Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   I felt I needed to explain myself (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/811644-i-felt-i-needed-explain-myself.html)

Jrw85705 09-06-2013 10:15 AM

I felt I needed to explain myself

The other day I was at the grocery store to pick up a few salad items and chicken breasts and a 5-pound bag of white sugar. Itís a Safeway I go to often and when the checker got to the sugar I blurted out ďThatís not for me. Itís for my humming bird feeders.Ē You would have thought I was buying a copy of the National Enquirer or a romance novel and wanted to make sure no one thought it was for me.

The checker who was taking care of my order just looked at me and said, ďOkĒ.

I guess Iím so proud of staying on low carb for almost 3 years I didnít want anyone to think Iíd fallen off the wagon. It was all my own perception since they really donít care what I buy. In the past if I were picking up a bag of cookies or a box of apple fritters I wouldnít have cared. I might have even started eating them as I was leaving the store.

But the humming birds have to eat so I will continue to buy them sugar whenever it is needed.

emel 09-06-2013 10:35 AM

lol

My hummingbirds are a bunch of clowns. I love to watch them fussing over who gets the best perch on the feeder.

erinmarie 09-06-2013 10:39 AM

Haha I love it!

rose1 09-06-2013 11:18 AM

That's cute. :laugh:

As an aside, I've often wondered how sugar can be good for the little things. I have them all over the place, but I don't have feeders, simply because I don't want to mess with cleaning, filling. I have some flowers near the house and I guess there is plenty for them somewhere at the edge of the woods. My husband used to put out a couple of feeders at the beginning and end of the season, but I always felt guilty about feeding them sugar water. :o end T/J

Tabacblond 09-06-2013 02:48 PM

So cute!

10Poppies 09-06-2013 02:57 PM

:laugh:LOL!

AnnetteW 09-06-2013 03:14 PM

Thanks for making me laugh.

I used to be a grocery checker. A bag of sugar wouldn't make me bat an eyelash. But some carts were only carbs, treats, sodas, and frozen meals. That made me gringe....but I never said anything, not my place.

I love hummers (the bird, that is.)

Ntombi 09-06-2013 03:25 PM

:laugh: I would probably feel weird with that in my cart too.

Olive 09-06-2013 07:18 PM

My hummingbirds are such junkies. They'll drink for like a half hour, try to tear themselves away but keep coming back. Then they get into sugar rush-fuelled fights with each other over the feeder.

Olive 09-06-2013 07:21 PM

Oh, and I feel like I'm buying cocaine whenever I put a 4-lb bag of sugar in my cart (my family practically lives on fresh lime-aid). Lol

Aomiel 09-07-2013 08:05 AM

This cracked me up because I've done the same thing. The checkers at our local supermarket know me...and know I low carb in our house due to my diabetes (it's a small town). So the first time I came through with a 10 lb bag of sugar this past April, the eyebrows went up. Of course I had to explain that it was for the little hummers. :D

BigRunner 09-07-2013 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnetteW (Post 16593195)
I love hummers (the bird, that is.)

:hyst::lol:

scalestepper 09-07-2013 09:27 AM

That is so funny!

Aomiel 09-07-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRunner (Post 16593961)
:hyst::lol:

:D

pickles1010 09-07-2013 11:07 AM

I just did the same thing, was having about 10 hummers all of a sudden no sugar in the house.They mostly disappear in the hot hot summer. Had so many last week needed to fill 2 feeders every day. Now its back to 2-3

MissBeeps 09-07-2013 11:18 AM

I feel the same way but those little guys will come right up to the window and stare at me while I work if I don't get them their crack!

To add to it, my water kefir eats demerara so I'm often buying TWO kinds of sugar.

Erin57 09-07-2013 12:27 PM

Great post JWR! We've been loading up on the sugar here also. I'm going through about a cup a day. We get the big swarm here in September when they are on the way back home. They've been stopping by my sugar hotel for many years now.

Today we have quite a few. Maybe 15? I have 15 feeders set up and rotate and clean 5 a day until the end of October. Hummer migration time is a huge party at this house!