Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Sometimes It's a Daily Battle (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/811721-sometimes-its-daily-battle.html)

GailyGail 09-07-2013 11:24 AM

Sometimes It's a Daily Battle

There are some days when doing low carb is a breeze -- it just feels so right and natural, plus my body and mind feel great and usually I really like the food I'm eating. And then there are other days when I want to cave.

I guess my point is this: you can talk yourself out of caving. All of your low carb veterans and success stories already know this, of course, so this is no news flash. But it really is true and this knowledge might be helpful for newbies.

If you are tempted to eat something carby and not good for you, don't give in immediately. First ask yourself these questions:

Do I really, really want that cupcake (beer, nacho, ice-cream, cup of sugar, hamburger bun, you name it...)?

Will my craving subside in a few minutes if I just don't think about it?

Can I kill my craving with an acceptable low carb substitute?

Or can I kill my craving for by going for a walk (calling a friend, taking a shower, reading a good book, petting my cate -- again you name it)?

Or will this craving just pass like all of my other irrational feelings like a quick fart in the wind?

If you get through these questions, you can kill the craving and stay on plan!

suzanneyea 09-07-2013 11:31 AM

I will always want a cupcake, today, tomorrow, ten years from now. My husband said to me rapt mcdonalds today, "don't you want the fries, ever?" lol I always will want the fries.
I just chose not to eat them.

Olive 09-07-2013 11:53 AM

My urges to cheat don't really happen when I'm at home or work, which I'm grateful for -- they don't happen in my day-to-day normal life. It's more like when I'm out doing errands with my husband for a whole day or something. Irresistible urges to go to the movies and get popcorn or have onion rings and a beer. Although he's extremely supportive I'm still always on thin ice.

Biochic 09-07-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzanneyea (Post 16594225)
I will always want a cupcake, today, tomorrow, ten years from now. My husband said to me rapt mcdonalds today, "don't you want the fries, ever?" lol I always will want the fries.

I agree. I will always want the fries, cake cookies, bread, pasta etc. I have to actively choose not to have them. It is an active process. Some days more so than others but I am always conscious of my decisions.

Emily-D 09-07-2013 01:12 PM

The worst time for me is if I go to the grocery store late in the afternoon to get groceries for dinner. I might not even realize that I'm hungry until I'm in the store and feeling tempted by all the things I no longer eat. It's the most difficult time, but I don't give in to the temptation. I know we've all heard never to go grocery shopping when you're hungry, but sometimes that's how my schedule works out.

I also have a hard time when I buy a dozen bagels at the bagel shop for my kids.

Kismet311 09-07-2013 01:17 PM

Sometimes? Heck, it's always a daily battle for me. There were huge muffins in the break room at work last week...I went in there 3 times...almost took one. I decided not to but it wasn't easy. Did I need a stupid muffin?? Nope. It was there and it looked good. That's why I wanted it.

gammazach 09-07-2013 01:59 PM

Buying groceries the non carbers in the family is a tough temptation, but it is doable.

MtherGoos 09-07-2013 02:25 PM

For me, I think about how I'll feel AFTER I eat it. I KNOW I'll regret it and be sorry. And I think about how I'll feel when I have to face the scale the next day. So far, I haven't wanted anything badly enough to want to feel that way.

Kaillean 09-07-2013 03:08 PM

On tough days I forget about focusing on my goal and just focus on getting through the next meal, the next hour,whatever. One day at a time. I used to even tell myself not today but if you still want it tomorrow you can have it. By the next day I was usually feeling stronger. Especially since if you stay strong you might see the scale go down. It is not worth cheating and having to take several days to get back where you started.

Have a really good but legal dinner. For me that means something fatty and yummy like hollandaise on meat,or fish or a cream sauce or chicken wings. Sometimes I would have a few berries and Devon cream or make LC peanut butter cups. But even that can be risky if you are feeling weak.

DownSizin' 09-07-2013 07:12 PM

When a craving comes upon me that either won't go away or I just don't want fight off, I usually whip up some high fat sweet with liquid splenda and cream cheese or coconut oil. Those days I will go over on calories and not lose any weight, but I stay on plan and do better the next day. For me, I would rather "cheat " on plan. I know that if I stray from my designated WOE I will feel like crap the next day and may not be able to get back on track. It has happened to me before.

