LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2013, 12:12 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Changeling
WOE: Low carb & lifting weights & HIIT
Start Date: 23 July 2013
I need to simplify my daytime eating

I was wondering if anyone else could relate to this:

I've been doing well by staying on plan, but I'm finding that, as a real "foodie", my meals are becoming a bit elaborate - which means a little carb creep (all the sauces and mayo and grated cheese and cream etc) and also, it's taking too much of my time, attention and focus to prepare and eat them every day. I don't want to spend that much head time on food, I think that's part of my problem with food, being too enamoured with it!

I still want to prepare and enjoy a delicious LC meal with my husband in the evenings, but I want to simplify things during the day to curb my food obsession, even if it is LC. I think it's necessary.

What can you suggest?

I was thinking a slice of cheese and butter for breakfast with a cup of bullet proof coffee, and perhaps boiled eggs with mayo and another bullet proof coffee for lunch? I don't enjoy the cheese & butter and eggs & mayo enough to overeat them, they would just be consumed as fuel and I know from experience that they are good high fat foods for me to keep my mind off food.

Can anyone give me theit own advice or suggestions, please?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2013, 01:57 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Just a suggestion that can be made up ahead of time. My Mom (92) and I have been having some meat roll-up's lately. Either sliced ham, turkey or roast beef. I make up a concoction of cream cheese, a little horseradish (probably a tablespoon for 8 oz. of cream cheese) and some Italian seasoning then slather some across the meat and roll up. We actually had this for breakfast today with roast beef and it was really good. It's filling too.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:31 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
I would not be happy eating those foods. I have to enjoy my meals. I love burgers on the grill. So, I do look forward to every meal.
suzanneyea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:03 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
I'm a funny person in that I am low carb but also have a lot of food sensitivities which is one of the reasons I am low carb. I pretty much have to make everything from scratch. I sort of process my own food and freeze it. So I make up a big batch of nut butter and then freeze it in smaller jars so I have individual servings of a week's supply. Our dinners are usually crock pot roasts which take almost no time to prepare. And then I take the leftovers and turn them into other meals. I have premade spice mixtures that I just shake to sour cream to make a sauce or dressing. Also I eat as much as I used to which helps. I stopped thinking of my meals as "meals" more like nutrition breaks. Where I would do something like what you are thinking of. A snack to provide my body with some fuel but it isn't a time to gorge out. One of my challenges was always dinner because my husband eats a huge dinner. I would eat almost the same, the difference is that he only ate once or twice a day, that is how I put on so much weight. I need to eat more than two meals a day. At least that is true right now. I would like to change that, but right now it isn't possible with the nuances of my metabolism.

Anyways, hope some of that helps.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:12 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Breakfasts--- I like bacon and eggs for breakfast, but sometimes I pick a quicker one. A lot of times, these are made up the night before, when I'm prepping dinner.
devilled eggs
cold leftover meat or chicken thigh
crustless quiche or frittata
burger patty, alone or with an egg on top
tuna or chicken salad
cottage cheese

Lunch for me is often either a salad or a plate of raw veggies, with cold meat, cheese, maybe a few walnuts, avocado, etc. A scoop of tuna, chicken salad, or cottage cheese is nice on the salad. I also like egg, deli ham, and mozzerella on it.
Other times I'll have soup with a piece of cold meat on the side, or I'll polish off last night's cooked meat and veggie leftovers.

At the very least, the lettuce is already prepped out. I use a tupperware Thatsa Bowl, and it keeps lettuce fresh for several days. Recently I've started making salads in mason jars. They keep for several days as long as I don't put tomato in them.

And then for dinners, sometimes it's plain and simple, and sometimes it's more involved. I cook extra when it's something that will hold well for leftovers.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:24 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FitMommyNow
Stats: 280/235/160
WOE: No Sugar, No Grains, No Dairy, No Nuts
Tuna salad or leftover hamburger patties with a little salad is what I've been doing for lunch. That or plain scrambled eggs.
FitMommyNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:27 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gabby1
Stats: 220/192/170 5'9" 47yo
WOE: Gentle Low Carb
Start Date: 6/22/2012
I think I know what you mean, Changeling.

What if on Sunday or Saturday you make a weekly quiche to have for breakfast?
Nothing too difficult- just put some cheese and a veg in there, cut it into slices and eat one wedge per day. Done. No more thinking or preparing necessary.

Lunch could be same principle. A crockpot meal or casserole that includes some protein and veg that you can scoop out for your lunch every day of the week. You could add some pre-portioned olives or nuts, hard boiled egg, etc to your lunch bag for snacks.

In this way, your cooking energies can be saved for your evening meal w your spouse. You will spend a modicum of energy on the weekends planning your breakfast and lunch dishes but if you are a foodie, I think the " two hard boiled eggs and celery sticks" routine would make you sad within a few days- it would me!

Gabby

Last edited by Gabby1; 09-10-2013 at 04:28 AM..
Gabby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:47 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kaillean
Stats: 209.5/200.5/165
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 3, 2013
Rather than sacrificing tastiness, I would spend one day indulging your love of cooking and prepare meals for the rest of the week that you can easily grab.

I prepare a variety of salad veggies on the weekend, so they're all washed and ready to go in small portion sizes. Then I just grab a couple of handfuls of lettuce and a handful of veggies, and chop em up and eat them with whatever meat is leftover from the previous night. (I always try to cook more than we'll eat in one meal). Or you can have a can of tuna with it or some hard boiled eggs.

Drizzle on some olive oil and a splash of lemon or your choice dressing and you have a yummy meal.

I'd much rather eat real food than just butter or a fat bomb or something. To me, that's the joy of this WOE - delicious, yummy food with no need to ever be hungry and no weird gimmicks.

