LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 01:14 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Skulldrix
Stats: 144/144/138
WOE: 20 carbs day,no nuts or fruit
Start Date: 7/21/13 restart 4/14/2014
Should portion matter that much to me?

I have have started rowing, and the workout is extremely intense. I find myself waking up in the middle of the night starving.

I still only eat 4 oz of cheese, 3 tbsp of cream, 3 tbsp of sour cream, and 3 packets of sweetner a day.

My dairy intake has been stagnant.

But since I do such an intense workout, which involves rowing 8 miles a day, what food should i be eating to fill in the gaps?

I find that I'm eating more nuts, veggies, and legumes. But worry about the carbs.

Should I control portions or should I eat till I'm satisfied ( which is always more than the serving size)?
Skulldrix is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2013, 01:31 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kaillean
Stats: 209.5/191/165
WOE: Atkins/Paleo
Start Date: Restart: October 12, 2014
If you're inducting, you shouldn't be eating nuts or legumes. They're for later stages.

Nuts - if you choose low carb ones like almonds or macadamias-- are preferable to the legumes and might not do you any harm at all since you are working out a lot.

You can probably also get away with higher amounts of protein - meat or eggs. Do you know how many grams of protein you have daily? Make sure you are getting enough healthy fat, too. This will help you feel full and satisfied.

I would continue to limit the cheese, cream, and sweetener to your current limits. This is not the place to add, in my experience.

The best thing about Atkins is that you don't ever have to be hungry! Just need to figure out your right mix of food. Good luck!

Mini goal 1: Onederland by October 27 (Met Oct 24!! )
Mini goal 2: 189 by November 30
Kaillean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:32 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: pocahontas
The items you are portioning are the worst offenders to cause a potential stall. I wouldnt change anything in that regard if it is working for you. If you are hungry, add more protein, hard boiled eggs and leafy green veggies + healthy fats like avocado.

Last edited by pocahontas; 09-11-2013 at 01:34 PM..
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:42 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
My advice is always to start at the 1-1.5gm of protein per kilo of ideal weight *per day* but, depending on how intensive the rowing is, you may need more than that. Then I'd keep the carbs below 25 and fill up the remainder with fat. Excess protein only makes me hungrier, but the fat seems to keep me going for longer without adding excessive hunger. My fats tend to run around 65-80% depending on whether I have a BPC for one of my meals and/or ground beef/cheese in the same day.

If my calories are kind of low during the day, I'll have a BPC for an evening snack to help me get through the night so I don't wake up ravenous in the morning.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:48 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tybeeanna
Stats: H286 }232VSG{ C162 G when I get there
WOE: low/carb 8-21-12
Start Date: 8/21/12
you're 5'7 & 145lbs I agree with Pocahontas, Protein. Are you maintaining or wanting to lose?

Last edited by tybeeanna; 09-11-2013 at 02:49 PM..
tybeeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:02 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jmc305
Stats: 323/220/205
WOE: Atkins mostly
Start Date: September 2011
Conventional wisdom says your muscles are starving for protein. Now, conventional wisdom has let us down in the past (healthy whole grains, food pyramid) but in this case, I think you DO actually need more protein. I would recommend a post-workout protein shake (Isopure has a ZERO carb powder) and I might even do a lil something pre-workout, if it won't make you nauseous. If I woke up hungry, I would pop open a can of tuna and eat a boiled egg or something. Fast, easy, reliable protein. That's my .02.
jmc305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:48 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I would slightly increase protein (slightly), and increase fat to bring your calories up if you need to. I would not increase any of the foods you mentioned.

But I would only do that if you're not trying to lose weight.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:58 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UghNowWhat
Eat until satisfied but pick different foods. Do you eat meat? If not then eat eggs. Intense cardio can make some people more hungry.. I have that problem. Being over-hungry (waking up starving) can lead to binges and for most people means carbs so that is probably why you're going for more carby foods. Nuts stall some people..especially if you're overeating them.

Just eat more protein and fat... put butter or salad dressing on the veggies.
UghNowWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:31 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: erinmarie
Stats: 137/118/ 110
WOE: Modified Atkins/ vlc/frankenfood free
Start Date: last start 8/11, restart 7/28/13
The best thing about this woe is that you don't have to be hungry... Tonight was grilled strip steak with a homemade creamy Italian dressed garden salad... It seems like you are eating like someone on a deprivation diet and in my opinion, that's not what low carving is all about! Eat till satisfied just eat the right stuff... I love how I can enjoy my food and still shrink right out of my clothes while my friends starve and suffer just to maintain it's a mindset and the more you learn the happier and more successful you will be. But you should never ever be starving on this plan ( are you following one In particular?)
erinmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:38 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kaillean
Stats: 209.5/191/165
WOE: Atkins/Paleo
Start Date: Restart: October 12, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by erinmarie View Post
The best thing about this woe is that you don't have to be hungry... Tonight was grilled strip steak with a homemade creamy Italian dressed garden salad... It seems like you are eating like someone on a deprivation diet and in my opinion, that's not what low carving is all about! Eat till satisfied just eat the right stuff... I love how I can enjoy my food and still shrink right out of my clothes while my friends starve and suffer just to maintain it's a mindset and the more you learn the happier and more successful you will be. But you should never ever be starving on this plan ( are you following one In particular?)
That's why low carb is the best plan in the world -- you NEVER have to be hungry. And fat, in reasonable amounts, is your friend.

Tonight, I'm having another chicken wing craving. Just can't resist me some yummy wings. Will eat with a side salad with olive oil. High fat, highish calorie and perfectly legal!!
Kaillean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:38 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
Ummm... Why are you doing such excessive cardio?
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote