LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2013, 07:21 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
More than weight loss

I'm sure that many of us have sought out this WOE for weight loss, but how many have also done it for health reasons? I ate off plan yesterday, and suddenly this morning, I literally can't get out of the bed. Most people complain about bathroom issues when going off plan, but I am hurting so bad in my muscles that I feel disabled. I got up this morning thinking all was well. Nope, not at all. I don't know whether to take a muscle relaxer and go back to sleep or try to power through and try to get things done around the house. How many of you have this same problem?

BTW, I was very sick before starting LC. Sometimes I just forget how sick I was. For the most part my life is pretty normal as long as I stay LC. I still have stiff fingers and if I do too much my back pain flares up.

Dieting is hard;being fat is hard; choose your hard.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2013, 09:26 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
In the past, it was for weight loss...but I also lost weight very quickly when I went to an essentially vegetarian diet. I did the Rice Diet (no it's not a fad) which is basically a vegetarian, low sodium, low fat, controlled calorie diet. Plenty of vegies and fruits to go along with my rice and bean 'pot' (other choices, I just preferred this). In the first 2 weeks (and this was last fall), I lost 20 pounds...yep 20 pounds. Over the next 6 weeks, I lost 3-4 lbs per week. We won't even talk about what it did to my BG's other than to say 'through the roof'. So I went off and promptly gained back 25 lbs...which would happen if I went 'off' any 'diet' and back to the usual junky diet.

I went back to low carb mainly to get a handle on my diabetes. The weight loss has just been a bonus.

Type 2 controlled by low carb diet <25gm carbs and and controlled protein.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kaillean
Stats: 209.5/200.5/165
Start Date: September 3, 2013
Even more than finding myself fat again, my impetus for getting back on the LC wagon was to get my horrible eczema under control. It literally disappears when I do LC along with my seasonal allergies.
Kaillean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:48 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: trishthedish
Stats: 26/20-22/12
WOE: LC
Start Date: One day at a time
Staying LC is as important to my health as it is to my weight. When I eat higher carbohydrates and refined sugars/flour, I suffer with terrible body aches, headaches, fuzzy brain, fatigue, moodiness, depression, anxiety, sinus pain, gnawing hunger, and digestion problems.

I live with binge eating disorder, so there are times I eat unhealthy foods in excess and suffer all of the physical symptoms above. Not pleasant.

In a way though, it helps me WANT to get back on track. I don't want to live with all of that misery.
trishthedish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:24 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kittycatmom
Stats: 184/159/150
WOE: Low carb, high fat, moderate protein / gluten free
Start Date: August 2013
It is helping with my knee pain, brought my blood pressure down to optimum levels and cleared my brain fog.
Kittycatmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:34 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dgidaho
Stats: 221/193/160
WOE: Low Carb--began with Atkins
Start Date: March 21, 2013
I actually began for health reasons. My weight was beginning to cause problems. My feet hurt (causing a slight limp) and were getting worse. My knees hurt when I went down stairs. I needed to lose weight to minimize an escalating problem. I had begun having dizziness and vision distortion. I didn't realize that low carbing would take away so many other problems! The gastro told me several months ago that I needed to be on Prilosec for the rest of my life (erroded esophagus, gastritis, rather intense stomach pain, yadda, yadda, yadda....). I no longer need it--or even Tums! The arthritis in my thumbs has let up. My allergies are nearly non-existent. My sleep is more restful. I no longer have crashes after eating--or when I am hungry. I am not bounding with energy, but things have certainly improved in that department. It is a slow healing, but it IS a healing!

Weight loss is nice, but health benefits are even nicer!
dgidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:48 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
Start Date: April 2012
I also suffer from binge eating. This pain in my body makes me get back on track. If I didn't I would just be a lump in the bed all day long.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:04 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luckymuma
Stats: 96kg ( 211) start weight GOAL weight 74kg(163)
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 01 Aug 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishthedish View Post
Staying LC is as important to my health as it is to my weight. When I eat higher carbohydrates and refined sugars/flour, I suffer with terrible body aches, headaches, fuzzy brain, fatigue, moodiness, depression, anxiety, sinus pain, gnawing hunger, and digestion problems..
Yes, alot of these I lived with too as well as worsening cycle issues. And they have all vanished in less than two months! Weightloss is much slower, but health benefits were almost immediate!
luckymuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:04 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
I did it to lose weight and while I was not unhealthy before LC nor suffer from issues when I eat high carb foods , I am hoping to prevent any of those issues ever occuring. I find maintaining my health almost effortless as eating LC just "feels right."

Mentally , I'm not ever worried about my food harming me . Peace of mind about my food choices is well.. .peAce of mind! Even if I overindulge on LC foods , I never have that "oh god what did I just do" moments thAt I had after eating too much junk. If nothing else, mental health is enough for me !
Spanilingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:59 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
I ate off plan 2 days ago. I have felt fine, but for 48 hours now my blood sugar has been elevated. Kinda tells me something.
AnnetteW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:38 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/177/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
I was way too chubby when I began my LC woe back in February. But then I had been way too chubby for a long time. It was borderline blood sugar results test that got me motivated to begin again. I'll be back to the doc this fall and will be very interested in what my blood tests look like now.

7 months in, 25 pounds down. Was 29 pounds before our recent vacation. But I got right back on plan the minute we got home, and was happy to do so. I've actually gotten to the point where I like this woe---because I feel better on it.