Yvonnem2000 09-07-2013 09:35 PM

This was really good for me to hear today. Thank you!

Anonymousity 09-07-2013 10:53 PM

I'm not yet to the point of being able to have the willpower to overcome my cravings. That's the main reason I'm VLC at the moment. It's the only way I can avoid the cravings altogether and stay away from binging. But, without the cravings, I have no real desire to eat anything off plan.

Trigger828 09-08-2013 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzanneyea (Post 16594225)

I agree! I always want the fries also :)

but it is a choice. A simple choice. Yet it can seem so overwhelming sometimes to say no.

OP, I choose my battle really. Some days I eat some carby things and know they won't take me down a bad road, but most times I say NO and am fine with it or I get the cruddy feeling of 'life isn't fair and I should be able to eat all this junk and be ok' and pout a bit about it.

it is a daily battle most days. but we are losing on this board so we are winning somehow :)

teri f 09-08-2013 10:02 AM

I am the same as Anonymousity--I eat very low carb and high fat and don't have cravings at all. Haven't for a long time. I'm one of those people who happen to be very sensitive to carbs. I don't like cravings and I hate to feel hungry. I spent WAY to long trying to starve myself to lose weight. I'm so thankful I found a solution to my problem. :)

Punkin 09-08-2013 11:00 AM

Bingeing/cravings are physiological, not psychological. When your brain "thinks" it is not going to get the nutrients it needs, it signals for you to eat something. If it thinks it needs glucose you will get carb cravings. If it thinks it needs ketones, you will get fat cravings. People who get cravings do so because there is not enough of what the brain needs circulating in the blood to feed it. Usually because the nutrients are being stored rather than circulated. That is why thin people "seem" to be able to eat what they want. They actually eat less food overall, but their appetite is regulated better because the nutrients stay circulating rather than being stored. That is one of the reasons why a LC diet is easier when it comes to regulating appetite, it USUALLY means that the body will keep the nutrients in circulation. However, there are a few folks that that doesn't work for. Those people have to do VLC and supplement with a fat that will stay in circulation, fats like MCTs that are found in coconut products and dairy.

Leo41 09-08-2013 11:53 AM

Like Suzanneyea, I know that I will always want that cupcake, and I don't fool myself that my years of low-carb eating have eliminated those desires.

I've never smoked, but I come from a family of cigarette smokers (all of whom have quit), and my siblings tell me that despite not smoking for over 20 years, they have never lost the desire and could light up immediately if they made that choice.

I see my occasional attraction to that cupcake similarly. The desire isn't what's a problem; choosing to 'light up' (i.e., consume it) is the problem, and that's something I can control. My goal is to make the right choices on a daily basis.

DiamondDeb 09-08-2013 07:10 PM

As long as I avoid processed foods I have no cravings for junk. It is such a blessing. It frees me. I feel like I've been blessed by the Fat Loss Fairy or some such thing. It is like magic.
I also gave up dairy because something in it caused me to over-eat it. I never thought I could give up dairy but as long as I don't eat it I don't think about it. One bite & I would eat every bit of it available & want to run to the store for more. nothing that does that to me can be good for me.

I research a lot & can honestly say that what I've learned about junk food, sugar, etc. has been a big factor. I stopped thinking about how fattening & high carb junk foods are once I realized how horribly unhealthy they are - for everyone. Put that poison in my body? Not now. Not ever.

A little once in a while is not going to work for me. Ever. That is OK because I finally learned it is that once in a while that caused the struggles the rest of the time.

I can live & be happy with no junk, no processed foods and no cravings for them either. It is so simple & it makes my life so easy. Food is not a struggle anymore.

FitMommyNow 09-09-2013 07:03 AM

I've noticed that the days where it is REALLY hard, the next day is very easy. Just have to ride it out!

jeaniem 09-09-2013 07:34 AM

I hear you Gail! Sometimes I hesitate to post my thoughts or draw any concrete conclusions as to what works for me consistently as some days no matter what I eat I am either fighting hunger and/or carb cravings... other days I am completely satisfied.:stars: Also, one day I can totally talk myself out of caving in other days not so much:o

Kaillean 09-09-2013 10:54 AM

Last time I did this, I had a friend who did LC and was already at her goal weight. She used to tell me to stay strong on those super hungry days because they nearly always preceded a whoosh. She was right! I always get super hungry the day before a big loss.

