LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2013, 01:01 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 175.8/163.4/140...47 years old
WOE: JUDDD/low carb
Start Date: Start date: January 1, 2014
I finally realized why......

I eat less on low carb, it's because I hate cooking so I reallllllly have to be hungry to eat. With my Weight Watchers days I could just pop a frozen dinner in the microwave and chow down 4 minutes later, or eat crackers or cereal or other nice high carb junk. With low carb it is a whole production to cook my meal so unless I just want a cheese stick or pepperoni I have to be really hungry. This is a very good thing! No more mindless eating.
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2013, 06:05 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Catzmom
Stats: 228/179/145
WOE: THM
Start Date: Half-hearted start 10/12 - Re-start July 25, 2013
Well, there's always the Atkins' frozen dinners!
Catzmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:14 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/206/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catzmom View Post
Well, there's always the Atkins' frozen dinners!
LOL, I was going to say the same thing.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:03 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jmc305
Stats: 323/220/205
WOE: Atkins mostly
Start Date: September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
I eat less on low carb, it's because I hate cooking so I reallllllly have to be hungry to eat. With my Weight Watchers days I could just pop a frozen dinner in the microwave and chow down 4 minutes later, or eat crackers or cereal or other nice high carb junk. With low carb it is a whole production to cook my meal so unless I just want a cheese stick or pepperoni I have to be really hungry. This is a very good thing! No more mindless eating.
This is the conundrum when it comes to low carb eating. Making almost EVERYTHING from scratch is a real drag. Most people, (myself included sometimes ) would rather crack open a bag of chips ahoy than to make cookies from scratch. It's the single biggest reason for cheating and lack of success for me. I know you can make double batches and freeze a lot of things, but it still takes a LOT of time to do this diet right- whole foods, no processed junk, etc. A lot of kitchen time and a lot of clean-up time and sometimes I just don't want to do it.
jmc305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:37 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Olive
WOE: Atkins DANDR
Start Date: April 10 2014
I hear what you guys are saying, but I think LC can be pretty convenient too, you just have to know what to do. Rotisserie chicken, cooked ribs, cabbage slaw, chicken caesar salad (toss the croutons), readymade guacamole and pico de gallo. Laziness has its limits, too. No one should be complaining about having to fry a burger for themselves.
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:51 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/204/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: Atkins 4/12 Nutritional Ketosis 1/13
I actually find that LC is easy in the kitchen. Unless you just totally enjoy making elaborate meals you can make anything in under 20 minutes. Food made from scratch just tastes better IMHO.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:05 AM   #7
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I have come to love to plan out and cook my foods to meet my requirements and many leave leftovers which can go for another 3 nights. This then becomes a case of a few minutes to reheat. A plate and fork left to wash and a satisfied and happy me. No convenience food ever gave me that great feeling.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:22 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/203.2/160
WOE: NK/ IF
Start Date: 2 January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
I have come to love to plan out and cook my foods to meet my requirements and many leave leftovers which can go for another 3 nights. This then becomes a case of a few minutes to reheat. A plate and fork left to wash and a satisfied and happy me. No convenience food ever gave me that great feeling.
We do this at home too. We always cook more than we will eat in one meal, and then use the leftovers to be either heated up again for another meal or eat them cold in a salad. This saves money and a lot of time.
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:10 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 175.8/163.4/140...47 years old
WOE: JUDDD/low carb
Start Date: Start date: January 1, 2014
Not lazy, just very busy. I'm going to start cooking up a bunch of chicken and ground beef on Sundays so I have faster meals during the week (taco-less taco salad, chicken wings or drumsticks, Ceasar salad etc...). I may buy some of the Atkins frozen meals for a very busy day. I have been resorting to grabbing a couple plain double cheeseburgers at Mc D's lately so I'm not tempted to snarf down on crackers while playing mom's taxi service.
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:08 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
Not lazy, just very busy. I'm going to start cooking up a bunch of chicken and ground beef on Sundays so I have faster meals during the week (taco-less taco salad, chicken wings or drumsticks, Ceasar salad etc...). I may buy some of the Atkins frozen meals for a very busy day. I have been resorting to grabbing a couple plain double cheeseburgers at Mc D's lately so I'm not tempted to snarf down on crackers while playing mom's taxi service.
I didn't mean that you were lazy of course I'm really busy too but fortunate to have a lot of help around the house. You just made me crave taco-less salad
Old 09-11-2013, 12:07 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kaillean
Stats: 209.5/200.5/165
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 3, 2013
Everybody's busy. I work at home (full-time job) and have two young kids-- three if you count my husband (which I do).

