LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2013, 11:35 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SchoolPsych1979
Stats: 255/244/145
WOE: ALMOST NO CARBS, with artificial sweeteners
Start Date: 03/25/2013
liquid water enhancers

I have been doing ok so far! Down 10 in three weeks. I've decided to cut down on caffeine and "diet drinks" but allow water enhancers, such as Mio (Orange tangerine - yum). But I want my consumption to be moderate but I know they will help me drink more water. My question is, how many servings should I count per my allotted AS serving per squirt? Or is it so minute that I shouldn't count it? I plan on using most times I drink water. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by SchoolPsych1979; 09-08-2013 at 11:36 PM..
SchoolPsych1979 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2013, 08:27 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NineOhNine
Stats: 250/225/155
WOE: Generic <72 carbs/day
The flavor enhancers use liquid sugar substitute, so no need to count fillers. In other words, negligible.
NineOhNine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:09 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Biggy Fat
I'm weary about the liquid enhancers because of the presence of sucralose, which I have read has stalled people and/or kicked them out of ketosis. I have no problem drinking plain water if that's what it takes, though I would love to add some flavor to it.

Your mileage may vary, however.
Biggy Fat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:13 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: ArdMaine
Stats: 6' 230/230/199
WOE: General low carb, less than 25gm carbs, whole food
Start Date: 6/15/14
I've been using them as a treat. I like the Kool-aid grape one in sparkling water. But I usually only have one every other day or so.
ArdMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:22 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggy Fat View Post
I'm weary about the liquid enhancers because of the presence of sucralose, which I have read has stalled people and/or kicked them out of ketosis. I have no problem drinking plain water if that's what it takes, though I would love to add some flavor to it.

Your mileage may vary, however.
I think it's great to pay attention to what stalls some folks, but I think I'd end up with an extremely limited food list if I cut out every food that somebody has troubles with.

For example, some people have trouble with nuts because they have a hard time limiting the portions. I don't eat them by themselves---I sprinkle walnuts onto a salad, or include a half ounce of almonds on a little meat, cheese, and raw veggie lunch plate.

Some people swear that flax at breakfast time speeds up their losses. I gain every time I over-use flax. Some folks report that artificial sweeteners cause cravings. For me, doing without sweets completely sets off feelings of my eating disorder compulsion, so I've learned to limit sweetener portions while still including them in my plan.

I think the best thing to do is to be aware that a certain food might cause troubles and to look for troubling signals/symptoms after the food is eaten. If there's no problems, it's safe for you, even though it might not be safe for someone else.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:49 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BulldogMom
Stats: 231/ 185.8 / 135
WOE: modified Atkins
Start Date: April 2013
I use the water enhancers liberally without any issues. I use on average 2 1/2 squirts per 16-20 oz of water. I probably drink 3-4 of these a day including my plain old water. If something is going to cause me an issue, I'll notice the next day when I weigh. I would say not to worry about trying to count any carbs with them unless you notice a stall or a gain.
BulldogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:15 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dgidaho
Stats: 221/193/160
WOE: Low Carb--began with Atkins
Start Date: March 21, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulldogMom View Post
I use the water enhancers liberally without any issues. I use on average 2 1/2 squirts per 16-20 oz of water. I probably drink 3-4 of these a day including my plain old water. If something is going to cause me an issue, I'll notice the next day when I weigh. I would say not to worry about trying to count any carbs with them unless you notice a stall or a gain.
What BulldogMom said. I use them almost daily--several times a day. I also drink tons of unflavored water....and a few glasses of diet Dr. Pepper...I swear, between low-carbing and bp meds with a diuretic, I could drink a stock tank full of liquid daily...lol. Never caused any problems. I think the key is this--don't sweat the small stuff. If you're stalled, losing WAY too slowly, or falling out of ketosis, then you can, and should, examine things more closely. As long as you're eating healthy low carb foods in appropriate ratios for your needs, you should be fine.
dgidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:48 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
I just bought 2 bottles of the enhancers. Haven't tried them yet but at some point I consume so much water I gotta have a taste. fresh squeezed lemon mostly, but every now and then ya want something different. hope they are good
if I find I do well with them then I sure will use them.
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:34 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JennyBell
Stats: 269/253.4/165
WOE: High Fat Low Carb
Start Date: 08-26-13
I recently found a yummy way to drink more water, although I had no problem drinking plenty before.

I got some decaf herbal tees that are fruit flavored. I brew that with hot water, let it sit until cool, then pour over a big cup of ice. I use a straw to drink (I swear it brings out the flavor). The initial taste is water, but if finishes with a nice taste of peach or raspberry or pina colada. Whichever flavor you use. I got my herbal teas from a local tea shop.
JennyBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:50 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SchoolPsych1979
Stats: 255/244/145
WOE: ALMOST NO CARBS, with artificial sweeteners
Start Date: 03/25/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyBell View Post
I recently found a yummy way to drink more water, although I had no problem drinking plenty before.

I got some decaf herbal tees that are fruit flavored. I brew that with hot water, let it sit until cool, then pour over a big cup of ice. I use a straw to drink (I swear it brings out the flavor). The initial taste is water, but if finishes with a nice taste of peach or raspberry or pina colada. Whichever flavor you use. I got my herbal teas from a local tea shop.
Oooh I have some tea, too! I'm going to try that. I am on second day of using the water enhancers and I don't think I can handle the sweet taste (I use Mio). I think they trigger me a little but I will try the tea thing!
SchoolPsych1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:14 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 238/238/160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7/23/13, Restart 9/17/14
I use either mio or crystal light once or twice a day with no problems. I'd say to try them and see if they create problems. Trial and error are key in this WOE!
pulchritudinous_j is offline   Reply With Quote