Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Do you talk about "The Weight"? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/811830-do-you-talk-about-weight.html)

Jrw85705 09-09-2013 08:41 AM

Do you talk about "The Weight"?

Just an odd thought that came to me.

The other day I was talking with a friend, who eats paleo, and when we were done I became aware of the fact that we both referred to the weight we’d lost as “The Weight” such as “Since I lost the weight” or “The weight always slowed me down” and so on. It was as if “The Weight” was really not part of me but something that just accompanied me around. It was a separate entity by itself, not me.

I’m sure if I lost a finger I wouldn’t refer to it as the finger but my finger that I lost. I’m sure it is done unconsciously. Maybe it’s my desire to not own the fact I was very overweight and even now in maintenance I don’t want to admit it.

MissBeeps 09-09-2013 10:26 AM

Quote:

Maybe it’s my desire to not own the fact I was very overweight and even now in maintenance I don’t want to admit it.
Maybe to not own it any longer, to give it a sense of finality, not planning on owning it again. :)

Ntombi 09-09-2013 10:30 AM

Interesting.

I talk about The MS, not my MS. Perhaps for the same reason, to distance myself from it, and not to make it part of my identity?

Arctic_Mama 09-09-2013 10:37 AM

I am me, a personality and soul. Not the summation of my looks, my bits, or even my fat cells. Heck, I'm not even just the sum of accomplishments.

I used to have a lot of fat.

I now have less fat.

But I never WAS fat. I was me, with some fat along the carcass.

To me and my view of self, that distinction is important. I refuse to equate my beauty or health with my worth. Those things fade with age and the ravages of a fallen world, but the soul is eternal. So my view of beauty, health, and accomplishment can never be divorced from the proper perspective if I want to keep my head screwed on straight.

UghNowWhat 09-09-2013 10:55 AM

lol, I don;'t really get into these conversations but yes I've used the term "the weight" and never "my weight". I guess because even though I'm still fat I don't see it as a part of me that should be there.

But then.. I refer to my ex as the same way even though it didn't end bad and we still exchange words once in a while. "The ex" not "my ex".

Trigger828 09-09-2013 01:22 PM

funny thought. I do refer to it as 'the weight' like it is a tangible thing I have to distance myself. like an ugly person I don't want in my life. avoid and disgard for my own good :)

I do admit I was fat and now less fat and will be healthy thin in the future. I had to recognize the weight in order to accept it and lose it. I wasn't in denial, I knew I was getting fatter, I just pretended it didn't bother me, but it did.

Rosebud 09-09-2013 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntombi (Post 16596617)
Interesting.

I talk about The MS, not my MS. Perhaps for the same reason, to distance myself from it, and not to make it part of my identity?

:goodpost:

Punkin 09-09-2013 03:03 PM

I try to use the term bodyfat, instead of weight because weight is related to many different things such as lean mass, water storage, glycogen storage, frame size and of course bodyfat. In some cases increasing weight is a positive. Like in my case I would like to put on weight, but that doesn't mean accumulate more bodyfat!

Spanilingo 09-09-2013 03:35 PM

I think it's just a grammar thing.

My weight is high... My weight is low is correct.
The weight is high .... The weight is low is incorrect

I gained weight....I lost weight is correct
I lost my weight .... I gained my weight is not correct

So "the weight" is the correct term or phrase . I'm sure there is an English teacher here but I wouldn't overanalyze it.

Maryposa 09-09-2013 05:00 PM

Personally I think we just mimic what we hear in popular media.... "find out how she lost the weight" is used as a teaser for tons of celebrity "news" stories.... "tipping the scales at XXX lbs" is used in every other magazine article about weight loss..... just a couple of examples.

I don't like to say "since I lost the weight"... I prefer to say "since I have lost weight"...

trishthedish 09-09-2013 06:05 PM

I don't think I say anything about 'weight'. When referring to the changes I've made to others in conversation I have said, "Since I got healthier" or "When I started taking care of my health."

Even when people see me for the first time in a while and they say I look good, I don't say I've lost weight, I say I am getting healthier.