LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2013, 01:23 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Fighting4myLife
Stats: 150/144/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 2013
Low Carb Living for Health

I lived the low carb lifestyle for 7 years and maintained until my cancer diagnosis and then the depression and steroids kicked in and the appetite that comes with it Now that I've been tapered off of the steroids and I've come to terms with my "new" life, it's more important than ever to avoid sugar since cancer thrives on it.

Living low carb for as long as I did, I learned that feeling good is more important than just eating to eat. I lost my cravings and food became something to nourish my body with ~ not just something to make me happy. I'm so grateful that I know this way of life works and it kills sugar cravings. I'm hopeful that the lack of sugar will kill my cancer cells as well! I'm back on track and all ready not missing the sugar or carbs. I honestly believe there was a reason I embraced this WOE way back then and that reason was so that I could take care of myself when I truly needed to save my life ~ that time is NOW.
Fighting4myLife is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2013, 02:29 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Biochic
Stats: 192/138/?? 5'2"
WOE: Atkinesque
Start Date: 12/28/12
Good luck to you!
Biochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:17 PM   #3
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
So sorry to hear of your diagnosis. It's very true that this is the fight of your life. The low carb diet will go a long way toward helping your regain weight control. And will help the fluid weight from the steroids work its way off your body.

When I had cancer (I was Stage IIIC with a pretty aggressive breast cancer and 14 positive nodes out of 34 at surgery.), I not only low carbed, but I did research and decided the best thing for me was to also continue my intermittent, calorie restricted fasting. I believe it was very instrumental in shrinking the tumor over 60% prior to surgery and contributed in my remission.

I hope you will see similar success with your fight!

10/20/07-314; 11/26/07-275 Surgery - Tot.Hyst.; 08/5/10-275.0; 09/1-271.8-(Started JUDDD); 10/2-260.4; 3/1/12-231.0lbs 5/25/12-227.2lbs; 8/19/12-222.8lbs
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. ~ Philippians 4:13
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:40 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Thank you, Pooticus and Biochic! Unfortunately, there is no cure for my cancer and it is considered "terminal", but despite the statistics that say I only have 15 months - 24 months average to survive, I have read cases of people living 25 years after diagnosis and I intend to be one of them! I have children to see married and grandbabies to hold one day! So I'll let the doctors do their thing and I'll do mine with a positive attitude and a low carb diet.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LadyKT
Stats: 159/153/125 - 5'3"
WOE: Ah Ah Ah Ah Stayin' Alive, Stayin' Alive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting4myLife View Post
Thank you, Pooticus and Biochic! Unfortunately, there is no cure for my cancer and it is considered "terminal", but despite the statistics that say I only have 15 months - 24 months average to survive, I have read cases of people living 25 years after diagnosis and I intend to be one of them! I have children to see married and grandbabies to hold one day! So I'll let the doctors do their thing and I'll do mine with a positive attitude and a low carb diet.

My BFF's mom just got diagnosed with BC (not sure which stage she's at - she just had a lumpectomy and now they're recommending chemo for six months & then radiation ). BFFs sister & I are very big on 'cancer diets' although sister's is vegetarian and mine is keto. BFFs mom is a chocoholic sadly...ugh. I pray she'll be okay, but who knows. BFF is freaking out and now I am too. I really hope she will be okay.

OP im praying for you too. It's so hard, I can only imagine.
LadyKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:21 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
I believe that low carb is the best way to eat for a lot of medical conditions. Wishing you all the best!
Emily-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:41 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
Start Date: which time?
Wow. That has to be really hard. Have you looked at the bottom of your foot? Do you see an expiration date stamped there? Dr.'s can only guess... Good luck in your battle! There are a lot of good books & information on supplements that could help too. I wish you all the best & will keep you in my prayers...
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:36 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Thank you all! That comment about the bottom of my foot made me laugh. First thing I told my doctors when they gave me my prognosis was, " Easy there. Sit down, wipe that frown off your face and smile. We're going to be positive! We're a team and we're going to win and I am not a statistic! Only God will decide when my time is done, Kay? Kay! High-five! "