Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2013, 02:34 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LowCarbWannabe
Stats: 177.4/174.4/116 (5'1")
WOE: JUDDD
Not Counting Carbs on Low Carb Diet?

A few years ago I was on a candida diet which which was so strict that it couldn't help but be low carb. I basically ate meat, eggs, low carb veggies, herbs, & butter. I never had to count carbs and lost weight at a really good pace. I'm restarting a low carb diet, and I want to include dairy(cheese & heavy cream) into it this time. I really hate having to measure out portions and count carbs(calories, points, etc) and I'm wondering if adding in the dairy is going to make me have to start counting carbs. Is there anyone here who doesn't count carbs, and also includes dairy?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2013, 03:32 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MissBeeps
I log my food because it guarantees success for me (I log it BEFORE I eat it to make sure my macros stay right.) the only way to know if not measuring or logging works for you is to try it and see if your intuition is good enough to keep the carbs in check. You always change your methods if the results aren't what you're expecting.

Last edited by MissBeeps; 09-10-2013 at 03:34 PM..
MissBeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:37 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/129.6/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
I don't count carbs, but I eat only meat, eggs, and cheese and don't have a problem. I think if I was eating veggies I would have to keep track, but there's such a negligible amount in what I do eat, that I don't feel like I have to weigh everything and calculate it. The one thing that I am careful about though is that I don't go over 4 ounces a day on the cheese.
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:07 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Natalia
Stats: 190/174/125
WOE: VLC
Start Date: June 2013
If you know you're losing great w/o tracking and dairy is the only potential variable, why not just give yourself a daily dairy limit?
Start slow and add more until you slow losing.
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I keep my carbs below 20g per day, but I do not log or technically count my food. I know how much is in a serving, and I know how much I can eat of most things, so I eat using my eyes. I keep my veggies under three half cup servings per day, and my dairy (HWC and cheeses) at about three to four servings. I don't overeat protein, and I am liberal with fats. I do not count calories.

Every once in a while, like maybe once every three or four weeks, I'll weigh and log my food to make sure I'm not losing sight of things and that I'm eating about what I think I am.

Basically, I eat meats, very low carb veggies, eggs, dairy, and healthy fats. I only eat foods on the list of induction foods from Dr. Atkins' 2002 DANDR, Which also simplifies things.

This works for me, health and weight-wise. I'm losing, though not spectacularly quickly, but it's sustainable long term.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:44 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Some people don't count...some have to. If you can control them without counting and without letting them get out of hand, more power to you. If you find you can't, well then you'll have to count.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:46 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/190.8/160
WOE: Keto
I have to count, otherwise my carbs slowly creep up.. You'd be surprised how many carbs there are in things like garlic, tomatoes, and onions... And then there are carbs in eggs, cheese and other dairy products etc. etc.

I envy those who can lose and not have to count carbs. I am unfortunately not one of those people.
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:37 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
I don't really count carbs. I just know roughly what foods are high fat/moderate protein and low carb and live off of them. I don't eat many veggies anymore because they only contain carbs as an energy source although some do have protein. The veggies I tend to eat are VLC and high protein. I am not always sure they are classed as being veggies. The carbs I usually get are from dairy and nuts. I choose these foods because they are high in fat. Dairy products I tend to use a lot are sour cream, coffee cream (18%), and hard and soft cheeses. They are a fairly good source of fat with few carbs and some protein. I don't eat a lot of meat unless it has a high fat content, and I try to choose the lower carb nuts if possible. In pure form though, most nuts are pretty good. I can usually stay under 30g of carbs eating this way. I had more trouble when I included veggies though, it jacked up my carbs pretty quickly.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:22 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kittycatmom
Stats: 184/159/150
WOE: Low carb, high fat, moderate protein / gluten free
Start Date: August 2013
I log everything I eat on an app on my phone. I know myself, and it's too easy for me to let a little something slide and before you know it I'm taking way too many libertys with my plan.

I will say, though, I'm settling into a nice routine and almost without thinking am keeping my fats at around 75%, protein 15% and carbs 10% give or take a couple points.

I have a calorie goal of 1500 per day, and I never seem to get to that number, though. I average 1100--1350 on most days eating to satisfaction.

