Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 05:00 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luckymuma
Stats: 96kg ( 211) start weight GOAL weight 74kg(163)
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 01 Aug 2013
Was there anything you had to overcome to eat this way?

And how did you do it??

A few people I've spoken to recently have reacted in ways I've found very interesting. One friend said, she has trained herself to eat such low fat meals now, the thought of eating dating any form terrifies her, so she couldn't low carb. Another friend told me she couldn't possibly low carb due to the amount of animal products she would have to eat. She is basically vegan, but once a month will eat eggs or dairy ( she gets sick without doing that...apparently lol).

For me, the concept of eating fat to get thin...still blows my mind.i was NEVER a fan of low fat anything lol, but when I have cream as a big garnish, I still have moments of thinking...oh my...that's a lot of fat right there....

Was there anything like this that you felt before trying low carb...and how did you get round it? Or was it a leap of faith?
luckymuma is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2013, 05:14 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/176/140-145
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
I always ate the fat on steak, pork chops etc. Changing to butter was a little hard for me at first because i'd Always heard that margarine was So much better for you. But other then learning to eat without bread for a sandwich I took to LC pretty well.
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:30 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Romy
Stats: 164/142.5/120-130
WOE: LC
Start Date: July1,2013
I had to overcome my fear of fats. I still do not eat much of it, I do indulge in one slice bacon 2-3 times a wk. Giving up everything else, pasta, bread, cookies etc. was easier than I thought.
Romy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:53 AM   #4
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Fat. It took a long time and a lot of reading to overcome my prejudice to this macro nutrient. It is really sad that we have been so misled and have loved ones who continue to deprive their body's of this much needed nutrient.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:09 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fun w son
Stats: 283/269/200
WOE: not sure?
Start Date: July 13, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
I had to overcome my fear of fats. I still do not eat much of it, I do indulge in one slice bacon 2-3 times a wk. Giving up everything else, pasta, bread, cookies etc. was easier than I thought.
same here!!!
fun w son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:15 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: girondet
Stats: Maintaining 125-128, 5'5"
WOE: Bernstein/paleo
Start Date: May 2009
Fat for me too, and I had to get over the idea that grains were good for me. And that red meat was a bad thing.

If I hadn't experimented with a blood sugar monitor and read and believed Dr. Bernstein's book Diabetes Solution, I'd still be doing what I used to do and would be a full blown diabetic weighing at least 50 lbs more, with cholesterol problems too most likely and lots of joint aches and pains, a swollen face, etc. I even had elevated liver enzymes for a while.

Thankfully, with low carb all that's gone and I'm a healthy person with great labs, no diabetes.

Last edited by girondet; 09-09-2013 at 06:23 AM.. Reason: Additions
girondet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:41 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
I think we were so brainwashed about fat for so long that it can be hard to get over it.
Emily-D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:52 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
I did a low fat/low cal. diet and lost 70 lbs. problem is you can't maintain it. you start to starve While on this diet sure fat was the enemy. nothing better than plain celery sticks and carrots sticks for a snack (yea right)

when I started low carb I didn't fear fat at all. I read up on how it works and fat is required as your fuel since the large carb amts are gone. So I fuel up and lose weight.

I find lc is the only one I can really stick with cause the fat gives a decadent feeling of eating. I eat 6-7-8 slices of bacon with my eggs. when I do that, I eat way less thru the day and actually save on calories. can easily skip lunch and going into dinner I am not all that hungry still. Certain foods do that to me and bacon is one of them so I indulge alot.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:53 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymuma View Post
She is basically vegan, but once a month will eat eggs or dairy ( she gets sick without doing that...apparently lol).
wow that blows my mind. who would want to live on a menu like that and feel cruddy? huh??
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:56 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jrw85705
Quote:
Originally Posted by girondet View Post
Fat for me too, and I had to get over the idea that grains were good for me. And that red meat was a bad thing.

If I hadn't experimented with a blood sugar monitor and read and believed Dr. Bernstein's book Diabetes Solution, I'd still be doing what I used to do and would be a full blown diabetic weighing at least 50 lbs more, with cholesterol problems too most likely and lots of joint aches and pains, a swollen face, etc. I even had elevated liver enzymes for a while.
My feelings exactly. If Dr. Bernstein’s method of treating diabetes, didn’t save my life it has certainly made it 100 times better.

