LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 06:20 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luvmybabyhead
Stats: 342/288/275 (2nd goal)
WOE: LC/HF
Start Date: 7/17/13
Yet another calorie counting question

Hi all, I've been lurking for a while but I'm back on the low carb wagon and have lost 30 pounds in the last 8ish weeks. At first I was ravenous and was averaging about 1700 calories...but now I'm just not hungry. My DH is nagging me about it. I feel great and don't want to force myself to eat when I'm not hungry. That contributed to how I got to be 342 pounds!

Breakfast: 5 sausage links (2.5 carbs)
Lunch: 2-3 eggs with mayo (2 carbs)
Snack: whole avocado (4 carbs, I ignore fiber)
Dinner: meat and veggies (5 max but often less)

I eat the same thing every day for breakfast, lunch, and snack cause I'm at work and its cheap as well as easy to plan. Weekends I have bpc for "brunch" which are less than a carb. I also eat a little more for dinner since I skip a meal.

I measure everything. I track my calories & carbs with an online tracker and I am averaging 10-15 carbs and 1000 calories. I eat about 70% fat, 5% carb, and 25% protein loosely but I don't stress if those are a little off each day. I eat when I'm hungry but for 2.5 weeks I've only eaten 1000 calories a day max. I ignore fiber. I take a multivitamin, D3, mag, folic acid, fish oil. I don't have a thyroid so I take meds for that and its finally well controlled. I gained 50 lbs from poor thyroid control after my surgery but its in perfect range now and I feel great.

If I'm craving something sweet I have a piece of pumpkin bake with hwc or a half cup berries with hwc. Happens 1-2 days a week. Yesterday I did eat a blue M&M my 4 year old gave me. But that is the only cheat I've had since late July.

Thoughts? My DH is very familiar with LC but is stuck on my calories. I'm just tracking them because my tracker does it. I eat when I'm hungry, count carbs, and ignore calories. I'd love to get some input from fellow LCers.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2013, 07:57 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Looks *very* good to me. My days are very similar. Sometimes I'll eat my 1500 calories, and others I'm lucky if I hit 1000...which is probably why I've lost another 5 lbs over the last 2 months when I hadn't planned on it.

I would just keep telling your husband that if you're hungry, you'll eat. If you aren't, then your body is getting exactly what it needs.

Oh, and congrats on hitting your first goal!
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:00 AM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/154.2/?
WOE: lc
I would point out to him that you are getting a lot more nutrition out of those 1000 calories than you would eating the SAD.
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:05 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
You're also getting fuel from the body fat you're burning.
It might help your husband feel better if you reminded him of that. That's why I don't worry about a low calorie day.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:51 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luvmybabyhead
Stats: 342/288/275 (2nd goal)
WOE: LC/HF
Start Date: 7/17/13
That's what I was thinking...that I'm fine as long as I eat to hunger and stay on plan. My in laws are coming over today so we will go out to lunch and I am sure I'll eat more calories than I've been averaging lately. I never, ever starve, that's for sure!

Thanks for the comments, this forum really is awesome!
luvmybabyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:01 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BigRunner
Stats: 247/190/168
WOE: Paleo/Primal
Looks fine to me. Just remember there are bound to be days where you are off the rails hungry as well. Be sure to eat more when those days come along.

I have been overweight my entire life. I have found that as I nourish my body with the "correct LC foods", that I can then trust my hunger signals. I eat when hungry and don't when I am not. Sounds so simple, yet a million miles from where I started.

Last edited by BigRunner; 09-07-2013 at 09:01 AM.. Reason: spelling
BigRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:53 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: teri f
Stats: 203/127/125
WOE: High fat VLC
Start Date: Original start: January 3, 2001. Restart 6/18/2007
[QUOTE=BigRunner;16593950] I have been overweight my entire life. I have found that as I nourish my body with the "correct LC foods", that I can then trust my hunger signals. I eat when hungry and don't when I am not. Sounds so simple, yet a million miles from where I started.[/QUOTE

This is my experience as well. I can trust my hunger signals too. I eat when I'm hungry and don't when I'm not. I eat very high fat and very low carb. It works well for me. I would rather do this than eat higher carb and have to calorie count. That NEVER worked for me. Regardless of what some people say and think, there are those of us who do quite well "listening to our bodies".
Dr. William Castelli, a director of the Framingham Heart Study, (the longest running heart disease study), declared: "In Framingham, Mass, the more saturated fat one ate, the more cholesterol one ate, the more calories one ate, the lower the person's serum cholesterol...we found that the people who ate the most cholesterol,ate the most saturated fat, ate the most calories, weighed the least, and were the most physically active"
teri f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:14 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: ArdMaine
Stats: 6' 230/230/199
WOE: General low carb, less than 25gm carbs, whole food
Start Date: 6/15/14
My husband is like that too. They love us and just don't get the "not hungry" thing. You've Done fantastic!! One blue M&M cannot have more than 1 carb...lol.

Awesome job, you're doing Great!!
ArdMaine is offline   Reply With Quote