LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 06:43 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: erinmarie
Stats: 137/118/ 110
WOE: Modified Atkins/ vlc/frankenfood free
Start Date: last start 8/11, restart 7/28/13
Veggie overload!

I'm pretty sure I am in fact eating too many carbs in the forms of veggies, albeit lc ones... I think I might go back to induction for a bit and see if that helps... I have been sort of laissez faire lately in a routine... But my loss is far slower than ever before and short of fasting I'm not sure what to do...I'm just not sure i am still in ketosis... No I'm not hungry but that could be due to high fat. Any suggestions on kicking back into gear?

Btw a typical menu looks like this

7 am: 12 oz cup BPC (1 tsp co 1 tsp butter splash hwc I ply sweet leaf)

9 am: 1-2 scramble eggs with butter and bacon maybe 1/4 peppers and spinach 20 oz water

10am: 12 oz Bpc

1 pm: 2 cups homemade chicken and veggie soup

3 pm: hot chai tea ( hwc stevia)

5 pm: 6 oz chicken or steak small green salad with tablespoon each cheese tomato avocado ranch- 1/2 cup cauliflower mashed in bacon cream butter, 1/2 cup green beans with garlic onion butter and cheese - water to drink

I drink water throughout day.

The veggies are mostly at dinner so maybe I should spread throughout or cut to just the one salad...

These last ten -15 lbs are sticking
erinmarie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2013, 08:14 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: glitterific
Stats: 224/166/140
WOE: South Beach
bpc = coffee?

I don't see anything wrong with your veggies, they are so good for you..
as you get closer to goal, for a lot of folks calories do count..
glitterific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:18 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: ArdMaine
Stats: 6' 230/230/199
WOE: General low carb, less than 25gm carbs, whole food
Start Date: 6/15/14
You're menu looks yummy...and right on track. Perhaps your loss is slower because you are close to goal?
ArdMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:51 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Not sure... I'm trying to track better but it's such a pita honestly... And one tracker I used claimed I would be classified as overweight until I weighed 116.3 lbs.. Hard to trust that stupidity... Also claimed 2 tsp of avocado had only 22 calories...
Old 09-09-2013, 08:53 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitterific View Post
bpc = coffee?

I don't see anything wrong with your veggies, they are so good for you..
as you get closer to goal, for a lot of folks calories do count..
BPC is bullet proof coffee: coconut oil butter and maybe a splash of heavy cream blended till frothy... Delicious filling and jump starts energy for entire day
Old 09-09-2013, 08:57 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
alot of butter in there for the day. while fat is needed maybe you are a bit high.

I think it was Avid who cut back on his hwc in his coffee. those cals. add up alot and closer to goal your body actually needs less food if you aren't increasing the demand on it and working out alot etc.
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:06 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MissBeeps
Two things: it looks like a lot of calories for a person your size and it looks like a lot of carbs at one time (dinner.)

If you don't like the tracker you have been using, there are tons of them online. Find another one you like, use a pen and paper, whatever it takes to get the correct information. Calories count. They do. If your body doesn't need to dip into fat stores for fuel because you're supporting its needs with your caloric intake, it won't burn your fat. You have to give it a reason to use your body fat.

I haven't read it on this board but I have read several other places that the amount of carbs at a time makes a difference as well as how many a day. The number I have read several times is 9 grams of carbs an hour MAX. I eat several cups of veggies a day (I love veggies and have a big garden, I will not give up veggies and found it's not necessary anyhow!) and have found that as long as I keep my carb grams under 8 or 9 at any given meal, I can eat a higher number of carbs and still stay in ketosis (and I'm testing so I'm sure. I know ketostrips don't work for everyone but they work like a charm for me.) Your number of carbs at a time may vary from mine or the average. It might take some experimenting for you time find your sweet spot.

Since I've employed this little bit of info I've dropped a good amount every week... every week.... with no slowing or stalling.