Eating fat is also the thing I had to overcome. Not only because of having quadruple bypass surgery in 2000 (and not wanting to do that again) but also because I hate the taste and feeling of fat. I have always cut it off and avoided it. But I have learned to use dairy, olive oil, avocados, nuts and a small amount of animal fat to increase my fat intake.
Jrw85705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:26 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MissBeeps
I miss making home made bread and home made pastas- it's so enjoyable. I'm totally fine with not eating them, though, since the lethargy went away as soon as I cut the wheat out.
MissBeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:08 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Fats were never a problem. For me it was overcoming the 'comfort' I get from the carby foods I grew up with. I'm not sure I've 'overcome' it since I still miss them, but I look at it as a tradeoff for better health. In the recent past, I'd still give up on low carb (Atkins style) eventually because I still had higher BG numbers only controlled by insulin. I figured if I had to take insulin anyway, why should I also give up my favorite foods.

Then I discovered Dr. Bernstein and realized that it's not just low carb, but also controlled protein, not overeating to the point of belly distention (which drinking too much with meal will do), spreading the carbs through the meals, only eating 3 meals and not snacking and carbs only from non-starchy vegies. Now I can stay on very low carb (although I've pretty much eliminated the vegies) because the trade off is control of diabetes without medication...even though I still miss my carby comfort food.

Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:15 AM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: ArdMaine
Stats: 6' 230/230/199
WOE: General low carb, less than 25gm carbs, whole food
Start Date: 6/15/14
I had to get the mantra "Oh I cannot live without bread." I am still kicking and weigh less now, too.
ArdMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:48 AM   #14
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
I learned not to care if other people think what I eat is weird.

It's kind of sad. When I was at my highest weight, I looked bad. I was puffy and it was obvious that I was carrying excess weight. People used to roll their eyes at me when I ate the butter and not the bread from the roll basket, or asked for butter to spread on my burger. I carry my current weight pretty well. A lot of people think there isn't a pressing need for me to lose more weight. I don't get the eye-rolling reaction anymore now that I'm thinner.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:07 AM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Energy22
Stats: 191.5/176.5/127
WOE: Low Carb/Moderate Protein/High Fat
Start Date: 8/25/13
I'm a carbaholic, when out of control that's what I gravitate to so I didn't think I could do low carb, but the increase in fat really satisfies.

I ate vegan for a year, Dr. Esselstyn's way to be exact, which is beyond vegan, and although I felt great I didn't lose any weight. I've done a 180 because I don't believe his claims anymore. My blood work numbers were a bit worse after that year.

Recently for dinner I reheated some leftover chicken in a pan with butter, then had a side of frozen cauliflower (which is small) but sautéed it with butter, a slice of cheddar, and a T. of cream and was stuffed! I thought the meal looked like the size of a Lean Cuisine and was disappointed at first, but in the end was so full I couldn't believe it. Then it dawned on me that this must be the French Paradox...small but rich meals. So getting over the ingrained fat phobia takes getting used to but it makes giving up the carbs a heck of a lot easier.
Energy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:12 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Fat was never a problem for me because I grew up eating full fat everything. But, I had to overcome the thinking that on this diet as long as you stay under 20 carbs you can eat until you are stuffed and will continue losing. Eating less and less didn't come naturally to me at first and I had to count calories to figure out what I should be eating.

What's shocking is how easy it is to eat a lot of calories without noticing if you pick the fattier things like cheese and meat. 4oz of cheese and a good amount of salami can seem like not that much when you are hungry and waiting for dinner but it can be around 800 calories.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:49 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Doug K
Stats: 229/195/140; goal: 30" waist (5'4" tall)
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: April 2011
Sugar addiction, which I can't say I've overcome.
Doug K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Fighting4myLife
Stats: 150/144/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 2013
I had to overcome my love of everything pasta and rice. My family eats both all of the time and it was sooooo hard for me to prepare something different that was low carb while watching them eat my all-time favorite meals. It's still hard, but I'm learning how to tune it out, eat my meal and be done with it. Slowly, food is no longer controlling my life.
Fighting4myLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:59 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I don't really miss anything as far as food. Kind of surprising, to think of it. Well I would like to eat nuts, but I don't think about or crave them. I have quit drinking alcohol which I am happy to let go. What I had to overcome was more matter of inertia . . . just starting and logging in a few weeks and seeing/feeling results. I take care not to let myself get hungry or to not have acceptable food on hand.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:38 PM   #20
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug K View Post
Sugar addiction, which I can't say I've overcome.
This too!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:46 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
I had a pretty easy transition, but I have to watch it that I don't get jealous or lazy with what my family is eating, as they eat normal diets. Cooking with carbs throughout the day can be at once maddening and tempting, but only if I let it.
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:08 AM   #22
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I have an incurable 'sweet tooth,' but the good thing is that it's controlled with total abstinence. I know that I will always 'desire' those cupcakes and brownies, but I find it relatively easy to ignore them, since I know the consequences. Unlike food in general, sweets can be treated like any addictive substance and completely eliminated.