Mini goal: Onederland by October 1

Last edited by Kaillean; 09-10-2013 at 10:48 AM..
Kaillean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:53 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Skinny Train
I prefer simple daytime fare. I have two small children at home and those little boogers are time-consuming. LOL! I like cheese, pepperoni, and the like. I don't eat a lot of pickles and such because things that savory trigger cravings for something sweet. Pumped up coffee is good too...I use cream or whatever. I may even start putting some protein powder in it at least once a day. I like protein shakes too. Way too yuck to overdo those. Those things are my favorite low-carb staples. I save cooked meat and veggies for supper. I don't have time to fool with such during the day. Ever. Whether I'm low-carbing or not.
Skinny Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:37 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
I tend to keep my weekday meals simple and *if* I get fancy, I'll save it for the weekend. Breakfast is usually bacon and eggs or BPC, lunch is usually a romaine salad with 3-4 oz of protein and full fat dressing and dinner 4 oz of protein and maybe a small romaine salad. Otherwise, I tend to get carb creep and cravings.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:34 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Fantastic feedback, thank you all very much. You've talked me out of cheese and butter for breakfast LOL (thanks for that, I was kinda dreading it...!!!) in favour of, as Kaillean said, "real food" and I've got some really handy ideas now.

Quick salads with preprepped salad ingredients and boiled egg/tuna/leftover meat.
A huge quiche portioned into slices.
Roast beef and cream cheese roll-ups.

Thanks xxx
Changeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kaillean
Stats: 209.5/200.5/165
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 3, 2013
I hope we didn't talk you out of butter and cheese -- LOL. I love butter and use it liberally. I just don't eat it as a meal.

Cheese, too, is fine. Can be important part of a quick meal. Just watch the carbs!!

I think I know what you mean. Just didn't want anyone to think we were advocating low fat or something.
Kaillean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:30 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TooSweetForMe
Stats: 178/178/150
WOE: lower carb / type 2 diabetic
Start Date: September 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Changeling View Post
was thinking a slice of cheese and butter for breakfast with a cup of bullet proof coffee, and perhaps boiled eggs with mayo and another bullet proof coffee for lunch?
Changeling, unfortunately I don't have any suggestions for you as I am just starting to really get into the lower-carb way of eating. I just have a question - what exactly is this bullet proof coffee you are talking about? I have never even heard of it.

Thank you so much for answering my question.
TooSweetForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:44 PM   #14
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/206/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I got so sick and tired of food and food prep and food packing to eat at work that I took up intermittent fasting. I am so busy all day that I barely have time to think about food anyway so I just quit. I skip breakfast and lunch, have a snack when I get home then a big dinner.

On the weekends I eat a late breakfast/lunch then dinner.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:21 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCWizard
Stats: No More Scale
WOE: No Sugar Added & Persistence
Quote:
Originally Posted by watcher513 View Post
Just a suggestion that can be made up ahead of time. My Mom (92) and I have been having some meat roll-up's lately. Either sliced ham, turkey or roast beef. I make up a concoction of cream cheese, a little horseradish (probably a tablespoon for 8 oz. of cream cheese) and some Italian seasoning then slather some across the meat and roll up. We actually had this for breakfast today with roast beef and it was really good. It's filling too.
I just might try that cream cheese mixture.
LCWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:31 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shipshemom
Stats: 131/110 (5'0)
WOE: VLC/Maintenance
Start Date: Jan., 2011
For lunch I fix chicken breasts or hamburgers on my indoor grill, then add some cooked veggies w/ it like broccoli, green beans, etc. Very satisfying hot meal w/ variety by changing the meat & veggies. I cook the meat ahead of time, then assemble the night before & warm it up at work.
shipshemom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:25 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
I got so sick and tired of food and food prep and food packing to eat at work that I took up intermittent fasting. I am so busy all day that I barely have time to think about food anyway so I just quit. I skip breakfast and lunch, have a snack when I get home then a big dinner.

Are you losing weight that way?
Old 09-12-2013, 12:27 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSweetForMe View Post
Changeling, unfortunately I don't have any suggestions for you as I am just starting to really get into the lower-carb way of eating. I just have a question - what exactly is this bullet proof coffee you are talking about? I have never even heard of it.

Thank you so much for answering my question.
It seems to mean different things to different people, but for me it is coffee with cream, sweetener and coconut oil whizzed up in the blender. You won't believe how nice it is and it really does fill you up. Try it, even if it sounds weird to you, just try it!
Old 09-12-2013, 05:19 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post

I sometimes wish I could do some IF days, but with being on insulin I really don't think it would work for me.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:21 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
It seems to mean different things to different people, but for me it is coffee with cream, sweetener and coconut oil whizzed up in the blender. You won't believe how nice it is and it really does fill you up. Try it, even if it sounds weird to you, just try it!
I Googled it last night during one of my not-sleeping-well periods last night. I will think about it but not sure if I will try it or not.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:27 AM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
I like cooking too, and I indulge in the evenings when I'm home from work. I cook too much anyway, so I'll always have nice leftovers. I usually use the leftovers and add some simple oil and vinegar and some lettuce leaves and I've got my salad for work!

Other days, like right now, I'll just drink a large bulletproof coffee in the morning and then around lunchtime a big mug of homemade broth with butter and a lug of cream. Fills me up till dinnertime and I've not got to worry about food. Works really well and both taste so delicious and indulgent, you'd be surprised it's so simple to make!

female, 38y/o, 5'10"

my blog:
http://crazybeautyhealth.blogspot.de/
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:11 AM   #22
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/206/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Quote:
Are you losing weight that way?
Meh, as well as any plan. Which isn't very well. This is at least easy.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote