LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 09:13 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 10Poppies
Stats: Size 16. Marching toward size 6.
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 3/25/13
Attitude and weight loss - interesting article

Can our thinking affect our weight loss? I'm sure everyone here knows that it can. Here is a great article about a study done on negative thinking and weight loss. This study looked at the effects of acknowledging and then discarding negative thoughts. Write them down, suggests this study, and then rip up the paper and throw it away.

Google: ATTITUDE AND WEIGHT LOSS: THROW AWAY NEGATIVE THOUGHTS centerformedicalweightloss.

"To their surprise, the group that physically destroyed and discarded their written negative thoughts were much more likely to mentally discard them as well..."
10Poppies is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2013, 09:17 AM   #2
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
nice
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:42 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gardengoddess
Stats: 199 highest/187/157 current/130 5'2
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: Restart: 9/5/2013
Interested. Similar to writing your troubles and worries down and then burning them to free yourself.
gardengoddess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:30 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BulldogMom
Stats: 231/ 185.8 / 135
WOE: modified Atkins
Start Date: April 2013
Too bad we can't do that with the negative people in our lives. LOL I do believe the more positive we are, the more motivated we are and willing to do whatever it takes.
BulldogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:33 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Weezy
It makes a lot of sense. I think that negative thoughts can too easily lead us to rationalize eating something bad (grain, sugar)...kind of that "what the heck" mentality.

Next time I get that type of mind chatter going on, I'll try it! It is sometimes a real struggle to talk myself out of that type of negative cycle.
Weezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:59 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezy View Post
It makes a lot of sense. I think that negative thoughts can too easily lead us to rationalize eating something bad (grain, sugar)...kind of that "what the heck" mentality.

Next time I get that type of mind chatter going on, I'll try it! It is sometimes a real struggle to talk myself out of that type of negative cycle.
Good idea! Once my mind starts running on something negative, it's hard to snap out of it. Maybe writing it out and tearing it up will do the trick
Old 09-07-2013, 03:19 PM   #7
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Interesting but not anything new. It is just another take on replacing negative self-tapes with positive ones.

It does work. I did an experiment on myself years ago to prove it does not work and discovered that it does. Thank goodness!
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:05 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
I recently realized that I am very good at allowing other people to convince me that I should stay "fat," for them, so they can allow themselves to be fat as well. Or in some cases remain the "thin one with the best body." Losing a lot of weight in my case seemed to ruffle a lot of feathers in my social/family circle. I have no one to blame but myself and my negative thoughts though. LOL.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:48 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
I recently realized that I am very good at allowing other people to convince me that I should stay "fat," for them, so they can allow themselves to be fat as well. Or in some cases remain the "thin one with the best body." Losing a lot of weight in my case seemed to ruffle a lot of feathers in my social/family circle. I have no one to blame but myself and my negative thoughts though. LOL.
Punkin, me too! I have allowed friends and relatives to derail me during previous rounds of weight loss. "You're getting too thin!" said in an angry tone of voice was enough to knock me off track in the past. Hopefully that's a learned lesson and won't bother me this time (if I ever get thin again)
Old 09-10-2013, 01:02 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CaliOkieGal4now
Stats: 150/125/120 5'10''
WOE: Atkins & Power 90- All The Way!!!
Start Date: February 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Poppies View Post
Punkin, me too! I have allowed friends and relatives to derail me during previous rounds of weight loss. "You're getting too thin!" said in an angry tone of voice was enough to knock me off track in the past. Hopefully that's a learned lesson and won't bother me this time (if I ever get thin again)
Yes, this!!!

Much is simply jealousy/ insecurity.
Why should they 'care' if you get thin and fit? did they 'care' as you got fatter and fatter?

As for me, when I was fat and pudgy and unhealthy, no one "cared"
I had a 'pretty face" and a 'good personality"......never mind that I HATED how I looked and how I felt , and that at a heavier weight , felt invisible and unimportant....

and now????
now that I have been on-track with atkins for almost 10 years..been fit, healthy, slim, trim, for so many years......
do people still say I'm too thin??/

only the people who knew me when I was fat, and are STILL FAT THEM SELVES ( such as mother in law, my sister - who I s actually obese, and members on my hubbys side of family, who are ALL FAT )

People I meet now, who never knew me as a heavy person, never say I'm too thin or that I need to gain weight. To the contrary, I get constant compliments, from friends and even strangers, on my looks and fitness.

