Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Transitioning back to low-carb after paleo (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/811883-transitioning-back-low-carb-after-paleo.html)

MLE777 09-10-2013 06:35 AM

Transitioning back to low-carb after paleo

About four years ago I started eating low-carb (well moderate low-carb) and was able to drop from 146 to 122 in about 6 months. I didn't do a specific plan, I just read lots of information on LCF and took what I thought I could stick with long-term and turned it into my own plan. I was easily maintaining when I discovered paleo and decided to switch to it. Despite thinking that paleo was a perfect fit, paleo ended up being a bit of an issue.

There were many times where if there wasn't paleo food available or there wasn't any paleo food that I was in the mood for, I just wouldn't eat. My calories started to drop lower and lower as I was restricting more and more food and my thyroid ended up crashing. At one point I thought my thyroid crashed due to low-carb, but it ended up being because I had an active lifestyle and super low calories and my poor body just couldn't keep up. Soon after the crash, I discovered Paleo treats. Paleo treats at times led to non-Paleo treats.

Eventually, I moved into cycles of severely restricting followed by crazy indulgences. Throughout this cycle (and the thyroid crashing), I've managed to go back up to 142, so I've gained 20 pounds back. I want to transition back to low-carb and try to drop the paleo mindset.

Here's where I need some help. I can't do dairy b/c I'm allergic. Due to Paleo, I can't tolerate gluten or artificial sweeteners anymore because they make me very sick to my stomach. I have my old menus, but they don't fit as well anymore because of the gluten/artificial sweetener thing, so I'm needing some example menus to get me back on track. I hate that I'm here again.

I'm thankful to Paleo because honestly, I don't think the artificial sweeteners or the gluten are good for us, so I was able to get those out of my system. As for me adding in the paleo treats and other sugar back in, that was my fault, not paleo. Sugar and I just don't mix. The sooner I realize that, the better :(

buttoni 09-10-2013 08:32 AM

I tried Paleo for about 4-5 months. I gained eating the natural sweeteners and fruit. Of course, nobody makes you eat those on Paleo, but it was so liberating after 4 years of low-carb, I indulged in those too often. Gained 10# over that time period. Still struggling to get it off. Now I'm eating low-carb with a Primal bent. I allow myself dairy, as I have no dairy issues, but I eat no wheat, soy and very rarely, peanuts and legumes.

MLE777 09-10-2013 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buttoni (Post 16598021)
I tried Paleo for about 4-5 months. I gained eating the natural sweeteners and fruit. Of course, nobody makes you eat those on Paleo, but it was so liberating after 4 years of low-carb, I indulged in those too often. Gained 10# over that time period. Still struggling to get it off. Now I'm eating low-carb with a Primal bent. I allow myself dairy, as I have no dairy issues, but I eat no wheat, soy and very rarely, peanuts and legumes.

Thank you! I appreciate your input. Like you, no one made me eat the treats, but once I started having them, the sugar monster took hold and I just couldn't pull myself out of it. I think I'll probably have to stick to low-carb permanently in order to remain in control of my sugar issues.

cfine 09-10-2013 09:21 AM

A lot of us here eat low carb with a focus toward paleo/primal. Since you can't eat dairy a good substitute would be coconut cream/milk and is a great way to get your fat intake up. Liquid stevia or erithyritol are two great natural sweeteners you could use. Almond/coconut flour are both LC. I have actually read some stuff on paleo and its very easy to eat LC and eat paleo simultaneously.