Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   eating all carbs-but limit to them (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/811891-eating-all-carbs-but-limit-them.html)

sweepthefloor 09-10-2013 08:59 AM

eating all carbs-but limit to them

Say, I was wondering if I kept my carb intake to 100-120 per day and ate any foods, but kept the carb intake in check within that range. Would I lose weight?

Has anyone else done that and it worked?

Thanks,

sweep

Dottie 09-10-2013 09:03 AM

That's going to be very individual.
Have you tried weight watchers? Their tracking program and set limits might be somethig that works for you :)

Aomiel 09-10-2013 12:40 PM

The ADA's diet is a calorie controlled, low fat, low carb (sort of at 140gm per day).

My guess is you'll have to watch your calories on this because it really isn't low carb and you may even have a problem with the higher fat of a typical low carb diet...since 140gm is still high.

As Dottie said, you might try WW as they have a lower carb WOE with the points/calories all calculated out.

Trigger828 09-10-2013 12:54 PM

It works for me. I can do it. I can go into moderate carb BUT I then have to watch calories also. the more carbs I allow myself, the more I have to watch total calories for the day. if I eat very low carb, I can go a bit higher in calories and lose weight.

ravenrose 09-10-2013 01:37 PM

yes, that's pretty much a standard low calorie diet, right? you just can't eat much fat with that.

Janknitz 09-10-2013 01:45 PM

When I was younger, I did a low carb diet that way BUT limited my carbs to about 30 a day. I lost weight like a house afire, and I ate all sorts of carby junk, but just small portions that I carefully counted into my daily limit.

As an older, premenopausal woman that does NOT work. And the stuff I ate back then was pretty terrible. I now eat a clean paleo style low carb diet, still limiting to 30 carbs. I never did Atkins induction or carb ladders, I just eat veggies, meat, fat, and occasionally a higher carb fruit or the rare bite or two of something carby.

100-120 g/day is not low carb. It's lower carb than SAD, and that alone may help you. But if it doesn't work, don't blame low carb, because it's not low carb.

Spanilingo 09-10-2013 01:51 PM

Yes. You will need to watch the calories instead of low carb reducing them for you. Make no mistake , on LC ketogenic diet you are also reducing your calories BUT your body kind of does that automatically by reducing your hunger.

shapeup1 09-10-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweepthefloor (Post 16598067)
Say, I was wondering if I kept my carb intake to 100-120 per day and ate any foods, but kept the carb intake in check within that range. Would I lose weight?

Thanks,

sweep

Has worked for me, most carbs were from salad and vegetables, but in the morning I had 1 once of dry oatmeal and a fruit with my yogurt. Don't know if it will work if the carbs were all starches, sugar or chips. I'm trying to keep out addictive food from my diet.

E.W. 09-11-2013 04:42 AM

Yea it will work just look at the old Rice Diet. But for a most of us a high
carb diet just keeps us real hungry. Besides most of the newer studies point
to a high carb diet causing more heart disease than a low carb diet.

sweepthefloor 09-11-2013 06:27 AM

Well, today I am going to track and see just how many carbs I actually eat. I have Rose Elliot's low carb vegetarian book, along with some other low carb books. I do have the information on the counts. Till I get the hang of it, my face is going to be in books.

For breakfast I had two eggs fried, 1/2 cup zucchini sauteed, and one slice high fiber bread. The carb count was 8.4. How was that?

Thanks for all the help.

emel 09-11-2013 07:13 AM

Quote:

Thanks,

sweep

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweepthefloor (Post 16599402)
Well, today I am going to track and see just how many carbs I actually eat. I have Rose Elliot's low carb vegetarian book, along with some other low carb books. I do have the information on the counts. Till I get the hang of it, my face is going to be in books.

For breakfast I had two eggs fried, 1/2 cup zucchini sauteed, and one slice high fiber bread. The carb count was 8.4. How was that?

Thanks for all the help.

Okay. I'm confused now. In your first post you were saying you were considering keeping your carb count to 100 or 120 per day. DId you mean 100-120 calories from carbs, or 100 to 120 grams of carbs per day, which would be 400 to 480 calories from carbs?
Since your second post lists a low carb breakfast and your first post suggested that you were looking into a moderate carb plan, I don't quite know what you're going for.