Like nolcjunk, my only 'difficulty' with low carb eating is controlling quantities. I can gain on zero carbs, simply because I love meat, eggs, and fish so much. But I've also learned how little food it takes for me to be 'satisfied.'
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:57 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: momov2boys
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
...I've also learned how little food it takes for me to be 'satisfied.'
momov2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:20 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/127.6/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
Definitely overcoming my sweet tooth and my love of white bread was a tough one. But I never actually thought those things were good for me, I just love them. LOL. My mom was "doing" Atkins back in the 70's, so I always knew about it and knew it was the way to go.

I think the biggest change for me was realizing that this has to be a way of life. That I'm not going to do this, lose the weight, and go back to eating all the garbage. I've finally come to the realization that this is a forever way of eating not a diet.
250 ~ Weight I need to be under to Zip Line in Vegas with my daughter! Made it! 6/4/13
240 ~ Weight I need to be under to go SkyDiving with my niece! Made It
225 ~ Halfway There. 75 Down, 75 To Go! MADE IT! In just under 6 months!
199 ~ Onderland Here I Come! Made It!! 11/7/13
166 ~ No Longer Obese - Made it 3/14/14
150 ~ Ultimate Goal, Half my body weight gone Made it! 5/23/14
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:38 PM   #25
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
For me, it's not about the food or not believing it's best. I knew it was healthy, but I needed to be ready to make the change long-term. I'm a person who doesn't commit to a diet unless I know I'm ready, which means that I spent time not eating the way I knew I should have, because I prefer not to yo-yo.

The first time I did Atkins, it was 2002, I was ready, and I did great for close to a year, but then I got very sick and had other major life upheavals and got majorly off-track. Since then, I restarted twice more because I was almost ready and pushed myself because I knew I needed to get healthy. It didn't stick for more than a month or two, which didn't surprise me.

This time I really was ready to do this long-term. I'm done messing around, so this is it.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:01 AM   #26
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Fighting4myLife
Stats: 150/144/135
OH! And a big one was laziness in the kitchen! I had to get off my booty and actually prepare a meal instead of opening a can or nuking a frozen meal.
Fighting4myLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:09 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: martha
Stats: 138/102.3/107?
WOE: Low Carb Mediterranean/IF maintenance
Start Date: Feb. 25, 2013 Goal weight Sept. 11, 2013
The hardest thing for me was fruit. I was actually proud of how much whole fresh fruit I ate every day. So cutting that way, way back was hard. I don't have any trouble with it now. But there were other things, too, like my morning oatmeal. I made terrific oatmeal (stll do, but now lower-carb and high fat). And just favorite foods like black bean spread on my terrific homemade whole wheat bread, or my favorite too-tired-to-cook dinner, which was sourdough bread from the shop on the corner with mayo and ham and swiss cheese. I loved that bread. But I have new favorites now, mainly terrific stews with chicken and lots of non-starchy veggies.
martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:56 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kittycatmom
Stats: 184/159/150
WOE: Low carb, high fat, moderate protein / gluten free
A couple of things, the first being getting comfortable eating more fat; the second is being able to lose weight without hunger or discomfort.
Kittycatmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:16 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: miboje
Stats: 147/134.1/133
WOE: Whole foods with an eye on carbs
Start Date: Feb. 2009
Bread. And potatoes. It was a psychological process to let go of those, but also finding replacements has helped tremendously.
miboje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:38 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: makeamove
Stats: 172/164/125
Start Date: Dec 5, 2011
For me it's the convenience of eating out easily, especially with friends. I find a lot of places just don't have VLC options that I enjoy. I mourn spontaneous trips for Thai, and Vietnamese food. It takes much more planning to dine out now.
makeamove is offline   Reply With Quote