Its such an ego-booster, I sometimes have to remind myself not to get a big head about it. But I DID EARN THIS..I work very hard to stay on track, and to work out. I figure, I get one body for this experience called Life. And its up to me to maintain my "vehicle" so that I can enjoy the journey to the fullest.

I am ' DONE" with being invisible, miserable, fat, unhealthy, depressed, and sick, being over-weight.....I don't care 'who' want to say I need to gain weight. They don't live in MY skin - I DO!

so if anyone want to play that card with YOU....they can stick their comments where the sun don't shine...

Enjoy your new body and the joy that comes with accomplishing what you set out to do.... don't let anyone ROB you of your achievements...being thin takes work...bask in your glory, and the nay-sayers can eat your dusT!

:-)
CaliOkieGal4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:05 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CaliOkieGal4now
Stats: 150/125/120 5'10''
WOE: Atkins & Power 90- All The Way!!!
Start Date: February 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Poppies View Post
Yes, this!!!

Much is simply jealousy/ insecurity.
Why should they 'care' if you get thin and fit? did they 'care' as you got fatter and fatter?

As for me, when I was fat and pudgy and unhealthy, no one "cared"
I had a 'pretty face" and a 'good personality"......never mind that I HATED how I looked and how I felt , and that at a heavier weight , felt invisible and unimportant....

and now????
now that I have been on-track with atkins for almost 10 years..been fit, healthy, slim, trim, for so many years......
do people still say I'm too thin??/

only the people who knew me when I was fat, and are STILL FAT THEM SELVES ( such as mother in law, my sister - who I s actually obese, and members on my hubbys side of family, who are ALL FAT )

People I meet now, who never knew me as a heavy person, never say I'm too thin or that I need to gain weight. To the contrary, I get constant compliments, from friends and even strangers, on my looks and fitness.

Its such an ego-booster, I sometimes have to remind myself not to get a big head about it. But I DID EARN THIS..I work very hard to stay on track, and to work out. I figure, I get one body for this experience called Life. And its up to me to maintain my "vehicle" so that I can enjoy the journey to the fullest.

I am ' DONE" with being invisible, miserable, fat, unhealthy, depressed, and sick, being over-weight.....I don't care 'who' want to say I need to gain weight. They don't live in MY skin - I DO!

so if anyone want to play that card with YOU....they can stick their comments where the sun don't shine...

Enjoy your new body and the joy that comes with accomplishing what you set out to do.... don't let anyone ROB you of your achievements...being thin takes work...bask in your glory, and the nay-sayers can eat your dusT!

:-)
CaliOkieGal4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:16 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

CaliOkie, love your post, and wow, 10 years of success with Atkins. good for you!!! It's great to hear someone take pride in their success.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:19 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I have often thought the same damn thing. Seriously! They are happier when we are fatter!
Don't they ever stop and think about how crazy that is??
Old 09-10-2013, 05:36 PM   #14
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
I really don't think most people care or think about about our weight at all. sure, they will comment when they see us. That is pretty normal. I find the assumptions of jealousy mostly inaccurate. People are generally too self-absorbed to bother with that.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:14 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Skinny Train
I have a friend that currently will pretty much blow off any suggestion that we get together. We grew up together and have always had weight problems off and on. Mostly on. At one point, she began to gain more that I did because of some hormonal issues she was having. She didn't want anything to do with me even though I am still very heavy (224). At least, I'm pretty sure that's why. Most of her friends that she does things with are even heavier than she is. It's a security blanket. I'm hoping that after her recent WLS she will realize that I care about her very much and just want to spend time with her. I couldn't care less what size she wears or what number is on the scale. Outside of her health, of course. Quite frankly, it's none of my business. I just want my friend back.
Skinny Train is online now   Reply With Quote