Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2013, 11:51 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/231/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
If You Have Kept Your Weight Off Long Term, Tell All Here!

If you have kept your weight off long term, why not help others with insight about how you have done this?

I think the key is to not view this as a diet at all, but a new lifestyle. I know we have heard this so many times, but it is worth repeating.

Also, I think a second key is to avoid processed foods. I think going paleo has helped me keep weight off, although I can't be sure I would have lost weight if I had started with paleo because that it is not how it happened for me.

Support! Some number of years in, when things got really, really hard, I found this board. Coming here daily to talk about whatever you need to is a godsend because where else can you find this? I don't know anyone in real life that has lost 100+ pounds on a low carb or a paleo diet (I do note one coworker that lost 90 on WW but that does NOT work for me), but I have found some inspiration here (and made some facebook friends from here and I know they are for real for sure) and I finally achieved that same thing myself after blood, sweat, and tears.

I have not been afraid to try different things when whatever I was doing stopped working. I have a wall full of books. I keep searching. You all are very interesting and have lead me to new ideas and new blogs and I keep making new discoveries!

So, thank you!!!!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html

Last edited by Key Tones; 09-06-2013 at 11:53 AM..
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2013, 12:23 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
I don't know anyone in real life who has lost 100 lbs by any method. That's a very impressive achievement!

I, too, appreciate being able to come here and be among friends!
Emily-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:45 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
I'm only at the 6 month mark for keeping mine off, but I get a lot of inspiration and motivation here...and not just from those who've taken it off and kept it off, but from those still struggling.

My key to keeping it off for the last 6 months has been to focus less on the weight and more on the health aspect. As a diabetic, even one small cheat has an immediate effect which continues for several days to a week on my BG numbers. Enough of these cheats and I'll be back on insulin.

I agree with you about the processed foods, but also the faux foods. I've had to learn the hard way that eating clean guarantees me success whereas trying to come up with low carb substitutes for high carb loves just leads me down that path where food becomes entertainment again.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:05 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/231/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily-D View Post
I don't know anyone in real life who has lost 100 lbs by any method. That's a very impressive achievement!

I, too, appreciate being able to come here and be among friends!
Oh, I didn't mean to make this a congratulatory thread, but thank you!

I'm not at goal yet. Sigh. I have lost only 15 or 20 pounds per year. It has been really, really slow. I started in 2005. I am lucky that my doctor recommended low carb, and I found out later that he is a paleo dieter himself.

I thought it might be helpful to start a 'how to keep it off' thread when I saw the 'convince me' thread about being brave enough to ditch the larger clothes.
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:55 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Fighting4myLife
Stats: 150/144/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 2013
I kept it off for 7 years. It truly did become a lifestyle and not one that I needed to even think about. It just became second nature to me. When I would go to a restaurant I would naturally order fajitas, no tortillas or salads with grilled chicken or steak, no croutons or tortilla strips. If I was at an Italian restaurant, a piece of grilled chicken with a side of alfredo sauce and a salad. I would weigh myself every morning, first thing, just to keep an eye on where I was. If I was up a pound or 2 I wouldn't freak out; I know there are a variety of reasons for the scale to move and tomorrow it could be down, but I always had a number where, if it hit that, then I wouldn't hesitate to go back to induction. I never had to because I always maintained my goal weight within a few pounds. I let myself have pizza once in a great while or a decadent dessert, but the majority of the time, low carb was my WOE. It's true what they say, it's what you do the majority of time that counts.

ETA: I gained due to a terminal diagnosis leading to depression and high-dose steroids, but I'm back on track.

Last edited by Fighting4myLife; 09-06-2013 at 03:57 PM.. Reason: Edited to add reason for gain
Fighting4myLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:47 PM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
Ten years for me. With a pregnancy in there. I keep it simple. If I eat anything that causes cravings or I cannot stop eating it, I eliminate it.
Bacon. Bacon makes everything better.
suzanneyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:26 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: LadyKT
Stats: 159/153/125 - 5'3"
WOE: WW Diva!
Start Date: May 20, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanneyea View Post
Bacon. Bacon makes everything better.
LadyKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:34 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: girondet
Stats: Maintaining 125-128, 5'5"
WOE: Bernstein/paleo
Start Date: May 2009
I've been eating low carb for 4 years now. It's the only way I can stay healthy and in normal weight range. I used to weigh 60 lbs more, for decades and was always on some kind of diet I couldn't stick to. Now I have a way of eating that works for me.
girondet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:10 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
I'm still losing, but I've never had a significant regain. I keep it simple, have an ironclad determination, and never quit. When I do make a mistake I get right back on the horse and have no other options. I've tweaked mightily over the years as needed, but low carb is the best fit and second nature now.

I'm at about 100 pounds lost (120 from all-time high weight) and have a few more to go. I've had two pregnancies during my journey and never bounced up more than ten pounds. A little vigilance and good dietary habits (keep a food log!) goes a very long way.