Ntombi 09-09-2013 08:43 PM

I don't get cravings per se, but every once in a while, I get tempted to eat something off plan. A couple of weeks ago, I didn't have anything defrosted, which was a stupid oversight, and I was hungry. I started thinking about getting spicy (breaded) chicken wings from a fast food Chinese place nearby. Then I started thinking about getting real Chinese food from a different place. It was mostly about convenience, because I didn't have anything that I could make quickly, and I was HUNGRY. I knew I needed more than such a whiny reason to eat off plan, so I wasn't seriously going to do it, but it crossed my mind for a good five minutes.

I ended up getting a bunless burger from McDonald's instead. It wasn't thrilling, but it was on plan.

Then I brought some food out of the freezer for the next day!

Olive 09-09-2013 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntombi (Post 16597483)
I don't get cravings per se, but every once in a while, I get tempted to eat something off plan. A couple of weeks ago, I didn't have anything defrosted, which was a stupid oversight, and I was hungry. I started thinking about getting spicy (breaded) chicken wings from a fast food Chinese place nearby. Then I started thinking about getting real Chinese food from a different place. It was mostly about convenience, because I didn't have anything that I could make quickly, and I was HUNGRY. I knew I needed more than such a whiny reason to eat off plan, so I wasn't seriously going to do it, but it crossed my mind for a good five minutes.

I ended up getting a bunless burger from McDonald's instead. It wasn't thrilling, but it was on plan.

Then I brought some food out of the freezer for the next day!

I am so hopelessly disorganized about meals, that it's a wonder I don't cheat more than I do! The only thing I do right is to keep the fridge/pantry well-stocked no matter what. But I never know what I'm having for lunch or dinner until like right before.

And bunless burger from McDonalds = epitome of LC "emergency" food. Don't knock it! :)

Ntombi 09-09-2013 09:29 PM

Yeah, part of my long term success plan includes keeping the fridge well stocked. I ALWAYS have stuff in the freezer, and I'm good about the fridge about 90% of the time; I haven't eaten off plan since my January restart, so I guess that's good enough.

Kaillean 09-09-2013 09:38 PM

OMG. Do not talk about Chinese food. I LOVE Chinese food.

You did well to avoid it. Not being prepared is my downfall too. I'm good as long as the fridge is stocked. Hunger + empty fridge = big trouble.

Tracy0821 09-09-2013 09:50 PM

The worst for me are my days off from work. I work 3 twelve hour over night shifts ( 6 pm to 6 am) So I have 4 days off. if I go anywhere with hubby we are always debating out to eat or movies. So when I work it is easier for me.

Tracy0821 09-09-2013 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaillean (Post 16596649)
Last time I did this, I had a friend who did LC and was already at her goal weight. She used to tell me to stay strong on those super hungry days because they nearly always preceded a whoosh. She was right! I always get super hungry the day before a big loss.

Yes this seems to be true with me also. :D

Ntombi 09-09-2013 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaillean (Post 16596649)

I talked about this in the hunger thread a few days ago. When I'm having a really hungry day, I am usually down on the scale the next day.

And I eat when I'm hungry, so I'm not depriving myself for the scale, even if it means eating right before bed.

dgidaho 09-09-2013 10:26 PM

I know this is not exactly on topic, but here's a quick Chinese food fix.....miracle noodles stir fried with chicken (or whatever meat you want) and some veggies. Add soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, whatever you want. It's delicious and takes only minutes. I keep frozen grilled chicken strips in my freezer for emergencies like Ntombi described.

Ntombi 09-09-2013 10:39 PM

Yes, I make my own Chinese food too. :) With or without shiratake noodles.

I also eat Chinese food out, but that day I was contemplating eating stuff that wasn't exactly on plan.

Olive 09-09-2013 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tracy0821 (Post 16597511)
The worst for me are my days off from work. I work 3 twelve hour over night shifts ( 6 pm to 6 am) So I have 4 days off. if I go anywhere with hubby we are always debating out to eat or movies. So when I work it is easier for me.

Word. That's why I'm going to try to time cheat days with my days with my husband. I's so tough.