Last edited by MissBeeps; 09-09-2013 at 09:18 AM..
MissBeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:11 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: abby!
Stats: 168/134/125
WOE: LC
Yup. I think for this close to goal, the issue is the fat not veggies. Too many bullet proof coffees. He's a bit from Avid's experience who go to goal quickly after dropping the HWC.
Wow!! actually measured my HWC use
***GOAL***GOAL***GOAL***
abby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:13 AM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/154.2/?
WOE: lc
But your clothes are looser right? I know it is hard but if your clothes fit better ignore the scale! Your bpc doesn't look too high in fat to me as it appears you use a TSP measurement not the TBL I see in most recipes for the coffee.
jeaniem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:07 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

I do exercise a fair amount though some days more than others... I also read on Dave Aspreys Bullet proof site that eating this high fat way helps to turn fat to muscle... Which seems odd but yes, my clothes are much looser and I appear to have a lot more muscle- more than I should for the amount of activity I do... Aspreys advocates using your mirror and clothing to measure progress with only sporadic weigh ins... While I don't strictly follow his plan, it's close to the way I eat. Not sure I'm 100% sold on the concept but I concur with the results.

As far as calories, yeah, maybe... The BPC is def high but I actually noticed a loss in inches after adding it... Chicken soup is pretty low cal and I go easy on salad dressings - a max of 1 tbs...

Butter is used in abundance- but not excess... Maybe a lb this whole month for the entire family, including several dinner parties... And the husband has a 20 oz BPC every morning a well... Nonetheless I think I wil be conscious of fats.. Cut back on unnecessary dairy... And spread my veggies better.

I would like to see a loss of two lbs since last week just to know I'm on track
Old 09-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kaillean
Stats: 209.5/185.5/165
WOE: Atkins/Paleo
Start Date: Restart: October 12, 2014
I agree that as you get closer to goal calories become more important. I had to really start watching calories and fat when I got close to my goal last time.

I would not cut your veggies - as you get close to goal you should be adding more, not less, veggies.

Here is my view of fat - maybe a bit unpopular on these boards. During my last, successful, weight loss, I did not EVER go looking to add fat on purpose. I do not eat butter on its own or fat bombs and the like.

What I do is use olive oil liberally when cooking. I will also use a small amount of salad dressing and top up with a drizzle of olive oil. I saute things in butter and olive oil. I eat bacon and other fatty meats like chicken wings or regular ground beef. I enjoy a nice cream sauce sometimes on my meat.

All of this will take me to at least 65% fat, often up over 70% (like yesterday when my salmon and asparagus was smothered in hollandaise!). For me, that's a good ratio and I can have steady losses.

If I started adding in things like BPC or fat bombs, my calorie count would go too high to lose regularly. Especially when your weight is already so low. You can not do the same things that someone who weighs over 200 can do. That's just reality.

Atkins said you don't have to count calories - he never said calories don't count.

Veggies are low cal and healthy. That's not the place to start cutting, IMO.

Good luck - the last 10 is the hardest!!

Mini goal 1: Onederland by October 27 (Met Oct 24!! )
Mini goal 2: 189 by November 30 (Met Dec 3!! )
Mini goal 3: 184 by December 30!

Last edited by Kaillean; 09-09-2013 at 11:47 AM..
Kaillean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:43 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Thanks and you are right... My husband is about 245... Maybe higher... So it's hard sometimes to prepare his foods watch him melt and recognize we have different needs. My portions are smaller. I never snack but ratios are important and looking at my meals butter not veggies is where I've been on overload! Boo love my butter... Oh well.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:48 PM   #13
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Well another perspective is not the fat and not the carbs but the protein amount. Some people need to moderate their protein consumption in order to lose.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:10 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Here is my typical lunch:

Old 09-09-2013, 03:17 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: skinni
That looks good - but that's a lot of carrots! Get plain greens for the base of salads.

Last edited by skinni; 09-09-2013 at 03:19 PM..
skinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:35 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: margame
Stats: size 1x/2x ---> 12 and shrinking (5'7")
WOE: lc:>10%c/20-30%p/60-70%f
Start Date: jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinni View Post
That looks good - but that's a lot of carrots! Get plain greens for the base of salads.
hmmm, i don't see many carrots in that pic. i think those are red peppers, possibly tomatoes? and the "base" looks like lettuces (with cucs, radishes, cauliflower, peppers added)
while the peppers aren't atikins induction level they are in the owl. don't know which stage kaillean is in. besides it's not kaillean who is worried about what she's eating it's erinmarie.
margame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

A lot of carrot? It's about 2" of a thin carrot grated. NOT a problem for me. The base is leafy greens - 2 cups of mixed spring green/romaine.