I was struggling with bad heart burn and acid reflux before I started LC. Within a month of being on this woe, both totally disappeared! Felt it again only on this recent vacation after some off plan nights. Pretty clear to me that carbs cause this for me.

And, in addition to health benefits and weight loss, I have finally conquered my portion control issues on LC. I just don't want more than a reasonable portion of any LC foods. And, I rarely have that "stuffed" feeling which used to be an every day occurrence for me. It was energy draining and uncomfortable but I just accepted it in order to stuff down those carbs. Now, I have come to hate that feeling, on the rare occasion I get it from overdoing on LC foods.

I have come to love the feeling of being satisfied without being logged down. And while I enjoy my Low carb foods, food in general has become a whole lot less important to me. So yes, there's been a whole lot more than just the weight loss.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:46 PM   #12
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
I'd say that how I feel eating this way (I do eat LC but also eliminated processed foods, grains, and dairy) is a huge part of why I find it so easy to stick to it. Aches & pains disappeared, brain fog gone, memory improved, etc. I remember how I felt. I don't need to eat those foods again to be reminded.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:49 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Olive
WOE: <20 net carbs/day
Start Date: May 12 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
I was way too chubby when I began my LC woe back in February. But then I had been way too chubby for a long time. It was borderline blood sugar results test that got me motivated to begin again. I'll be back to the doc this fall and will be very interested in what my blood tests look like now.

7 months in, 25 pounds down. Was 29 pounds before our recent vacation. But I got right back on plan the minute we got home, and was happy to do so. I've actually gotten to the point where I like this woe---because I feel better on it.

I was struggling with bad heart burn and acid reflux before I started LC. Within a month of being on this woe, both totally disappeared! Felt it again only on this recent vacation after some off plan nights. Pretty clear to me that carbs cause this for me.

And, in addition to health benefits and weight loss, I have finally conquered my portion control issues on LC. I just don't want more than a reasonable portion of any LC foods. And, I rarely have that "stuffed" feeling which used to be an every day occurrence for me. It was energy draining and uncomfortable but I just accepted it in order to stuff down those carbs. Now, I have come to hate that feeling, on the rare occasion I get it from overdoing on LC foods.

I have come to love the feeling of being satisfied without being logged down. And while I enjoy my Low carb foods, food in general has become a whole lot less important to me. So yes, there's been a whole lot more than just the weight loss.
I love not having that "stuffed" feeling. After eating I feel energized. Case in point: my husband and I had burgers the other day, his with a bun, mine with guacamole on top. His eyes were glazing over and he said he felt uncomfortably full, while I was perfectly satiated. You have no point of comparison to how bad uncontrolled carb eating feels until you go LC...
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:09 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMacB
Stats: 275/190/160
WOE: Modified Atkins/general low carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
I started for weight loss, but within 10 days of starting I realized the arthritis in my hands, wrists and elbows was gone. This was so huge for me, since I work with pottery and load and unload kilns every day. Before, if it rained I would be in so much pain I couldn't hold a plate, much less do my job. Knowing that I would return to that is incentive for me to stay on plan. Nothing tastes as good as pain-free feels.
JMacB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:11 PM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I seriously injured my knee about three years ago, requiring more than one surgery, and it's obviously better for my recovery to weigh less as I look at yet another. That's a health concern more than a weight concern.

I don't have diabetes or cardiovascular disease, but I'm turning 40 this year, and I have a strong family history of both as relatives are middle aged and older. That suggests that diet and other lifestyle choices play a significant role, and that I can prevent it for myself.

I also have several chronic diseases, and deal with many doctors and other medical professionals on a regular basis. I've experienced quite a few comments and other issues where my symptoms and/or illness is not taken seriously, because of my weight, or issues that are due to MS or thyroid or something else is blamed on my weight instead. It's not fair, and it's not right, and I shouldn't have to weigh less to be treated appropriately, but it's a fact of life.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.

Last edited by Ntombi; 09-08-2013 at 07:15 PM..
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:48 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
I always say vanity was my number one reason.

but longer on plan, that is starting to change a bit. I feel so much better eating this way. When off plan I get severe heartburn and start eating TUMS again along with stiff also.

I know what you mean. We DO feel the food we eat in many ways.

How many times do we have to feel bad? LOL Was it Einstein said the measure of insanity was doing the same thing over and over and getting the same results? Duh ya think we can learn.
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:51 AM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/192.1/160
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 2 January 2014
I started because of the weightloss, and I've fallen off the wagon many, many times. This time I restarted because I just KNEW I would feel better. The weightloss is necessary too, but at the moment it's less important than the health benefits I'm experiencing.

My complaints were just general aches and pains, bad digestion, restlessness, wheat allergy, no energy, etc etc. Now I feel fine as long as I stick with LC!
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:31 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
I am doing Alternet Day Fasting but just like JMacB who is doing Atkins my athritis is
also gone. I have just been back 2 weeks, lost about 10Lb of water weight, my athritis pain is gone and my blood sugar is lower.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:22 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: miboje
Stats: 147/134.1/133
WOE: Whole foods with an eye on carbs
Start Date: Feb. 2009
Yes, if I don't do it, I will end up with diabetes. I don't want to go there.
miboje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:41 AM   #20
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Health reasons. I always feel better the more gentle movement I can have. I would not last long in any one position...especially bed.
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote