Why We Get Fat' by Gary Taubes? It is very imformative and may change your thinking about food you love. Another is Wheat Belly by Dr. W. Davis.

Living a life that includes socializing and eating out can present challenges - no doubt. There are good and effective strategies but it requires planning ahead and feeling that it is something that you want to do.

Without knowing your reasons for choosing a low carb diet, I would think that if it seems too much of an obstacle, there are other plans. But know, that you will have to pick one that you can sustain for the foreseeable future. Any one does not forgive weight loss if you stray too far and too often.

I wish you luck on your weight loss and future diet. It is important to overall health and well being.
I started doing low card to lose weight. At 41 years old, 5'8 and 247lbs it was not good. I am down to 221 as of this morning (lost 6 lbs this week from after the cruise - water I guess). I have high triglycerides/cholesterol (350/220) that I am trying to lower as I can not take the meds. Family has a bad history of diabetes that I am trying to prolong as I know its coming. My mother had a quadruple bypass a few years back (planned due to find blockages and not a heart attack).

We do like to go out to dinner with friends to socialize and with work at times. Besides ordering a plain steak (no sauce) and plain bland vegetables, I can not find low card when eating out - And forget my favorite Italian food.

I know eating that food too much is no good and what got me to 247lbs. Just now I have a bunch of events coming up and I do not know what to do. For the past 3 months we have eaten out 3 times maybe as opposed to the twice a week. NO socializing that much with friends. Not saving any money as we are buying more food at home (meats) for the grill. Even eating all sorts of great meat, smoked briskets, pulled pork, steaks, chicken, etc.

I have been keeping my carbs very low. I do not count them and dont want to get into measuring food. Not bringing a scale along every where I go. My method for the past few months is if its got more than 5 carbs - do not eat it. Only ate cheese sticks that are 1G or less, green vegetables (no starch type). I got me to drop 27 lbs. I make larger meals and take leftovers to lunch the next day so I know what I am eating but not measured but I know I did not add high carb sauces, breadcrumbs, etc.

I do need some more variety. Cooler weather is coming and less outdoor cooking soon. Means more meals indoors that I will have to find low carb and flavorful. Like a good chilli, soup, oven bakes.

I just do not know what to do going forward. I can continue low carb as some meals I love. Just need to mix things up I guess.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:05 AM   #23
Chatty Cathy

It is important to your health that you get this under control and find ways to make it work and not seem like a monumental task. It takes time and planning. I can tell you that as a person that was severely addicted to carbs, it was not an easy ride in the beginning but now 4 yrs. later, I love the way I eat and I hope that I will never return to my former bad eating habits because they were literally making me sick.

So plan and read and experiment. It is a journey and nobody gets it 100% right out of the gate. Make it a priority and you will get to a point where your struggle is pretty much non existent.

I have traveled to Europe a number of times (Italy as one destination) and it was easy to stay low carb. There are a ton of options and on the very few occasions that there wasn't a great option, it is easy to wait to eat. Hunger is not the misery it was when I was a glucose burner. I intentionally do fast now and again as a weight loss tool and it is quite wonderful to discover that it feels just fine.

The only place I have trouble eating in North America are Asian restaurants. I try to avoid them where ever possible. I do think though that there are some options and you need to speak up and ask for plain foods. As it happens, it is one of my favorites is Asian and I have learned to make many of those foods at home. Last night I had sushi!

Here is a link to a couple of sites that have some fabulous recipe ideas. And as a final thought, I consider my way of eating as a trade up.... by a long shot.

INDUCTION FOOD PORN!!!

Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - Home

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-pictures.html

There is a ton more out there but I can't post due to ads on the various other sites.

Good luck and let us know how you are doing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg California rolls.jpg (62.6 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by clackley; 09-13-2013 at 06:15 AM..
Old 09-13-2013, 06:07 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
Start Date: 12/1/2010
All meat chilli is awesome and you could add beans if you choose when you get to that point...I prefer it without beans and use different types of meat for texture...just replace a lot of the tomato products with beef broth...yes broth...you wont be able to tell the difference ...1 can tomato to 2 cans broth.
There are many casarole recipes...I suggest anything by Linda Sue.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:37 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Looking at this menu from a local Italian restaurant - What is low carb beside a steak with nothing else

Sausage & Peppers
Eggplant Parmigiana - Batter dipped eggplant baked with mozzarella & tomato sauce.
Eggplant Rollatini - Eggplant stuffed with ricotta & mozzarella with tomato sauce.
Manicotti or Ravioli
Stuffed Shells
Pasta Fagioli
Pasta with red kidney beans
Baked Ziti
Lasagna
Ziti with Broccoli
In a garlic and oil sauce.
Ziti Aum Aum
Ziti made with eggplant and mozzarella.
Bowtie Michelangelo
Grilled chicken with bowtie pasta, peas, and onions in garlic & oil.
Ziti Arrabbiata
Ziti in a spicy, hot fresh tomato sauce.
Fettucine Alfredo
Fettucine Carbonara - Pasta made with eggs, onions and bacon.
Ziti Positano - Ziti made with a creamy tomato sauce and a touch of vodka.
Rigatoni Ortolano -Rigatoni with escarole & white beans.
Rigatoni Bolognese -Pasta made in a ground beef tomato sauce with a touch of cream.
Rigatoni Della Nonna - Pasta made with meat sauce, ricotta & peas.
Ziti Amartregiana - Pasta made with bacon, onions, tomato sauce and a touch of vodka.
Linguini with Clam Sauce -Choice of white or red clam sauce
Penne Piemonte - Penne with fresh homemade sausage, Shitake mushrooms and fresh tomatoes in garlic and oil.
Pasta Primavera - Pasta with fresh vegetables sautéed in garlic & oil.
Bowtie San Pietro - Bowtie pasta with grilled chicken, sun-dried tomatoes, pesto and broccoli in a light cream sauce.
Whole Wheat Penne Pompeii - Whole wheat penne with grilled chicken and fresh spinach sauteed with fresh tomato in garlic & oil.
clams Costiera - Clams with arugula, fresh tomatoes, sage and garlic over spaghetti.
Frutti Di Mare
Shrimp Calabrese
Shrimp with broccoli, garlic & oil over linguine.
Linguine Maremonti - shrimp and fresh mushrooms cooked in a delicious white wine sauce.
Linguine Julianne - Shrimp with roasted peppers and mushrooms in a scampi sauce.
Lobster Pescatore -One 6 oz. lobster tail, clams and mussels in a light marinara sauce over linguine.
Calamari Luciano - Calamari with cherry tomatoes, cooked in white wine seasoned 14.25 with garlic, oregano & basil over linguine.
Linguine Frutti Di mare - Shrimp, mussels, clams, calamari and filet cooked superbly in a fresh light red sauce.
Calamari - Marinara or Fra Diavolo
Salmon alla Griglia
Mussels - Marinara or Fra Diavolo
Filet of Sole -Broiled or fried.
Filet of Sole Fiorentina -Filet with spinach sautéed in sherry wine & butter.
Filet of Sole Oreganata - Filet topped with seasoned breadcrumbs, white wine & broiled.
Shrimp Parmigiana
Shrimp - Marinara or Fra Diavolo
Shrimp Scampi -Shrimp sautéed in garlic, butter and white wine.
Shrimp Francese -Shrimp dipped in a light batter and sautéed with sherry wine.
Shrimp Fiorentina -Shrimp sautéed in sherry wine with fresh spinach.
Shrimp Portofino -Shrimp with ham and fresh mushrooms in a light cream sauce.
Gamberi Alla Griglia - Grilled shrimp over spinach.
Salmon Gran Marnier- Salmon cooked in a Gran Marnier reduction.
Chicken Sorrentina - Chicken breast sautéed with sherry wine and topped with eggplant and mozzarella.
Chicken Napolitana
Chicken Parmigiana - Breaded chicken cutlet with mozzarella and tomato sauce.
Chicken Cetera -Breaded, boneless chicken with mushrooms sautéed in lemon and wine.
Chicken Marsala -Chicken breast sautéed in Marsala wine with mushrooms
Chicken Scarpariello - Chicken on the bone with white wine, garlic and oil.
Chicken Rosato - Chicken with fresh spinach in a port wine sauce.
Chicken Napoletana -Chicken breast sautéed in white wine with prosciutto, mozzarella and a touch of fresh tomato sauce.
Chicken Cacciatore -Chicken on the bone in a tomato sauce with onions, peppers & mushrooms.
Chicken Amalfi -Chicken breast with artichoke hearts in a Marsala wine sauce.
Chicken Casa Nostra -Chicken with peppers and artichokes topped with fresh mozzarella in a white wine sauce.
Chicken Caprese -Chicken breast topped with fresh tomato, fresh mozzarella in a garlic and oil.
Chicken Del Rei -Grilled chicken topped with a cold arugula salad.
Chicken Nocello - Chicken with sun-dried tomatoes and artichoke in a white wine sauce.
Chicken Valentino - Chicken breast with roasted peppers, spinach, in a white wine sauce
Veal with fresh mushrooms in a light cream sauce.
Veal Parmigiana - Breaded veal cutlet with mozzarella and tomato sauce.
Veal Marsala -Veal sautéed with Marsala wine and mushrooms.
Veal Francese - Veal dipped in a batter and sautéed with sherry wine.
Veal Piccata - Veal sautéed in lemon and butter sauce.
Veal Saltimbocca -Veal sautéed with spinach and topped with prosciutto and cheese.
Veal Pizzaiola - Veal cooked in a fresh tomato sauce with garlic, oil and oregano.
Veal Monte - Veal with roasted peppers and mozzarella in a light red sauce.
New York Shell Steak
Prime U.S. Grade A, 14oz.
Steak Pizzaiola - Steak cooked in a fresh tomato sauce with garlic, oil and oregano.
Steak Montepertuso -Shell steak broiled with fresh peppercorns and rosemary.
Pork Chop Calabrese - Pork chop topped with fresh tomatoes, hot cherry peppers, garlic & oil.
Pork Chop Rosano -Pork chop with roasted peppers simmered in port wine.

