Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   I finally realized why...... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/811896-i-finally-realized-why.html)

Becky 09-10-2013 01:01 PM

I finally realized why......

I eat less on low carb, it's because I hate cooking so I reallllllly have to be hungry to eat. With my Weight Watchers days I could just pop a frozen dinner in the microwave and chow down 4 minutes later, or eat crackers or cereal or other nice high carb junk. With low carb it is a whole production to cook my meal so unless I just want a cheese stick or pepperoni I have to be really hungry. This is a very good thing! No more mindless eating. :clap:

Catzmom 09-10-2013 06:05 PM

Well, there's always the Atkins' frozen dinners! :)

Mistizoom 09-10-2013 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catzmom (Post 16598889)
Well, there's always the Atkins' frozen dinners! :)

LOL, I was going to say the same thing.

jmc305 09-10-2013 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky (Post 16598454)
I eat less on low carb, it's because I hate cooking so I reallllllly have to be hungry to eat. With my Weight Watchers days I could just pop a frozen dinner in the microwave and chow down 4 minutes later, or eat crackers or cereal or other nice high carb junk. With low carb it is a whole production to cook my meal so unless I just want a cheese stick or pepperoni I have to be really hungry. This is a very good thing! No more mindless eating. :clap:

This is the conundrum when it comes to low carb eating. Making almost EVERYTHING from scratch is a real drag. Most people, (myself included sometimes :o ) would rather crack open a bag of chips ahoy than to make cookies from scratch. It's the single biggest reason for cheating and lack of success for me. I know you can make double batches and freeze a lot of things, but it still takes a LOT of time to do this diet right- whole foods, no processed junk, etc. A lot of kitchen time and a lot of clean-up time and sometimes I just don't want to do it.

Olive 09-10-2013 07:37 PM

I hear what you guys are saying, but I think LC can be pretty convenient too, you just have to know what to do. Rotisserie chicken, cooked ribs, cabbage slaw, chicken caesar salad (toss the croutons), readymade guacamole and pico de gallo. Laziness has its limits, too. No one should be complaining about having to fry a burger for themselves. :)

cfine 09-11-2013 04:51 AM

I actually find that LC is easy in the kitchen. Unless you just totally enjoy making elaborate meals you can make anything in under 20 minutes. Food made from scratch just tastes better IMHO.

clackley 09-11-2013 05:05 AM

I have come to love to plan out and cook my foods to meet my requirements and many leave leftovers which can go for another 3 nights. This then becomes a case of a few minutes to reheat. A plate and fork left to wash and a satisfied and happy me. No convenience food ever gave me that great feeling.

Mimosa23 09-11-2013 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clackley (Post 16599252)
I have come to love to plan out and cook my foods to meet my requirements and many leave leftovers which can go for another 3 nights. This then becomes a case of a few minutes to reheat. A plate and fork left to wash and a satisfied and happy me. No convenience food ever gave me that great feeling.

We do this at home too. We always cook more than we will eat in one meal, and then use the leftovers to be either heated up again for another meal or eat them cold in a salad. This saves money and a lot of time.

Becky 09-11-2013 07:10 AM

Not lazy, just very busy. I'm going to start cooking up a bunch of chicken and ground beef on Sundays so I have faster meals during the week (taco-less taco salad, chicken wings or drumsticks, Ceasar salad etc...). I may buy some of the Atkins frozen meals for a very busy day. I have been resorting to grabbing a couple plain double cheeseburgers at Mc D's lately so I'm not tempted to snarf down on crackers while playing mom's taxi service.

Olive 09-11-2013 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky (Post 16599476)
Not lazy, just very busy. I'm going to start cooking up a bunch of chicken and ground beef on Sundays so I have faster meals during the week (taco-less taco salad, chicken wings or drumsticks, Ceasar salad etc...). I may buy some of the Atkins frozen meals for a very busy day. I have been resorting to grabbing a couple plain double cheeseburgers at Mc D's lately so I'm not tempted to snarf down on crackers while playing mom's taxi service.

I didn't mean that you were lazy of course :) I'm really busy too but fortunate to have a lot of help around the house. You just made me crave taco-less salad :)

Kaillean 09-11-2013 12:07 PM

Everybody's busy. I work at home (full-time job) and have two young kids-- three if you count my husband (which I do). :hyst:

You just have to make it a priority. And like Olive says, you can still find LC convenience foods - we all have days or weeks when we're feeling "lazy." Last week, I paid $1 extra for a bag of clean, trimmed celery instead of washing it myself like I usually do. Bought a big jar of peeled garlic to save that little bit of work chopping. And a huge tub of washed spring greens instead of cleaning lettuce.

