Old 09-12-2013, 10:24 PM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArdMaine View Post
I had to get the mantra "Oh I cannot live without bread." I am still kicking and weigh less now, too.
Ugh, yes! For me, it's carb addiction, which I'm still not over, even after many years (started Atkins for the first time in 2001) and being 60 pounds down. Gah! Still working on it, though.

My son's name is August, btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emel View Post
I learned not to care if other people think what I eat is weird.

It's kind of sad. When I was at my highest weight, I looked bad. I was puffy and it was obvious that I was carrying excess weight. People used to roll their eyes at me when I ate the butter and not the bread from the roll basket, or asked for butter to spread on my burger. I carry my current weight pretty well. A lot of people think there isn't a pressing need for me to lose more weight. I don't get the eye-rolling reaction anymore now that I'm thinner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolcjunk View Post
What's shocking is how easy it is to eat a lot of calories without noticing if you pick the fattier things like cheese and meat. 4oz of cheese and a good amount of salami can seem like not that much when you are hungry and waiting for dinner but it can be around 800 calories.
That's the beauty of intermittent fasting! You could have that meal and a big ole dessert to go with it.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2013, 02:42 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Yes, where do I begin? I love bread (carbs and yeast together). I love eating out and eating just in general. I love the North American diet, that is, until I recognized what it really is and LC showed me that. Its an addiction. More specifically carb addiction, that is why I love it.

So for me the biggest part is shifting away from the foods that feed carb addiction, which is pretty much everything readily available in the North American diet. When I started counting carbs, proteins, fats and calories in the foods I was eating, wow, it was a real eye opener how unbalanced our nutrition actually is. I have to be LC/HF not LC/HP. I challenge anybody to figure out the LCHF diet, eating what I consider "real" food. One of my favourite sources of HF/LC/LP foods is dairy, but even that is a challenge. HWC is great but I react to cow's milk (something in the processing) so I have to try to get goat's or sheep's dairy products. And even in the processing most of the fat has been removed from the milk and concentrated with the protein. So you still get protein with the higher fat products. I am still looking for a source of fresh/raw milk from goats or sheep within driving distance but haven't been successful yet. I might have to just bite the bullet and figure out a way how to use other fat sources in a way that makes sense.

As you can see I am still trying to figure it out!
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:48 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: skinni
Honestly, when I started I thought that fat would hurt me, despite all of the LC reassurances I'd read - that was just silly quack pseudoscience. It was just that I was desperate. Being thin was finally more important to me than being healthy.

It took several months of noticing over and over again how wonderfully satiated I was to realize that THIS was why I'd gone back for seconds and thirds on carby meals every day. My body had been screaming for real food. Look at how little meat is in a sandwich! Look at how little fat is in that spread!

So after months of killing myself with too much fat, somehow my body started feeling and looking healthier in every way. And I started to take the science seriously. The results were hard to ignore.
skinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:20 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: martha
Stats: 138/102.3/107?
WOE: Low Carb Mediterranean/IF maintenance
Start Date: Feb. 25, 2013 Goal weight Sept. 11, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinni View Post
Honestly, when I started I thought that fat would hurt me, despite all of the LC reassurances I'd read - that was just silly quack pseudoscience. It was just that I was desperate. Being thin was finally more important to me than being healthy.

It took several months of noticing over and over again how wonderfully satiated I was to realize that THIS was why I'd gone back for seconds and thirds on carby meals every day. My body had been screaming for real food. Look at how little meat is in a sandwich! Look at how little fat is in that spread!

So after months of killing myself with too much fat, somehow my body started feeling and looking healthier in every way. And I started to take the science seriously. The results were hard to ignore.
Boy, you nailed it. I resisted, too, and don't see how I will ever trust a nutrition expert again.
martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:20 AM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kimberlyann11
I pondered a long time on whether to post this or not - but I have a very unusual issue that makes it just about impossible to follow this WOE. I am not looking for advice - but lord knows I'll get it anyways - I think I just want to type it out beacause that'll make me feel better.

I am not a steady poster. I prefer to just read. I popped in to say HI when I got down to 199.8. I got down under 195 not too long after that and then I got sick. This last spring I got a massive cold which hit the same time as my seasonal allergies. I totally lost my sense of smell and along with it most of my sense of taste. I know this sounds like a godsend, but it set me off trying to find things I could taste because nothing hit the spot. Then I found that if I ate for texture, I could feel like I actually ate something. Unfortunately oatmeal works for that. I also like things that are mushy on the inside like big steak fries.

But wait - it gets worse. My smell and taste came back a little bit. But nothing smells or tastes like it is supposed to. Coffee is the worst - going past Tim Horton's is awful. Meat products smell like a combination of rotten garbage and nail polish remover.