I have looked most of these and they are all 29G Carbs plus per meal not including the sides. The pasta dishes are all out due to the carbs. My guess is not to go to this restaurant like I have not for 3 months. Eating out I can not control what they add to a dish. Do I ask a waiter to bring me a plain piece of chicken and that's it? Salad with no dressing?
Old 09-13-2013, 08:04 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
I know people that do this- strict diet all week and then an off plan/splurge meal on the weekend. You will be kicked out of ketosis and will lose about two days of weight loss with the carbs and then losing that water weight but it works for some people. the big question is whether you can keep it to one meal - so you go out to eat and eat carbs but then when you come home you have to go right back on plan.

I am not all gung ho about being in ketosis at all times. I go out of it all the time when I eat higher carb foods because I am in maintenance and I still maintain my goal weight just fine. There are people in ketosis that aren't losing weight and others that are not in ketosis are losing just fine, so it's not a requirement for weight loss.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:17 AM   #27
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Looking at this menu from a local Italian restaurant - What is low carb beside a steak with nothing else

Sausage & Peppers
Eggplant Parmigiana - Batter dipped eggplant baked with mozzarella & tomato sauce.
Eggplant Rollatini - Eggplant stuffed with ricotta & mozzarella with tomato sauce.
Manicotti or Ravioli
Stuffed Shells
Pasta Fagioli
Pasta with red kidney beans
Baked Ziti
Lasagna
Ziti with Broccoli
In a garlic and oil sauce.
Ziti Aum Aum
Ziti made with eggplant and mozzarella.
Bowtie Michelangelo
Grilled chicken with bowtie pasta, peas, and onions in garlic & oil.
Ziti Arrabbiata
Ziti in a spicy, hot fresh tomato sauce.
Fettucine Alfredo
Fettucine Carbonara - Pasta made with eggs, onions and bacon.
Ziti Positano - Ziti made with a creamy tomato sauce and a touch of vodka.
Rigatoni Ortolano -Rigatoni with escarole & white beans.
Rigatoni Bolognese -Pasta made in a ground beef tomato sauce with a touch of cream.
Rigatoni Della Nonna - Pasta made with meat sauce, ricotta & peas.
Ziti Amartregiana - Pasta made with bacon, onions, tomato sauce and a touch of vodka.
Linguini with Clam Sauce -Choice of white or red clam sauce
Penne Piemonte - Penne with fresh homemade sausage, Shitake mushrooms and fresh tomatoes in garlic and oil.
Pasta Primavera - Pasta with fresh vegetables sautéed in garlic & oil.
Bowtie San Pietro - Bowtie pasta with grilled chicken, sun-dried tomatoes, pesto and broccoli in a light cream sauce.
Whole Wheat Penne Pompeii - Whole wheat penne with grilled chicken and fresh spinach sauteed with fresh tomato in garlic & oil.
clams Costiera - Clams with arugula, fresh tomatoes, sage and garlic over spaghetti.
Frutti Di Mare
Shrimp Calabrese
Shrimp with broccoli, garlic & oil over linguine.
Linguine Maremonti - shrimp and fresh mushrooms cooked in a delicious white wine sauce.
Linguine Julianne - Shrimp with roasted peppers and mushrooms in a scampi sauce.
Lobster Pescatore -One 6 oz. lobster tail, clams and mussels in a light marinara sauce over linguine.
Calamari Luciano - Calamari with cherry tomatoes, cooked in white wine seasoned 14.25 with garlic, oregano & basil over linguine.
Linguine Frutti Di mare - Shrimp, mussels, clams, calamari and filet cooked superbly in a fresh light red sauce.
Calamari - Marinara or Fra Diavolo
Salmon alla Griglia