Tracking definitely helps me stay on track, and seeing the numbers in black and white reinforces that I'm on target.
Kittycatmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:18 AM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
I think if you used primarily high fat dairy, in modest portions, it could work.
Cheese, cream, butter, and a modest portion of a yogurt with a decently low carb count could work.
Milk, lots of low fat/reduced fat yogurt, too much cheese, etc. would slow me down for sure.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:05 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LowCarbWannabe
Stats: 177.4/174.4/116 (5'1")
WOE: JUDDD
Thanks for all of the replies. I think I'll try it out and see how it goes. When I did it before I usually only had 1 veggie at each meal. I also usually only ate two times per day because I just wasn't that hungry. I think I'll stick with this formula and see where it takes me.
LowCarbWannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:37 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
When seeking a specific carb like in induction or when in NK I count carbs because my goals were different. While losing , i did not count carbs nor calories when eating from induction list foods. I kinda got a sense of serving size and some days my carb counts were higher than others but all from induction lists so never excessive. When eating fruits or foods from higher carb fruits I Always counted them as they add up quickly. I maintained that way also though now still mainly stick to induction foods/veggies. I just moved out of maintaining NK though carbs generally low from sticking to these lists
Spanilingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:58 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Olive
WOE: <20 net carbs/day
Start Date: May 12 2014
I do an approximate carb count, but don't really measure my food (I should, though). What I do is round off all carb fraction counts do the nearest 0.5 -- 1.7 becomes 2, 2.3 becomes 2.5, and so on. It simplifies things and gives me some peace of mind about possibly underestimating carb counts.

Carb counting really beats calorie counting in my mind. Such a PIA.
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:19 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kaillean
Stats: 209.5/200.5/165
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 3, 2013
I do have to count, sadly, while I'm in weight loss mode. Not so much during pre-maintenance or maintenance.

Otherwise, my totals creep up without me knowing. A couple of extra cloves of garlic here, an extra cup of broccoli, too much cheese -- all legal stuff, but without closely watching I can find I've added an extra 5 or 10g of carbs over what I guesstimated.

Tracking keeps me honest.
Kaillean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:19 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Olive
WOE: <20 net carbs/day
Start Date: May 12 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaillean View Post
I do have to count, sadly, while I'm in weight loss mode. Not so much during pre-maintenance or maintenance.

Otherwise, my totals creep up without me knowing. A couple of extra cloves of garlic here, an extra cup of broccoli, too much cheese -- all legal stuff, but without closely watching I can find I've added an extra 5 or 10g of carbs over what I guesstimated.

Tracking keeps me honest.
I hate that garlic, onions and peppers have so many carbs.

Just sayin'.

Vegetables should have NO carbs.
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:21 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCWizard
Stats: No More Scale
WOE: No Sugar Added & Persistence
I don't cause I've been doing this so long now. When it comes to veggies, I just limit them to one meal a day. I'd like to get off them completely cause of stomach issues. But I'm not ready yet. I say, If you are new to LC you should measure a few things until you can just eyeball it.

Last edited by LCWizard; 09-11-2013 at 12:22 PM..
LCWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:25 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCWizard
Stats: No More Scale
WOE: No Sugar Added & Persistence
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtherGoos View Post
I don't count carbs, but I eat only meat, eggs, and cheese and don't have a problem. I think if I was eating veggies I would have to keep track, but there's such a negligible amount in what I do eat, that I don't feel like I have to weigh everything and calculate it. The one thing that I am careful about though is that I don't go over 4 ounces a day on the cheese.
Congrats on your weight loss. Amazes me what people can do in just 6 months!
LCWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:37 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/129.6/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCWizard View Post
Congrats on your weight loss. Amazes me what people can do in just 6 months!
Thank you!
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:12 PM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ueguy1985
Stats: 255/225/195
Start Date: 7/15/2013
I don't count carbs very closely

I just keep it simple. I do not eat grains, sugars, or potatoes. Those are pretty much my only rules while on this diet. I don't fret about vegetables, meats, fats, or even how many calories I'm taking in. I do try to use only animal fats except for olive oil. I really take it easy on the fake sweeteners, but occasionally have them. I don't even really limit dairy but it kind of gets limited naturally since I don't drink milk anyway. I have cottage cheese pretty frequently.
ueguy1985 is offline   Reply With Quote