I use rotisserie chickens when I can't be fussed with remembering to get a fresh one in the oven in time, etc. You can buy a big tub of plain, full fat yogurt for morning smoothies, if you're farther along in your plan.

My staple breakfast for months last time was 3 strips of pre-cooked bacon, and a smoothie from 5 frozen strawberries, 1 scoop Designer Whey, ice, 1/2 c plain ff yogurt.

I spend no more than 3 hours total one day (usually a weekend) preparing for the week. This includes grocery shopping for meat, veggies, eggs, etc. Then I go home and wash all the veggies and cut them into smaller pieces ready to grab on the go.

I always cook more than what I need for one meal so lunch the next day is taken care of with leftover meat and veg, or leftover meat I can use with a salad.

You can precook a week's worth of bacon, sausages or whatever. I toss mine on a plate in the oven while I get dressed, etc, and then they're warmed and ready to eat when it's time for breakfast. Or nuke it.

It's funny - I had been HATING shopping and cooking the last year or so. I've been eating really poorly - which usually means vast quantities of HC crap. This means I'm never satisfied and always in search of more food - often not even hungry at mealtimes.

I'm having so much fun being back on LC, and eating fresh, tasty food prepared simply with the best ingredients I can afford that week.

And I'm spending less time overall because I no longer have daily trips to the store looking for something to finally satisfy. I'm planning ahead for the week and it's pretty simple to grill some meat and steam some veggies or make a salad. A little sauce or dressing for flavor and fat and you're good to go.

Hope that helps. I get into cooking slumps and they suck - so it must really suck to hate cooking completely.

LCWizard 09-11-2013 12:11 PM

I would say the opposite. Having to cook so much is certainly one reason I fell off LC. I have to be prepared or I'll turn to the crackers, bread, or yucky fast food.

Olive 09-11-2013 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaillean (Post 16599989)
Everybody's busy. I work at home (full-time job) and have two young kids-- three if you count my husband (which I do). :hyst:

You just have to make it a priority. And like Olive says, you can still find LC convenience foods - we all have days or weeks when we're feeling "lazy." Last week, I paid $1 extra for a bag of clean, trimmed celery instead of washing it myself like I usually do. Bought a big jar of peeled garlic to save that little bit of work chopping. And a huge tub of washed spring greens instead of cleaning lettuce.

I use rotisserie chickens when I can't be fussed with remembering to get a fresh one in the oven in time, etc. You can buy a big tub of plain, full fat yogurt for morning smoothies, if you're farther along in your plan.

My staple breakfast for months last time was 3 strips of pre-cooked bacon, and a smoothie from 5 frozen strawberries, 1 scoop Designer Whey, ice, 1/2 c plain ff yogurt.

I spend no more than 3 hours total one day (usually a weekend) preparing for the week. This includes grocery shopping for meat, veggies, eggs, etc. Then I go home and wash all the veggies and cut them into smaller pieces ready to grab on the go.

I always cook more than what I need for one meal so lunch the next day is taken care of with leftover meat and veg, or leftover meat I can use with a salad.

You can precook a week's worth of bacon, sausages or whatever. I toss mine on a plate in the oven while I get dressed, etc, and then they're warmed and ready to eat when it's time for breakfast. Or nuke it.

It's funny - I had been HATING shopping and cooking the last year or so. I've been eating really poorly - which usually means vast quantities of HC crap. This means I'm never satisfied and always in search of more food - often not even hungry at mealtimes.

I'm having so much fun being back on LC, and eating fresh, tasty food prepared simply with the best ingredients I can afford that week.

And I'm spending less time overall because I no longer have daily trips to the store looking for something to finally satisfy. I'm planning ahead for the week and it's pretty simple to grill some meat and steam some veggies or make a salad. A little sauce or dressing for flavor and fat and you're good to go.

Hope that helps. I get into cooking slumps and they suck - so it must really suck to hate cooking completely.

I so agree. Even though convenience LC foods are often more expensive, it's so worth it. No better investment than health on this earth.

Spanilingo 09-12-2013 05:57 AM

Eggs. Almost a covience food!

Hard boil a dozen and there is almost always something for me to eat . And they are portable.