I tried to eat a cheeseburger patty, which used to be my favorite, and literally couldn't finish it because it made me gag. My weight got back up to 205, but now that I am sort of getting over eating altogether I'm back under 200. I just know it's not healthy. I try to get in some protein everyday. It helps if I camoflage it with spicy sauces or peppers. A local grocery store makes a chicken salad that I love - because I think they put in about 50% celery. It's super crunchy and they put in a lot of mayo and shred the chicken so it's disguised. Sometimes I'll have that on a tortilla and call it dinner.

yesterdays menu
B- DD coffee and a blueberry muffin
L - frisco burger from Hardees and a rice crispy treat, diet coke
D - fettucine alfredo - probably half a cup.

The LCer in me is appalled.

I think I'm stuck in this pattern for awhile. I am losing weight eating smaller amounts of this crap - but I know it'll send my health down the tubes. Ironically enough the same thing happened to my mom except she didn't have the phantom smells - just none at all. Her smeller eventually came back. Fifteen years later.

The whole thing is depressing.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:55 AM   #36
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Have you seen a doctor about this. My father had lost his sense of smell but not taste. He continued to cook for years after with mostly success. I just wonder if it is something like a polyp that could be dealt with. In the meantime, why not try simple basic foods that fit into a low carb woe and if meat is a problem, look to the vegetarian threads for food ideas.

Sorry you are having these issues. It must be difficult.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:58 AM   #37
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: teri f
Stats: 203/127/125
WOE: High fat VLC
Start Date: Original start: January 3, 2001. Restart 6/18/2007
It was hard to give up grains and sweets until i found out how much better I felt without them. And I LOVE the fact that I don't have to count calories and weigh lettuce leaves and can eat lots of great tasting fat. Calorie counting and portion control never worked for me. Eating great food when hungry and stopping when satiated is working well! And has worked well for awhile now.
teri f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: emgee
Stats: 148/101.6/103
WOE: LC
I have to accept that some things are not for me. It's the depth of that acceptance that's different. It's a kind of "willingness" that is hard to describe. I was resentful before.
Anyone else get that?
emgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:31 AM   #39
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: idioglossic
Stats: 179/148/140 5'2"
WOE: Stillmans, low carb, low fat, low sodium, 2 meals
Start Date: August 29, 2004/Restart July 28, 2013
I am a pasta addict. I lost heavily when I lost pasta in 2004. I maintained for 4 years until someone came in to my life, cooking pasta often. . . I resisted for months, then fell into the noodle bowl. Gained all the weight back and that person is gone and now I am again conquering my pasta addiction. No noodles for me ever again. They are like, some say, crack cocaine is, to me, one serving and I am full blown addicted and dying for my next mouthful. It is beyond belief. When I see obese people, I often wonder, is it a pasta addiction? On Low Carb, I need portion control and lower fat and lower amounts of protein to keep losing. My body is a hunter gather body and my genetic build was obviously a gift from God, as I gain easily and lose slowly. . . I was made for the long haul thru lean times and fatten up in times of plenty.

I am wonderfully made. And have to learn to accept that I want to over eat, because that is a gift, to keep us fed. I am older now and still learning and letting go resentment that others have skinny bodies. Hah, many of my skinny friends are long dead. . I am 63 and loving it.
GOAL 135 12/17/04
30 LB CLUB 11/25/04
40 LB CLUB 1/14/05
50 LB CLUB 5/16/05
60 LB CLUB 8/19/05[/color]
[color=PURPLE]729 CHEAT FREE DAYS THE ONLY PERSON I WAS FOOLING WAS MYSELF!!! [/color]
[color=red]The Sayonara CARBOnara Challenge *Colonel* GOAL[/color]
[color=green]"we need to love ourselves enough to give up entitlement thinking and start thinking in terms of what we need to do in order to be healthy." - Terry [/color]
Lowered goal to 120 1/10/05
idioglossic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:16 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aquarius
Stats: 190/135/125
WOE: Atkins-ish
Start Date: 3/3/2012
Quote:
I have to accept that some things are not for me. It's the depth of that acceptance that's different. It's a kind of "willingness" that is hard to describe. I was resentful before.
Anyone else get that?
Yes, I know exactly what you mean. I did this 10 years ago or so and I think I always had in the back of my mind that I could add the carby stuff back in once I lost the weight. I lost the weight . . and over time added a lot of the carby stuff back . . . and the weight and all my crappy health indicators came back.

So this time I have that level of acceptance you refer to. Some stuff is just not for me. I don't worry about whether or not that's fair, or resent the fact any longer. It just is what is.
Aquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:36 PM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberlyann11 View Post
I pondered a long time on whether to post this or not - but I have a very unusual issue that makes it just about impossible to follow this WOE. I am not looking for advice - but lord knows I'll get it anyways - I think I just want to type it out beacause that'll make me feel better.

I am not a steady poster. I prefer to just read. I popped in to say HI when I got down to 199.8. I got down under 195 not too long after that and then I got sick. This last spring I got a massive cold which hit the same time as my seasonal allergies. I totally lost my sense of smell and along with it most of my sense of taste. I know this sounds like a godsend, but it set me off trying to find things I could taste because nothing hit the spot. Then I found that if I ate for texture, I could feel like I actually ate something. Unfortunately oatmeal works for that. I also like things that are mushy on the inside like big steak fries.