Could you give us examples of some of the foods you want to eat throughout the day on your plan?

sweepthefloor 09-11-2013 07:41 AM

Sorry to be confusing. It's 100-120 grams of carbs per day.

Foods that I would like to include are potatoes, high fiber bread, some fruit, legumes.

I have tried going low carb and just buckled doing it. I thought that maybe going this route would still allow me to have my carbs and lose weight. I'm willing to try this and see what happens.

In looking over my notes from times past, I was up to 168 and have lost weight over the time, but it has been super slow. One month I only lost 5 pounds, and that was being vegan. Hard to do all the time. And with very little fat, again boring.

That is where I am coming from folks.

Mimosa23 09-11-2013 07:48 AM

IMO, I think you have to choose either going lower calorie and eat the foods you want to eat like potatoes and legumes and bread or go low carb and leave those foods out.

Why did LC not work? Were you feeling bad for long periods of time?

I don't think you can lose weight by doing both at the same time.

emel 09-11-2013 08:08 AM

Thanks for the clarification.

I don't think the plan you are describing will give you the benefits of a low carb plan (decreased appetite, losing the bloat from carb digestion, and the ability to burn fat for fuel in the absence of carbs and possibly weight loss on higher calories than on a conventional plan).
If it was me, I'd have to be pretty serious about the portion control, and it would probably have to be lower fat. You also would not get the benefit of being able to metabolize saturated fats as low carbers can do, so you'd have to watch your dietary saturated fat, and also your sodium.

Sorry to sound negative. There isn't anything evil about what you're planning...it just isn't low carb. The atkins official site has a page on vegetarian eating. Google "atkins for vegetarians" to get an idea of how a lower carb plan might work.

Ntombi 09-11-2013 08:51 AM

Look into South Beach. It's lower carb but not ketogenic (meaning its aim isn't for folks to be in ketosis), so it's also lower fat to hold calories down. Some people love it and have great success with it.

sweepthefloor 09-11-2013 10:32 AM

mimosa23, Doing low carb was hard for me as I liked having my starches. I could do a few days, then just give in. I seem to be like that with any plan, do good for so long and quit.

emel, will check out the veg option.

ntombi, and will look at south beach, have that book too.

Thanks all,

sweep

Ntombi 09-11-2013 10:34 AM

If this is a pattern with you, I'd spend some time thinking about your food preferences, eating habits, and how different foods make your body feel, then decide on a plan that you can live with long term.

sweepthefloor 09-11-2013 10:41 AM

I do feel better with eating more carbs. When I eat dairy (cheese) or high fat foods, it does not agree with my belly too much. Like if I were to eat a high fat meal, I would not dare to go far from home. Wondering if I didn't need to find a bathroom.

So, guess way low fat and sticking with my carbs. WW, maybe will do me.

Just tired of bouncing around in my head what I should do. Every body is different. Go with makes me feel good. If it's only 5 pounds a month, at least it's not a gain.

sweep

jmc305 09-12-2013 09:31 AM

If I was eating "whatever I wanted" I.E. not on a diet, I could see myself EASILY eating 300+ grams of carbs a day. :stars: So I can definitely see how 100-120ish would be a VAST improvement over the SAD.

Every person is different. A lot of people complain about peanut butter or heavy cream stalling them. Well, I can eat them just fine. I will also have a big bowl of white beans with my pulled pork or roast beef, and I can tolerate that as well.

So, I'd say your plan has potential, for sure. It will depend on your body and metabolism though and you might have to do a lot of tweaking. But if it makes you happy and you can stick with it long term, that's the most important thing. Would you rather lose 10 pounds a month, but flame out after 2 months, or lose 4 pounds a month steadily until you hit your goal? I would go with whatever works and makes you happy. :)

PS- I have the same problem with fats and immediately needing a bathroom. It was my gallbladder, so you might want to look into that. They sometimes just "die" on you and have to be removed. :dunno:

Josh1234 09-12-2013 09:36 AM

Quote:

Thanks,

sweep

Yep. I am doing a lower-carb way of eating. I tossed the bad carbs - sugary foods, pancakes, waffles, sweet rolls, etc. - and kept things like veggies, some fruit, and beans. It has worked well.

Honestly, I think ditching the added sugar food is responsible for 75% of my weight loss.

N=1, try it and see what works for you.