You just have to make it a priority. And like Olive says, you can still find LC convenience foods - we all have days or weeks when we're feeling "lazy." Last week, I paid $1 extra for a bag of clean, trimmed celery instead of washing it myself like I usually do. Bought a big jar of peeled garlic to save that little bit of work chopping. And a huge tub of washed spring greens instead of cleaning lettuce.

I use rotisserie chickens when I can't be fussed with remembering to get a fresh one in the oven in time, etc. You can buy a big tub of plain, full fat yogurt for morning smoothies, if you're farther along in your plan.

My staple breakfast for months last time was 3 strips of pre-cooked bacon, and a smoothie from 5 frozen strawberries, 1 scoop Designer Whey, ice, 1/2 c plain ff yogurt.

I spend no more than 3 hours total one day (usually a weekend) preparing for the week. This includes grocery shopping for meat, veggies, eggs, etc. Then I go home and wash all the veggies and cut them into smaller pieces ready to grab on the go.

I always cook more than what I need for one meal so lunch the next day is taken care of with leftover meat and veg, or leftover meat I can use with a salad.

You can precook a week's worth of bacon, sausages or whatever. I toss mine on a plate in the oven while I get dressed, etc, and then they're warmed and ready to eat when it's time for breakfast. Or nuke it.

It's funny - I had been HATING shopping and cooking the last year or so. I've been eating really poorly - which usually means vast quantities of HC crap. This means I'm never satisfied and always in search of more food - often not even hungry at mealtimes.

I'm having so much fun being back on LC, and eating fresh, tasty food prepared simply with the best ingredients I can afford that week.

And I'm spending less time overall because I no longer have daily trips to the store looking for something to finally satisfy. I'm planning ahead for the week and it's pretty simple to grill some meat and steam some veggies or make a salad. A little sauce or dressing for flavor and fat and you're good to go.

Hope that helps. I get into cooking slumps and they suck - so it must really suck to hate cooking completely.

Mini goal: Onederland by October 1
Kaillean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:11 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCWizard
Stats: No More Scale
WOE: No Sugar Added & Persistence
I would say the opposite. Having to cook so much is certainly one reason I fell off LC. I have to be prepared or I'll turn to the crackers, bread, or yucky fast food.
LCWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:16 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaillean View Post
Everybody's busy. I work at home (full-time job) and have two young kids-- three if you count my husband (which I do).

You just have to make it a priority. And like Olive says, you can still find LC convenience foods - we all have days or weeks when we're feeling "lazy." Last week, I paid $1 extra for a bag of clean, trimmed celery instead of washing it myself like I usually do. Bought a big jar of peeled garlic to save that little bit of work chopping. And a huge tub of washed spring greens instead of cleaning lettuce.

I use rotisserie chickens when I can't be fussed with remembering to get a fresh one in the oven in time, etc. You can buy a big tub of plain, full fat yogurt for morning smoothies, if you're farther along in your plan.

My staple breakfast for months last time was 3 strips of pre-cooked bacon, and a smoothie from 5 frozen strawberries, 1 scoop Designer Whey, ice, 1/2 c plain ff yogurt.

I spend no more than 3 hours total one day (usually a weekend) preparing for the week. This includes grocery shopping for meat, veggies, eggs, etc. Then I go home and wash all the veggies and cut them into smaller pieces ready to grab on the go.

I always cook more than what I need for one meal so lunch the next day is taken care of with leftover meat and veg, or leftover meat I can use with a salad.

You can precook a week's worth of bacon, sausages or whatever. I toss mine on a plate in the oven while I get dressed, etc, and then they're warmed and ready to eat when it's time for breakfast. Or nuke it.

It's funny - I had been HATING shopping and cooking the last year or so. I've been eating really poorly - which usually means vast quantities of HC crap. This means I'm never satisfied and always in search of more food - often not even hungry at mealtimes.

I'm having so much fun being back on LC, and eating fresh, tasty food prepared simply with the best ingredients I can afford that week.

And I'm spending less time overall because I no longer have daily trips to the store looking for something to finally satisfy. I'm planning ahead for the week and it's pretty simple to grill some meat and steam some veggies or make a salad. A little sauce or dressing for flavor and fat and you're good to go.

Hope that helps. I get into cooking slumps and they suck - so it must really suck to hate cooking completely.
I so agree. Even though convenience LC foods are often more expensive, it's so worth it. No better investment than health on this earth.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:57 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
Eggs. Almost a covience food!

Hard boil a dozen and there is almost always something for me to eat . And they are portable.
Spanilingo is online now   Reply With Quote