But wait - it gets worse. My smell and taste came back a little bit. But nothing smells or tastes like it is supposed to. Coffee is the worst - going past Tim Horton's is awful. Meat products smell like a combination of rotten garbage and nail polish remover.

I tried to eat a cheeseburger patty, which used to be my favorite, and literally couldn't finish it because it made me gag. My weight got back up to 205, but now that I am sort of getting over eating altogether I'm back under 200. I just know it's not healthy. I try to get in some protein everyday. It helps if I camoflage it with spicy sauces or peppers. A local grocery store makes a chicken salad that I love - because I think they put in about 50% celery. It's super crunchy and they put in a lot of mayo and shred the chicken so it's disguised. Sometimes I'll have that on a tortilla and call it dinner.

yesterdays menu
B- DD coffee and a blueberry muffin
L - frisco burger from Hardees and a rice crispy treat, diet coke
D - fettucine alfredo - probably half a cup.

The LCer in me is appalled.

I think I'm stuck in this pattern for awhile. I am losing weight eating smaller amounts of this crap - but I know it'll send my health down the tubes. Ironically enough the same thing happened to my mom except she didn't have the phantom smells - just none at all. Her smeller eventually came back. Fifteen years later.

The whole thing is depressing.
Something like this happened to my late husband when he was going through radiation treatments. He liked crunchy spicy tacos and was put off by cheese and mashed potatoes. He never did really like these again.

You could use some organic corn tortillas, wet them down, and microwave them to make them crunchy (watch to keep them from burning).

They are not low carb but they are not as awful as wheat and do not have the bad oils in them, then fill with your own spicy foods or use these with salsa.

These are pretty satisfying, and I find they don't trigger overeating.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:01 PM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: trishthedish
Stats: 26/22/14
WOE: LC
Start Date: One day at a time
Quote:
Originally Posted by emgee View Post
Anyone else get that?
I really, really get that.
trishthedish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:29 PM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: coffeebear57
Stats: 214/192/136
WOE: LC/JUUDD
Start Date: restart 10/1/2013
Kimberlyann11....the exact thing happened to my friend...She was really weirded out but got hers under control by adding zinc to her diet...It was an amazing change so maybe worth a try.....They say we lose that valuable nutrient as we get older....
coffeebear57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:44 PM   #44
I'm here to help!

Gallery: SugarFreeSheila
Stats: 141 to 110
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2001
I really fell right into low-carbing - it just felt so natural to me right from the get-go. I adore pasta & bread and thought going without them would drive me crazy. It just didn't. Not having to worry about fat and calories has proven to be an excellent substitute anyway. That never gets old!
SugarFreeSheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:37 PM   #45
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymuma View Post
And how did you do it??

A few people I've spoken to recently have reacted in ways I've found very interesting. One friend said, she has trained herself to eat such low fat meals now, the thought of eating dating any form terrifies her, so she couldn't low carb. Another friend told me she couldn't possibly low carb due to the amount of animal products she would have to eat. She is basically vegan, but once a month will eat eggs or dairy ( she gets sick without doing that...apparently lol).

For me, the concept of eating fat to get thin...still blows my mind.i was NEVER a fan of low fat anything lol, but when I have cream as a big garnish, I still have moments of thinking...oh my...that's a lot of fat right there....

Was there anything like this that you felt before trying low carb...and how did you get round it? Or was it a leap of faith?
I was pretty lucky because my dad brought Atkins home when I was 14 and I didn't have any pre-formed ideas of what one should or shouldn't eat. Sometimes I think it'd be cool if we could all work to be those teens who don't know any better and are trying it to see how it works.

Really, unlearning what we think we know is the hardest part.
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:04 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aquarius
Stats: 190/135/125
WOE: Atkins-ish
Start Date: 3/3/2012
Quote:
Not having to worry about fat and calories has proven to be an excellent substitute anyway. That never gets old!
So true! And that is exactly what I focus on instead of lamenting the things I can no longer eat. Deprivation is just a state of mind, I firmly believe.

Quote:
Sometimes I think it'd be cool if we could all work to be those teens who don't know any better and are trying it to see how it works.
I agree. With low carbing and a lot of other things in life.
Aquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:30 PM   #47
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CurlsNCuffs
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2, 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
I have an incurable 'sweet tooth,' but the good thing is that it's controlled with total abstinence. I know that I will always 'desire' those cupcakes and brownies, but I find it relatively easy to ignore them, since I know the consequences. Unlike food in general, sweets can be treated like any addictive substance and completely eliminated.

Like nolcjunk, my only 'difficulty' with low carb eating is controlling quantities. I can gain on zero carbs, simply because I love meat, eggs, and fish so much. But I've also learned how little food it takes for me to be 'satisfied.'
This is so me.
CurlsNCuffs is offline   Reply With Quote