LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2013, 08:11 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: erinmarie
Stats: 137/118/ 110
WOE: Modified Atkins/ vlc/frankenfood free
Start Date: last start 8/11, restart 7/28/13
Some Days I'm Hungrier. Triggers?

Somedays I'm just starving in the morning and somedays my Bpc keeps me full all afternoon. Is it fluctuating needs or triggered I wonder? Should I eat or keep my routine?
erinmarie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Hopefully someone has the answer. I'm not even sure I'm dealing with hunger, but I'm struggling with wanting to eat...and not the stuff I'm allowed to have.

In the past, if I upped my fats, that took care of it, but it's not working this time. The only thing keeping me on track...and I mean the *only* thing...is knowing that caving in even once will mess with my BG for a week.

We're supposed to go to a rodeo tomorrow night and I'm kind of dreading all the food smells.

To answer one of your questions, even though I need to stick to around 1500 calories as more, over time, will cause weight gain, I've been closer to 2000 for the last 4 days. I figure eating more fat calories is better than sucking down a high carb no-no.

Type 2 controlled by low carb diet <25gm carbs and and controlled protein.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:30 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jhbyrd
Stats: 235/175/150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
I have days when I am wanting to eat and some days not but I know if I put one bad carb to my lips it will end with more bad carbs!!! I think it is in my head more than my stomach though!!

Jeannie
jhbyrd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:29 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I have hungry days and less hungry days. I don't worry about it. I eat on plan, eat when I'm hungry, and snack when I'm less hungry. (I have a history of skipping meals, so I work at not allowing myself to do that, even if it means just having a few bites of something)

I do sometimes find that when I'm really hungry late in the day, I have a loss the next morning, even though I've had a bedtime snack or late meal.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:32 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gordita
Stats: HW:338 CW:250 GW:189
WOE: LCHF
IF you're a female, I'd say hormones. They can fluctuate daily. It sounds foo-foo, but for real, it can be a culprit.
gordita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:25 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Olive
WOE: <20 net carbs/day
Start Date: May 12 2014
Don't worry about it. If you're feeling hungry, eat all you need to -- just legal food. I'm sure at one point in the future we'll be able to swipe our phones over our belly buttons and it'll accurately tell us why things are happening in our body, but we're just not there yet. seriously though
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:06 AM   #7
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
It is normal, at least for me.

Every so often I'll have a day when I am starving. I listen to my body & feed it with extra healthy food. Yesterday was one of those days. I ate over 600 extra calories & I ate right before bedtime, something I do not normally do. I expected a big water weight jump on the scale this morning but it was down almost a pound. lol...
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:19 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: ArdMaine
Stats: 6' 230/230/199
WOE: General low carb, less than 25gm carbs, whole food
Start Date: 6/15/14
I'm like this too. I noticed last Wednesday I kept thinking about cheating, I even took a handful of change to the vending machine at work and ended up buying a diet coke (I never drink soda) and eating an Atkin's bar I had in my desk. I was just HUNGRY all day. Lo and behold I got home and started my TOM. It was all hormonal...

Then there's days where I'm just not satisfied with what I eat. It's mostly when I do not plan ahead and eat something Meh...then I begin grazing.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:21 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
I have a history of being a yoyo dieter 8(. I can lose, stand being hungry in order to decrease my calorie intake and get to my goal. Then after I go off the diet I overeat and slowly gain back the weight. I THOUGHT I was just eating normally but it turns out I wasn't. I can't really eat carbs, my metabolism doesn't really handle it well. I also can't eat a lot of processed foods either, I am finding out. When I eat, it is often not for nutrition reasons. Of course, this applies to me, not saying that is the reason why everyone struggles to keep a healthy weight. Although I find it suspect that all my friends "eat clean" and yet have to go to fertitilty clinics in order to get pregnant. Meanwhile woman in Africa who apparently have unhealthy diets and suffer from all kinds of illness/disease, can get pregnant at the drop of a hat. hmmmmm......what's wrong with this picture.

My point is that I don't think our diet is as healthy as we think it is or that we have been lead to believe. My advice is to start with a list of whole foods that you like and can live off of that fit your WOE. If you have a processed food that is a vice. For example "pork rinds." try to make it yourself, if you can't and you have to buy it. Make sure you know exactly what is in it and write it down. Also research into the food, how it is made etc. Because you will find that sometimes what you think is hunger is actually more like a digestion issue or a intolerance/sensitivity to the food, or something that has been put into it. If you are eating whole foods it is much easier to figure out, if you are eating a lot of processed foods it could be anything. For example I learned the other day that some people can't eat just egg whites. Because you need the digestive enzymes to digest the proteins in the whites that are found in the yolks. I used to always be starving after eating egg whites and couldn't figure out why. Even when I drown them in a ton of butter. I get more satiety eating the whole eggs with no butter than the egg whites with butter. But it took experimenting to figure that out. Hope that helps.

One thing that does help too is eating foods that contain MCTs. Coconut products, cheeses or high fat dairy (sheep and goat are the best), and MCT oil as a backup. I try not to use the MCT oil if I can help it, only because it causes a bit of an inbalance in the type of fat you are taking in. It is better to get it as a side benefit from whole foods. But there are days when I just can't get in enough and I have to use it.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:00 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

I haven't been tempted to cheat at all just find it odd how I am starving an hour after Bpc one day and have to reming myself of food the next... In the end I made a bullet proof frappaccino for myself an made sure to add enough coconut oil( yes it freezes but it just works with the icy texture) and the hunger went away- so much so that I had to force dinner- I thought of hormones but at this point of my cycle that didn't make a whole lot of sense... It was likely the result of too little coconut oil in my first cup of coffee- I eyeballed it- or a rapid whoosh of weight... I seem to have dumped quite a bit in the last day or so... I decided to follow my cues in the future and allow myself enough legal foods to feel well...I eat pretty clean and while an extra salad or serving of veggies may slow loss it won't likely derail me .
Old 09-07-2013, 11:02 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

The only processed food I eat is Splenda and that's rare.. Also just read that. Sorry...
Old 09-07-2013, 12:06 PM   #12
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
In my experience cravings triggered by processed foods feel very different than hunger.

Sometimes we need more. It is fine to eat more on those days just as it is fine to eat less on days we are not very hungry. Feeling more hungry than normal sometimes is not a bad or unusual thing & it does not mean one is thinking of "cheating."
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:20 PM   #13
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
i think it is quite normal.

yesterday was my hungriest day since 8/14/13, despite the metformin. i did not go overboard in carbs or food quantities. today, not so hungry. i am extra cautious when i get that hungry. very easy to blow the whole program. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:21 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Catzmom
Stats: 228/179/145
WOE: THM
Start Date: Half-hearted start 10/12 - Re-start July 25, 2013
I don't know what set it off, but I was starving all day today. When I went through my Atkins shake, my emergency back-up Atkins shake, and my lunch, all by 10:00 a.m., I knew I was in trouble at work.

I had a huge salad and 2 pieces of salmon for dinner. Still hungry and wanted junk. So.. I cut half of a low carb vanilla muffin into cubes (2 carbs), topped it with 4 strawberries squished up with some liquid sweetner (4.9 carbs), and topped that with some splenda-made whipped cream! That did it! Now I am happy and full!!
Catzmom is offline   Reply With Quote