LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 06:50 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: greenbabby
Stats: 154/129/115
WOE: Lost and looking for direction
Start Date: February 2013
Stalled- Need advice

I started a low carb lifestyle in February at 154lbs. I'm female and short 5'2 31 years old. By May I was down to 131, which was great! I am now at 129 but I can't seem to get pass that point. I don't follow any of the plans which I'm sure is my problem. I need a point in the right direction.
  • I typically stay under 15 net carbs a day My typical daily food routine goes like this:
  • coffee with half and half or cream
  • either 1 egg with bacon/ham or 2 eggs sometimes with cheese
  • I usually snack on a Quest bar with 3-6 net carbs (usually around 17g fiber though)
  • some lunchmeat( chicken, roast beef, salami) and a slice of cheese or a cheese stick or tuna with mayo
  • An Atkins shake usually 2-3 net carbs
  • Protein for dinner( chicken, pork chop, shrimp)
  • If I need more snacks then that I'll snack on: 1 serving peanuts, pork rinds, pepperoni, ricotta cheese sweetened with truvia, or a beef and cheese stick package.
I drink 4-8 glasses of water a day ( Depending if I have easy access to a bathroom at work that day)

I currently work out of town living in hotels but I'll be home in 2 weeks and when I'm home I incorporate more veggies.

Once a week I have a "cheat" meal, usually 2 rolls of sushi.

I need some direction: Not sure what to do next. Which plan should I be following?

Also I'm going hiking with my husband next week. Should I incorporate some carbs into my diet for all the extra physical activity I'll be doing?

I know it's a lot of questions, but I don't know what to do? Thank you in advance for any suggestions you may have.
greenbabby is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2013, 06:52 AM   #2
Junior LCF Member

I also take a multi vitamin, a hair/nails biotin supplement, and have recently started CLA in hopes that it would help, it hasn't
Old 09-11-2013, 07:25 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tinamanni
Stats: 250/192/150
WOE: 80% fat
A few things - get rid of the Atkin shakes and Quest bars. Focus on real food for awhile. Also, having a cheat day probably pushes you out of ketosis which is making nothing happen for you. I would use a tracker food journal to make sure you are getting enough fat because it doesn't seem like you are.

Your weight is close to where it should be so it's going to be very slow from this point.
tinamanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:27 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Natalia
Stats: 190/174/125
WOE: VLC
Start Date: June 2013
I would lose the quest bar and shake, in favor of high fat, low residue, ZC snacks.

If that still doesn't work, I would try counting total carbs instead of net. For some reason, fiber affects some people.

Re the hiking, by now your body is used to using ketones. You should be ok but I would pack snacks in case you need to fuel up during your hike.
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:30 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
I would reduce my non natural food products to zero: no more bars and shakes. Also, CLA has been known to stall some people, so I would probably stop taking that too. For the rest, I don't think you need to worry about upping carbs when exercising!

I would also not eat peanuts. They are not a nut, they are a legume, and there are plenty of other nuts that are healthier and less carby should you really want to eat nuts. Be careful though, they still have carbs, and are easy to overeat!

Having cheat days will put you back a couple of days before you start burning fat again for fuel, so it is counterproductive.

I would stick to less than 20 carbs a day, coming from low carb vegetables and dairy.
Eat enough fat and protein to keep you satisfied.
Drink enough water to keep you hydrated. I find your intake quite low. Are you drinking other fluids?

female, 38y/o, 5'10"

my blog:
http://crazybeautyhealth.blogspot.de/

Last edited by Mimosa23; 09-11-2013 at 07:33 AM..
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:48 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Like I said My job has me traveling a lot. But even when I was at home and not eating the atkins shakes and quest bars I still wasn't losing. When I'm home I do eat more veggies and drink more water. I found these really awesome garlic peanuts that are so good. I maybe have 2-3 servings a week.
I had started the cheat meal on other peoples recommendation when I first slowed on my weight loss. They said I needed to restart the cycle. I an stop that though.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:52 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tinamanni
Stats: 250/192/150
WOE: 80% fat
Try going a week without the peanuts, shakes, bars and cheat days. see how that looks and post a menu. Also try less processed meat. For snacks try veg, boiled eggs, cheese and meats.
tinamanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:54 AM   #8
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
If you're controlling your carbs but not losing, it means that the amount you're eating is for maintenance rather than loss. To lose weight, there must be a caloric deficit. Often, as we lose, we 'close' that deficit, as the smaller body needs even less food.

As anyone knows who monitors calories, they add up fast, so you might want to track just to see your usual caloric level. If you don't lose at that level, it means that you need to cut back a little to create the deficit necessary for weight loss.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:29 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
As others have said, I'd dump the processed stuff and go to clean eating - protein, fats and vegies (if you want them).

At your current weight, you may find that occasional 'cheat' along with the peanuts (legumes) are enough to keep you from losing. It may be too many calories...which are important for many of us and usually important once you get down to your weight.

Then again, it could be that you're the weight you're supposed to be. Remember, the number on a scale is just that and doesn't have a whole lot to do with what we should actually weigh to be healthy.

I wouldn't add carbs for your hike, but I would take along something that packs fat and protein.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:12 AM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aomiel View Post
As others have said, I'd dump the processed stuff and go to clean eating - protein, fats and vegies (if you want them).

At your current weight, you may find that occasional 'cheat' along with the peanuts (legumes) are enough to keep you from losing. It may be too many calories...which are important for many of us and usually important once you get down to your weight.

Then again, it could be that you're the weight you're supposed to be. Remember, the number on a scale is just that and doesn't have a whole lot to do with what we should actually weigh to be healthy.

I wouldn't add carbs for your hike, but I would take along something that packs fat and protein.
This is the perfect opportunity to eat nuts--- almonds, macadamias, walnuts.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:36 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

I typically eat 900-1200 calories a day. And usually 50-80g fat. I was worried about not eating enough calories. I can't wait to be home where I have more food choices, but I ALWAYS carry a lunch box with me. I find it helps me stay on track.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:41 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Romy
Stats: 164/150.0/120-130
WOE: LC
Start Date: July1,2013
I was up 2 lbs yesterday and the culprits - more than usual of nuts and cheese on Saturday & Sunday. Monday, weight down, ate 20 n gr carbs then Tuesday up 2 lbs. The weight gain took 2 days to show up. The sodium in the nuts made me retain water. Today down 1.5.
I would give up bars and shakes, the nuts and cheese and deli meats unless they are from homemade roasts.
Romy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:08 AM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: ArdMaine
Stats: 6' 230/230/199
WOE: General low carb, less than 25gm carbs, whole food
Start Date: 6/15/14
What about going on a strict induction for two weeks and then increasing your carbs and working your way up the carb ladder as Dr. Atkin's suggests? It's worth a shot.
ArdMaine is offline   Reply With Quote