On a pregnancy break with baby #5 until January 2015
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:51 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ocean
Stats: 240/144/ Below 145 5'1.5"
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: June 2010
I have kept most of my weight off for a couple of years now. I still see it as a struggle, and I'm not quite where I want to be yet.

I do eat low carb overall, but I don't follow any particular plan to a tee. I allow myself certain indulgences that many low carbers would raise an eyebrow at. I eat lot of processed foods and fast food without the buns or taco shell. I take about one weekend off a month from low carb. If I have a special social occasion, I will eat carbier food. Having this sort of flexibility with my plan keeps me from feeling deprived and from giiving up. However, I am one of those kinds of people who has no problem getting right back on plan again. Not everybody is like that.

I think I have found a way of eating that I can live with for life. I really feel that this is the key to keeping the weight off. You need to find something that you are willing to do for the rest of your life.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:01 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BulldogMom
Stats: 231/ 185.8 / 135
WOE: modified Atkins
Start Date: April 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post

I thought it might be helpful to start a 'how to keep it off' thread when I saw the 'convince me' thread about being brave enough to ditch the larger clothes.
This is a great idea! This time has been more successful for me because of all the tips that I've gotten from this board.
BulldogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:00 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
I think I have found a way of eating that I can live with for life. I really feel that this is the key to keeping the weight off. You need to find something that you are willing to do for the rest of your life.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:46 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: martha
Stats: 138/102.3/107?
WOE: Low Carb Mediterranean/IF maintenance
Start Date: Feb. 25, 2013 Goal weight Sept. 11, 2013
I would love to see more people who are at or near maintenance write about their experience and strategies. I have a process going that I think will work -- I'm basically going by the book (New Atkins), adding carbs back a little at a time and watching what happens. So I'm still tracking just as carefully as before. I've also dialed up a little bit on the exercise and have switched to an IF plan that calls for an 8-hour eating window. And I'm eyeing a new (flexible) calorie level. Hoping that some combination of all this, whatever seems to work best, allows me to go on more-or-less automatic pilot and stay at my goal weight. But I don't mind telling you that it has made me really nervous to eat more, and I think maybe I will not be too bold till I see a few weeks with no gains.
martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:15 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: happyheart1
Stats: 218/maintaining 140-143/141
WOE: The Insulin Resistance Diet
Start Date: 7/09/07
weight loss maintained about 5 years. vigilance and steadfast endurance, just as during weight loss.
happyheart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:11 AM   #15
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I have been maintaining for just over 3 years, and it's basically been by being as vigilant as I was when actively losing. I am very carb sensitive, so I still eat only about 20g of carbs a day, although my basic 'philosophy' is that no food is forbidden.

If I 'indulge' in something beyond my basic eating plan, I ask myself whether the choice is consistent with my personal goals for weight management and my vision of myself. It's basically a cost/benefit analysis.

Once I lost the weight, I was shocked at my urges to compulsive overeating, and I've resolved that via a lot of reading about the problem. I now recognize those urges as coming from my 'evil twin,' a part of my brain that seeks instant gratification via food pleasures. The more I resist its urges, the easier it becomes to stifle its voice.

The challenges of maintenance have been different from those during weight loss, but, for me at least, they have been even more difficult. But there is no way that I will allow myself to regain. It's not an option.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:20 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jrw85705
Iíve got 1 year of weight loss and going on 2 years of maintenance. I rely on my blood glucose meter and my scales to tell me everything is still okay. And I keep a spreadsheet of my weight and blood sugar numbers.

Iíve had to accept the fact that all of the carb-laden foods, that I loved, are simply not part of my life anymore. And that is easy to accept since I am not hungry all of the time.

I have discovered, for me, that weight loss and maintenance are two totally different states of mind. The ongoing journey of weight loss with itís successes and setbacks is like climbing a mountain, everyday moving a little forward with a slip every now and then. But always there is that goal number in front of me. Maintenance is like walking on an almost level road with tiny ups and downs with a more amorphous goal, donít gain back the weight.

Without being vigilant everyday I could easily fall out of maintenance. So I weigh myself every morning and write it all down and when I wonder if Iím doing the right thing I look back at where I was 3 years ago and where I am now and I know I made the right decision.
I wonít define myself by a disease.
Jrw85705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:22 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fsfty
Stats: 265/184/184 6'2" Start 6/9/11, Goal 12/9/11
WOE: Lifetime Maintenance
Start Date: June 9, 2011
Realize its a lifetime commitment, don't listen to the little voice saying "one cheat is ok" and exercise exercise exercise. It shouldn't just be a "diet" change but also a change in how you treat your body. I didn't exercise during weight loss, or before that, for that matter. It really helps physically and mentally as well.
fsfty is offline   Reply With Quote