Filet of Sole -Broiled or fried.
Filet of Sole Fiorentina -Filet with spinach sautéed in sherry wine & butter.
Filet of Sole Oreganata - Filet topped with seasoned breadcrumbs, white wine & broiled.
Shrimp Parmigiana
Shrimp - Marinara or Fra Diavolo
Shrimp Scampi -Shrimp sautéed in garlic, butter and white wine.
Shrimp Francese -Shrimp dipped in a light batter and sautéed with sherry wine.
Shrimp Fiorentina -Shrimp sautéed in sherry wine with fresh spinach.
Shrimp Portofino -Shrimp with ham and fresh mushrooms in a light cream sauce.
Gamberi Alla Griglia - Grilled shrimp over spinach.
Salmon Gran Marnier- Salmon cooked in a Gran Marnier reduction.
Chicken Sorrentina - Chicken breast sautéed with sherry wine and topped with eggplant and mozzarella.
Chicken Napolitana
Chicken Parmigiana - Breaded chicken cutlet with mozzarella and tomato sauce.
Chicken Cetera -Breaded, boneless chicken with mushrooms sautéed in lemon and wine.
Chicken Marsala -Chicken breast sautéed in Marsala wine with mushrooms
Chicken Scarpariello - Chicken on the bone with white wine, garlic and oil.
Chicken Rosato - Chicken with fresh spinach in a port wine sauce.
Chicken Napoletana -Chicken breast sautéed in white wine with prosciutto, mozzarella and a touch of fresh tomato sauce.
Chicken Cacciatore -Chicken on the bone in a tomato sauce with onions, peppers & mushrooms.
Chicken Amalfi -Chicken breast with artichoke hearts in a Marsala wine sauce.
Chicken Casa Nostra -Chicken with peppers and artichokes topped with fresh mozzarella in a white wine sauce.

Chicken Caprese -Chicken breast topped with fresh tomato, fresh mozzarella in a garlic and oil.
Chicken Del Rei -Grilled chicken topped with a cold arugula salad.
Chicken Nocello - Chicken with sun-dried tomatoes and artichoke in a white wine sauce.

Chicken Valentino - Chicken breast with roasted peppers, spinach, in a white wine sauce
Veal with fresh mushrooms in a light cream sauce.
Veal Parmigiana - Breaded veal cutlet with mozzarella and tomato sauce.
Veal Marsala -Veal sautéed with Marsala wine and mushrooms.
Veal Francese - Veal dipped in a batter and sautéed with sherry wine.
Veal Piccata - Veal sautéed in lemon and butter sauce.
Veal Saltimbocca -Veal sautéed with spinach and topped with prosciutto and cheese.
Veal Pizzaiola - Veal cooked in a fresh tomato sauce with garlic, oil and oregano.
Veal Monte - Veal with roasted peppers and mozzarella in a light red sauce.
New York Shell Steak
Prime U.S. Grade A, 14oz.
Steak Pizzaiola - Steak cooked in a fresh tomato sauce with garlic, oil and oregano.
Steak Montepertuso -Shell steak broiled with fresh peppercorns and rosemary.
Pork Chop Calabrese - Pork chop topped with fresh tomatoes, hot cherry peppers, garlic & oil.
Pork Chop Rosano -Pork chop with roasted peppers simmered in port wine.

