Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Favorite LC staple that you love (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/811646-favorite-lc-staple-you-love.html)

Iowa 09-06-2013 11:13 AM

Favorite LC staple that you love

I love eggs! High protein and quick to make into many delicious meals.

I'm not sure how to put a quote on the bottom of my messages but my favorite quote is:

"Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels"

princessmommy 09-06-2013 11:35 AM

Bacon! Hands down! Love me some pig! Lol!!

Jackie123 09-06-2013 12:27 PM

Lamb chops broiled with olive oil and spices. Ribeye steak broiled with olive oil and spices. Heck, any hunk of meat broiled with olive oil and spices. And bacon.

pooticus 09-06-2013 12:41 PM

Oh my so many!

Fav meal ATM is: tri-colored cabbage, baby spinach, garlic, s/p, sambal oelek, red onion and either scrambled eggs or over-easy fried eggs.

I go through stages of love with different LC staples!

Key Tones 09-06-2013 01:01 PM

Kerrygold butter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cauliflower mashed "potatoes"

Herb grilled wild-caught salmon collars (ask the butcher for this cut - whole foods around here will actually sell it to you at the "fish bait price" calling it trim or fish heads, but this is my favorite cut of all.

Normandy vegetables coated with ghee and roasted!

Frozen berries mixed with frozen spinach and grass-fed heavy cream and stevia - who needs ice cream!

NineOhNine 09-06-2013 01:34 PM

Ditto on the sambal oelek! Onions, garlic, avocado, frozen berries blended with cream, versatile ground beef.

Stacy O 09-06-2013 02:23 PM

eggs/cheese/burgers/shrimp/hwc/coffee/water

GailyGail 09-06-2013 02:45 PM

I divide them into my favorite SuperFoods, Good Foods and Naughty Foods:

SuperFoods (try to have them all the time)
Salmon, chicken, broccoli, sauteed spinach, leafy salad greens with olive oil/lemon juice

Good Foods (try to have them a few times weekly)
Turkey burgers with homemade low carb ketchup, homemade low carb cole slaw, sauteed chicken in a tomato cream sauce

Naughty Foods (I have these sparingly when I need a treat)
Icy cold vodka gimlets made with fresh lime juice, spiced mix nuts, eggplant gratin, low-carb berry cobbler with whipped cream

Ntombi 09-06-2013 03:05 PM

A thick ribeye steak with a great seat, cooked medium rare, topped with a generous pat of Boursin garlic and herb cheese. :yummy:

I had that yesterday, in fact, but with jalapeño cream cheese. So freaking good!

Roasted Brussels sprouts with sea salt and olive oil. (It's still a shock to me how much I love Brussels sprouts! I spent most of my life loathing them.)

King crab legs or lobster with lots of melted Kerrygold butter.

Jalapeño poppers with habenero peppers mixed in with the cream cheese filling, wrapped in a good bacon.

A pan seared sockeye salmon with crispy skin.

There are so many. :D

gordita 09-06-2013 03:30 PM

GailyGail, I like the way you broke things down.

I like cream, cheese, eggs, butter, OLIVE OIL.

I really do like carbs in the form of pasta, potato, and bread. So that is sorely missed. I know you didn't ask for that, but I haven't found a true replacement for those. The cauliflower comes pretty close to the potato, if it weren't for the bloating.

Kittycatmom 09-06-2013 03:31 PM

Cauliflower "rice" sautéed in olive oil and topped with a little Kerrygold butter. My new favorite food!

nikkipowell 09-06-2013 03:45 PM

I love cream cheese. I use it in vegetables, casseroles, & desserts.

GailyGail 09-06-2013 05:37 PM

Gordita, LOL! I also like the favorites you listed. As for finding a pasta substitute, have you tried the Miracle Noodles or zucchini sliced super thin with a mandolin? Some folks use the gourmet coleslaw mix that you can find in some stores (got to pick out the carrots though). As for bread, you can make good rolls/bisquits with CarbQuick, this fabulous low carb flour that you can buy on Netrition. Julian Bakery has zero carb bread too. As for potatoes, you got me there. You already have cauliflower, which serves as a great alternative particularly for mashed potatoes. Some people use jicama in place of french fries, etc. Others use kale to make kale chips (replaces potato chips).

I have come to the conclusion that I can find healthy low carb foods to replace some of my old favorites (bunless burger, grilled chicken romano are just fine for me) while probably won't be able to replace others like potato chips, chex mix (nuts don't quite cut if for me), french fries, etc. At this point, I'd rather be thin than have those things anyway.

evas 09-06-2013 05:42 PM

I have to do some hardcore budgeting so a lot of times I just can't buy my favorite foods. The list below contains the things that I ALWAYS keep on hand no matter what, even if the rest of my fridge and pantry is empty!

Coconut Oil
Pepperoni or bacon (These cost about the same so I usually alternate)
Marie's blue cheese dressing
Butter Lettuce
Ground Beef (isn't it great that the fattiest kind is the cheapest kind?)
Some kind of hard cheese (usually cheddar, sometimes parmesan)
Eggs
Some kind of nuts (usually sunflower seeds or raw almonds)

Everything else is on a "when I can afford it" basis or a "when I feel like it" basis.