Variety is key for me but the quantities are actually very small. There is about 4" of a celery stick. Very small piece of chopped red pepper, one cauliflower floret chopped into small pieces and about 2" of a long english cucumber plus 2 small radishes. I ate this for months and lost 65 lbs. I have lost one pound a day eating this since re-inducting. (It's in one of those soup plates, by the way, for size comparison - not a full size plate.)

DO NOT FEAR THE VEGGIES!!

Even on induction 12-15 g of your carbs should be coming from veggies, said Dr. A.

Edited to add a close up photo:

Last edited by Kaillean; 09-09-2013 at 03:44 PM..
Old 09-09-2013, 03:40 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: skinni
Quote:
Originally Posted by erinmarie View Post
I'm pretty sure I am in fact eating too many carbs in the forms of veggies, albeit lc ones...
I don't see anything worse than carrots in there, for carb density.

Last edited by skinni; 09-09-2013 at 03:43 PM..
skinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:18 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
Everybody has differing opinions but for me, te veggies would be gone before I would cut the fat.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:50 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

I freaked out about the carbs then ended up making low carb nachos ( probably 10 g ) and a vodka and water... Havin a stressful evening and planning on going out .. Figured I shoul endulge in something I know the makeup of... At least it was a healthy mix ( two cactus tortillas cut in quarters then brushed in evoo and baked then topped with a bit of cheese homeade pico and a tiny bit of guac)and my tracking ( ugh pain in the butt) still puts me below 30 net carbs for the day. Better wholesome indulgence at home than pizza later on. But still
Old 09-09-2013, 05:10 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

I don't know why my pic above is missing.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:45 PM   #22
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
If you are losing inches you are burning fat. Have you taken measurements? The scale can't measure fat loss.

You may be increasing muscle mass & that can slow the movement on the scale - but muscle is a good thing & much more important than any number on the scale.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:35 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaillean View Post

DO NOT FEAR THE VEGGIES!!

]
I think that should be a board slogan and your salad looks delicious and so healthy. A big salad is one of my favorite meals - lots of different veg and evoo/lemon juice as dressing.

People easily use up their carbs on sweeteners, dairy, and lc products but then they scrimp on vegetables to be under 20.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:33 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Exactly!

I learned the hard way last time that 10 g of veggies has a very different effect on my body than 10 g of a low-carb processed product. Eating even one supposedly 2 carb Atkins treat, for example, slowed my weight loss a heck of a lot more than a daily, tasty salad loaded with essential nutrients.

Plus, which one is better for learning better life-long healthy eating habits?

Last edited by Kaillean; 09-10-2013 at 11:34 AM..
Old 09-10-2013, 11:58 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

This is all true and why I never eat processed stuff.. Today I had half a cup of coffee blended with 1/4 tsp hwc a tsp of co and a tsp of cocoa powder for breakfast and a boneless skinless chicken breast sautéed in zero carb seasonings tsp butter and a splash of evoo.. It's all I could stomach after too many vodka and waters. Have a simple chicken broth going with some garlic onion cilantro and mixed bell peppers for flavor and will most likely have that with the chicken and a salad for dinner... Alcohol is not my friend on this woe it gives me tremendous hangovers which were rare for me on a high carb diet, so I don't think it will become a problem...
Old 09-10-2013, 02:48 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

I get WICKED hangovers when I drink too much on LC. But at least I become a cheap drunk.

I'm really missing my homemade frosty lime margaritas.

I roasted a chicken a few nights ago and made broth from the carcass with garlic, celery, onion. It's really hit the spot during my re-induction. Nice and rich and tasty.

I had two days of super salty and high cal foods, so I'm taking it easy today. Bacon/eggs for brekkie; had a nice salad with tuna, topped with mayo/EVOO for lunch; and grilled flank steak on the BBQ tonight with a side of broccoli drizzled with lemon butter.

Tom's due to visit, so I know I'll be jonesing for a snack tonight. Will try to resist the smoked gouda calling me from the fridge.

Last edited by Kaillean; 09-10-2013 at 02:49 PM..