I have looked most of these and they are all 29G Carbs plus per meal not including the sides. The pasta dishes are all out due to the carbs. My guess is not to go to this restaurant like I have not for 3 months. Eating out I can not control what they add to a dish. Do I ask a waiter to bring me a plain piece of chicken and that's it? Salad with no dressing?
This is where the planning begins. You have looked up some of your possible choices and with some very small adjustments or just picking the right dish, it can be really good. I have highlighted a few of the choices you could make. You need to clarify with your server that you cannot eat flour (you are gluten intolerant) and if there is any doubt, have them serve it on the side. Even a meat lasagna will do by picking out the noodles.

There is no reason to eat so plainly. Pick a dressing like Ceaser or any other full fat of your choice. If there appears to be nothing appropriate, ask for the chicken (maybe skin on if possible) and some butter or cheese to fill it out and make it savory. I doubt that any good Italian restaurant would have nothing but that to offer. No matter what, you can order most things without the sauce. Good Italian cooking is simple and seafood is their specialty.

I think people tend to not want to call attention to themselves and maybe are shy about getting what they need. I think that when you are paying for a meal, that it is important to get what you want.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:34 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

How do I know how much carbs are in their tomato sauce? If they add sugar? Most of the wine sauces are high in carbs as well.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:53 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Darkginger
Stats: 197/147/147
Start Date: August 2004 (properly)
Ask them if they add sugar to their tomato sauce? I don't eat plainly when I go out - if I have a steak I'll have it with lashings of garlic butter and a pile of mushrooms, and a salad with an oil and vinegar dressing, or mayonnaise. I have things like roast pork belly with a heap of broccoli (served, where I go, with a red wine and meat jus), broiled or poached fish (salmon and hollandaise, yum!), seafood with a Marie Rose sauce (checking that there's no added sugar) or garlic butter, or mayonnaise. Roast chicken in a cream-based sauce, aubergine parmigiana (saw that on your menu above - but WHY do they batter the eggplant? - they tend not to in the UK), chicken tikka or tandoori if we go to an Indian restaurant, crispy duck without pancakes or hoisin sauce if we go to a Chinese. Carverys and Brazilian BBQ places are great - I just eat meat, mostly, with a token bit of veg and/or salad on the side. Burger joints are pretty simple, just remove bun

Last time went out I had a huge plate of fresh seafood - oysters, prawns, crab, smoked salmon, BBQ salmon and tuna paté, with a couple of pickled chilli peppers, some caper berries, followed by roast chicken with cauliflower, broccoli, carrots (only a few) and green beans. Followed all that with the cheese plate, minus crackers. Can't say I wasn't satisfied, and I didn't feel at all deprived, either!
WC Fields
Darkginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:58 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dgidaho
Stats: 221/193/160
WOE: Low Carb--began with Atkins
Start Date: March 21, 2013
rob71, I don't know if you have blood sugar issues or not, but thought I'd throw this out there...

Maintaining healthy and consistent blood sugar levels is one of the primary contributors of low carbing that leads to better health markers and weight loss. Food choices, for most of us non-diabetics, are what keeps this under control. I, for one, have a tendency to hypoglycemia (rather marked, at that) when eating the SAD. Since I've adopted low carb, the crashes are gone. That said, when I am in a restaurant (where I'd MUCH rather be than the kitchen! ) I ask questions. If necessary, I tell them that I monitor my blood sugar levels and need to know how certain menu items are prepared. In most restaurants, servers are able to suggest meal options and healthier side dish trade-offs. Diabetes is so incredibly rampant these days that nobody questions my motivation. (And in reality, I'm fighting against the progression TO diabetes!) I've never been made to feel like I'm creating a hassle for anybody when eating out. Most restaurants want to please their customers and provide a positive experience for them. Just communicate your needs in whatever manner you feel comfortable. If enough people make requests, menus will change!
dgidaho is offline   Reply With Quote