4myfuture 09-06-2013 06:37 PM

Bagged salads-convience factor!

Olive 09-06-2013 07:15 PM

Roasted dark meat chicken with crispy skin.

drjlocarb 09-06-2013 07:30 PM

MEAT AND VEGGIES! (Almost all of them.)

I do love all my LC baked goods too. Yes, I am a food chemist.

I do love my WOEing, (almost all of the time). I know that sounds like a commercial, but I do love the food I eat.

I had someone ask "WHAT do you eat"??, and I said "FOOD". What do you say??

Arctic_Mama 09-06-2013 07:30 PM

Oh wow, I love it all. Charcuterie, cheese, a super fatty and dangerously rare ribeye, cream, you name it. I particularly love eggs and am always surprised when someone is sick of them. I could eat fried and boiled eggs three at a time, months on end, and still love it.

Biggy Fat 09-06-2013 08:44 PM

I know I haven't started low carbing yet, but beef, beef, and more BEEF is gonna rule on this diet. Eggs I like as well, hard boiled.

I WISH I could find some breakfast bacon and breakfast sausage that is low carb friendly in the store, but IMO, the jury is still out on those. Most, if not all of the bacon and sausage I found is sugar cured, and sugar is low carbing's KOD (Kiss of Death). I have my doubts about them, so I'll stay away.

Ocean 09-06-2013 08:54 PM

I love beef and cheese. I pretty much have something cheesy and beefy every day. I also like shrimp and lobster a lot. I just don't have them as often.

Ntombi 09-06-2013 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntombi (Post 16593186)
A thick ribeye steak with a great seat, cooked medium rare, topped with a generous pat of Boursin garlic and herb cheese. :yummy:

I had that yesterday, in fact, but with jalapeño cream cheese. So freaking good!

Roasted Brussels sprouts with sea salt and olive oil. (It's still a shock to me how much I love Brussels sprouts! I spent most of my life loathing them.)

King crab legs or lobster with lots of melted Kerrygold butter.

Jalapeño poppers with habenero peppers mixed in with the cream cheese filling, wrapped in a good bacon.

A pan seared sockeye salmon with crispy skin.

There are so many. :D

Since we're talking about it, I'll add some visual aids...

https://sphotos-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/h...19388624_n.jpg
Ginger garlic wings

https://sphotos-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/h...13374216_n.jpg
Ribeye steak with Boursin cheese

https://sphotos-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/h...06464880_n.jpg
Shrimp with garlic and sautéed spinach with mushrooms

https://sphotos-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/h...18977410_n.jpg
A ten pound ham. :yummy:

https://sphotos-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/h...57786829_n.jpg
Braised short ribs and homemade coleslaw.

https://sphotos-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/h...37549900_n.jpg
Caramelized brussels sprouts with lemon juice.

What could be better?

llisarray 09-06-2013 10:25 PM

That was mean Ntombi !!!! Lol Bacon and Steak !!

Chocolate Rose 09-06-2013 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntombi (Post 16593525)
Since we're talking about it, I'll add some visual aids...

Ginger garlic wings

Would you be willing to share this recipe?

Ntombi 09-06-2013 10:53 PM

Sure. :)

Marinade: ginger, garlic, sesame oil, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, the juice from a jar of hot cherry peppers, SF maple syrup, SF raspberry syrup, and some habanero mustard, with some safflower oil to extend it. Play around with it to suit your tastes. Each time I've made them, they've been a bit different, but always delicious!

You can prepare and marinate the wings a day or two ahead of time, or even put the whole shebang into a freezer bag, remove all the air, and freeze for much later. Making one batch for now and one for later is a great time saver.

Preheat oven to 450*

Use a silpat or parchment paper for easy cleanup.

Bake at 450* for about 20-30 minutes, depending on the size of the wings.

While it's in the oven, reduce some of the marinade in a small saucepan until slightly sticky. Baste with the reduced marinade about halfway through.

Chocolate Rose 09-06-2013 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntombi (Post 16593589)
Sure. :)

Thanks!! They sound awesome!

GailyGail 09-07-2013 02:13 AM

Ntombi, thank you for the chicken wing recipe. Those sound fantastic!

shortcut 09-07-2013 04:19 AM

Spaghetti made with spaghetti squash. Steakums in a frying pan with green peppers and onions.

JMacB 09-07-2013 06:21 AM

"Loaded" broccoli with butter and sour cream!

TiaraTiffany 09-07-2013 06:50 AM

Spinach. I love spinach ! For me, its so versatile. I can eat it as a salad, or in a pan cooked with some olive oil, mushrooms, diced hot peppers, or stuffed into my chicken, or mixed with some cream cheese and use it as a spread. I want a t-shirt that says, " I love spinach". LOL

Trigger828 09-07-2013 07:44 AM

steak is key on protein YUM

garlic butter and alfredo sauce goes on darn near everything I make. love the tastes

PS--those pics are great!!!!!